John Franklin III

ClaytonAU

I'm just a regular simple guy. With me you have to show it. I could care less what everybody THINKS and say they have HEARD. You just have to show me on the field. I'm not going to say jf3 can or can't throw until I see it. I'm not going to say he can't throw because Gus hasn't allowed him to throw yet because Gus has done some weird things with the qb's. 

Just like this talk of Marshall not being able to throw. Well clearly he wasn't a NFL qb but so I haven't seen any of our qb's make any throw that nm couldn't and I haven't seen them do it at a more consistent rate. If anything I've seen around the same. I've seen throws missed that could have been td's. I've seen some throws just barely missed, I've seen some throws the qb bailed the wr out. But once again this was just game 2. I saw Nick eat up some of the best SEC defenses....when I see sw do that then I can listen to somebody say any qb is in the same breath as him as a passer. 

I don't think he gets the respect or credit he deserves and I think people down him because he didn't go to the NFL as a qb.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still puzzling to me that Gus kept saying the QB competition was close all the way to the end and yet JFIII doesn't know the play book well enough.yet. 

I saw enough musical chairs/gimmick plays from the QB position in the first game. If JF3 throws 10 to 15 times a game, lets hope that's because he's the #1 QB. Otherwise, we didn't learn a thing from the Clemson fiasco. If anybody other than the starter, whoever that starter is, throws 10 to 15 a game we're right back in deep do-do.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm just a regular simple guy. With me you have to show it. I could care less what everybody THINKS and say they have HEARD. You just have to show me on the field. I'm not going to say jf3 can or can't throw until I see it. I'm not going to say he can't throw because Gus hasn't allowed him to throw yet because Gus has done some weird things with the qb's.

Check that netflix show Cole. I know it's a year old so no telling the growth he's had since then. But some of the film they showed and how the coaches spoke of his passing abilities did not instill confidence.

That being said, I remember hearing people talk about how horrible Cam was at throwing while at Florida. He def turned it around :)

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I saw enough musical chairs/gimmick plays from the QB position in the first game. If JF3 throws 10 to 15 times a game, lets hope that's because he's the #1 QB. Otherwise, we didn't learn a thing from the Clemson fiasco. If anybody other than the starter, whoever that starter is, throws 10 to 15 a game we're right back in deep do-do.

I agree with this 100% 

26 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Check that netflix show Cole. I know it's a year old so no telling the growth he's had since then. But some of the film they showed and how the coaches spoke of his passing abilities did not instill confidence.

That being said, I remember hearing people talk about how horrible Cam was at throwing while at Florida. He def turned it around :)

Exactly. Don't forget how Nick threw all those ints in juco

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't think he gets the respect or credit he deserves and I think people down him because he didn't go to the NFL as a qb.

Man I am with you on that.  He may have missed a throw here and there but NM was pretty damn near the complete package for a college quarterback.  He only had the two years so hard to compare on wins but based solely what he was able to do on the field, he has to be in the top five AU quarterbacks all-time (or at least the past 50 years).  Who knows what JFIII can do until we see him try it in a real game but fast as he is I don't see him ever having the physicality to run the ball like Nick did for a full game/season.  I could be wrong but I just don't see JFIII ever being the full-time starter unless something happens to both Sean and JJ.

1 hour ago, Altima said:

coach speak

If you pay attention Gus contradicts himself alot. That's why I always say nobody really knows.

4 minutes ago, aubinvnam said:

Man I am with you on that.  He may have missed a throw here and there but NM was pretty damn near the complete package for a college quarterback.  He only had the two years so hard to compare on wins but based solely what he was able to do on the field, he has to be in the top five AU quarterbacks all-time (or at least the past 50 years).  Who knows what JFIII can do until we see him try it in a real game but fast as he is I don't see him ever having the physicality to run the ball like Nick did for a full game/season.  I could be wrong but I just don't see JFIII ever being the full-time starter unless something happens to both Sean and JJ.

That's what I'm saying. I don't ever remember a game where I thought Nick missed so many throws that we would have won instead of a loss. He did just like sw and most other qb's in college do, a couple of throws here and there you wished you had back. 

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's what I'm saying. I don't ever remember a game where I thought Nick missed so many throws that we would have won instead of a loss. He did just like sw and most other qb's in college do, a couple of throws here and there you wished you had back. 

And a whole lot of games we would have lost without him.  That dude was a baller and his size makes any comparison with JFIII inapt.  I remember the game where he stood there with a d-lineman holding onto his leg and still got the throw off.  I just don't see JFIII being anything but a change of pace or wildcat guy for us at this point.  Sean is the man and has shown he can sling it and can run it enough to make the offense go.  Looking forward to seeing how he (and JFIII in whatever role they give him) show up against A&M.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

When I said before that JF3 throw 10-15 times a game I was implying he would do so if he was the starter. I don't think he should get anywhere near that amount if SW continues to be the starter. I was saying my ideal offense with JF3 starting would only have him throwing 10-15 times a game at most. 

5 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

Well I see the same old JF3 vs SW argument is still ongoing.  JF3 supporters just will not give up the fight!

I think most people are waiting to see how SW does against stronger SEC defenses before they totally give in.  JFIII will be a good change of pace against a defense that may match up with SW strengths.  

6 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

Well I see the same old JF3 vs SW argument is still ongoing.  JF3 supporters just will not give up the fight!

I wouldn't say that. I think even some "SW supporters" are curious to see what Franklin can do if the playbook is opened up for him. I know I am. And several "JFIII" supporters are merely pointing out, as @I_M4_AU, says, that we can't anoint Sean as our solution just yet. I agree with that, too. I mean, I totally *think* Sean is the guy, but we hardly have conclusive evidence yet. And there is something to be said for getting Franklin as much game experience as possible in case he's forced into a more significant role. 

