Landon Rice

auburnphan

53 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And it was said flyers are being made for the woman to say it didn't happen.....And if you can't see how wrong that is if true you're just dim witted. As a matter of fact of everything that was talked about that's the most dangerous and most wrong story in the thread

Truth. I'm hoping it was just a stupid rumor.  I haven't been able to find anything about it on the net.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea what is going on with the TE that I couldn't have named two weeks ago. But I know he left the team voluntarily. (Which tells me he is probably guilty of something) The tone is going to be different for the  starting rb that was about to reel off a 1500-1600yard season that was dismissed. And left kicking and screaming. 

On September 11, 2016 at 3:48 PM, AU64 said:

Understand....just noting that there is a tendency to give guys from "good families" the benefit of the doubt ...when others might not get the same concession. 

Well that's because experience tells us that the overwhelming majority of the criminals we encounter don't come from good families.  Go to any prison in this country and if you can get an honest survey you're going to hear similar stories over and over and over again - broken homes, absent fathers, parents who didn't play an active role, serious family dysfunction, poverty, etc.  It doesn't mean kids from good, stable families never get into trouble of course, but the percentages are so heavily skewed the other direction, unless the kid themselves have given us prior reason to think otherwise, we naturally give them the benefit of the doubt.  

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Well that's because experience tells us that the overwhelming majority of the criminals we encounter don't come from good families.  Go to any prison in this country and if you can get an honest survey you're going to hear similar stories over and over and over again - broken homes, absent fathers, parents who didn't play an active role, serious family dysfunction, poverty, etc.  It doesn't mean kids from good, stable families never get into trouble of course, but the percentages are so heavily skewed the other direction, unless the kid themselves have given us prior reason to think otherwise, we naturally give them the benefit of the doubt.  

:thumbsup: Plus, repeat offenders get a harsher treatment than first timers, both from law enforcement and on this board..

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

:thumbsup: Plus, repeat offenders get a harsher treatment than first timers, both from law enforcement and on this board..

Plus, no one really knows that Landon did anything... All of that came from one poster on a message board who very quickly deleted his/her post. There are a lot of other reasons that someone could have voluntarily left the team, a lot of which can't be legally revealed by anyone other than the person who left. Also, no one has said that there's no chance of a return. After all, his brother is still on the team. 

38 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Plus, no one really knows that Landon did anything... All of that came from one poster on a message board who very quickly deleted his/her post. There are a lot of other reasons that someone could have voluntarily left the team, a lot of which can't be legally revealed by anyone other than the person who left. Also, no one has said that there's no chance of a return. After all, his brother is still on the team. 

You could be very right but it's interesting that he apparently is gone from school and nobody who actually knows a few facts has come forth and shouted BS. Usually someone associated with the issue comes forward to defend the person.   It's the silence that is curious...JMO.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You could be very right but it's interesting that he apparently is gone from school and nobody who actually knows a few facts has come forth and shouted BS. Usually someone associated with the issue comes forward to defend the person.   It's the silence that is curious...JMO.

Or it could be that he is dealing with something that anyone who knows the facts is respectfully keeping quiet about. Odds are that the sports media, if they decide it's worth the effort, will find out the general nature of what happened, unless it's really just a family matter that requires no outside interaction. It's very hard to interact with lawyers, courts, doctors, etc without leaving some sort of a trail.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Or it could be that he is dealing with something that anyone who knows the facts is respectfully keeping quiet about. Odds are that the sports media, if they decide it's worth the effort, will find out the general nature of what happened, unless it's really just a family matter that requires no outside interaction. It's very hard to interact with lawyers, courts, doctors, etc without leaving some sort of a trail.

True.....and without passing any judgment, just noting that usually there is some attempt to put speculation to rest...even if it is just "spin". Hoping its all about nothing but "silence" is rarely the best way in my view, to deal with even a highly sensitive issue for someone who has been in the public eye.

Like it or not, the less that is provided in explanation, the more people's imagination kicks in....as we are seeing in our national politics at the moment.   

2 minutes ago, Tigeralum86 said:

That was an AUSOME one-handed catch by Kyle Davis in last week's 51-14 win! Great kid! I am looking forward to watching him. 

