Landon Rice

auburnphan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Do you really think something will? Isnt he young enough to be a youthful offender? Meaning we never hear a word about what happened?

I am not a lawyer, so I don't know the specifics.  I do know that some people are tried as adults when under 18 and some people get youthful offender status at age 20 (I've seen it). It depends on what the judge wants to do and it depends on who the guy is.  A star athlete will probably get leniency.  It's not fair, but it has always been that way.

Either way, we'll never know unless he is charged and indicted as an adult.  So you're right, we might never know for sure.

36 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

I am not a lawyer, so I don't know the specifics.  I do know that some people are tried as adults when under 18 and some people get youthful offender status at age 20 (I've seen it). It depends on what the judge wants to do and it depends on who the guy is.  A star athlete will probably get leniency.  It's not fair, but it has always been that way.

Either way, we'll never know unless he is charged and indicted as an adult.  So you're right, we might never know for sure.

You don't have to be a "star athlete" to get youthful offender status. I know this first hand from personal experience growing up in a dry county... I got a "youthful offender" status as a 20 year old, as a first time offense.

Although my incident and his at least appear to be miles apart.

I'm just saying it is entirely possible to get youthful offender status post 18...

Then I think we don't hear a word about it....no matter what the case....

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

Why couldn't he just smoke pot while carrying a stolen gun like most kids???

And, AND ... ... be in Louisiana where the judges actually respect college student-athletes for working/sweating outside and not in the wimpy A/C? 

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Within hours of learning Jovon was wrongfully accused you would think this board would be more tempered. 

I didn't care to read that thread too much but a woman recanting the allegations doesn't necessarily mean her allegations were false. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I didn't care to read that thread too much but a woman recanting the allegations doesn't necessarily mean her allegations were false. 

This is true.

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have not seen one coach brought up in this thread. Happened in April when the kids were out of school. 

Didn't Rice enroll in January? Why are we saying this happened in high school?

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You don't have to be a "star athlete" to get youthful offender status. I know this first hand from personal experience growing up in a dry county... I got a "youthful offender" status as a 20 year old, as a first time offense.

Although my incident and his at least appear to be miles apart.

I'm just saying it is entirely possible to get youthful offender status post 18...

Then I think we don't hear a word about it....no matter what the case....

He didn't say you had to be a star athlete to get youthful offender status, all he said is some people can get it all the way up to age 20, and some are tried as adults.  He said being a star athlete may help get youthful offender status, but not that it was limited to athletes.

I am living here in Calhoun, Ga where Landon played.  The Rice's are a good family.   It is hard to imagine what happened here.  We know we had the incident back in 2014 with some of the football team at the prom party but i had never heard that he had been there or involved in any way.  There were questions raised  1st about Kam Martin , and mentioning a party, like it mike be a happening at AUBURN?  But it is hard for me to see a kid raised like Landon and Logan  making the same mistake they just saw happening 2 years prior?  There is total silence here in Calhoun on the incident.  I just pray for the kids sake that all will turn out ok.  And i  am sick of the departures....  32 and counting

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

If the Auburn PR dept has anything to do with it, then we( the public) will hopefully never find out. 

As it should be .....it's a personal and private matter and apparently a legal one too.     JMO but it is not the role of AU to cover it up...OR....to broadcast it about.  

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Flex, Most people here know where to find the rumor( tRant), half the people here probably already know what the rumor is, but, still ...we are not allowed to spread rumors...Are we allowed to imply the nature of the rumor? Saying the word Baylor should cover it lol.

That's one thing I've always wondered about the policy of spreading rumors. Allusions seem acceptable most of the time, yet is that not a method of spreading? Is it based on a level of inconspicuousness or negligence? Is this a way of bypassing the double standard based on posters' reputation?

On a side note, moderators I know you have an impossible job and this is by no means a shot at any of you.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

In much the same way that a woman making allegations does not make those allegations true.

Like I said in the Robinson recant thread, you have to take these allegations seriously.  If he remained on the team, Auburn did not believe the story, and it turned out to be true, we would be in more of a mess than you can imagine.  When it comes to a girl saying she was physically/sexually assaulted, you need to believe that as a program.  We don't need a Baylor.  

I am sad to see him leave, he could have been an all-star player.  But so could have Duke, or Robinson.  It's not worth the distraction that comes with it.  If it turns out to definitively be false, let him back on and it will be like he took a redshirt.  But we need to take allegations like these seriously.  

What is done is done, so I will be turning my attention toward the rest of the team and helping Auburn pull out a victory today. 

1 hour ago, tombigbeetiger said:

might want to wait a while before you accept the innuendo as fact....there is a good chance that what is being insinuated ,about the reason for his departure, is not true.....

so true...that' been known to happen in the past.....

He is no longer here and for a reason no matter ehat that is one or both parties made the decision they felt was best. I hope and pray the rumors are not true and all involved can move on and live fulfilling lives. Life is much more than football and more goes on behind the scenes than anyone including insiders can possibly know. And as a group we need to concede that fact and not replace it woth rumors or bashing. Its a lose lose situation no matter the outcome

14 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

He is no longer here and for a reason no matter ehat that is one or both parties made the decision they felt was best. I hope and pray the rumors are not true and all involved can move on and live fulfilling lives. Life is much more than football and more goes on behind the scenes than anyone including insiders can possibly know. And as a group we need to concede that fact and not replace it woth rumors or bashing. Its a lose lose situation no matter the outcome

oh, there is a real problem somewhere, no question about that, but i was specifically addressing the 4 letter word that was being insinuated

We've berated and beaten down so many already it's too late to stop here and say, hey do we even know what the hell we are talking about?

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Like I said in the Robinson recant thread, you have to take these allegations seriously.  If he remained on the team, Auburn did not believe the story, and it turned out to be true, we would be in more of a mess than you can imagine.  When it comes to a girl saying she was physically/sexually assaulted, you need to believe that as a program.  We don't need a Baylor.  

I am sad to see him leave, he could have been an all-star player.  But so could have Duke, or Robinson.  It's not worth the distraction that comes with it.  If it turns out to definitively be false, let him back on and it will be like he took a redshirt.  But we need to take allegations like these seriously.  

What is done is done, so I will be turning my attention toward the rest of the team and helping Auburn pull out a victory today. 

Fl State backed Winston in allegations against him. Not saying we want to be like FSU, but it is what it is.

15 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I had some big message written out about how this destroys an already absolutely thin position for Auburn...

Then I got to thinking...

IF  "this happened" before Auburn... Did the coaches not know about it? Do we not do any sort of background checks on these recruits to make sure sure they are not in these sort of legal troubles? If so... We continued to recruit and sign him? If not? Why not? 

The depth chart doesnt matter in these types of cases...

Well, IF this happened, it is not something a person or their family would openly advertise. To automatically assume the coaches didn't do their home work, or just outright ignored such an issue is an easy out to place blame. I don't see that any coach can be blamed for not knowing this given when it may or may not have happened and the swift repercussions after it came to light.

Archived