so where are all the steele haters?

aubiefifty

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Two breakdowns in a game is pretty good defense.  That said, the defensive calls were good.  The first breakdown happened when Tre didn't drop deep enough into his cv 2 middle zone. Even then it took a perfect pass. The second breakdown looked like we were in cv4, Except they were in trips open, which locks the back side corner and rolls the weak side safety to play #3. He had two into his zone and jumped #2, but should've played over the top of #3 with underneath help from the LB.  That was really the only breakdown. The first was just poor execution. Tre was playing it correctly just not well.

At first I saw this and didn't even look at who posted thinking it was Flex....Noice bird!

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

I agree with BB.  2 breakdowns isn't enough to lose sleep over.  Plus, that QB last night is a graduate transfer who played at Pittsburgh.  He knew what he was doing and our D handled them pretty good.

I'll take 2 per game all day..................as long as the other team has 3 or more

Great insight. I agree that two breakdowns are not that bad. There wasn't too much negativity flooding the board so I figure most of the posters here agree with that. 

just for the record i said " i am a happy camper so far". not sure that is beating ones chest but thanx. i will beat my chest and crow to the high heavens over auburn any day or night of the week. i am just elated. we have looked so bad for so long and the worst was lsu and their monster running back i will rejoice in the good times as they come. but notice how much harder this teams seems to be playing? and of course i admit to knowing the basics on football at best. yes i played aya in germany but all i got out of that was the behind puckering response of the old bull in the ring that was outlawed years ago. i am just talking improvement! i WILL take what i can get. and when we had a one handed grab     for a td when our guy was smothered and another hurdle for a touchdown........for one day..christmas came early.  anyway baring injury i bet we get better and better.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

just for the record i said " i am a happy camper so far". not sure that is beating ones chest but thanx

You were beating your chest within your naturally confrontational title. That much is obvious. 

I just hope we can keep the same staff for another year, think about that. McGriff is my favorite coach, he is the best teacher out there imo. People forget Twill was taught by Whitt and he coaches just like him.

i believe it is called finally enjoying the season. pleae do not tell me what i am thinking. and i was nice. i have been watching auburn since the sixties and i certainly know how a season can turn. as far as steele i never bad mouthed him not praised him but i figured if he was at lsu, clemson, and bama more than once he has to have some coaching chops. and i dislike people that trash folks and will not admit maybe they were wrong. and so far the steele haters are wrong. how many have class enuogh to step up and say yeah i said it. maybe i am wrong. because if you spout of stupid stuff about coaches and you refuse to admit you are wrong then i and i am sure many others quit taking some of you serious. not a troll. not mad. not thinking steele is the second coming of football jesus or something. i am just happy with visable progress made. and i believe it continues.............war eagle baby......

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

We seem to be playing fundamentally better. However, we reversed course for the better at the tail end of last year with Muschamp. Our defensive resurgence cannot be completely credited to Steele. Steele seems to be calling good games but I don't think we really know how good our defense will be yet. Nor do we have a decent sample size to determine Steele's impact on our defense. If we continue playing great, then Steele should receive credit for it. 

Our defense has a chance to be special this year thanks to our depth and talent in the front 7 though. Steele inherited a highly talented group of leaders on defense in Holsey, Adams, and Lawson plus some great linebackers. Our defense looks great for a variety of reasons.

It sounds like all Steele has to be is emulate Larry Coker and allow the culture to remain prevalent 

5 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I'm sure you'll get the " just wait till conference play" response 

As he should. These strong declarations after 2 games are amusing. Let's just keep getting better on both sides of the football and after the next 2 home games maybe and that's a slight maybe people can say i told you so.

Hes doing a solid job of holding the defense together and continuing what WM started. The talent and depth at d line has helped big time. Travis Williams has done a heck of a job with the linebackers. A big thing that KS has going is having great senior leadership with Carl and Monty.

He's held things together thus far but let's give more than two games to deem him great. 

one last time. i am enjoying winning a game. to be fair......if steele screwed up bad in either of the first two games some would be bashing him for days and pages. now i praise his job so far in two games and it is lets wait until conference play. lol   ok wid dat. see how some of you nice folks look at things? at 61 most of us geezers try to enjoy what we got. i will enjoy steele and whomever until they give me reason not to.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

one last time. i am enjoying winning a game. to be fair......if steele screwed up bad in either of the first two games some would be bashing him for days and pages. now i praise his job so far in two games and it is lets wait until conference play. lol   ok wid dat. see how some of you nice folks look at things? at 61 most of us geezers try to enjoy what we got. i will enjoy steele and whomever until they give me reason not to.

