Roc Thomas has left AU (It's official this time)

ellitor

1. ellitor, the under a Roc joke was solid gold

2. I think a lot of folks are going to be pleasantly surprised by KJ. I dont think he's getting enough love for what he showed as a true freshman on a dysfunctional, inexperienced offense last year.

I feel like I may fall into that category. At no point do I want to take away from KJ. He was as good a freshman as I can remember. The guy possesses an incredible feel for the game to be so young, and his athletic ability is evident. That being said, I don't think he's someone who we would want to be an every down guy, and my concern is for that role. He will be as influential in his role to the offense as any other player on the field though.

I hear you. I think he can carry a significant workload between the tackles, but I understand folks like yourself who are skeptical.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KJ, at the very least, made the wildcat effective for the first time time in a very long time.

That's a good point, and that role asks him to run in between. I'd be floored if he developed into the every down guy y'all see in him. Considering the rest of his skill set, he would be a very, very complete back.

After the close call last season and a 5* transfer heading their way all of the JSU/Bammers that I know are just eating this up. I already have 5 text saying AU would not want to play JSU this season.

You need new friends.

Could be family or work place associates. Don't know about y'all but I'm surrounded by more Bammers than Auburn fans.

Lol. You take this internetting stuff way too serious.

You bring your information to the Internet for free. Say what?

And?

Pot meets Kettle....

Might want to explain that to the kettle and the rest of us pots as your meaning is unclear.

He relishes in his title as the board pseudo-insider but yet he has the gall to say that I take the Internet too seriously. That's laughable.

W/ all do respect you do appear to take things as what comes across overly serious sometimes just as I do. A number of posters have noticed & commented on it. There's nothing wrong with taking things very serious. Just realize that when you appear to be too serious people will point it out or jab a bit on it.

The conversation wasn't about me. I thought the conversation was one step below serious and one above light hearted when I replied. I only have one setting.

I realize he is 3 on depth chart. I still considered him a strong 2 and could have been a serious threat from multiple positions the next two years. I will now focus on the players we still have with are even more unproven and not as talented as Roc. This is no one's fault, it just is what it is.

He was 1B..according the crap we've been fed by the offensive staff

I realize he is 3 on depth chart. I still considered him a strong 2 and could have been a serious threat from multiple positions the next two years. I will now focus on the players we still have with are even more unproven and not as talented as Roc. This is no one's fault, it just is what it is.

He was 1B..according the crap we've been fed by the offensive staff

Did they say that during Spring? I don't recall. The coaching staff had a plan(slot receiver, as stated as nauseum by those in the know around here), and Roc didn't want to be a part of that plan(obviously)

We didn't need him. We actually don't need anybody on this team

point?

Sarcasm?

point?

I believe the point is that Cole believes there is insuffucuent weeping and moaning over the 4th string RB leaving the team to play in the minor leagues.

point?

Sarcasm?

it's beyond sarcasm.

point?

I believe the point is that Cole believes there is insuffucuent weeping and moaning over the 4th string RB leaving the team to play in the minor leagues.

i am actually bummed about it. i wish i didn't think we needed him. he was my pick for a "breakout offensive player" this year as a hybrid rb/slot guy and i also still had faith he could be the RB1. so i am envious of the ones who don't see the loss, as opposed to insulting them for having a positive outlook for the rest of our team. It was his second sentence that drives the question of his point.

I see it as a loss, but not an insurmountable loss. Roc was a slot receiver when he decided to leave AU, not a RB. We have many playing slot that have similar skill sets. I think Roc could've been dynamic at his new position, but to lament on his leaving because of RB depth is just misguided.

Wasn't going to get many true RB carries. I feel like we'll be fine at RB honestly. I feel like Pettway and Malik can assist with the load when needed. JR, KJ and then Pettway and Malik.

As for the slot, I'm really hoping that Sean takes care of business, Queen gets healthy and Woody comes in strong enough to allow Franklin to get some reps there.

So you believe Franklin will already have locked the starting QB job in time enough to also practice slot? I thought he was good, but THAT good? Whew

I see it as a loss, but not an insurmountable loss. Roc was a slot receiver when he decided to leave AU, not a RB. We have many playing slot that have similar skill sets. I think Roc could've been dynamic at his new position, but to lament on his leaving because of RB depth is just misguided.

That's just actually an opinion that of course could never be proven right or wrong

point?

i am actually bummed about it. i wish i didn't think we needed him. he was my pick for a "breakout offensive player" this year as a hybrid rb/slot guy and i also still had faith he could be the RB1. so i am envious of the ones who don't see the loss, as opposed to insulting them for having a positive outlook for the rest of our team. It was his second sentence that drives the question of his point.

Envious? Why not just shut up if you don't know what you are talking about? What happened to that. Insulting who? What soap opera do you watch that can make that an insult? You're too sensitive for football

point?

He was 4th string on your make believe team where sw is an all American and lashlee is the coach of the year? Ok. In real life you don't know where he was on the depth chart

point?

Envious? Why not just shut up if you don't know what you are talking about? What happened to that. Insulting who? What soap opera do you watch that can make that an insult? You're too sensitive for football

I always read Cole's posts and imagine that he's hammered drunk. That helps explain the ridiculous things he says. And the typos.

point?

