Roc Thomas has left AU (It's official this time)

ellitor

For me, this is not about ROC, it's about stability or the lack there of at AU since Gus has been the HC. They say players take on the HC personality, well it seems with all the staff turnover the kids are following suite. I have never seen so many leave the program. When will this end?

When will this end? Never. I have been following this attrition situation since Shug was our head coach. Normal number of kids dropping out is between 7 and 11 every year. 12 or 13 doesn't get into the "abnormal" range. Roc is the 13th to leave this year.

I start counting a "year" on August 1st and end it on July 31. It's very normal for a few to leave after the end of the Spring term. They've gone through spring practice and have failed to move up the depth chart so they move on to a smaller pond where they can be a bigger fish.

This is not an unusual situation, it's very normal and common and I would expect it to continue as long as college football as we know it is being played.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the close call last season and a 5* transfer heading their way all of the JSU/Bammers that I know are just eating this up. I already have 5 text saying AU would not want to play JSU this season.

You need new friends.

Could be family or work place associates. Don't know about y'all but I'm surrounded by more Bammers than Auburn fans.

Me too, but they don't have my number nor are we friends on FB.

Your family doesn't have your number? That's odd...

My family that would actually need to get in touch with me aren't bammers.

When I said "surrounded by bammers," being in touch with Bammers was at the very least implied.

I'm surrounded by walls but I do everything I can to stay out of touch with them.

LMAO. If all bammers were deaf objects, I guess alll bammers would be easier to be around. Most of my family are bammers though and I have to keep in touch with them.

For me, this is not about ROC, it's about stability or the lack there of at AU since Gus has been the HC. They say players take on the HC personality, well it seems with all the staff turnover the kids are following suite. I have never seen so many leave the program. When will this end?

When will this end? Never. I have been following this attrition situation since Shug was our head coach. Normal number of kids dropping out is between 7 and 11 every year. 12 or 13 doesn't get into the "abnormal" range. Roc is the 13th to leave this year.

I start counting a "year" on August 1st and end it on July 31. It's very normal for a few to leave after the end of the Spring term. They've gone through spring practice and have failed to move up the depth chart so they move on to a smaller pond where they can be a bigger fish.

This is not an unusual situation, it's very normal and common and I would expect it to continue as long as college football as we know it is being played.

But that doesn't fit the narrative they've created.

i am not going to get involved in RB depth issues. I was happy when he signed with Auburn and I wish he would have stayed it might hurt us or next man might make it a no-issue. I understand he wants to be an every down back and that might never happen at Auburn. I personally think the slot role was abetter role for him but I do undertand why he wants to leave. I wish him luck he is a fine young man who helped Auburn recruit once he decided to commit to us.

If Roc or any other recruit wants to leave Auburn; then I say, "Do not let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.." only Auburn men should have the honor of wearing the orange and navy blue.

If Roc or any other recruit wants to leave Auburn; then I say, "Do not let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.." only Auburn men should have the honor of wearing the orange and navy blue.

Even if they believe they have a better chance for their future elsewhere(which appears to be Roc's reasoning)?

Even if they believe they have a better chance for their future elsewhere(which appears to be Roc's reasoning)?

For the record I do not think Roc's reasoning makes sense but that's only my opinion.

I'm just glad this saga is over and everyone can move on- although I'm sure a few of you will still find a way to argue with each other about meaningless issues anyways. :)

For the record I do not think Roc's reasoning makes sense but that's only my opinion.

I agree and apparently the coaches did too. But it just seemed like an ignorant and unnecessary remark. Guy wants to be "the" RB[somewhere], let him go. He's not leaving on bad terms.

:popcorn:/> :popcorn:/>

This Roc stuff has really affected the masses. Hoping time will also heal this wound.

Im like many, I hate that we lose that type of playmaker in slot, etc. I hate losing the potential of a 50 yard TD from roc out of the slot that could be a difference in a ball game and if SW is the starter he could've really helped him, but it is what it is.

