Will Auburn be the Dark Horse this year?

Johndunc

If JF3 starts, AU wins no less than 9 games, and here's why I say that: He would have had to beat out 2 players who were already in the system (albeit, those 2 didn't exactly shock the world), but for a JUCO QB who was virtually unknown this time last year to do that speaks volumes to his capability to handle the offense.

MSU, Arkansas and even Ole Miss are beatable. LSU will be tough but Les refuses to play modern football (points are a premium and AU can score with the right QB). Bama will be tough to beat, but look how close the Iron Bowl was last year...

Don't count yourselves out based on last year. There is talent on this team and Gus can win with talent.

Lots of talent on the 2015 AU team.

Pre-season... By game 2, a lot of that talent was injured and by mid season we were more a triage than a football team.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maverick I hear you with the inconsistencies. However, I do consider 2 SEC Titles in 6 years with a national title elite. Especially playing in this league. I know this is a hypothetical but imo with Lawson in 2014 we beat A&M, Alabama, and possibly Miss State. I also think we play for the SEC title and probably win it with Lawson in 2014. That would have been 3 SEC titles in 6 years. I guess I am saying more along the lines that we have elite talent. Only 2 other teams in the country can say they have accomplished as much as we have the past 6 years which imo is elite. If we have Lawson in 2014 nobody would question our status as elite. We were a pass rush away from being very very good and prob winning the SEC imo. I know we beat A&M, Alabama, and probably Miss State with Lawson on the field in 2014.

Maverick I hear you with the inconsistencies. However, I do consider 2 SEC Titles in 6 years with a national title elite. Especially playing in this league. I know this is a hypothetical but imo with Lawson in 2014 we beat A&M, Alabama, and possibly Miss State. I also think we play for the SEC title and probably win it with Lawson in 2014. That would have been 3 SEC titles in 6 years. I guess I am saying more along the lines that we have elite talent. Only 2 other teams in the country can say they have accomplished as much as we have the past 6 years which imo is elite. If we have Lawson in 2014 nobody would question our status as elite. We were a pass rush away from being very very good and prob winning the SEC imo. I know we beat A&M, Alabama, and probably Miss State with Lawson on the field in 2014.

I agree with u on the hypotheticals on 2014 Bc I felt the same way, especially with the a&m game BUT that's what they are, hypotheticals. I agree on having elite level talent to an extent, but its hard to consider a team "elite" when we are reaching 9-10+ wins less than 50% of the time especially with the talent we have. Elite teams also perform well when people expect them to, not just when they're the underdogs. However, I will give u the fact that the 2014 team performed well with high expectations more than any team at AU in a while until the final stretch.

We always seem to do better in the underdog role, so there's that .

Ain't that the damn truth

Agree, but as I've always said, if AU ever is going to be considered "elite" we're going to have to be able to perform under high expectations.

Considered "elite" by whom?

What teams are considered elite in today's college football? And who considers those teams "elite"? Can a team be considered elite for only one year, or does eliteness (is that a word?) require a string of highly successful seasons?

I would consider "elite" 9 or more wins per season on a pretty consistent basis. Since the coaching change from Tubbs we've only had 9 or more wins twice in 7 seasons, those two seasons were seasons where we were heavy underdogs as said before.

During that same span

Alabama- 9+ wins 7 out of 7 seasons

LSU- 9+ wins 6 out of 7 seasons

UGA- 9+ wins 4 out of 7 seasons

FSU- 9+ wins 6 out of 7 seasons

My point is that AU is a top program in my mind but we do not perform well when we are picked high and we perform our best when we aren't even in the top 25. I'm saying as a big national brand we won't be considered as such until we start winning on a consistent basis and are a consistenly highly ranked team and that means winning when we're expected to be really good.

Great stuff

We are going to the playoffs.

Alright guys, for the good of the streak, I'm going back for grad school. Was there in '10 and '13 so I'm going back to fulfil the tri-year prophecy.

