Robinson's accuser recants

EclecticTiger

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I suspect this is close to the truth.  Just getting an email from Jovon's girlfriend making such accusations is bad, even if it does turn out to be false.  Sounds like he did what he was supposed to with it.  But that wasn't the only reason he was dismissed. The only mistake Gus made was not waiting for more confirmation on the assault charge, just as a contingency for something like this happening.  I wonder if he touched base with a lawyer after getting the email?

After Baylor, Penn State, FSU, etc....I'm betting he contacted lawyers, JJ and everyone above him in the chain of command.   These days, no coach with a grain of sense would not get lots of people on his side before making this kind of decision. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

There is a lot of talk about lawsuits against auburn/Gus ... What would such a law suit be based on?

playing college football is a privilege not a right.  College scholarships are one year deals.

I'd imagine that he could have stayed at auburn - on athletic scholarship - until the scholarship ran out even if not playing football.  Once he left school, he lost his scholly.  Gus kicked him off the football team not out of college.  (Unless I missed something and the title Ix thing caused him to get kicked out of auburn university - then that is different)

Scholarships (via the NLI or National Letter of Intent Program) are actually binding contracts for a 4+ year obligation (or however many the player has left out of JUCO) via the player and the school as equally responsible parties. Dismissal from the team voids the contract same as transferring or quitting, and so ends the benefits for both teams (scholarship for the player and roster benefits for the team). After saying that much, you can file for wrongful termination of a contract by whatever standards if information that factored into your termination turned up to be false. And it wouldn't be enough for them to say "We were going to get rid of him anyways and this is just icing on the cake." There would need to be documentation of imminent termination prior to that information being brought to the forefront, which I don't think they necessarily have.... If they do, then they're pretty amazing at their job in the compliance department at Auburn. Which I can tell you from firsthand experience is not the case.

Seems like more of the same from what I understand at AU in terms of the suits in the offense. I'm not going to point fingers or assign blame, but someone along the lines was not thorough enough and the ones involved were FAR too cavalier about preventing another "Distraction" rather than giving each their fair due. Like LionHeart said, the Columbus incident was murky at best and would be based on hearsay which I don't think would be enough to net ACTUAL dismissal on it's own.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I suspect this is close to the truth.  Just getting an email from Jovon's girlfriend making such accusations is bad, even if it does turn out to be false.  Sounds like he did what he was supposed to with it.  But that wasn't the only reason he was dismissed. The only mistake Gus made was not waiting for more confirmation on the assault charge, just as a contingency for something like this happening.  I wonder if he touched base with a lawyer after getting the email?

Nobody knows this at all. Speculation at best

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody knows this at all. Speculation at best

I know he wasn't just looking for a reason to boot his best RB. I speculate he was tired of dealing with a constant problem to the point he felt it was a drag on the team and the staff. 

Yeah I know anybody can make up reasons to make it ok to lose a player but it's usually not true. I'm sure he probably has done something wrong at some point of time. But so have other players that are made to be heroes as well. But just because he may have talked back to a coach doesn't mean yeah he probably assaulted a girl

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hope she gets arrested for life. 

This. I don't care what he's done or not done, punch thrown or not thrown, attitude or no attitude....this is a f****d up situation. She should face some type of consequence. 

Can someone please explain to me how the heck the school/coach can get sued for kicking a player off the team? You can kick someone off the team for looking at you wrong if the coach pleases. Won't bode well for future recruiting, but fact unless I misunderstand something.

17 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Can someone please explain to me how the heck the school/coach can get sued for kicking a player off the team? You can kick someone off the team for looking at you wrong if the coach pleases. Won't bode well for future recruiting, but fact unless I misunderstand something.

Suing and successfully suing are very different things. I doubt this would get too far before it was squashed. Doesn't stop some lawyer from trying to make money off of it. The girl may or may not be lying. Seems like Jovan had other problems besides this that led to his dismissal. Anyone who has repeated problems lining up with a specific way to do things never seems to think they have a problem. Denial is the problem. Still no one likes to see anyone get falsely accused of something. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Suing and successfully suing are very different things. I doubt this would get too far before it was squashed. Doesn't stop some lawyer from trying to make money off of it. The girl may or may not be lying. Seems like Jovan had other problems besides this that led to his dismissal. Anyone who has repeated problems lining up with a specific way to do things never seems to think they have a problem. Denial is the problem. Still no one likes to see anyone get falsely accused of something. 

Please don't take my comment to mean I don't care that some idiot made up something serious bc they were mad at him. I was simply pointing out that scholarship and enrollment are a privilege, not a right (yet. but that's political stuff we don't need to get into).

11 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Please don't take my comment to mean I don't care that some idiot made up something serious bc they were mad at him. I was simply pointing out that scholarship and enrollment are a privilege, not a right (yet. but that's political stuff we don't need to get into).

I agree with you. I didn't take your comments wrong. Sorry if my post didn't convey that. 