Welcome to AUF 86 but you may have posted in the wrong thread. You are correct it was AUSOME catch

The repeat offenders thing doesn't make any sense as far as what's being talked about, that's setting up that kid from Stanford case all over again...But as most things who knows because most of the time the first story heard isn't right

PM is now reporting that Landon left AU voluntarily after a student filed a "complaint" against him.  (He was not kicked).  PM did not say what the complaint was since AU, due to privacy laws, cannot say.  Therefore, PM did not speculate on the reason for the "complaint." .

However, I think it's clear to everyone with two brain cells that it was most probably a sexual assault allegation.  This is the rumor on campus according to various students who have posted the rumors they've heard online.  This would explain why Gus would not provide any details (he can't by law).  

Colleges are taking these sorts of complaints seriously due to all the media attention on the issue in recent years.  So it's pretty much a shoot first, ask questions later approach the administrators are taking.  They don't need proof.  They just want it to go away and the easiest way to do that is to send the student packing.  (Again it looks like Landon left voluntarily and I can't really blame him).

This also lends credence to the flyer story floating around.  I am inclined to believe the flyer thing happened, and have seen a photo of the flyer posted online. 

I live here in Calhoun, and though news is very sparse i heard a little today.  ......The girl it is said to be his girlfriend and they were breaking up.   Her dad is an Auburn booster and did not like what was happening.  So Landon voluntarily left the team and Auburn to go elsewhere.  That is why there is nothing else out there to find or report.  Take it for what it is worth.  I think again with the way things are socially today Auburn could not afford to get involved.  Even for him.   I still am not sure how nasty it got, but evidently not nasty enough for charges.....

1 minute ago, lost said:

I live here in Calhoun, and though news is very sparse i heard a little today.  ......The girl it is said to be his girlfriend and they were breaking up.   Her dad is an Auburn booster and did not like what was happening.  So Landon voluntarily left the team and Auburn to go elsewhere.  That is why there is nothing else out there to find or report.  Take it for what it is worth.  I think again with the way things are socially today Auburn could not afford to get involved.  Even for him.   I still am not sure how nasty it got, but evidently not nasty enough for charges.....

Jeez. That makes it even weirder. 

Former Auburn football player accused of rape, according to police, court records

Former Auburn tight end Landon Rice is accused of first-degree rape in an incident report with the Auburn Police Department filed on July 27 by an unidentified 19-year old female.

The incident allegedly happened in the late hours of April 12 in the South Donahue Residence Hall, a 209-room dorm located across the street from the athletic complex and housing most of the football team.

Coach Gus Malzahn announced Rice had left the football program following the team’s game on Sept. 10 against Arkansas State for “personal reasons.”

Rice has not been arrested or charged.

Rape in the first degree is a Class A felony in Alabama carrying a penalty of 10 years to life.

While the Auburn Police Department currently categorized the status of the case as “inactive,” that doesn’t mean the investigation is closed.

Captain Lorenza Dorsey explained the designation for the Ledger-Enquirer Friday morning.

“Cases on inactive status are still open investigations, and there are various reasons why a case would be placed on inactive status,” Dorsey said. “I can’t speak to this case specifically, but some examples are: no active leads or suspect to follow up on, case is awaiting further action to be taken by court system, awaiting results of lab examination or analysis, etc.”

A 19-year old female (name withheld by the Ledger-Enquirer to protect her identity) filed a protective order against Rice on Sept. 12 with the Circuit Court of Lee County.

The plaintiff filing the petition with the court makes the same allegation of sexual assault, and seeks a protection order from abuse in fear of “retaliation from a Title IX investigation.”

Title IX is a comprehensive federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity. This includes incidents of sexual harassment, gender-based discrimination and sexual violence.

The law requires schools to take immediate steps to address any sex discrimination, sexual harassment or sexual violence on campus to prevent it from affecting students further.

The filing was assigned to judge Steven T. Speakman, who issued a temporary protection order on Sept. 15 until the initial court hearing for the protection order, which is scheduled for 9 a.m. Oct. 4.

