Robinson's accuser recants

EclecticTiger

8 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

My comments are not directed at any particular person, but this thread is a perfect example of why practicing law without a license is against the law.  The firm that handles AU's litigation matters is as good as it gets.

I don't doubt that, but I can't help but ask... what's your point? Good litigators can't prevent lawsuits from being filed, they can just make them go away after they have been filed... but if someone didn't do their job right, the often can't make it go away. My dad was HR manager for a major company for many years and he always said there were 2 kinds of lawsuits. They kind that the get dismissed immediately and the kind where they just break out the checkbook.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be more direct, there are a number of folks talking about matters that they don't have a clue about. Moreover, a number of folks have been accusatory about some Auburn personnel without having even a hint of the facts.  

AU fans sometimes remind me of largemount bass  - they eat their own.

Can't Jovon sue the girl? Assuming it'd be worth it. She is the one that set this whole chain of events in motion by lying about it (if she did actually lie) costing him the potential millions, right? 

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hope she gets arrested for life. 

LOL wth...

I'm wondering how much she was paid to recant her story. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can't Jovon sue the girl? Assuming it'd be worth it. She is the one that set this whole chain of events in motion by lying about it (if she did actually lie) costing him the potential millions, right? 

He could, but what would he get out of it?  She's a college student who likely has no money.

6 minutes ago, Ouchyfish said:

LOL wth...

She recanted the story after the Title IX person asked for photos of her injuries.  Doesn't sound like someone getting paid.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He could, but what would he get out of it?  She's a college student who likely has no money.

Right, didn't think it would be worth it on his end but was just curious as I'm far from a legal expert.

Just now, auburn4ever said:

Has Jovon hooked up with another team? if not, you think Gus will take Jovon back since she made the whole story up?

Not to anyone's knowledge and based on the statement released by the university, yesterday... no. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Has Jovon hooked up with another team? if not, you think Gus will take Jovon back since she made the whole story up?

No chance. Way more smoke here around other incidents. This was just the catalyst.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Actually, that's not true.  As Flex pointed out earlier, a scholarship to play football is a binding contract, and at Auburn it's for 4 years. The only reason that Auburn can take that contract away from someone is if they break rules that are outlined in the contract as being punishable by dismissal.  It's just like how you can't fire a coach without cause or you have to pay out his contract.  If you kick a player off the team and take their scholarship away from them without documented cause, they can sue you for it.  As I have mentioned SEVERAL times, the school my wife is working for is being sued for that exact thing.

Fair enough. I figured this was similar to a "Right to Work" kind of thing. You have the contract sure, but in there it says at any point you can be terminated.

1 hour ago, Ouchyfish said:

LOL wth...

If you bothered to read the AL.com story, you'd know that she recanted her statement the same night that Jovon was dismissed in a letter to Malzhan. From the article:

At 7:50 p.m. that evening, the accuser emailed Malzahn for a second time, telling him directly that she had lied about what happened between her and Robinson. 

"I'm not sure if your decision today had anything to do with my situation a few weeks ago, but I just wanted you to know that I made up the entire thing simply because I was upset with Jovon at the time," the accuser wrote to Malzahn. "I haven't had any contact with him in the past few weeks but I do not think my lie should have costed him his spot on the team. Please consider changing your mind because I would really hate to see a person with so much potential lose his opportunity because of my silly fib. Jovon didn't do anything to me that night but ask me to leave his room and I was upset about that."

4 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Fair enough. I figured this was similar to a "Right to Work" kind of thing. You have the contract sure, but in there it says at any point you can be terminated.

In a right to work situation, you don't have a contract.  I don't know about you, but I've never signed a contract that guaranteed me a darn thing when I've taken a job. Even in a right to work situation, however, the company better have documentation for why someone is fired if they are anything other than a middle aged white male, because there are plenty of lawyers waiting to file a discrimination suit even in a right to work state.

