Malzahn's Weekly Presser - Arkansas State Game

tombigbeetiger

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

So true...can strip you bare with one look.

You sayin' it's a bad thing?

'course my wife leaves the socks, I'm old, and

you're, well, um, .....

avian?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

I'm out too... seems like I've been out since Sunday...  But I "like" what I'm hearing from Gus,

I just REALLY hope we see a well designed Offense and game plan for SW to run and be successful starting this week.

Maybe a Little more Edward Hopper as opposed to Jackson Pollack...

Okay, I admit that I had to look up Edward Hopper but GOOD CALL!

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, I admit that I had to look up Edward Hopper but GOOD CALL!

ok it let's me "like" one... and then I'm out of likes again?? weird...

58 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Cam WAS all 3 quarterbacks... :muscles:

Well, 

Coach Malzahn has realized that all he needs is a dual-threat QB corps.

Quintuple seemed excessive?

I am glad to hear that CGM knows the offensive mess he put on the field Saturday night didn't work and will never work!   He owned it.. Said things would be different.. Can't wait to see what happens Saturday night!!! War Eagle 

5 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I am glad to hear that CGM knows the offensive mess he put on the field Saturday night didn't work and will never work!   He owned it.. Said things would be different.. Can't wait to see what happens Saturday night!!! War Eagle 

Just wondering if the AU coaches over-rated the Clemson D and did not consider that AU could beat them by playing straight-up football....and thought they would have to resort to trickery to move the ball ?   :dunno:           

Gus is known to out-smart himself and Saturday night was one of those occasions.  I'm of the opinion that if AU had approached Clemson with more confidence in the offense, things would have gone better.

One of those things that probably sounded pretty slick when everyone sat around discussing the plan....but sure looked bad in real life.   Oh well, back to the drawing board.   

Just now, AU64 said:

Just wondering if the AU coaches over-rated the Clemson D and did not consider that AU could beat them by playing straight-up football....and thought they would have to resort to trickery to move the ball ?  

Of course, the other option is that they really are that good and had we gone out there with a traditional game plan, the results could have been as bad or worse. One of those we'll never know situations. It certainly looked like our coaches were out of their minds, but I'm not ready to say what little success we had was because Clemson doesn't have a very good D.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course, the other option is that they really are that good and had we gone out there with a traditional game plan, the results could have been as bad or worse. One of those we'll never know situations. It certainly looked like our coaches were out of their minds, but I'm not ready to say what little success we had was because Clemson doesn't have a very good D.

I'm just comparing the second half to the first half....when we gained about 250 yards still messing around with the QBs but not to the same extent.   I'm just of the opinion that all of the QB shuffle was confusing to the OL .....and perhaps they are better than they appeared during that first half.    And I doubt Clemson had let down defensively considering the score and all after halftime....but holes started appearing for the RB and WRs were getting open.

It's done now of course so all we can do is speculate.

4 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Pettway will have more of a role.

Or was this decision regarding QBs and using Petway, told to Coach Malzahn from upper management. If it was not, how in the heck did he think how using 3 QB packages was going to work, especially in the first game, against a top 5 team.

I can understand working out the kinks of 3 qbs in a gimme first game, to then watch film and improve on it going into the second game.

But to think this would work, with all it's complications, and delays, and when it was failing, it caused all 3 QBs to not feel confident in what they were told to execute...IMHO.

I'm not so sure why everyone feels that Gus had to have a "talking to" to learn from his mistakes.  A post game presser, especially after a tough loss,  is not the best time to be deeply introspective.   How many of you guys relish the opportunity to do a little soul searching while being criticized by the media immediately after a loss / mistake. 

I'm sure there is not one of us on this board that wants to win more than Gus.  Heck, he's got more riding on this than we do.

I don't have any trouble believing that he could have sat down in the days following the loss, watched the film and came to the same conclusion we did.