TL;DR- It's not the same old JF3 vs SW argument at this point. Both sides have learned a little more about each guy but nobody has learned enough about either.  

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wouldn't say that. I think even some "SW supporters" are curious to see what Franklin can do if the playbook is opened up for him. I know I am. And several "JFIII" supporters are merely pointing out, as @I_M4_AU, says, that we can't anoint Sean as our solution just yet. I agree with that, too. I mean, I totally *think* Sean is the guy, but we hardly have conclusive evidence yet. And there is something to be said for getting Franklin as much game experience as possible in case he's forced into a more significant role. 

TL;DR- It's not the same old JF3 vs SW argument at this point. Both sides have learned a little more about each guy but nobody has learned enough about either.  

I thought we were supporting all the qb's. This is a very intellectual post. I like to make things simple. Sw is the qb and will be the qb unless he did something like had 3 terrible games in a row. To me it's not a question who the qb is. It's in his hands now. 

I think you need to throw with jf3 while you're up 40 against arky st as opposed to of a bad situation happened and you try to run him out there in a close game on the road then you have to "work" on throwing. You not going to find guys like the qb at ucla and the qb at Louisville that can come out gunning too often. 

28 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think most people are waiting to see how SW does against stronger SEC defenses before they totally give in.  JFIII will be a good change of pace against a defense that may match up with SW strengths.  

I didn't see anybody arguing myself

7 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

The problem is we have too many sw AND jf3 supporters and not enough Auburn fans, who should want to see both of these guys compete at the highest level.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

To further that, John might be the perfect weapon against some teams.  Get a team that has a strong secondary but is weak in run defense and John could give them all kinds of fits, while Sean would have to be at the top of his game.  There's no sense not taking advantage of a weapon just because he's not #1 on paper.

I personally want to see John get a connection with Davis for deep passes and Hastings for check-downs/quick passes. If he can just get consistent throwing to those two, who are our best receivers for adjusting to the ball, it would give him enough of an edge to be a nightmare for any D. I've said it and I'll keep saying it... 17.5 yards per carry....

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

To further that, John might be the perfect weapon against some teams.  Get a team that has a strong secondary but is weak in run defense and John could give them all kinds of fits, while Sean would have to be at the top of his game.  There's no sense not taking advantage of a weapon just because he's not #1 on paper.

I personally want to see John get a connection with Davis for deep passes and Hastings for check-downs/quick passes. If he can just get consistent throwing to those two, who are our best receivers for adjusting to the ball, it would give him enough of an edge to be a nightmare for any D. I've said it and I'll keep saying it... 17.5 yards per carry....

... in garbage time ... against an outmatched opponent.

Just now, The Freak said:

Irrelevant.  Show me anyone else who is doing the same thing.

Even if he got half that against SEC defenses we'd be a nightmare to stop. He just needs to be able to convert 3rd and long when it happens before he's given quality play time.

The way I see it, we have 2 QBs who can be serious weapons when pitted against the right type of D.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The way I see it, we have 2 QBs who can be serious weapons when pitted against the right type of D.

Even though I'm Moissouri on JF3 even I can agree with this.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I can't disagree with this more. Whoever is the QB should be "anointed" at this point. QB requires being in sync with the rest of the offense. No QB on the roster is going to perform well without being given a majority of the practice and game snaps with the first team. Every rep a person gets in is a tiny, incremental improvement. My personal opinion is that you rep the heck out of SW to get him a chance to build rapport with the RBs, WRs and OL, and you make JF3 your change of pace QB, repping him much less than SW, and on a smaller set of plays so that his smaller set of repetitions is focused and more beneficial in building his ability to run those plays.

7 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I can't disagree with this more. Whoever is the QB should be "anointed" at this point. QB requires being in sync with the rest of the offense. No QB on the roster is going to perform well without being given a majority of the practice and game snaps with the first team. Every rep a person gets in is a tiny, incremental improvement. My personal opinion is that you rep the heck out of SW to get him a chance to build rapport with the RBs, WRs and OL, and you make JF3 your change of pace QB, repping him much less than SW, and on a smaller set of plays so that his smaller set of repetitions is focused and more beneficial in building his ability to run those plays.

Well, yeah, for this week. And maybe every week after. But what happens if Sean doesn't hold up to TAMU's pass rush and then John comes in and things start clicking? Are we still 100% on Sean being the guy? I mean, JJ got all the QB1 reps leading up to the season last year and we stuck tight to him for 3 games. Didn't give anybody else a single snap. It was not the correct solution. He didn't get better.

Now, I don't think that will be the case with Sean at all. And no, I don't think Gus should still be discovering who his best QB is in week 3 every year (although that's increasingly common across college football). I think Sean showed us enough as a freshman last year to know that he's our best option as long as he's healthy. But do I blame somebody else who hasn't been on his bandwagon since the moment he signed a couple years ago for wanting to see it against a legit SEC pass rush? Particularly when QB2 was created in a lab for the express purpose of neutralizing SEC DEs? And when QB1 sustained 2 injuries in limited time last year? Not at all. 

All I see anybody saying is, "I'm going to wait until he does it against a legit SEC defense before I buy his jersey." Like I said, I've been singing the kid's praises since day 1 and even I'm not assuming anything about his performance Saturday night.  

1 hour ago, The Freak said:

17.5 yards a carry against a D1 team that was predicted to win their conference. Also 17.5 yards a carry is impressive against anybody I don't care who the team is.

Archived