Roc Thomas has left AU (It's official this time)

ellitor

No, Cole, we don't need Roc Thomas. We just don't.

Just about everybody here wishes he was staying. Even his most ardent detractors have said that they (we?) would prefer that he stays. We want Roc Thomas. And, yeah, we need guys like Roc Thomas. We need guys who are capable of making plays every now and then. We need all kinds of guys. But losing Roc Thomas's production is probably not going to cost this team a championship.

Now, there have been times when we did need him. We needed him to catch that ball in the 2014 Iron Bowl. We needed him to be a serious contributor at RB last year, when Jovon couldn't keep himself on the field and Barber was trying to run up his OLs' backs instead of looking for a crease. But, for the most part, he hasn't been there when we needed him.

USC needed Reggie Bush. Oregon needed DeAnthony Thomas. But Roc isn't one of those guys. He might be Dexter McCluster, who Ole Miss definitely needed, but we're not mid-Aughts Ole Miss and Dexter McCluster didn't choose to leave Oxford in the middle of his career.

By the way, I was arguing with somebody in the fall on Roc's behalf. When they were saying he couldn't be an every down back, I was saying that maybe he could, and that he was starting to embrace contact. I was saying that I thought he could be a really good football player for Auburn. So no, I'm not suddenly pretending that he's garbage. I don't think anybody is. It's just that losing "could be" isn't worth losing sleep over for some of us.

You just nailed it.

wde

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have an idea who is going to be the speed sweep/scat back guy in our offense?? Stanton Truitt? Jason Smith? Ryan Davis? WE NEED A HOMERUN HITTER!

Does anyone have an idea who is going to be the speed sweep/scat back guy in our offense?? Stanton Truitt? Jason Smith? Ryan Davis? WE NEED A HOMERUN HITTER!

My money is on Stanton Truitt unless JFIII moves over, which would be my preference IF we have sufficient depth at QB to allow him to do so.

Dangit, Shocks, sorry man. That was totally redundant redundancy on my part.

We didn't need him. We actually don't need anybody on this team

point?

I believe the point is that Cole believes there is insuffucuent weeping and moaning over the 4th string RB leaving the team to play in the minor leagues.

i am actually bummed about it. i wish i didn't think we needed him. he was my pick for a "breakout offensive player" this year as a hybrid rb/slot guy and i also still had faith he could be the RB1. so i am envious of the ones who don't see the loss, as opposed to insulting them for having a positive outlook for the rest of our team. It was his second sentence that drives the question of his point.

Envious? Why not just shut up if you don't know what you are talking about? What happened to that. Insulting who? What soap opera do you watch that can make that an insult? You're too sensitive for football

i know exactly what I am talking about. I am not here to argue with a large part of the board with snide sarcasm that I won't explain. I guess I just have a habitual tendency to argue with what I predict other people's opinions to be? Yes I guess I'm so immature I need to shut up.

McLoofus, I'm glad you brought up Dexter McCluster. He was someone who should have taught me never to doubt a player's ability to carry he load between the tackles based upon his size and my perception of his skill set.

He carried the ball 25 times for 278 yards and 4 TDS that day. Absolutely electric.

Just about everybody here wishes he was staying. Even his most ardent detractors have said that they (we?) would prefer that he stays. We want Roc Thomas. And, yeah, we need guys like Roc Thomas. We need guys who are capable of making plays every now and then. We need all kinds of guys. But losing Roc Thomas's production is probably not going to cost this team a championship.

Now, there have been times when we did need him. We needed him to catch that ball in the 2014 Iron Bowl. We needed him to be a serious contributor at RB last year, when Jovon couldn't keep himself on the field and Barber was trying to run up his OLs' backs instead of looking for a crease. But, for the most part, he hasn't been there when we needed him.

USC needed Reggie Bush. Oregon needed DeAnthony Thomas. But Roc isn't one of those guys. He might be Dexter McCluster, who Ole Miss definitely needed, but we're not mid-Aughts Ole Miss and Dexter McCluster didn't choose to leave Oxford in the middle of his career.

By the way, I was arguing with somebody in the fall on Roc's behalf. When they were saying he couldn't be an every down back, I was saying that maybe he could, and that he was starting to embrace contact. I was saying that I thought he could be a really good football player for Auburn. So no, I'm not suddenly pretending that he's garbage. I don't think anybody is. It's just that losing "could be" isn't worth losing sleep over for some of us.

$$$$$$$

McCluster owned us one year, too, IIRC. Sometimes those smaller guys seem to handle contact better, maybe because they're not contributing as much mass to the collision- he kinda bounces right off a would-be tackler in that clip- and they can also avoid contact by changing direction more quickly and fitting into smaller spaces. Roc seems to have that kind of ability, but for whatever reason it just hasn't translated for the good guys.

