Biden says Democrats have stopped talking to white, working-class voters

TitanTiger

Just now, homersapien said:

Translation:  The high poverty rate of black people is their own fault.  Blame the victims.  Don't help them.

It's NOT HELPING. So, instead of carrying on w/ the textbook definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, isn't it about time to admit the " war on poverty " isn't going so well, and to try something else ? This would be like sticking with Neville Chamberlain as the NAZIS are goosestepping through Buckingham Palace ! 

1 hour ago, AURaptor said:

Nice link:

Alan Brinkley has suggested that "the gap between the expansive intentions of the War on Poverty and its relatively modest achievements fueled later conservative arguments that government is not an appropriate vehicle for solving social problems."[9] One of Johnson's aides, Joseph A. Califano, Jr., has countered that "from 1963 when Lyndon Johnson took office until 1970 as the impact of his Great Society programs were felt, the portion of Americans living below the poverty line dropped from 22.2 percent to 12.6 percent, the most dramatic decline over such a brief period in this century."[27] The percentage of African Americans below the poverty line dropped from 55 percent in 1960 to 27 percent in 1968.[39] 

7 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

It's NOT HELPING. So, instead of carrying on w/ the textbook definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, isn't it about time to admit the " war on poverty " isn't going so well, and to try something else ? This would be like sticking with Neville Chamberlain as the NAZIS are goosestepping through Buckingham Palace ! 

It's not the same program.  You're just repeating a conservative meme.

How about listing some current programs that need to be cut?

Poverty was already coming down before the great redistribution ,err.. I mean the great society nonsense. 

poverty-rate-historical1.png

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It's not the same program.  You're just repeating a conservative meme.

How about listing some current programs that need to be cut?

Doesn't' have to be exactly the same, genius. The " good intentions " and all are what matter most, right ? 

Poverty was already coming down before the great redistribution ,err.. I mean the great society nonsense. 

poverty-rate-historical1.png

Thanks for the supportive graph.

Doesn't' have to be exactly the same, genius. The " good intentions " and all are what matter most, right ? 

How about naming some current programs that need to be cut.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Translation:  The high poverty rate of black people is their own fault.  Blame the victims.  Don't help them.

And 60 years ago, black kids couldn't even attend the school I attended in Irondale, AL.  I guess that was their fault also. 

Well, if you're any indication of the quality of education in Irondale, then they were lucky.  

As for your cookie cutter democrat party knee jerk response (isn't that the definition of plagiarism?); the answer is no, of course not.   High poverty rates are the result of the destruction of the black family; children raised without fathers, and creating programs that reward sloth; not industry.  The #1 indicator of poverty is being raised in a single parent household; whether black or white.  All of these policies are firmly at the doorstep of Democrat policies; that have now been championed by the political class of both parties.  There will always be those that need a hand up; and social security is there for the aged; however, working age folks need to, well, work; and the gov't doesn't need to incent out of wedlock births.  Food stamps recipients should not have doubled in the last 8 years; that is a crime....if the economy and current policies are so damn awesome, then the welfare roles should have gone down; not up.  Oh wait, was I using logic; damn...can't do that when testing the efficacy of a democrat program.....I am sure Homey needs to find a safe space now after my unfeeling response.      

Guest NC1406
1 hour ago, homersapien said:

How about naming some current programs that need to be cut.

Name a program that has been unequivocally successful. 

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Well, if you're any indication of the quality of education in Irondale, then they were lucky.  

Best slam ever! At least today. And on the most intellectually snobbish person on the board. 

Kudos, sir. 

22 minutes ago, japantiger said:

As for your cookie cutter democrat party knee jerk response (isn't that the definition of plagiarism?); the answer is no, of course not.   High poverty rates are the result of the destruction of the black family; children raised without fathers, and creating programs that reward sloth; not industry.  The #1 indicator of poverty is being raised in a single parent household; whether black or white.  All of these policies are firmly at the doorstep of Democrat policies; that have now been championed by the political class of both parties.  There will always be those that need a hand up; and social security is there for the aged; however, working age folks need to, well, work; and the gov't doesn't need to incent out of wedlock births.  Food stamps recipients should not have doubled in the last 8 years; that is a crime....if the economy and current policies are so damn awesome, then the welfare roles should have gone down; not up.  Oh wait, was I using logic; damn...can't do that when testing the efficacy of a democrat program.....I am sure Homey needs to find a safe space now after my unfeeling response.      

We rode by their school in our bus on the way to ours.  No they weren't

My ACT score was 29.  How about you?

15 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

Best slam ever! At least today. And on the most intellectually snobbish person on the board. 

Kudos, sir. 

I am not intellectually snobbish.  It just seems that way to you.

Just now, homersapien said:

I am not intellectually snobbish.  It just seems that way to you.

The sun rises in the west too, doesn't it? 

You define intellectually snobbish along with most other liberals these days. 

21 minutes ago, NC1406 said:

Name a program that has been unequivocally successful. 

Well, assuming we are still talking about aid to the poor and if you define success by alleviating their suffering, Food Stamps, WIC  and Medicare have been very successful.  Such programs have never been intended to lift poor people out of poverty but to alleviate their suffering.

Federal pre-school programs and grants as well as the Student Financial Aid program have been successful in helping to lift people out of poverty, but we need to do a lot more in the area of education.  

But the question was what programs you feel need to be cut or eliminated?

Archived