i keep reading where recruits and even some sports folks

aubiefifty

Not to mention that ridiculous game we played against Wisconsin.

They brought Barry Alvarez's ole wrinkled ass out of retirement to coach that team. :banghead:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I hear out here, Summlin's seat is glowing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. TAMU alum feel he has tarnished some of the Aggie shine they are so proud of.

Can't say I disagree with them. I see zero of the honor that they are supposed to represent under Sumlin's watch.

I am baffled as to why Gus's seat would be hot right now. If he continued to have more seasons like this past one, then I could understand. However, if you find a coach who does well (and 2010 and 2013 at least show that), you stick with him through the down years. I mean like three, even four down years. THEN a seat should become hot. Cycling coaches through like a revolving door is just asking for failure-it does not work.

I am baffled as to why Gus's seat would be hot right now. If he continued to have more seasons like this past one, then I could understand. However, if you find a coach who does well (and 2010 and 2013 at least show that), you stick with him through the down years. I mean like three, even four down years. THEN a seat should become hot. Cycling coaches through like a revolving door is just asking for failure-it does not work.

As long as the total wins number keeps going down, his seat will get warmer and warmer, simple as that.

Welcome to the SEC, where numbers without explanation overpower logic year after year.

Welcome to the SEC, where numbers without explanation overpower logic year after year.

I'm not saying I'm on board with him being let go but 2-9 in last 11 SEC games is at least a very logical concern IMO.

I wouldn't jump on the OP, I've read this too. Not entirely sure where, but I know Tray Bishop has said something about it, as well as Kam Martin and Mond I believe said something but sadly did not commit. Not entirely sure of links to these but I certainly have seen them

I'm not saying I'm on board with him being let go but 2-9 in last 11 SEC games is at least a very logical concern IMO.

That is where I am with regard to Gus. I have had faith in him since he arrived, and this season will determine whether that faith was misplaced. An SEC Championship is not required, but I definitely want to see evidence that the downward trend has been reversed.

I'd be concerned if so many things that were either partially or completely out of his control didn't go wrong last year AND, nearly all of those losses weren't close. But both of those things are the case, so I have to see how this year goes before I make a judgement.

I'd be concerned if so many things that were either partially or completely out of his control didn't go wrong last year AND, nearly all of those losses weren't close. But both of those things are the case, so I have to see how this year goes before I make a judgement.

This should be good...Like what?

Really E? Did you miss the part where our all-star defensive end, two of our top running backs, and both our back-up and 3rd string QB were injured? How about the part where our all-star wide receiver lost his mind and injured our back-up center, effectively ending both of their seasons? Are you going to tell me Gus could control those things?

Really E? Did you miss the part where our all-star defensive end, two of our top running backs, and both our back-up and 3rd string QB were injured? How about the part where our all-star wide receiver lost his mind and injured our back-up center, effectively ending both of their seasons? Are you going to tell me Gus could control those things?

No but of those only Carl's injudy & Duke being Duke had a major affect on the season. As for the RBs only 1 RB I remember being hurt was Jovon but he was good to go by game 3. After that he stayed in Hus's dog house a while because he was not working as hard as he needed to. Yoiu are giving Gus way too much of a pass of not having his teams prepared to play, specifically never having a plan to go to if Sean had to be the QB.

In reality though this is college football & Ws & Ls matter much more than circumstances no matter what they may be. Therefore the 2-9 trend is a logical concern right now that only grows if the trend does not change.

You should do more reading here. That will cure you of any overwhelming feelings of hope and positivity.