Did a 61 year old "geezer" just say "ok wid dat?"

I guess it's hard for some to give credit to Steele and Kodi. They are here coaching now. They deserve the credit for what the team is doing now. Both of their units have looked a lot better than they did last year. They both more fundamentally sound and active on the field. Not to mention trending upward heading into SEC play. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Did a 61 year old "geezer" just say "ok wid dat?"

yessir. been in bands off and on since 78 when bill paying work allowed me time to gig. and i bet your mouth would fall open if you heard me sing. yeah i am bragging but then i earned it.lol.

As much as I do not like Saban, I can say that his assistant defensive coaches are schooled well and tend to make good coaches and coordinators when they move on. Coach Steele is remembered when his defense at Clemson got destroyed by West Virginia by a score of 70-34 I think. Folks tend to forget that Venables defense at Clemson was lit up by FSU for over 50 some odd points. LSU's coveted DC had 59 points laid on his Wisconsin team during the Big 10 championship game a few seasons back. Gus put 44 points in 2014 against Smart's defense at bammer. Venables had 45 points laid on his defense in the title game and Smart had 40 points laid on his final bammer defense. What I am trying to get across is that very good DCs every so often get beaten by a lot of points. Take away that the 70 point game at Clemson, Steele's defenses at Clemson faired pretty well over the time Steele was the DC there. I do not see any offense coming close to scoring over 40 points this year. Steele has got his defense playing at a level that I have not seen in a good while. I see him having a solid game plan for TAMU that will give us a decent chance to come away with a win.

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

I guess it's hard for some to give credit to Steele and Kodi. They are here coaching now. They deserve the credit for what the team is doing now. Both of their units have looked a lot better than they did last year. They both more fundamentally sound and active on the field. Not to mention trending upward heading into SEC play. 

Agree. 

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

We seem to be playing fundamentally better. However, we reversed course for the better at the tail end of last year with Muschamp. Our defensive resurgence cannot be completely credited to Steele. Steele seems to be calling good games but I don't think we really know how good our defense will be yet. Nor do we have a decent sample size to determine Steele's impact on our defense. If we continue playing great, then Steele should receive credit for it. 

Our defense has a chance to be special this year thanks to our depth and talent in the front 7 though. Steele inherited a highly talented group of leaders on defense in Holsey, Adams, and Lawson plus some great linebackers. Our defense looks great for a variety of reasons.

That is the most important thing to me.  Clemson and Arkansas State may not be offensive juggernauts at present, but I did not see the two things that have bothered me the most about Auburn defense for the past several years.  Passes are not being completed to wide open receivers over and over and over and over, and tackling is much better.

I was not critical at all about Steele's hiring, but I am still not ready to have faith in the defense yet (a habit acquired from years of watching bad defense).  That said, I can at least say with certainty that the defense has improved and definitely not regressed with Steele running it.

I really don't know WHO is responsible for the change in defensive philosophy but I like the aggressiveness, and general overall improvement in fundamentals. It may have started with CWM and his coaches, doesn't matter. During the last 8 years, only the "2nd half"  2010 defense was stout. Whether we are as good as we looked (to date) or we caught both teams at a weaker moment, time will tell. Coaching and player chemistry has a lot to do with the results, maybe as much as one's ability. Results is all that matters. I saw improvement, BIG improvement from the end of last season. Started with the Bowl game.

On 9/11/2016 at 8:39 AM, aubiefifty said:

two games in and i am a happy camper so far. sad only the mostly open minded people will give him some love here on the board. he is a bummer guy no more. and he seems to be a team player as well.

Steele is a bammer guy? Where did this come from? He coached at uat. Ok.  Like calling CRG a leghumper. 

Threads like this always end up biting the OP in the rear. 

19 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Two reasons Steele's D looks really good...

#1 McGriff

#2 TWill

excellent position coaching has a lot to do with it, Steele is making good calls and we will improve as guys get more reps in the system.

The main reason is both the players AND the coaches have bought into Steele's system & personality. This was evident over the spring. 

Archived