I love Jovon's skills as much as anyone, but wouldn't bringing him back give more grounds for a lawsuit? By doing so, AU would in essence be saying that his dismissal hinged on this one event instead of an accumulation of events as Gus had previously said.

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

If it's proven that they were wronged, I'm going to stand up for them.

Long way to go before there's proof of anything. If I've clouded that point, that's on me... but it is my point. This thread has exploded with "Gus is an idiot" and "the school better lawyer up" and "that girl should be hanged for treason" and "poor Jovon", but as somebody pointed out, victims in these situations are regularly coerced into falsely recanting. More importantly and readily applicable to this situation, nobody who has posted in this thread even knows for a fact that this girl was instrumental in getting Jovon dismissed. If I missed something definitive stating that- again, other than Friend of the Program James Crepea's sh** reporting- please set me straight. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Long way to go before there's proof of anything. If I've clouded that point, that's on me... but it is my point. This thread has exploded with "Gus is an idiot" and "the school better lawyer up" and "that girl should be hanged for treason" and "poor Jovon", but as somebody pointed out, victims in these situations are regularly coerced into falsely recanting. More importantly and readily applicable to this situation, nobody who has posted in this thread even knows for a fact that this girl was instrumental in getting Jovon dismissed. If I missed something definitive stating that- again, other than Friend of the Program James Crepea's sh** reporting- please set me straight. 

My point was that he was wronged by the girl, so I'm standing up for him in the fact that everything else needs to be looked into to make sure that Gus didn't make the wrong call based on being provided false information.  Based on all of the information presented... only contacted Gus, no photos of claimed injuries, no record of reporting any previous incidents, no medical attention sought, recanted to the Title IX person prior to the dismissal... I don't buy the "coerced into falsely recanting" concept, and yes... the girl should face some serious punishment, not because she wronged Auburn, but because she made it that much worse for girls who really do have something happen to them. I do think it's interesting that when the guys are accused of something, people are always giving them a pass because college guys do stupid crap all of the time, but when a college girl admits to doing something stupid, a large group of people immediately think she was paid-off or threatened into saying she did it. Trust me, college girls are just as stupid, vindictive, selfish, and violent as college guys.  The stories my wife shares with me would blow your mind.

And, unfortunately, yes, the school better "lawyer up", because even if they have all of their ducks in a row, there are plenty of lawyers that will go after them (just think of how many bama grads have law degrees and probably chase ambulances for a living). The fact that someone used a Freedom of Information Act inquiry to get the emails on this situation says that someone is looking into it for a reason. Let's face it... Crepea is an a**, but he's not going to file a Freedom of Information Act request just to see if the dismissal was legit. He would have to see some smoke before taking the time to look for fire.

Like I mentioned before, my wife's school is currently being sued for dismissing players from a team. Unlike Jovon, those players had no future or chance for making money in the sport and, hopefully like Auburn, the school does have all of their ducks in a row. 

49 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Actually, that's not true.  As Flex pointed out earlier, a scholarship to play football is a binding contract, and at Auburn it's for 4 years. The only reason that Auburn can take that contract away from someone is if they break rules that are outlined in the contract as being punishable by dismissal.  It's just like how you can't fire a coach without cause or you have to pay out his contract.  If you kick a player off the team and take their scholarship away from them without documented cause, they can sue you for it.  As I have mentioned SEVERAL times, the school my wife is working for is being sued for that exact thing.

Jovon was already given guidelines to follow after last years incidents which held him out of action, he had guidelines during the spring to follow and the summer.  They had cause, there was documentation for over a year of missed classes, late for meetings, etc.  All of which falls under conduct detrimental to the team and justifies a dismissal from the program.  

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My point was that he was wronged by the girl, so I'm standing up for him in the fact that everything else needs to be looked into to make sure that Gus didn't make the wrong call based on being provided false information.

Cool, as long as your first question with regards to how this concerns Auburn really is whether or not Gus dismissed him because of this girl. It didn't seem like that based on previous posts. 

no medical attention sought

You're certain of that? 

I don't buy the "coerced into falsely recanting" concept

Not even allowing for the possibility, even though it's a very common occurrence. Okay.

I do think it's interesting that when the guys are accused of something, people are always giving them a pass because college guys do stupid crap all of the time, but when a college girl admits to doing something stupid, a large group of people immediately think she was paid-off or threatened into saying she did it.

Yeah, I do give a guy a pass for smoking weed. I do not give a guy a pass for assaulting a woman, nor do I give a girl a pass for making false accusations. All I'm suggesting is that folks like yourself pump the brakes when you don't know what the facts are. "Based on all the information presented"? What factual information has been presented, other than Jovon was kicked off the team and the girl recanted her story?

Trust me, college girls are just as stupid, vindictive, selfish, and violent as college guys.  The stories my wife shares with me would blow your mind.

I went to college. Even knew some girls there.

