Will Auburn be the Dark Horse this year?

Johndunc

We are going to the playoffs.

And if u want to keep going back the 3 year period.

2007- 9-4 but 3 of those losses were by 6 points or less, only one bad loss and that was Uga.

2004- undefeated.

I'll stop there Bc 2001 wasn't great lol.

And we're not even gonna mention 98. Lol

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are going to the playoffs.

And if u want to keep going back the 3 year period.

2007- 9-4 but 3 of those losses were by 6 points or less, only one bad loss and that was Uga.

2004- undefeated.

I'll stop there Bc 2001 wasn't great lol.

Yeah, but topping #1 Florida (as well as beating Georgia at Georgia) was almost worth the miserable ending.

We always seem to do better in the underdog role, so there's that .

Ain't that the damn truth

Agree, but as I've always said, if AU ever is going to be considered "elite" we're going to have to be able to perform under high expectations.

Considered "elite" by whom?

What teams are considered elite in today's college football? And who considers those teams "elite"? Can a team be considered elite for only one year, or does eliteness (is that a word?) require a string of highly successful seasons?

Agree, but as I've always said, if AU ever is going to be considered "elite" we're going to have to be able to perform under high expectations.

What teams are considered elite in today's college football? And who considers those teams "elite"? Can a team be considered elite for only one year, or does eliteness (is that a word?) require a string of highly successful seasons?

I would consider "elite" 9 or more wins per season on a pretty consistent basis. Since the coaching change from Tubbs we've only had 9 or more wins twice in 7 seasons, those two seasons were seasons where we were heavy underdogs as said before.

During that same span

Alabama- 9+ wins 7 out of 7 seasons

LSU- 9+ wins 6 out of 7 seasons

UGA- 9+ wins 4 out of 7 seasons

FSU- 9+ wins 6 out of 7 seasons

My point is that AU is a top program in my mind but we do not perform well when we are picked high and we perform our best when we aren't even in the top 25. I'm saying as a big national brand we won't be considered as such until we start winning on a consistent basis and are a consistenly highly ranked team and that means winning when we're expected to be really good.

IMO the game 9/3/16 8 PM CT is big if we can pull this out this will mean we have a staff that is on the same page and the players have bought in. If we lose this game but we are competitive and have a chance to win in 4th we can have a great year. If we get blown away all bets are off..

I would consider "elite" 9 or more wins per season on a pretty consistent basis. Since the coaching change from Tubbs we've only had 9 or more wins twice in 7 seasons, those two seasons were seasons where we were heavy underdogs as said before.

During that same span

My point is that AU is a top program in my mind but we do not perform well when we are picked high and we perform our best when we aren't even in the top 25. I'm saying as a big national brand we won't be considered as such until we start winning on a consistent basis and are a consistenly highly ranked team and that means winning when we're expected to be really good.

Pretty hard to argue with this, if you ask me.

An elite team is one that considers a 9 win season as a given.

Depends on the conference. In the SEC I would agree. Mediocre in the ACC.

I think the SEC is what we were talking about.

Auburn a dark horse? Uh .... Yes, a dark horse, A very, very, very dark horse. Below the radar of everyone everywhere. Sonar too. Deep dark.

If JF3 starts, AU wins no less than 9 games, and here's why I say that: He would have had to beat out 2 players who were already in the system (albeit, those 2 didn't exactly shock the world), but for a JUCO QB who was virtually unknown this time last year to do that speaks volumes to his capability to handle the offense.

MSU, Arkansas and even Ole Miss are beatable. LSU will be tough but Les refuses to play modern football (points are a premium and AU can score with the right QB). Bama will be tough to beat, but look how close the Iron Bowl was last year...

Don't count yourselves out based on last year. There is talent on this team and Gus can win with talent.

An elite team is one that considers a 9 win season as a given.

Depends on the conference. In the SEC I would agree. Mediocre in the ACC.

I think the SEC is what we were talking about.

I saw FSU listed so I added the ACC.

I think it is pretty much down to the most important position on the field because this team is solid in every other area. Find an effective QB and they have a chance to win the SEC and get to the playoff. If the QB play is the same as last year they will be fighting to get bowl eligible. It ain't hard to figure out.

Still plenty of question marks for this AU team besides the QB. The OL has plenty of questions. WR's are a huge question. TE. And the D should be good but I'm still going to take a wait and see approach with this D. The talent is there. Just see if everything meshes.

During that same span

No it isn't. Elite teams don't ever finish at the bottom of their division. EVER. 9 wins? Ok. But IMO elite teams win 10 back to back on a consistent basis. And elite teams preform at elite levels even when the expectations are high. And elite teams don't win 6 regular season games. AU has been good but no where near elite.