I like hearing this.  SW is #1, JF3 is #2 (I'm sure he'll get some snaps, which fine as long as it makes sense).  The QB Circus last Saturday was horrible!

AND, he admitted his plan was bad and he'll do better moving forward.

I also like that he said NMC, and K Davis will be playing a lot more AND that Pettway will be more involved (Does anybody know why he didn't play Saturday?)

If any of this is remotely close to the truth (and I believe it is) we will be MUCH better on Offense, which means we will be a very good team this year!!  

32 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I'm not so sure why everyone feels that Gus had to have a "talking to" to learn from his mistakes.  A post game presser, especially after a tough loss,  is not the best time to be deeply introspective.   How many of you guys relish the opportunity to do a little soul searching while being criticized by the media immediately after a loss / mistake. 

I'm sure there is not one of us on this board that wants to win more than Gus.  Heck, he's got more riding on this than we do.

I don't have any trouble believing that he could have sat down in the days following the loss, watched the film and came to the same conclusion we did.

Well he has years of experience coordinating offenses and how to utilize QBs. But to wait until AFTER the first game for an experienced highly paid coach to come to this conclusion?  Most laycoaches would have known it would be a very confusing, high risk way of designing offensive plays with 3 different QBs against a top 5 team.

Just give me some idea how he thought he would be successful in changing QBs 40% of the time and lining up multiple QBs at WR with never ANY intention of using that player on a play. It just seems that he was limiting his play options.

Using a DT QB to only hand off while in there. having a QB in JJ run QB dives, when you have a powerful RB in Pettway who has the experience to gain 1 yard in important offensive drives. 

Sorry...i just feel anyone supporting CGM with his first game planning is not looking at the reality of our offensive dysfunctionality now going on in its 2nd year...

When he stated "Overall we played the #2 team in the country that played for the NC last year with a majority of there guys back and we had a chance to win the game. That was a positive." That statement right there took me back to my anger Saturday. Maybe i'm reading it wrong but that just makes be feel that he came into that game not expecting to win it. I'm trying so hard not to be like "Fire Gus" but what coach in there right mind is that calm and ok about the fact that his defense played lights out and if he had any brains to direct our offense...we win? I don't know if i want a coach with a mindset like that honestly. Goodness gracious that statement doesn't sit well with me. I really hope he figures this out FAST!

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Sorry...i just feel anyone supporting CGM with his first game planning is not looking at the reality of our offensive dysfunctionality now going on in its 2nd year...

I've yet to see a single person support his game planning.  All GoAU was saying that all he had to do was watch the film to see it was a debacle. He didn't need someone to tell him.

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

When he stated "Overall we played the #2 team in the country that played for the NC last year with a majority of there guys back and we had a chance to win the game. That was a positive." That statement right there took me back to my anger Saturday. Maybe i'm reading it wrong but that just makes be feel that he came into that game not expecting to win it. I'm trying so hard not to be like "Fire Gus" but what coach in there right mind is that calm and ok about the fact that his defense played lights out and if he had any brains to direct our offense...we win? I don't know if i want a coach with a mindset like that honestly. Goodness gracious that statement doesn't sit well with me. I really hope he figures this out FAST!

I don't see it that way at all.  To me it says that he believes it's a positive that, even though we lost, we took what should be one of the best teams in the country to the wire. That does bode well for us.  I would even be willing to say that if we can develop even a halfway decent offense, we will have a shot in every game because our D played that good in their first game against a formidable opponent. By the time we get to A&M and LSU, they should be a well oiled, drive stopping machine.

6 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

The way he's talking we're done seeing JJ in meaningful game action.

Didn't he run the clock down to zero twice? 

If you can't function in the real world, you're not needed. 

It's a real shame - so much talent and he can't engage the gears. I do really feel for him, but that experiment needs to be over. 

4 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

It was brought up by someone in the media in the presser today that Clemsons defensive coordinator got word of some plays we might run Thursday before the game.  There is an indication there might be a mole.  Anybody heard anymore on this?  And how do you prevent something like this from happening?

