John Franklin III

ClaytonAU

20 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

JFIII made a gesture after the last play. I think he was telling the staff he saw something and to run the play again.....same thing Nick used to do. Then he probably had the air let out of sails when the coaches let time expire.  Obviously,  I dont know this for fact but that was my observation.

If this is all that happened then i dont have a problem with his look. He's competitive and wants to play as much as he can when out there.

And as for his not passing that some of you wanted to see from him. I agree it would have been nice to allow him reps at passing which he probably needs more game experience with, but I also think it boils down to 2 areas:

1. His strength is in his runnng. He never got to run in the CLemson game, so if they were giving him valuable game-time reps then he needs this more in games early on.

2. we know his strength is not passing...and when he did get his first play last week it WAS a pass, and i wish it had never happened as it almost got picked.  

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DAG said:

To play more? A small faction if any is saying the dude should start and I think you know this. Many are saying , they would've liked to see him pass the ball in garbage time .

Don't think that really disputes anything I said.Don't think that really disputes anything I said.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I wouldn't put myself in the "blindly desperate for him to play more" category... I can't deny 17.5 yards per carry.  If we match up with a team that has a suspect run defense, he should be a nightmare for them, and if we can get him to develop some timing with Hastings on check downs and Davis on long passes, he could be a formidable weapon against anyone.

All that being said... I don't disagree at all with how he was used on Saturday.  He didn't get to run the previous week and look how that turned out this week.

Can't disagree with any of that. I think I put my post in the wrong thread. Not on accident, just kinda reacting to an ongoing thing in the wrong spot.

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I have no problem with his attitude. Enough said. Lock this thread now

Ummm you are a mod &...

i-have-teh-power-o.gif

Great post Mayor.  Just one minor point JFIII got beat out by a younger, more experienced player even though it was widely assumed our coaches were hoping Franklin would win the job.  I'm sure JFIII knew all this, so it probably is a little difficult to accept right now.  I give him an attitude pass for the time being. I suspect Coaches may have disciplined John a little after the pouting episode.

2 minutes ago, autan said:

Great post Mayor.  Just one minor point JFIII got beat out by a younger, more experienced player even though it was widely assumed our coaches were hoping Franklin would win the job.  I'm sure JFIII knew all this, so it probably is a little difficult to accept right now.  I give him an attitude pass for the time being. I suspect Coaches may have disciplined John a little after the pouting episode.

Reality. Not assumption.

7 minutes ago, autan said:

I suspect Coaches may have disciplined John a little after the pouting episode.

We'll find out this weekend.

1 hour ago, autan said:

Who is the younger player?

3 hours ago, ertrader said:

I don't know their actual ages but Franklin was HS class of 2013 while White was 2014.

Correct Ertrader.  Have to admit I have not checked birth certificates, but just assumed Sean would be the younger since he graduated from HS a year after John.   Sean does have more D1 football experience, however I would say none of our QB's have a great amount of experience.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, IronMan70 said:

I didn't see it when watching the TV. I did see he got snaps in both games, he got more snaps in game #2, he got a little more of the playbook to run, he made better decisions, he ran the ball this time, he ran very well and he is explosive. If we hadn't been so far ahead he would have had some passing plays. When he does pass (I bet this week) it will catch the defense totally off guard and it will open up his running lanes even more. It's only a matter of time before he busts one of those runs for a 75 yd TD and then it's game on.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know what more of the playbook he ran..he did half back dive and read option quite often in game 1 as well. Theoretically, they even simplified it, as he didn't throw once 

Didn't run in the 1st game. They ran him in the 2nd game, added more ball handling wrinkles and decision points for him to manage. I see a pattern developing. 

Franklin just didn't keep the ball against Clemson, he had the opportunity to make the reads and keep it as many have mentioned.

im almost afraid he doesn't have the arm to make defenses respect his ability to pass, or the complete opposite, at this point. Considering the coaches haven't let him throw a single in game pass. I guess only time will truly tell. 

So now some folks want us to go back to swapping QBs again. I got an idea lets just stay with what has us wining. If SW goes down then we will start worrying about who is next. Nothing against whoever is next, just pointing out last week when we were swapping QBs everyone was having a fit (including me) This week SW goes in and stays and the offense looked a lot better. This is what most 2nd string QBs do, is mop up duty, and that is a good thing.It probably means the team is winning. WDE

The -3 looks really bad, and while his throw wasn't perfect (it was a little too high for what you want your high percentage passes to hit the target) that busted play was really because Chandler Cox got blown up by a cornerback on the block and just got backed up into the WR causing the negative yardage. That is a whole other issue in itself as to why our HB is getting pushed back so far by a cornerback

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The -3 looks really bad, and while his throw wasn't perfect (it was a little too high for what you want your high percentage passes to hit the target) that busted play was really because Chandler Cox got blown up by a cornerback on the block and just got backed up into the WR causing the negative yardage. That is a whole other issue in itself as to why our HB is getting pushed back so far by a cornerback

Good point. With Cox, I'm willing to chalk that up to inexperience. Also, many of those plays looked poorly practiced all around. But I definitely agree that Franklin's throw wasn't the problem.

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

WHOA!!!!!  Is this who I think it is?!?!?!?! In my best Jim Ross voice, OH MY GAWD! HE'S HERE! I DON'T BELIEVE IT! THE MAYOR IS BACK FOLKS! THE MAYOR IS BACK!!!

For me this is tantamount to...

Glad to see you @TheMayorOfChillville

That was awesome. Haha!

22 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

You were doing really well until those last two sentences.  JF3 did not "go off every time" at JUCO. He went off once, in the six TD game against bottom of the barrel competition.  That's really it.  Kid has potential. but it's up to him to live up to it. No one is gonna hand the job to him based on unrealized potential.

Ok....I'll submit to that. I guess I as just trying to make a point that he has "went off" every time he's had an opportunity. The real point to my rambling was to try and get people to put themselves in JF3's shoes, understand what he's been through and maybe give him a little more slack than we would another player because I think he deserves it. Also, you make  great point in saying "No one is gonna hand the job to him based on unrealized potential". I agree.

Archived