McCluster owned us one year, too, IIRC. Sometimes those smaller guys seem to handle contact better, maybe because they're not contributing as much mass to the collision- he kinda bounces right off a would-be tackler in that clip- and they can also avoid contact by changing direction more quickly and fitting into smaller spaces. Roc seems to have that kind of ability, but for whatever reason it just hasn't translated for the good guys.

Yeah, he had flashes, thats for sure. And I was thinking about KJ, and how I should be more open minded. I forget that he's only about to be a true sophomore.

Considering the subject and how threads tend to go, this one seems pretty tame to me. :dunno:

Barnacle, I'm not saying that Kerryon can be Tre Mason, but he's already ahead of where Tre was as a true freshman. Granted, Tre wasn't an every down back until he was a junior and I agree that we need somebody behind Jovon to be ready right now, but... well, I guess I just really want to be optimistic about this for some reason.

Considering the subject and how threads tend to go, this one seems pretty tame to me. :dunno:

Barnacle, I'm not saying that Kerryon can be Tre Mason, but he's already ahead of where Tre was as a true freshman. Granted, Tre wasn't an every down back until he was a junior and I agree that we need somebody behind Jovon to be ready right now, but... well, I guess I just really want to be optimistic about this for some reason.

i saw some of Tre in Roc possibly. Tre went between tackles by vision and COG. Kerryon is still so young i am not sure what development his body would take. he is taller and longer than Tre. Gus compared him to Darren Mcfadden. My point is i think Kerryon will look different as a Jr, Sr, maybe So, than he did last year. But you are correct Tre did not appear to be a workhorse as a freshman. 1800yds later.....

I'm a big Kerryon fan. I think he is going to be a beast when it's all said and done. I think by the time he's a junior/senior he could be very effective for us as a lead back. But I've been wrong a million and one times before so....umm just keep scrolling I guess?

Nice to see common sense out of somebody on this thread.

I hate to see talent leaving AU for whatever reason. Specially when it could have been put to use. I wish the young man much success.

Devan Barrett, as well as maybe another JUCO RB, is absolutely critical for the next class. (At least one of him or MM is an every down back, right?) I assume Kerryon is ready to go by August?

It will all work out auwent you really need to take some drugs or drink a lot of beer or both

:beer2:

point?

I believe the point is that Cole believes there is insuffucuent weeping and moaning over the 4th string RB leaving the team to play in the minor leagues.

i am actually bummed about it. i wish i didn't think we needed him. he was my pick for a "breakout offensive player" this year as a hybrid rb/slot guy and i also still had faith he could be the RB1. so i am envious of the ones who don't see the loss, as opposed to insulting them for having a positive outlook for the rest of our team. It was his second sentence that drives the question of his point.

Envious? Why not just shut up if you don't know what you are talking about? What happened to that. Insulting who? What soap opera do you watch that can make that an insult? You're too sensitive for football

i know exactly what I am talking about. I am not here to argue with a large part of the board with snide sarcasm that I won't explain. I guess I just have a habitual tendency to argue with what I predict other people's opinions to be? Yes I guess I'm so immature I need to shut up.

Well cool. We agree more just don't talk to me because your grand standing is old

All that is cool. Great post. But all I said is we don't need him and we don't need anybody. I said we don't need him because I know everybody would be saying that. (Did I lie?) And I said we don't need anybody because the reason I was able to predict what would be said is because that's what is ALWAYS said when somebody leaves. Now if that upset so many because you or they say that, well what can I say? It's just how it is

point?

I always read Cole's posts and imagine that he's hammered drunk. That helps explain the ridiculous things he says. And the typos.

People disagree, people argue. But IMO the most pathetic thing on a forum is someone like you that take stuff so personal that because we disagreed one time probably a couple of months ago you're still in your feelings and you have to hold a grudge about it.

But yeah ok, I just say the most ridiculous things huh? LOL! I bet your posts are just fountains of knowledge right? And no I don't drink, and typos are from this Swype keyboard changing words from my phone, they aren't even typos...But keep on rocking you genius you....

I wish Roc the best at JSU. Hate to lose him, as now this team is one injury away (Robinson) from having any proven RB talent this Fall, especially in the power game.

I wish Roc the best at JSU. Hate to lose him, as now this team is one injury away (Robinson) from having any proven RB talent this Fall, especially in the power game.

We were in the same boat before Roc left. He was not proven RB talent, especially in the power game. Every time he was given an opportunity at RB he'd try that Jr. high spin move and get crushed. What he had proved was he needed to play somewhere else. The coaches put him in the slot position which should have given him a clear path to the NFL but that wasn't good enough for him, so good luck at Jax St.

Our RB depth is exactly the same as it was before Roc left, he wasn't a RB.

Is Otis Mounds available? Clifton Robinson?

Mounds is in the student section flirting with the coeds, but maybe.

Bo's on the sidelines, and he still looks fit to run...

Archived