auburn changing to two qb system per au undercover...

aubiefifty

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn plans to focus on using two quarterbacks against Arkansas State on Saturday.

After watching a three-quarterback system struggle to pick up first downs and score points, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn announced Tuesday the change in plans. Sean White will start at quarterback and John Franklin III, a dual-threat player, will take reps with the second-team offense.

"We thought it would be successful," but it was not, Malzahn admitted.

Subscribe to the FREE Auburn Undercover newsletter for the best, most-up-to-date Tigers coverage on the planet — it only takes five seconds to sign up!

"Going into the first game the plan was that we were going to throw a lot at them," Malzahn said. "We felt like all three quarterbacks had some things they could be successful with, we were going to give them a lot to think about."

When asked if Franklin III will serve as a Wildcat quarterback, Malzahn responded: "We're bringing John along with the offense. He'll get the No. 2 reps in practice."

Jeremy Johnson will work with the third-team offense and "will be ready if called upon," Malzahn said if Johnson, who is 7-3 as a starter.

"Our goal going in was to be aggressive," Malzahn said of the Clemson game plan.

6_4789247.jpg

Excellent.  Arkansas st can be a good warmup for Sean to continue to develop his relationships with his receivers, and be ready for TAMU.

If we are going to use two-QB system, then our execution on O-Line and WR blocking will be crucial. Because you just know that defenses are going to gear up for a run play when JF3 comes in. It worked for Texas because they had blocked well enough to amass 50 points, but if our O-Line was shaky in Clemson, then we better brace for some TFLs this Saturday. 

This can be confirmed as it was in Malzahn's press conference.  Me being the optimist sees this as Malzahn starting to see his errors and correcting them.  My only reservation is that he said White would start last game and although that was true, White did not play the whole time as well documented by now.  I hope White is the full time starter with JFIII being a wildcat.

That will be the closest we will see to Malzahn admitting his game plan was a failure. It surprises me he said that much, publicly anyway.

Here's to hoping Sean can get into a rhythm and Gus uses JF3 wisely!

Haven't hear much about 2 QB systems in the past but seeing more of it now....Texas using them over ND the other night and I think FSU was just a fumble or INT away from making a change last night before the freshman got his act together. 

Of course it's early in the season and like AU, some teams are still trying to find out who can get the job done.   It was a quick audition for Bateman Saturday night but Hurt got all the publicity even though Barnette seemed to have the best stats by far.   So who is the bama QB? ...not that I care much but picking a QB does not seem to be just an AU problem....yet...but at least we seem to be down to 2 of them.

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

SW as the primary QB and clear #1, bringing JF3 along slowly as a #2 and the duel threat QB, I'm good with that. That's similar to the Texas QB situation. 

It's what most of us expected almost from the time that it became evident that JF3 was going to get a legit shot at QB. Honestly... ugh, I really can't believe I'm saying it... this could end up being a case of the fans being smarter than the coaches. 

I I feel more optimistic going forward that Gus sees that the interchangeable qb's was not going to work. Hopefully the Arky State game will get Sean some good reps with the receivers and begin to establish some identity on offense.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's what most of us expected almost from the time that it became evident that JF3 was going to get a legit shot at QB. Honestly... ugh, I really can't believe I'm saying it... this could end up being a case of the fans being smarter than the coaches. 

Yep, most of us thought that would be the way it would be done. 

I'm good with the two qb 's as long as he doesn't rotate them after every play and lets one qb get about 80 -90% of the snaps.

This is what Gus should have done against Clemson. However it is what it is.  I would love though for JFIII to surprise the defense this week and let him throw a pass or 2. This would open things up much better. Will this happen? God only know. We need to show a lot of improvement in order to get ready for SEC play.  We can beat LSU, OM, and TAMU if we get things straightened out.

As I posted in another thread, I got what I wanted.  That being CGM taking ownership of the debacle.  Now, I just hope he lets whichever QB is best for the program stay in the game and get into a rhythm.  I am more excited about what JF can do at QB but I think we can win 8-9 games with SW if JF cannot develop.

Archived