Landon Rice

auburnphan

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

The tone of this thread and Robinson's....pretty different

Very different indeed, and for good reason. In Rice, we have a player with one "alleged" offense. Jovon Robinson was a serial offender who had been in the doghouse virtually since the day he got here. Jovon would have been a 1,200 yard rusher last year if he hadn't been a habitual screw-up.

So Rice has the one possible mis-step and Robinson a whole series of dumbazz moves.Therein lies the difference.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Gus said in his press conference last night that Landon had left the team, the Rice family is a great family and that Logan is still on the team. 

Just my observations over a pretty long life but kids from "good families" make bad mistakes too....not just guys from bad neighborhoods.   This is all smoke and mirrors right now but JMO, using the family as a protest of innocence is probably not that good an idea.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just my observations over a pretty long life but kids from "good families" make bad mistakes too....not just guys from bad neighborhoods.   This is all smoke and mirrors right now but JMO, using the family as a protest of innocence is probably not that good an idea.

truth will come out if lawyers get involved

2 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

truth will come out if lawyers get involved

Possibly but just considering the FSU situation and many others too I guess, , the more lawyers involved the less we know the truth in many cases. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Possibly but just considering the FSU situation and many others too I guess, , the more lawyers involved the less we know the truth in many cases. :dunno:

Agree. We muddy the waters...that's what we are paid to do. :/ 

56 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm just paraphrasing. 

He said he left for personal reasons

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

So Rice has the one possible mis-step and Robinson a whole series of dumbazz moves.Therein lies the difference.

I don't know if I would call sexual assault a mis-step, allegation or not.  

5 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I'm just paraphrasing. 

He said he left for personal reasons

Understand....just noting that there is a tendency to give guys from "good families" the benefit of the doubt ...when others might not get the same concession.  Otherwise I think by now that most of us have learned that the truth is hard to come by....and a discussion forum is about the last place you can find it.   Unfortunately, no matter what the facts, guilty or innocent.....this guys' life as he knew it is over.

I hate that a promising player is gone but these days, once an allegation is made, it is about impossible for a coach to keep he guy....and also maybe impossible for the guy to stay in school while the situation plays out....JW being an example otherwise I guess. 

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

Agree. We muddy the waters...that's what we are paid to do. :/ 

I hope you get paid to represent and reveal the truth in a matter.

6 minutes ago, creed said:

I hope you get paid to represent and reveal the truth in a matter.

Well, if an attorney is retained to represent a guilty client his job is to give him the very best possible defense,  which means creating as much doubt in the mind of the jury as possible and force the prosecutors to prove their case.

I wish him the best and hope he can find what he is looking for in life.

I would like to think they wouldn't let a kid go over a simple he said, she said deal. I'd guess there's a little more to it than that. Or, maybe he left on his own? 

9 hours ago, tiger88 said:

I would like to think they wouldn't let a kid go over a simple he said, she said deal. I'd guess there's a little more to it than that. Or, maybe he left on his own? 

Purly speculation, but considering his brother is still on the team and there is a good relationship with the family, my guess is that he left to keep the spotlight off of the situation.

On 9/11/2016 at 2:36 PM, Mikey said:

Very different indeed, and for good reason. In Rice, we have a player with one "alleged" offense. Jovon Robinson was a serial offender who had been in the doghouse virtually since the day he got here. Jovon would have been a 1,200 yard rusher last year if he hadn't been a habitual screw-up.

Oh yeah? What are a few of those serial offenses? Those habitual screw ups....

Don't worry I'll wait. And then what are you even saying? If you let's say show up late for practice, or talk back to a coach it makes you worse when rape allegations are thrown around??? Like seriously man, get real

If it is simply a he said she said with no prior offenses of any kind what do people expect? Condemnation? 

People were screaming for JR to play last year, and losing him this year was painful. Do most people think he was booted for multiple offenses, one offense, or no reason at all? The coaches felt the team was better off without him and gus has no record of acting unfairly in player dismissals. 

If LR is convicted, or proven guilty in some way you would see board and coach sentiment change instantly. 

We have one player that has had a series attitude issues, a mistake involving a teamate that somehow got knock unconscious and no body knows the real story what happened that night, then an assault incident with a female that may or may not have happened. But the vast majority on this board are in agreement that the incident with the female happened. Also it seems the vast majority on this board are in agreement with Gus that the player had to go. Now this player grew up with two parents one of which was a police officer that was unfortunately killed in the line of duty while he was at a young age.  