By the end of this year there will be no one that thinks Gus is on a hot-seat. I think Jacobs is smart enough to know that he has one of the best coaches out there. 2013 was not a fluke. It like 2010 was followed by a large class graduation leaving AU short-handed. Last year was the fluke. There was a lot of injuries to important players on the team. My personal thought was that maybe Gus pulled JJ to early. They were 2-1 at that point. I think that move divided the team more than it helped. Anyway I think this year will be more in line with 2010 or 2013, where we came in under the radar and with a chip on our shoulder. Don't forget Auburn has recruited top ten classes the last few year. They have the Jimmies and Joes that just need the chemistry and for some things to go right like the injury bug staying away and the ball to bounce our way some. You can call it luck but I assure you no team that wins it all does it without those two things happening.Just as we could go from first to worst last year we can go worst to first this year. We have been there and done that. WDE

By the end of this year there will be no one that thinks Gus is on a hot-seat. I think Jacobs is smart enough to know that he has one of the best coaches out there. 2013 was not a fluke. It like 2010 was followed by a large class graduation leaving AU short-handed. Last year was the fluke. There was a lot of injuries to important players on the team. My personal thought was that maybe Gus pulled JJ to early. They were 2-1 at that point. I think that move divided the team more than it helped. Anyway I think this year will be more in line with 2010 or 2013, where we came in under the radar and with a chip on our shoulder. Don't forget Auburn has recruited top ten classes the last few year. They have the Jimmies and Joes that just need the chemistry and for some things to go right like the injury bug staying away and the ball to bounce our way some. You can call it luck but I assure you no team that wins it all does it without those two things happening.Just as we could go from first to worst last year we can go worst to first this year. We have been there and done that. WDE

I agree with the first sentence. No one will be thinking or wondering. He'll likely either not be off the hot seat due to a good season or everyone will be 100 percent sure that he is on the hot seat. I'm hoping he has a solid season, but should the latter happen, there won't be any thinking left to do on the matter...he will likely be unemployed and will no longer have a seat to heat up.

As for the rest of the post, I hope you are right.

And last place in SEC West not a good trend

Thats right. Fire JJ

Thats right. Fire JJ

Why do you say that? Do you want to fire JJ?

Thats right. Fire JJ

Why do you say that? Do you want to fire JJ?

Not me, but that seems to be the perceived solution to about any problem on the Auburn campus whether it be shortage of parking spaces or the quality of food in the various eating establishments. JJ the person responsible for everything negative that happens at Auburn...... Golf, I'm surprised you have not realized that .

No but of those only Carl's injudy & Duke being Duke had a major affect on the season. As for the RBs only 1 RB I remember being hurt was Jovon but he was good to go by game 3. After that he stayed in Hus's dog house a while because he was not working as hard as he needed to. Yoiu are giving Gus way too much of a pass of not having his teams prepared to play, specifically never having a plan to go to if Sean had to be the QB.

In reality though this is college football & Ws & Ls matter much more than circumstances no matter what they may be. Therefore the 2-9 trend is a logical concern right now that only grows if the trend does not change.

Not having Jovon on the field was huge. Barber did what he could, but he was never a breakaway threat. As to why Jovon wasn't on the field, I'm still taking coaches at their word that he was not 100% until he finally started playing and it wasn't "Gus being stubborn". Gus likes to win too much to hold out his best player when the team is struggling.

Roc was hurt for most of the season, and when he wasn't, it wasn't long until he was again. That was also huge because, again, he was a breakaway threat, unlike the 3rd string back we were having to ride for most of the season.

I also don't buy the Gus didn't have a plan crap. While I don't agree with how he wasted a game letting Sean get comfortable by holding him back, it was pretty obvious that the game plan was working quite well for Sean after that first game, until he got hurt. What Gus didn't have was receivers. That partially falls on him for not making a point of recruiting high level players in that position, but that also falls on Craig for apparently doing next to nothing to get them ready to do their job (which, of course, is ultimately Gus's fault, since he is the boss).

Finally, the fact that with a QB who was a head case, a third string running back, no real star at wide receiver, a brand new center, and our #1 defensive player on the sidelines we managed to be in nearly every game until the end tells me that Gus most certainly had them ready to play... he just didn't have the depth to pull it off. And before anyone claims that is an indication of his failure as a coach, tell me how good the oft vaunted Mark Richt did when he lost his best back and receiver and still had a good QB.

Jeesh,  when will it all end?  Do we still have Terry Bowden on the payroll?  U gotta know Auburn is the king of ex coaches.  Lets have at least a two term limit.  The turnover is killing us.

Archived