Please send all coupons for Ramen to the College of engineering

Maybe it's just me but I will take our national title and title game appearance along with our 2 SEC titles and let them have the more consistent 9 win seasons every day of the week. In that 7 years LSU has 1 SEC title and a National championship game appearance. UGA has 0 SEC titles and have not been to the national championship. We have a national championship, title game appearance, and 2 SEC titles. They might have more 9 win seasons, but I will take the hardware everyday of the week. This is just my opinion but I judge elite by championships. In the 7 years since Tubs left we have been second only to Alabama when you judge elite by the criteria that I view it. I agree that we definitely need to be more consistent, but if I had to choose consistent without the titles or inconsistent with the hardware I will choose the hardware everytime.

I'd prefer to be consistent AND have titles. Perception is 50% of recruiting. I'd love to have a big season AFTER an SEC title or national title at least once. When you do that you are pretty much guaranteeing yourself a top 5 recruiting class to come in the next year or year after that

We are going to the playoffs.

Alright guys, for the good of the streak, I'm going back for grad school. Was there in '10 and '13 so I'm going back to fulfil the tri-year prophecy.

Please send all coupons for Ramen to the College of engineering

This year brings two conflicting patterns: the three-year cycle vs. the four-year cycle. I hope the three-year cycle wins out.

Another pattern I've noticed for even years: when Auburn is doing well headed into an election (presidential and midterm), Republicans often win. When Auburn is doing bad headed into the election, Democrats often win. The most recent exception is 2006 (9-1).

Putting kidding aside, I think 2018 presents us with the next best overall opportunity for a championship--especially if we don't add any good OOC opponents.

My answer to the original question is, no. However I'll still be watching every game with the belief that we will win.

An elite team is one that considers a 9 win season as a given.

Depends on the conference. In the SEC I would agree. Mediocre in the ACC.

I think the SEC is what we were talking about.

I saw FSU listed so I added the ACC.

Ah gotcha. Yes, I would agree about the ACC.

When we win against Clemson with JFIII heads will be spinning on this board. Beating the #2 ranked team in the nation will be very enjoyable to open the season.

I think it is pretty much down to the most important position on the field because this team is solid in every other area.

We are anything but solid at WR.

Yes, we have the greatest class of Freshmen WRs in AU history coming in, but they're Freshmen.

If some of the Freshmen can't crack the rotation, expect more poor play from the current starters.

If so, Jovon Robinson will be the offense.

^No guarantees, but we've seen in recent years that WRs can start as true freshmen if they have the talent. I think one of them (most likely Davis) could start and do very well. The WRs and DL come 2018 could be SCARY (to our opponents ;))

Also, the OL, aside from right tackle at very least, should be solid. If we're going to be young on the OL next year, we'd better have a strong unit this year.

The trio of Smith, Stevens and Marcus Davis aren't bad. The corps in general will look a lot better with the newcomers, getting Truitt back healthy and the addition of finally using the TE's again.

Also, don't sleep on Darius Slayton and Ryan Davis either.

NCM is the one to watch on the WR side. Kyle Davis is someone who could see time and Stove is a small Marcus Davis imo. Marquis McClain won't see time this year but he has the most upside by far.

Hey Clayton, is Stove fast enough to be a deep threat? I feel that's a HUGE thing that was missing from our team that many don't talk about. From a qb and wr stand point I worry about taking the top off a defense, so it will open up everything else for us and we can see more big plays out of our running game.

The trio of Smith, Stevens and Marcus Davis aren't bad. The corps in general will look a lot better with the newcomers, getting Truitt back healthy and the addition of finally using the TE's again.

Also, don't sleep on Darius Slayton and Ryan Davis either.

Smith has great speed. Hands are suspect. Needs to be our primary "McCalebb/Grant" Speed Sweep guy.

Stevens makes the tough catches & drops the easy ones. A hair-puller.

Love Marcus Davis. Catches nearly everything. Great hustle. But yet to show he's dynamic. Only used as a possession receiver.

Unfortunately, that trio reminds me of what Cox had available to throw to in 2007...very average talent. And I'd take Rod Smith over any of them.

Hearing good things about Slayton. He and Ryan Davis need to step up.

Hey Clayton, is Stove fast enough to be a deep threat? I feel that's a HUGE thing that was missing from our team that many don't talk about. From a qb and wr stand point I worry about taking the top off a defense, so it will open up everything else for us and we can see more big plays out of our running game.

