John Franklin III

ClaytonAU

5 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

JF3 can complete passes. He doesn't know the playbook well enough right now is the main reason we haven't seen him play more. I think we see him throw the ball Saturday. I predict he will have a td pass Saturday.  I think we have a pretty damn good backfield with SW JF3 KP and KJ.

Yes but not even at a Nick Marshall clip & I already know you disagree with that. Nothing besides him proving on the field will change either one of our minds.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at a Nick Marshall clip? What Nick Marshall couldn't pass now?

Wow. I'm still waiting and hoping for us to have a passing game as consistent or dangerous as the Nick Marshall days, but I guess that's me

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Not at a Nick Marshall clip? What Nick Marshall couldn't pass now?

Nick Marshall was not a good or polished passer. He was better in 2014. He could make the throws that were required of him in our offense. I remember watching Nick Marshall practice before the season started in 2013 and he was flat out bad throwing the ball. He was definitely better during the 2013 season throwing the ball compared to what I saw in practice before season started. I would say NM is a better passer than JF3 from what I have seen but JF3 is the better runner. I do however believe JF3 can make the throws that will be required of him in our offense.

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Not tho mention nobody knows his skill set. Don't know if he can catch, block, don't know his running instincts or creativity. People just say fast and think that's it. They're really isn't any reason to think he could do any more than tuitt or Ryan Davis can do. I'll tell flex to write it so everybody can see lol

So true....and of course that seems to be the same reason some folks think he will be a success as a QB?     As for passing?   I'm still guessing that if Gus had any confidence that he could run the passing game with even modest success we would be seeing a few passes...but the season is young .....

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

the season is young .....

Indeed, it is. We still don't know much about this team at all. We have reason to think some things now, but there's so much we don't know and so much growing yet for them to do. I sure feel a lot better than I did after the JSU game last year, though.

But no, the fact that Franklin hasn't thrown but the one pass so far doesn't mean much to me. I'm really excited to watch him grow in this offense with the rest of the guys.

18 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Nick Marshall was not a good or polished passer. He was better in 2014. He could make the throws that were required of him in our offense. I remember watching Nick Marshall practice before the season started in 2013 and he was flat out bad throwing the ball. He was definitely better during the 2013 season throwing the ball compared to what I saw in practice before season started. I would say NM is a better passer than JF3 from what I have seen but JF3 is the better runner. I do however believe JF3 can make the throws that will be required of him in our offense.

Given his running threat might open up some VERY wide open WRs?

We will have a PA qb run set up whenever we want to use it. I think we will see it in this game or against LSU JF3 fake a qb draw and have a wide open wr deep that I think he will be able to hit for a td.  Everytime JF3 is in the game the passing lanes open up big time anyway.

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

We will have a PA qb run set up whenever we want to use it. I think we will see it in this game or against LSU JF3 fake a qb draw and have a wide open wr deep that I think he will be able to hit for a td.  Everytime JF3 is in the game the passing lanes open up big time anyway.

In your ideal offense, how many passes would JF be asked to complete each game? What type of throws are we talking? Could he really be accurate enough to consistently move the offense if the line is stacked and he's forced to throw?

11 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Meyer/Tebow used to be deadly with something like that. 

4 minutes ago, chimesAU said:

In your ideal offense, how many passes would JF be asked to complete each game? What type of throws are we talking? Could he really be accurate enough to consistently move the offense if the line is stacked and he's forced to throw?

Not an answer to your question, but the more I think about Tebow and bad passes to wiiiiiiiide open receivers...

4 minutes ago, chimesAU said:

10-15 throws a game and complete 60%. This being said I think we have a pretty good recipe with SW and JF3 both playing. If we can get the best of both worlds with SW throwing and JF3 running then that is even better. Meyer won the title with Leak/Tebow having similar roles. Imo we have more talent at our skill positions mainly rb than Florida had that year also. 

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Given his running threat might open up some VERY wide open WRs?

That's a given in the discussion. My point was I am & will be skeptical that he can hit wide open WRs til I see it.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

FWIW I'm not saying nor implying he was. All I'm saying is by all reporter & insider accounts on every message board besides you they have all said JF3 is not even at Nick's passing level. You are the only 1 I have seen say otherwise & expects JF3 to hit on a 60% clip. I genuinely hope you are right if he gets out there but I will remain Missouri on it for now. No disrespect.

54 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

10-15 throws a game and complete 60%. This being said I think we have a pretty good recipe with SW and JF3 both playing. If we can get the best of both worlds with SW throwing and JF3 running then that is even better. Meyer won the title with Leak/Tebow having similar roles. Imo we have more talent at our skill positions mainly rb than Florida had that year also. 

