John Franklin III

ClaytonAU

He was awesome that night for sure, and I hope he continues to be but, c'mon.  It was four carries.  Let's get a little more data before using it as stone cold evidence that he can out Nick Marshall Nick Marshall.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

He was awesome that night for sure, and I hope he continues to be but, c'mon.  It was four carries.  Let's get a little more data before using it as stone cold evidence that he can out Nick Marshall Nick Marshall.

When did anyone even make the comparison? 

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

About the time someone asked what hyperbole meant.

34 minutes ago, Tiger said:

TRISTAN DAVIS HAD 19.0 YPC AVERAGE IN 2005 JF3 ISN'T EVEN AS GOOD AS T. DAVIS AT RUNNING

Tristan Davis was a BAD man... until he got hurt.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

It's been implied in some posts, particularly ones down playing Nick's abilities in comparison to JF3.

Nick may be one of the greater athletes anyone will ever see. To be able to play DB for a major SEC team as a TF, then later QB for a championship caliber team that primarily ran the Zone read is amazing.   

10 minutes ago, lala said:

Nick may be one of the greater athletes anyone will ever see. To be able to play DB for a major SEC team as a TF, then later QB for a championship caliber team that primarily ran the Zone read is amazing.   

^^^ this.  Nick Marshall was a special kind of athlete. Amazing really off the charts Football instincts.

I think the staff is doing the right thing by JF III to bring him along... as he learns the offense, with good play calling, and putting him in good situations where he can help the team... be successful... and also develop / increase the level of his natural football instincts against tougher SEC and other really good D1 players he has to face now. I think he can be very successful, as I think SW can but is just a bit ahead of him as far as development and SEC readiness... but who knows, JF III may not be as far behind and may turn it on... or it could take more seasoning.     

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Well, yeah, for this week. And maybe every week after. But what happens if Sean doesn't hold up to TAMU's pass rush and then John comes in and things start clicking? Are we still 100% on Sean being the guy? I mean, JJ got all the QB1 reps leading up to the season last year and we stuck tight to him for 3 games. Didn't give anybody else a single snap. It was not the correct solution. He didn't get better.

Now, I don't think that will be the case with Sean at all. And no, I don't think Gus should still be discovering who his best QB is in week 3 every year (although that's increasingly common across college football). I think Sean showed us enough as a freshman last year to know that he's our best option as long as he's healthy. But do I blame somebody else who hasn't been on his bandwagon since the moment he signed a couple years ago for wanting to see it against a legit SEC pass rush? Particularly when QB2 was created in a lab for the express purpose of neutralizing SEC DEs? And when QB1 sustained 2 injuries in limited time last year? Not at all. 

All I see anybody saying is, "I'm going to wait until he does it against a legit SEC defense before I buy his jersey." Like I said, I've been singing the kid's praises since day 1 and even I'm not assuming anything about his performance Saturday night.  

What happens if a cow jumps over the moon? How many "what happens if" do we get? JJ looked like a world beater against Ark a couple of years ago. Turns out, he wasn't ready for the full time job. I think that JF3 is going to light aTm up when he is in (and it's going to be fun to watch), but I think being the situational guy with limited plays is what will help him do that. aTm has to prep for a passing QB first. 

Sean "did it" against SEC defenses three times in a row last year (and Ole Miss ain't half bad on D), I believe setting an AU record in the process, and Sean *still* hasn't had the luxury that JJ had of being "the guy" leading up to the season opener. At some point, you pick your QB, hope for the best, and back that guy. He needs the reps to get better. And no, I don't think you develop your QBs with a "well, he might get hurt" mentality. Your #1 is your #1, at every position.

JF3 is fast, but I don't think he's going to stop any defenses all by himself for an entire game, not until he's trusted to throw the ball, and run most of the playbook.

19 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

What happens if a cow jumps over the moon? How many "what happens if" do we get? JJ looked like a world beater against Ark a couple of years ago. Turns out, he wasn't ready for the full time job. I think that JF3 is going to light aTm up when he is in (and it's going to be fun to watch), but I think being the situational guy with limited plays is what will help him do that. aTm has to prep for a passing QB first. 

Sean "did it" against SEC defenses three times in a row last year (and Ole Miss ain't half bad on D), I believe setting an AU record in the process, and Sean *still* hasn't had the luxury that JJ had of being "the guy" leading up to the season opener. At some point, you pick your QB, hope for the best, and back that guy. He needs the reps to get better. And no, I don't think you develop your QBs with a "well, he might get hurt" mentality. Your #1 is your #1, at every position.

JF3 is fast, but I don't think he's going to stop any defenses all by himself for an entire game, not until he's trusted to throw the ball, and run most of the playbook.

You realize you just agreed with him, right?

4 hours ago, AUinfusion said:

SEC defense is such an overrated term. Two of those defenses were Kentucky and Arkansas

20 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

SEC defense is such an overrated term. Two of those defenses were Kentucky and Arkansas

Yeah, I think Infusion missed the part where I said "legit".

Archived