He's our future at slot for sure. He had a couple punt returns his senior year. Legit 4.4 40. http://www.hudl.com/v/UPDwi

You are right, but I think that obvious shortcoming got lost in the QB, Gus, and Lashlee bashfest that enveloped the board.

This season, at least early on, will be decided by our defense. This is still the SEC and the defense has to win the day. Will Muschamp is a great DC, but our defense constantly shot themselves in the foot by taking on the personality of Muschamp. Plenty of times our defense should have gotten off the field, only to get a personal foul that left us on the field for extra snaps. Many times our defense seemed to play over aggressive and undisciplined. This would make for some great plays, but would cause the defense to be inconsistent and unable to maintain an aggressive edge by the time the 4th quarter rolled around. This was mostly due to failed blitz attempts, just missing on QB hurries, or giving up large chunks of yards on 3rd and long.

I expect Kevin Steele to instill discipline. That will be the biggest difference. Late hits out of bounds, late hits after plays, and being out of position for the sake of being aggressive are things that have plagued our defense over the years and I think are of the past. I think Steele will bring the surprise factor to our blitz packages, which will be key. There is surprise in disguise. I believe we would telegraph our blitzes and Muschamp did not care if you knew it or not, he was arrogant enough to think because he dialed it up, it worked before and it will work again. Kevin will bring back the look of a blitz and have the offense wondering if it is real or perceived.

Kevin has the luxury of great depth in our Dline. That should free up our young LBs to make plays in space which in turn will help our DBs not have to chase recievers all over the field. Our defense has the ability to set the edge with players like Lawson, Cowart, Marlon Davidson, and Paul James III. My concern is the middle of our defense. Not in the trenches but right behind them at LB. This is a real concern and why our Dline and secondary(Trey Mathews and Rudy Ford) will have to play better than average until that group can grow into their full potential.

We will have to hide our QB behind that defense. And that is okay. Our defense and special teams will have to afford us that field position that will make it easier on the O until we build that confidence and identity that it takes to win a championship. But this is the SEC. With all do respect to our HC, the offensive guru, I hope he has learned that great offenses are great. We love his creativity and his uptempo style. We love this exciting brand of shifts, motions, and multiple formations. We love the change up of the wildcat QB and the unbalanced line. We see the potential of being the highest offensive output in the SEC. We love the fact we spread you out and power it down your throat with the run. All that is great, but by now Gus should know, if your defense does not set the tone all the other stuff is pointless.

The first four games are my biggest question marks. Bu mid season, some of our freshmen/RSF stars should mature enough to actually show case their talent. In the first four games they are going to be overwhelmed. The addition of Kam Martin is huge (for the OMAC role), but doubt he contributes much in the first three games. Same for Kyle Davis and Nate Craig Meyers.

I expect the defense to be as good as we have seen in Auburn for a very long time. Yes, the LBs are the biggest question mark, but the talent level is deep here. Unfortunately, the experience is not. Paul James IIII is a monster. Once he figures out things, look out! Tre Williams should be much improved and if Darryl Williams has the lights to come on, he will be solid. Behind them, things get a little murky.

The D-Line and the DBs should be solid. The D-Line is deep with massive talent all the way around. Hope "Smoke" can stay healthy this year as well as Holsey. Newcomers Marlon Davidson and Derrick Brown are going to grow into something special.

Before the acquisition of the latest 2016 newcomers, I though the biggest surprise might be Landon Rice, Brown and Davidson. Now, I think by mid-season the biggest overall game changing difference might be the latest to sign, namely Kam Martin. We need someone in the OMAC role and he might just fit that bill. Going to take a while for the lights to come on, but he has the ability to be OMAC special.

Will Muschamp is a great DC, but our defense constantly shot themselves in the foot by taking on the personality of Muschamp. Plenty of times our defense should have gotten off the field, only to get a personal foul that left us on the field for extra snaps.

I expect Kevin Steele to instill discipline. That will be the biggest difference. Late hits out of bounds, late hits after plays

The 2014 defense took the cake on late hits out-of-bounds. That took a dramatic decrease in 2015.

Archived