Schedule. After Clemson, TAMU and LSU in three of the first 4 games, I think we'll already have a good idea of how the season will go.

No kidding. I would like to see another team that plays 2 of the top 5 teams in the first four weeks. We could make a HUGE statement by winning one (or both hahaha) top 5 match-ups. Confidence would be huge after this... Or course lose both and this season can go south in a hurry.

If JF3 starts, AU wins no less than 9 games, and here's why I say that: He would have had to beat out 2 players who were already in the system (albeit, those 2 didn't exactly shock the world), but for a JUCO QB who was virtually unknown this time last year to do that speaks volumes to his capability to handle the offense.

MSU, Arkansas and even Ole Miss are beatable. LSU will be tough but Les refuses to play modern football (points are a premium and AU can score with the right QB). Bama will be tough to beat, but look how close the Iron Bowl was last year...

Don't count yourselves out based on last year. There is talent on this team and Gus can win with talent.

Lots of talent on the 2015 AU team.

Schedule. After Clemson, TAMU and LSU in three of the first 4 games, I think we'll already have a good idea of how the season will go.

No kidding. I would like to see another team that plays 2 of the top 5 teams in the first four weeks. We could make a HUGE statement by winning one (or both hahaha) top 5 match-ups. Confidence would be huge after this... Or course lose both and this season can go south in a hurry.

Yep. Will know in the first 4 weeks. And we will either be ecstatic and heart broken. I think it goes one way or the other.

Nobody saw Jeremy Johnson folding. That will affect any team.

Nobody saw Jeremy Johnson folding. That will affect any team.

That is why you always have a plan B. Gus didn't. Why does Gus get a pass for this?

If we can beat clemson and get confidence coming out of the gate then watch out. Even if we lose to clemson, if we can come out of the first 4 games 3-1 with a win over LSU I think we could be in store for a big year. Imo everything hinges on how well our qb plays. I have seen alot of people compare JF3 to NM which to me is absurd at this point. NM was a stud and the best qb and probably player in the SEC in 2013 and 14 imo. If we can get the same type of production we had in 2013 and 14 from NM out of the qb position we will win the SEC and play for it all. That is a very big if though. I do know JF3 is working his butt off this summer trying to be the best qb he can be. Nobody can predict how much he will improve. I know the coaches expect him to start. To answer the question yes we definitely have the talent to be a dark horse and win the SEC this year.

During that same span

No it isn't. Elite teams don't ever finish at the bottom of their division. EVER. 9 wins? Ok. But IMO elite teams win 10 back to back on a consistent basis. And elite teams preform at elite levels even when the expectations are high. And elite teams don't win 6 regular season games. AU has been good but no where near elite.

I think we're on the same page WDE. I think u misinterpreted my post. I believe AU is a top 10-20 program but not elite. Pretty much everything u said in your post was either in my post or I agree with.

We have elite talent that is for sure. We won the title in 2010 and played for it in 2013 with two SEC titles. I'm not sure what you consider elite but I can't think of another team besides Bama and Ohio state that can say the same things in the past 6 years. Like I said we are a qb away from the title atm. Can JF3 be that guy we shall see. I don't believe we can win a title with SW. I am not saying SW is not a good football player because he is, he is just not the type of player we need to be able to win a title at qb. IMO our ceiling with SW is 10 wins including bowl, with JF3 our ceiling is a SEC title and title contender. Again that is just my opinion.

We have elite talent that is for sure. We won the title in 2010 and played for it in 2013 with two SEC titles. I'm not sure what you consider elite but I can't think of another team besides Bama and Ohio state that can say the same things in the past 6 years. Like I said we are a qb away from the title atm. Can JF3 be that guy we shall see. I don't believe we can win a title with SW. I am not saying SW is not a good football player because he is, he is just not the type of player we need to be able to win a title at qb. IMO our ceiling with SW is 10 wins including bowl, with JF3 our ceiling is a SEC title and title contender. Again that is just my opinion.

I don't consider a team elite that's not consistent in 9-10+ win seasons on a regular basis as I said earlier. Having 2 NC game seasons and winning 8 or less 5 seasons out of the last 7 since tubbs left is not consistent. Neither is 8-5 14-0 8-5 5-7 12-2 8-5 7-6, that just doesn't tell me "elite" imho, that shows me a team that is consistently "good" but not "great". Winning 8 games or less on a consistent basis is not "elite" in my opinion.

Again, that is only MY opinion

Archived