Now player number two, left the team under his own terms and the "rumor or feeling by the majority" is a Baylor type situation. Now player number two grew up with two parents also, both parents are still alive. On this board it has been mention that player number two's family are "good people". 

So what's the definition of "good people"?  What does "good people" have to do with the fact that player #1 is being crucified by this board and yet the allegations against player #2 are worse, but he comes from a "good family". 

I am lost. Are we getting into socioeconomic issues here, black vs white, two parents vs one parent. What ever it is, the thinking in this board when comparing the two players is definitely not the same. 

Go back and read comments about JR from when he got the boot and look at the comments about LR. NOT the same. JR is not being call a Baylor bear but he sure is being treated like one.  I don't think he should be on the team either. He was a cancer and needed to be cut loose, CGM made the right call. Just my opinion, you all have yours. 

On 9/11/2016 at 1:26 AM, AcUmen said:

According to another forum, someone is posting flyers at AU dorms pleading Landon's innocence.  Apparently his accuser is a sorority sister at AU and these flyers are being addressed to her sisters to put pressure on her to drop her allegations.  The flyer then rambles on about how false rape accusations are rising on campuses across America, etc.  An image of this flyer was posted online, but I have no way to know if it's real or not.

Any AU students around here who would know?

That's absolutely deplorable. I'll ask my cousin. She's a resident assistant.

On 9/11/2016 at 9:22 AM, auburn4ever said:

That's one reason why I don't like the hurry up offense. Melzahn doesn't use the tight end. I still like the smash mouth offense that Dye and Tuberville ran.

You do know that the offense type has nothing to do with utilizing the TE don't you? Plenty of TEs get used in the spread/hurry up type offenses.

On 9/11/2016 at 11:22 AM, auburn4ever said:

That's one reason why I don't like the hurry up offense. Melzahn doesn't use the tight end. I still like the smash mouth offense that Dye and Tuberville ran.

Uh, wrong.  We utilized the tight end plenty when Lutz was here.  Ideally, I think Malzahn would like to have a Lutz type guy at that TE/H-back slot every time.  But they don't grow on trees so sometimes he has used a guy more in a fullback role there.

So back to Landon. None of my usual sources for Internet info are turning up a thing about this. The Montgomery Advertiser did an FoI and found no record of report or arrest with the police.  They expect the school to deny the FoI they filed with them on the basis of student confidentiality.  Interesting thing is, the only play I'm finding where people are talking about him doing something wrong is here... That's very unusual for a football player who got in trouble.  I can find stuff on Jovon everywhere.  

9 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Uh, wrong.

Not really.Lutz's best year(2011) he had 24 catches for 238 yards. I agree with the point that Malzahn doesn't really utilize a TE in his offense that much especially when compared, for example, with the way Freeze uses Evan Engram. Many programs in the SEC more effectively integrate the use of TEs in their offence than Malzahn does. Lutz had 5 catches, 15 catches and then 24 catches in the 3 years he played. That's not a lot of catches in 3 years.

I think the difference between the two situations is that the JR incident(s) were corroborated, albeit without all the facts, by several "sources". The LR situation seems locked down tight. It's like we can't really comment on it, because we don't really know what "it" is. With JR, we had a hurt Marshall Taylor. The girl situation did not originally sound all that bad to me, just that he shoved a girl out of his room. We still don't know the truth in that. But Marshall Taylor was definitely hurt and there was "evidence" that there was a connection in some way with JR. Given the fact that JR was in the doghouse for a good while last year, I am more likely to believe he was causing trouble this year. For me, not a black/white. rich/poor thing at all. 

I guess I missed all the "evidence" only thing I've seen is we can speculate on what makes sense to us on one but we don't know anything about the other because we don't know the facts....But in actuality we don't know the facts on either. In one thread the girl said that she lied and many said yeah right or sometimes a woman can feel pressured into that. The other situation not one person has said anything like that at all. And it was said flyers are being made for the woman to say it didn't happen.....And if you can't see how wrong that is if true you're just dim witted. As a matter of fact of everything that was talked about that's the most dangerous and most wrong story in the thread

Archived