All of this discontent has been set up by potential. I can't recall Roc having enough positive influences in games to offset the negative. That to me equals no big deal.

A 5* with talent makes the team and impacts the team on day 1. He didn't do that.

Devan Barrett, as well as maybe another JUCO RB, is absolutely critical for the next class. (At least one of him or MM is an every down back, right?) I assume Kerryon is ready to go by August?

Devan Barrett, as well as maybe another JUCO RB, is absolutely critical for the next class. (At least one of him or MM is an every down back, right?) I assume Kerryon is ready to go by August?

It will all work out auwent you really need to take some drugs or drink a lot of beer or both

This Roc stuff has really affected the masses. Hoping time will also heal this wound.

Im like many, I hate that we lose that type of playmaker in slot, etc. I hate losing the potential of a 50 yard TD from roc out of the slot that could be a difference in a ball game and if SW is the starter he could've really helped him, but it is what it is.

All of this discontent has been set up by potential. I can't recall Roc having enough positive influences in games to offset the negative. That to me equals no big deal.

A 5* with talent makes the team and impacts the team on day 1. He didn't do that.

I rather have the potential than lose it, especially when we have roster spots and it's honestly not a great decision for Roc's future at the next level. He would be used like. DeAnthony Thomas at the next level. Whoever our qb is needs all the weapons he can get.

It will all work out auwent you really need to take some drugs or drink a lot of beer or both

Or stop...

It's only May...

For a few more hours.

What I love most about these threads....it clarifies who has a clue and who is clueless.

And it's usually the same clueless people that post in EVERY THREAD! If push comes to shove, Rudy Ford is a very good 5th option!

What I love most about these threads....it clarifies who has a clue and who is clueless.

And it's usually the same clueless people that post in EVERY THREAD! If push comes to shove, Rudy Ford is a very good 5th option!

We are going to have a deficient RB group if Jovon ever gets hurt, putting Ford in at RB a few plays will provide some help and much needed speed too.

Stanton Truitt and Marcus Davis will be just fine in the slot and running jet sweeps. We'll miss Roc's speed as a change of pace to Jovon though.

1. ellitor, the under a Roc joke was solid gold

2. I think a lot of folks are going to be pleasantly surprised by KJ. I dont think he's getting enough love for what he showed as a true freshman on a dysfunctional, inexperienced offense last year.

2. I think a lot of folks are going to be pleasantly surprised by KJ. I dont think he's getting enough love for what he showed as a true freshman on a dysfunctional, inexperienced offense last year.

I agree on KJ but I will miss Roc as a threat in the passing game

I feel like I may fall into that category. At no point do I want to take away from KJ. He was as good a freshman as I can remember. The guy possesses an incredible feel for the game to be so young, and his athletic ability is evident. That being said, I don't think he's someone who we would want to be an every down guy, and my concern is for that role. He will be as influential in his role to the offense as any other player on the field though.

Roc had a lot of talent as a slash back/slot receiver, but it opens up more opportunity for Jason Smith and Marcus Davis as quick WRs with the ability to move the chains. Also, it likely assures both Kyle Davis and NCM that they are going to play. If you don't have a RB/Slot player, you can adjust by using big-bodied WRs as outlets. The Pats use both, but for most teams, it's an either/or deal. We're not going to pass less without Roc, which means more opportunity for other dudes.

I do think Kerryon is a natural every down back so I'm on the opposite side of the fence as Barnacle on that point. I felt like we were forcing the ball into KJ's hands by using him as a receiver and a wildcat QB and all that other stuff. Basically, we had overlap (with Peyton, Jovon, and Kerryon), and he was the most versatile of the three so he was used that way. I don't think that's his best skill. He looked like a RB doing what was asked of him. I'm excited to see him get a few more "traditional" touches, which was happening with or without Roc's transfer.

Archived