A spokesperson for Auburn’s athletic department declined comment when asked what the university and athletic department knew about the July incident report filed with the Auburn police department.

They also declined to discuss whether Malzahn was made aware of the allegations and if Rice’s departure was a direct result of an ongoing investigation into the incident by the university’s Title IX office.

"Any questions regarding law enforcement matters should be directed to law enforcement authorities,” the spokesperson said. “In addition, by matter of policy and practice, we wouldn't discuss any issue regarding the privacy of students.”

Auburn’s police department is required to notify the university of sexual assault allegations designated as mandatorily reportable by Title IX and the Cleary Act. All crimes that occur on university property are shared with university officials.

Rice was one of nine freshmen from Auburn’s 2016 recruiting class to enroll early in January, allowing him to practice with the team through the spring.

The freshman was on the roster when fall camp opened on Aug. 2 and practiced with his teammates during training camp.

Rice is the second player this fall to be the subject of a Title IX complaint. Former Auburn running back Jovon Robinson was accused of domestic violence, but the accuser in that case later recanted the accusation.

Robinson was dismissed from the program on the first day of training camp in August.

Landon Rice’s brother Logan Rice is a member of the Auburn football program.

Calls and messages placed by the Ledger-Enquirer to the Rice family went unanswered.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article102372802.html

Not much you can say.... like I said on 9/9/16 we just have to wait and see how this plays out. If true the young man has destroyed his life as he knows it. Sad just so sad.

If true, the young woman's life is destroyed as well. I just find it hard to believe that this matter took so long to come to the light of day. Why did this girl wait until July 27th to report something that happened on April 12th? Am I reading that right? I can imagine that she might have been unwilling to report it at first and then was talked into it by friends or family. I can also imagine that they had a physical relationship and that when he tried to break up with her later, she cried rape. I do not envy anyone in the AD having to make decisions on a case like this. I just hope the real truth comes out and that our university did everything within the letter of the law.

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

If true, the young woman's life is destroyed as well. I just find it hard to believe that this matter took so long to come to the light of day. Why did this girl wait until July 27th to report something that happened on April 12th? Am I reading that right? I can imagine that she might have been unwilling to report it at first and then was talked into it by friends or family. I can also imagine that they had a physical relationship and that when he tried to break up with her later, she cried rape. I do not envy anyone in the AD having to make decisions on a case like this. I just hope the real truth comes out and that our university did everything within the letter of the law.

Amen! That's  why these cases are so hard to truly understand. There are many false accusations, but at the the same time there are also many victims that are scared to come forward. These situations are really hard to assess until all the concrete facts are there

On September 11, 2016 at 1:26 AM, AcUmen said:

According to another forum, someone is posting flyers at AU dorms pleading Landon's innocence.  Apparently his accuser is a sorority sister at AU and these flyers are being addressed to her sisters to put pressure on her to drop her allegations.  The flyer then rambles on about how false rape accusations are rising on campuses across America, etc.  An image of this flyer was posted online, but I have no way to know if it's real or not.

Any AU students around here who would know?

On September 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Bigbens42 said:

That's absolutely deplorable. I'll ask my cousin. She's a resident assistant.

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm still in awe about the flyers....If that's true.....smh

I forgot to update. Cousin says it's true. Hope they track the dillweed down.

On 9/15/2016 at 6:35 AM, TitanTiger said:

Well, no, that's entirely false when it comes to sex crimes. It's a scenario fabricated out of thin air by white folks without any actual data to support it. In reality, white kids are just as likely to sexually assault women as are black and Hispanic kids, rich kids from good homes sexually assault women just as do less fortunate kids.

Statistically, based on actual research data, 63% of sexual assaults against college women are perpetrated by white males. But most don't end up in prison. Typical examples are 3 cases in the last year of white college guys convicted in court of sexually assaulting a coed, but being given a reprimand and a walk. Of course, black kids convicted in court are much more likely to get sent to prison. That's the way the system works. Its not that fewer white guys commit the crimes. Actually, on university campuses, white guys are more likely to be the perpetrators. It's just that white guys are less likely to get thrown in prison even if convicted.

As for Landon Rice, I have no idea why he left the team and I don't like rumors.

Archived