If he's a 60% passer that would put him in the top half of passers in league and combined with his running, make him one of the best QBs in the SEC.  From what we hear coming out of practice he's a 50% at best. I hope you're right, but I'm going to join the seeing is believing crowd on that one.

I think 10-15 passes might be a lot more than 23 thinks it is. Marshall often threw fewer than 15 passes a game even as our full time starter. I'd be surprised if Franklin ever throws more than 3 or 4 in a game unless he is in the game as QB1. (I'm still gun shy about calling them "starters". That Clemson game might've scarred me for life.)

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW I'm not saying nor implying he was. All I'm saying is by all reporter & insider accounts on every message board besides you they have all said JF3 is not even at Nick's passing level. You are the only 1 I have seen say otherwise & expects JF3 to hit on a 60% clip. I genuinely hope you are right if he gets out there but I will remain Missouri on it for now. No disrespect.

You misunderstand he said what ideally would be the completion percentage for JF3. My answer was to the question what would be my ideal pass attempts and completion percentage. I was implying we could win a title with him throwing 10-15 times a game and completing around 60%. I not saying I expect JF3 to be able to pass at a 60% level. I do think he can make the throws for our offense though I said 2 posts up that NM was a better passer than JF3. I am not saying JF3 is as good of a passer as NM. I am saying I believe JF3 can make the throws required of him in our offense. Now if he was at say A&M I don't believe he can make the throws required of him in a pass happy offense or say a pro style offense. JF3 is not consistent enough to be able to do that. In our offense with JF3 at the helm it opens up lanes and open wr. JF3 just needs to get the ball in the wr catch radius which I believe he can do.

I do believe we have a good recipe with SW and JF3 atm. I didn't believe in SW ability to lead us at the beginning of the year. I jave been impressed with him in the first two games. 

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If he's a 60% passer that would put him in the top half of passers in league and combined with his running, make him one of the best QBs in the SEC.  From what we hear coming out of practice he's a 50% at best. I hope you're right, but I'm going to join the seeing is believing crowd on that one.

Once again he said what ideally would I like to see. I don't believe JF3 can hit at 60% either atm. I think he can do better than the 50% that you are saying. I think he can make the throws that are required of him for us to win.

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Once again he said what ideally would I like to see. I don't believe JF3 can hit at 60% either atm. I think he can do better than the 50% that you are saying. I think he can make the throws that are required of him for us to win.

The Netflix show scared me about his throwing. Was made the backup in JUCO solely because of his throwing ability, even though his running ability in JUCO was good enough to get like 50TD's in that one half he played :lol:

he showed a couple of gears no one else on the field has. the one that looked like he should go OOB and cut it back inside still pulling away was crazy. i worry about ball security, and passing. there was a reason he was not recruited by anyone but AU and Buffalo. he may be ok later i just think it is way too early to expect much of anything from him as a qb1. i may be in the minority but i think he has the right attitude and mindset to accomplish it. meaning he is coachable and a good teammate.  passing ability, i am skeptical.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

That's a given in the discussion. My point was I am & will be skeptical that he can hit wide open WRs til I see it.

Totally agree! Someone on here posted that NIck Marshall was not a good or polished passer. That is half right. 

NM WAS a good passer, not a great or polished passer. But he also had ice water for veins, which helped him be successful in passing in tough games. And when NM started CGM gave him plenty of opportunity to pass the ball and take us to a NC.

JFIII, on the other hand, did not get used in JC as a passer, and after a spring season here, and into the fall, has not shown the coaches the confidence to pass the ball in the 2 games he has played in. He may be adequate in passing, but will it help us win SEC games? If SW continues to excel in passing, more than likely we wont ever see JFIII pass the ball enough to get a true eval. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hence my use of the word VERY.

20 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Hence my use of the word VERY.

Doesn't matter how wide open if you can't hit them my friend.

I wanted to post the Bull Durham gif of Nuke Laloosh missing Crash Davis 10 feel away but it had adult words so that's a no go.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doesn't matter how wide open if you can't hit them my friend.

Ehh this is being taken to far again. His passing is not as bad as some are making it out to be. He is not a good passer but he is not a qb like say Navy or some triple option team has that can't throw at all.  JFIII has a strong arm and can make all the throws arm strength wise. He is not a consistent passer accuracy wise, but imo he will not have to be that accurate when he throws the football because the wr are going to be OPEN so he will just need to get it in the catch radius where the wr can make a play. The reason that he has not seen more action and passing plays is because he does not know the playbook or plays well enough. He has been limited in game action and what the coaches will call because he does not know the plays well enough yet. 

Archived