He was 4th string on your make believe team where sw is an all American and lashlee is the coach of the year? Ok. In real life you don't know where he was on the depth chart

He was likely 3rd string at RB, and looking at more carries/game this season from the HB position to boot, and Malik Miller starting to come on strong. So, maybe Roc would have gotten 5-10 carries/game if that much just heading into the season, and some of that would be on jet sweeps.

Most of us would love to have Roc stick around. He could be a very dangerous weapon on the perimeter. However, we have some guys with speed to fill that role after he leaves.

In real life, we have a pretty good idea, right? He was a change of pace back that was going to stay on the field most of the time but not necessarily in the backfield. We know that when both Roc and Kerryon were available, Kerryon was getting more carries. We know that Roc was used primarily in the slot and out of the backfield as a receiver this spring. We know that Jovon Robinson was the starting RB coming into and out of spring ball. All of that is true "in real life."

Now, fourth string? No. I don't know that. I didn't see any evidence or hear any definitive word that Malik Miller was ahead of him on the RB depth chart. We likely won't ever know that because they never existed in a world without Jovon and Kerryon on the top of that board. Who knows what would've been the decision if the competition were limited to only those two guys?

I also don't get the hand-wringing over Roc. Talented dude that made a call that he thought was best for him. Good luck to him. Still, he's been on the Plains for two years with 80 carries and 440 yards in two years. We can certainly replace that production. That cannot be the concern. When the RB job was on the line, he was beaten out by Peyton Barber and Jovon Robinson. As a pass catcher, he showed signs of being special. As a runner, he was alternatingly impatient with his blocking and too passive, unwilling to take a 4-yard gain while looking to hit a home run. I hope he turns it around at JSU and finds his groove, but that was unlikely to happen at Auburn as a primary RB.

Depth-wise, a team rarely has to rely on its third-string RB as a starter. It certainly happens from time to time, but we have much bigger question marks than Roc's availability as a RB. That's not going to make or break any part of this season. Moving forward, it puts a lot of pressure on Kerryon Johnson and this current recruiting class. We'll need both numbers and guys capable of providing quality carries early in their career.

In real life, we have a pretty good idea, right? He was a change of pace back that was going to stay on the field most of the time but not necessarily in the backfield. We know that when both Roc and Kerryon were available, Kerryon was getting more carries. We know that Roc was used primarily in the slot and out of the backfield as a receiver this spring. We know that Jovon Robinson was the starting RB coming into and out of spring ball. All of that is true "in real life."

Now, fourth string? No. I don't know that. I didn't see any evidence or hear any definitive word that Malik Miller was ahead of him on the RB depth chart. We likely won't ever know that because they never existed in a world without Jovon and Kerryon on the top of that board. Who knows what would've been the decision if the competition were limited to only those two guys?

I also don't get the hand-wringing over Roc. Talented dude that made a call that he thought was best for him. Good luck to him. Still, he's been on the Plains for two years with 80 carries and 440 yards in two years. We can certainly replace that production. That cannot be the concern. When the RB job was on the line, he was beaten out by Peyton Barber and Jovon Robinson. As a pass catcher, he showed signs of being special. As a runner, he was alternatingly impatient with his blocking and too passive, unwilling to take a 4-yard gain while looking to hit a home run. I hope he turns it around at JSU and finds his groove, but that was unlikely to happen at Auburn as a primary RB.

Depth-wise, a team rarely has to rely on its third-string RB as a starter. It certainly happens from time to time, but we have much bigger question marks than Roc's availability as a RB. That's not going to make or break any part of this season. Moving forward, it puts a lot of pressure on Kerryon Johnson and this current recruiting class. We'll need both numbers and guys capable of providing quality carries early in their career.

[/Thread]

That's just actually an opinion that of course could never be proven right or wrong

Which part?

Which part?

I'm guessing all of it but it's only an opinion

Though I hate to see Roc, I'm glad he's getting the chance to play for Jacksonville State and play for a national championship.

No, Cole, we don't need Roc Thomas. We just don't.

Just about everybody here wishes he was staying. Even his most ardent detractors have said that they (we?) would prefer that he stays. We want Roc Thomas. And, yeah, we need guys like Roc Thomas. We need guys who are capable of making plays every now and then. We need all kinds of guys. But losing Roc Thomas's production is probably not going to cost this team a championship.

Now, there have been times when we did need him. We needed him to catch that ball in the 2014 Iron Bowl. We needed him to be a serious contributor at RB last year, when Jovon couldn't keep himself on the field and Barber was trying to run up his OLs' backs instead of looking for a crease. But, for the most part, he hasn't been there when we needed him.

USC needed Reggie Bush. Oregon needed DeAnthony Thomas. But Roc isn't one of those guys. He might be Dexter McCluster, who Ole Miss definitely needed, but we're not mid-Aughts Ole Miss and Dexter McCluster didn't choose to leave Oxford in the middle of his career.

By the way, I was arguing with somebody in the fall on Roc's behalf. When they were saying he couldn't be an every down back, I was saying that maybe he could, and that he was starting to embrace contact. I was saying that I thought he could be a really good football player for Auburn. So no, I'm not suddenly pretending that he's garbage. I don't think anybody is. It's just that losing "could be" isn't worth losing sleep over for some of us.

Archived