Is this supposed to be a joke? 

I'd like to be on record saying that given what we've heard in the presser and having read the article interviewing Trooper Taylor, I am cautiously optimistic that Gus is going to turn the corner. We have the talent to be a very potent offense (talent alone is the only explanation for have that offensive plan scored 13 against Clemson). We will see Saturday if Gus Malzahn will right the ship.

I believe that the whole QB by committee brainchild has its roots in the fact that Gus does not trust any of his quarterbacks. I don't know if it is that he doesn't trust their ability, their knowledge of the playbook, the ability to think on their feet...he just plainly does not trust them. I think he was rocked last year when Jeremy went south on him. I bet he spent many sleepless nights wondering how to "fix" Jeremy. And part of the 3 QB experiment was to see if Jeremy had indeed been "fixed". Honestly, I don't necessarily think that is all due to ego on his part. I think he honestly cares about his players and didn't want to put them in positions that were going to be too much for them.I think he overestimated Clemson and underestimated his players. I think he has learned from this that he has to let them succeed or fail on their own and face the consequences. I am sure it kills him that Jeremy isn't going to make it as a quarterback. I am cautiously optimistic that we will see a more rational game plan. Y'all were complaining about vanilla and we got rocky road. lol

This is all just my opinion, of course.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Just wondering if the AU coaches over-rated the Clemson D and did not consider that AU could beat them by playing straight-up football....and thought they would have to resort to trickery to move the ball ?   :dunno:           

Gus is known to out-smart himself and Saturday night was one of those occasions.  I'm of the opinion that if AU had approached Clemson with more confidence in the offense, things would have gone better.

One of those things that probably sounded pretty slick when everyone sat around discussing the plan....but sure looked bad in real life.   Oh well, back to the drawing board.   

I wish I knew what CGM was thinking when he thought that offensive game plan would work.. Trying to figure out WHY he decided to do what he did gives me a headache .. Seriously.  I can't wrap my head around why anyone would think it was a good idea! 

36 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Is this supposed to be a joke? 

Today during Gus' presser, 2 media guys asked Gus about a report that said the Clemsons defensive coordinator was getting word about some plays that auburn was going to run in the game.  Not sure if it is true or not, just wondering if anybody heard anything about this?  I don't know how you could totally stop game plans from getting out?  Does the team have a policy around this?

22 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Today during Gus' presser, 2 media guys asked Gus about a report that said the Clemsons defensive coordinator was getting word about some plays that auburn was going to run in the game.  Not sure if it is true or not, just wondering if anybody heard anything about this?  I don't know how you could totally stop game plans from getting out?  Does the team have a policy around this?

If I remember right, Clemson's D Coordinator said that he heard we might run the wing T so he googled how to stop it.

24 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

In my experience, it's more of a gentlemen's rule than anything else. These multi-million dollar schools could all be pulling strings left and right to help themselves win games this way. Just look at how much more a school (and conference) make when they win a national championship. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Well he has years of experience coordinating offenses and how to utilize QBs. But to wait until AFTER the first game for an experienced highly paid coach to come to this conclusion?  Most laycoaches would have known it would be a very confusing, high risk way of designing offensive plays with 3 different QBs against a top 5 team.

Just give me some idea how he thought he would be successful in changing QBs 40% of the time and lining up multiple QBs at WR with never ANY intention of using that player on a play. It just seems that he was limiting his play options.

Using a DT QB to only hand off while in there. having a QB in JJ run QB dives, when you have a powerful RB in Pettway who has the experience to gain 1 yard in important offensive drives. 

Even through all that BS we saw on O. We were 3 QB mistakes from leading by 15 pts. Either way, what we saw on O can't happen again. That was definitely the strangest offensive game plan in 30 years of watching college football. I do think we'll improve if he sticks with SW and situational JF3. 

Archived