And, unfortunately, yes, the school better "lawyer up", because even if they have all of their ducks in a row, there are plenty of lawyers that will go after them (just think of how many bama grads have law degrees and probably chase ambulances for a living).

Point conceded. Not sure they have anything to actually fear here, though. Because we still have no idea what specific reason(s) Jovon was dismissed for. The poor, done wrong innocent... clearly our best RB last year who didn't play much despite not being injured, whose former coach and longtime advocate has said on multiple occasions that he had attitude problems, missed meetings, etc., who was involved in some kind of altercation with his own teammate (yet to return to practice due to undisclosed injuries), who was dismissed by a coach who is desperate to keep his job and who isn't convinced he has a viable quarterback... yeah, we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt. 

The fact that someone used a Freedom of Information Act inquiry to get the emails on this situation says that someone is looking into it for a reason. Let's face it... Crepea is an a**, but he's not going to file a Freedom of Information Act request just to see if the dismissal was legit. He would have to see some smoke before taking the time to look for fire.

You mean like Jovon Robinson telling him the dismissal wasn't legit? Crepea, who has done his best to take down Gus for years just because Gus no-showed a media event in Montgomery? Dude. Come on. 

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Jovon was already given guidelines to follow after last years incidents which held him out of action, he had guidelines during the spring to follow and the summer.  They had cause, there was documentation for over a year of missed classes, late for meetings, etc.  All of which falls under conduct detrimental to the team and justifies a dismissal from the program.  

I mean, this stuff has been shoved in our face for a long time now. Suddenly it doesn't matter anymore because a girl may or may not have lied about one particular incident. Suddenly it's more likely that Gus got an email in the middle of the night and immediately clicked delete on his best running back. Goodness gracious.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

no medical attention sought

You're certain of that? 

According to the reports I read, it was looked into and there was no record of her seeking medical attention.

I don't buy the "coerced into falsely recanting" concept

Not even allowing for the possibility, even though it's a very common occurrence. Okay.

I outlined my reasoning. Evidence trumps common occurrence. Only investigating can determine the truth, but if it were put in front of a jury with what has been presented, no one could make the case that she falsely recanted.  

All I'm suggesting is that folks like yourself pump the brakes when you don't know what the facts are.

Here's where I think our signals are getting crossed.  I'm not calling for Jovon to be reinstated, saying it was wrong to kick him off the team, or anything else like that.  I'm calling for a deeper investigation to make sure it was the right move in light of new evidence and saying that no matter who is right or wrong that there is a good chance that the school will get sued over this.

Trust me, college girls are just as stupid, vindictive, selfish, and violent as college guys.  The stories my wife shares with me would blow your mind.

I went to college. Even knew some girls there.

Me too... it's LOTS worse now.

And, unfortunately, yes, the school better "lawyer up", because even if they have all of their ducks in a row, there are plenty of lawyers that will go after them (just think of how many bama grads have law degrees and probably chase ambulances for a living).

Point conceded. Not sure they have anything to actually fear here, though.

The only thing they have to really fear is more dragging our name through the mud, distractions for our coaching staff, and the money it will cost to fight it. Unless someone actually did screw up... then it will cost A LOT more money and our name will be dragged deeper into the mud.

You mean like Jovon Robinson telling him the dismissal wasn't legit? Crepea, who has done his best to take down Gus for years just because Gus no-showed a media event in Montgomery? Dude. Come on

I still think it's much more likely that there's already a lawyer involved and that's how Crepea caught the scent.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Only investigating can determine the truth

So we agree on that.

Here's where I think our signals are getting crossed.  I'm not calling for Jovon to be reinstated, saying it was wrong to kick him off the team, or anything else like that.  I'm calling for a deeper investigation to make sure it was the right move in light of new evidence and saying that no matter who is right or wrong that there is a good chance that the school will get sued over this.

Okay. "Looks like the university really blew it on this one" sounded like you'd made up your mind.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

So we agree on that.

Okay. "Looks like the university really blew it on this one" sounded like you'd made up your mind.

yea... I need to be more specific when I say those things I guess.  It looks like they really blew it on the situation with the girl. The lack of communication between the Title IX person an Gus, after he first reported it to them, and the lack of proper investigation by the Title IX person are what I was referring to, not the dismissal of Jovon.  If he was wronged by the school remains to be seen, but the Title IX person is probably in their bosses office this morning and not having a good day.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

yea... I need to be more specific when I say those things I guess.  It looks like they really blew it on the situation with the girl. The lack of communication between the Title IX person an Gus, after he first reported it to them, and the lack of proper investigation by the Title IX person are what I was referring to, not the dismissal of Jovon.  If he was wronged by the school remains to be seen, but the Title IX person is probably in their bosses office this morning and not having a good day.

That all makes good sense. :cheers:

My comments are not directed at any particular person, but this thread is a perfect example of why practicing law without a license is against the law.  The firm that handles AU's litigation matters is as good as it gets.

Archived