Andy Staples - AU article

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And let me tell you this: We're giving him everything he needs to get it done. There are no barriers here. Whatever he thinks he needs to recruit the best, train the best, hire the best coaches, facilities, nutrition, sports psychology, weight room, academics—whatever it is. We'll provide what he needs to have a successful program."

If you look at the athletic budgets around the Power 5, I doubt there is any coach that is not "getting everything he needs"   Schools are in an arms battle over facilities and I bet it's impossible to tie all those fancy facilities to some direct output in the way of team performance........so mostly we have a stalemate over time. 

I'm OK with JJ as an AD and figure he is better than most and don't know who is any better over the long run.....but that comment is just CYA..saying that if we don't win, it ain't my fault.

JMO anyway, but that comment is purely conjecture and ignores the built in advantage some schools have in the way of money,program stability, morality, academic standards and numerous other things.

Exactly. If anything, the facility upgrades only allows us to keep up with Jonses. Doesn't necessarily mean we are at an advantage.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He just rages way too hard against the attention the SEC has garnered in this era. It's become whiny and tiresome. Of course, I stopped reading him awhile back so he's possibly chilled out some.

I can't remember the name of his old column that I used to enjoy reading, but it's been quite some time, so he could be entirely different from what I imagined.  I do recall him being one of the few voices of reason during Camgate.  

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And let me tell you this: We're giving him everything he needs to get it done. There are no barriers here. Whatever he thinks he needs to recruit the best, train the best, hire the best coaches, facilities, nutrition, sports psychology, weight room, academics—whatever it is. We'll provide what he needs to have a successful program."

If you look at the athletic budgets around the Power 5, I doubt there is any coach that is not "getting everything he needs"   Schools are in an arms battle over facilities and I bet it's impossible to tie all those fancy facilities to some direct output in the way of team performance........so mostly we have a stalemate over time. 

I'm OK with JJ as an AD and figure he is better than most and don't know who is any better over the long run.....but that comment is just CYA..saying that if we don't win, it ain't my fault.

JMO anyway, but that comment is purely conjecture and ignores the built in advantage some schools have in the way of money,program stability, morality, academic standards and numerous other things.

Yes it is. Jay is feeling the heat. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I can't remember the name of his old column that I used to enjoy reading, but it's been quite some time, so he could be entirely different from what I imagined.  I do recall him being one of the few voices of reason during Camgate.  

His mailbag? Yep, loved the guy for awhile. Then SEC fatigue set in everywhere, and he was at the forefront with his pitchfork. It seeped into everything he wrote, to the point that he couldn't say anything positive about the league whatsoever. I'm no SEC homer- fans chanting "SEC!" is the single dumbest thing I've ever seen, and the rest of this league can kiss Auburn's orange and blue a$$ for all I care- but I can't stand sports writers with agendas. Which is why I consume less and less sports media every year. It's gotten to the point that I enjoy sports radio most, because those guys at least don't take themselves too seriously. 

Sorry... I know we have a media forum. Good article. Thanks for posting. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'm sure every Power 5 budget does get everything they need.  The point is, after JJ proclaims Gus is the man and will be the head coach for a long time, he sticks the underlined portion of the quote at the end.  What other P5 school reminds the public that their coach has everything they need to succeed without being asked?  This definitely is a CYA and JJ just sent the first salvo over the bow of Gus' boat.

I don't like it and hope Gus can pull this out.  WDE/WDE is right, I just wish Gus and JJ would keep their month shut.

In the late 80s, uat was the red headed step child since Auburn won the SEC in 87, 88 and 89 with Pat Dye. Those were great days. Wish we would regain those days again.

Archived