Just now, AUEngineer2016 said:

If you bothered to read the AL.com story, you'd know that she recanted her statement the same night that Jovon was dismissed in a letter to Malzhan. From the article:

Sorry to do this to you, Engineer, but if you read the WHOLE story you'd see that she actually recanted to the Title IX person when she was asked to provide photos of her injuries.  She then recanted to Gus the night that Jovon was dismissed. Why there appears to be no communication between the Title IX person and Gus after the initial recanting is beyond me. 

In either case, however, I think it makes your point that the odds are pretty low that she was paid-off.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Sorry to do this to you, Engineer, but if you read the WHOLE story you'd see that she actually recanted to the Title IX person when she was asked to provide photos of her injuries.  She then recanted to Gus the night that Jovon was dismissed. Why there appears to be no communication between the Title IX person and Gus after the initial recanting is beyond me. 

In either case, however, I think it makes your point that the odds are pretty low that she was paid-off.

My point in posting that was that it would make absolutely no sense to pay "her off" only to kick Jovon off the team anyway. 

The article also reads "the accuser emailed Malzahn for a second time, telling him directly that she had lied about what happened between her and Robinson". That seems pretty clear to me that she emailed Malzahn 

Let's just admit there's too much we don't know -- and we hope we'll know it. I say this as a faculty member who's served on a mid-major faculty athletics committee. Universities simply cannot share certain kinds of information.

We don't know the history with Robinson before this incident.

We don't know Malzahn's actual reason for dismissing him. The timing suggests he wanted a clean camp.

We don't know the responsibilities and limitations attached to the Title IX office.

We obviously don't know at what point the woman began lying.

I'd like to know the scoop, but I can't pass judgment right now.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

He could.  This reminds me of Brian Banks, but the story is a quite different in Jovan's case.

Gus never said he was kicked off the team for the incident with the girl. He said he was kicked off for failing to meet his standards. He has a right to do that. The suit will not be successful. There have been mention of JR missing classes and failing to do what student athletes are required to do. Gus is responsible to insure that all the players attend class and make progress towards their completion of their degree. If a player refuse to follow those requirements he can and will be removed from the team, thereby ending his scholarship agreement. Actually a coach can remove you from the team for any reason. Your scholarship does not promise in any way that you will play, it only offers to pay for your education. Like all students at AU or any other place, class attendance and satisfactory work are required for you to continue your education. I think what Gus was not going to allow was another indecent like last year where players felt it was unfair that a certain individual was allowed not to follow the rule that rest were made to follow. So the recant is good for JR legally, but it will play no part on his dismissal. WDE

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

"...blood from a turnip..." comes to mind.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and couldn't even convincingly play one on TV.

ETA: Sorry,

Should have read further before responding

Already covered.

20 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Gus never said he was kicked off the team for the incident with the girl. He said he was kicked off for failing to meet his standards. He has a right to do that. The suit will not be successful. There have been mention of JR missing classes and failing to do what student athletes are required to do. Gus is responsible to insure that all the players attend class and make progress towards their completion of their degree. If a player refuse to follow those requirements he can and will be removed from the team, thereby ending his scholarship agreement. Actually a coach can remove you from the team for any reason. Your scholarship does not promise in any way that you will play, it only offers to pay for your education. Like all students at AU or any other place, class attendance and satisfactory work are required for you to continue your education. I think what Gus was not going to allow was another indecent like last year where players felt it was unfair that a certain individual was allowed not to follow the rule that rest were made to follow. So the recant is good for JR legally, but it will play no part on his dismissal. WDE

Honestly I think it had more to do with the Baylor situation and DV issues at other schools and Gus didn't want to be linked to that in any way

9 minutes ago, alabamabrown14 said:

Honestly I think it had more to do with the Baylor situation and DV issues at other schools and Gus didn't want to be linked to that in any way

Fair assumption but if you look at the emails that were released, Gus turned that over to the Title nine office in July and they really were not making a whole lot of progress (that looks like lack of co-operation on the victims part). So I really do not see Gus making the dismissal on those grounds. I do think the Columbus incident played a big role in the dismissal. Even with that I think JR had already pushed things in other areas also. Just the feeling I get looking at all the timelines combined. WDE 

Archived