Roc Thomas has left AU (It's official this time)

ellitor

We'll just have to see how it works out but if we have a few injuries at RB it could get interesting. Like we all know Roc was not going to get many touches from RB position anyway.

Well, and that's probably what is being conflated here. Roc wasn't going to get many touches at RB. However, if JR were to get hurt and Roc stayed, I'm assuming that he would be a part of the committee of running backs to get touches afterward, which has been my point. We have a true RB1 and then we have KJ, who is not a JR or a CAP or a Tre Mason (he's not an every down back), and then we have RB2 by committee.

I mean, that's great that he played RB in high school. However, that's also really typical of full backs, and he was recruited as a FB for a reason. I'm not saying that he can't carry the rock, or handle the load if need be. He looked great during the spring game. I'm stating what should be obvious to everyone, which is if JR gets hurt, we don't have a proven commodity at the RB position. Whether or not that is cause for alarm, I'm not sure, but its not conjecture. I'd feel more comfortable if we had an RB2 who had SEC experience playing the role JR will play. It is what it is. If JR gets hurt, then a number of backs will need to step it up. Roc would be another guy to help carry that load. How that's an unreasonable opinion or thought, I have no idea.

Just a point of clarification for the board. AU did not recruit Kam at all as a FB. Was solely recruited as a TB all the way. The staff did not even consider trying him at FB til right after his freshman season ended. Also I think Kam has real big back quality speed plus faster, quicker, & more wiggles than Malik IMO.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'm glad you made that clear. However, my point is still this: if JR gets hurt, we don't have a proven commodity at that position. Say what you want about KJ - he reps the 256 and I love the guy - but he isn't an every down type back. After JR, we've got RB by committee. I think its likely that Roc would have at least shared in some of those carries. Maybe not.

I have this opinion as well... Every bit of it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the close call last season and a 5* transfer heading their way all of the JSU/Bammers that I know are just eating this up. I already have 5 text saying AU would not want to play JSU this season.

You need new friends.

Could be family or work place associates. Don't know about y'all but I'm surrounded by more Bammers than Auburn fans.

Lol. You take this internetting stuff way too serious.

You bring your information to the Internet for free. Say what?

For me, this is not about ROC, it's about stability or the lack there of at AU since Gus has been the HC. They say players take on the HC personality, well it seems with all the staff turnover the kids are following suite. I have never seen so many leave the program. When will this end?

uat goes threw 10x the players AU does. Hell add up the players who left uat and then add up all of the players to leave the other SEC schools and uat beats them all combined.

After the close call last season and a 5* transfer heading their way all of the JSU/Bammers that I know are just eating this up. I already have 5 text saying AU would not want to play JSU this season.

You need new friends.

Could be family or work place associates. Don't know about y'all but I'm surrounded by more Bammers than Auburn fans.

And?

We'll just have to see how it works out but if we have a few injuries at RB it could get interesting. Like we all know Roc was not going to get many touches from RB position anyway.

Well, and that's probably what is being conflated here. Roc wasn't going to get many touches at RB. However, if JR were to get hurt and Roc stayed, I'm assuming that he would be a part of the committee of running backs to get touches afterward, which has been my point. We have a true RB1 and then we have KJ, who is not a JR or a CAP or a Tre Mason (he's not an every down back), and then we have RB2 by committee.

I mean, that's great that he played RB in high school. However, that's also really typical of full backs, and he was recruited as a FB for a reason. I'm not saying that he can't carry the rock, or handle the load if need be. He looked great during the spring game. I'm stating what should be obvious to everyone, which is if JR gets hurt, we don't have a proven commodity at the RB position. Whether or not that is cause for alarm, I'm not sure, but its not conjecture. I'd feel more comfortable if we had an RB2 who had SEC experience playing the role JR will play. It is what it is. If JR gets hurt, then a number of backs will need to step it up. Roc would be another guy to help carry that load. How that's an unreasonable opinion or thought, I have no idea.

Just a point of clarification for the board. AU did not recruit Kam at all as a FB. Was solely recruited as a TB all the way. The staff did not even consider trying him at FB til right after his freshman season ended. Also I think Kam has real big back quality speed plus faster, quicker, & more wiggles than Malik IMO.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'm glad you made that clear. However, my point is still this: if JR gets hurt, we don't have a proven commodity at that position. Say what you want about KJ - he reps the 256 and I love the guy - but he isn't an every down type back. After JR, we've got RB by committee. I think its likely that Roc would have at least shared in some of those carries. Maybe not.

Roc was a proven commodity at RB? Lol. Get pissed at Gus for poor roster management.

You need new friends.

And?

Pot meets Kettle....

For me, this is not about ROC, it's about stability or the lack there of at AU since Gus has been the HC. They say players take on the HC personality, well it seems with all the staff turnover the kids are following suite. I have never seen so many leave the program. When will this end?

But when it's been widely stated that Roc wanted to leave so he could stand a better shot at "being the man" at RB, it's not on the coaching staff.

I agreed w/ the rest of your post but was just too lazy to say so.

Roc was a proven commodity at RB? Lol. Get pissed at Gus for poor roster management.

He never said Roc was a proven commodity. Good grief.

You need new friends.

Me too, but they don't have my number nor are we friends on FB.

Those aren't my words. You and I are probably agreeing more than you are giving me credit for. I don't think we had a proven commodity before this afternoon any more than we do now. That wasn't my point. My point was that after JR, we've got a committee of RBs who will likely share in carrying the "every-down" role. I completely understand that Roc wasn't that guy and wasn't going to be that guy. My point was that he would likely share in some of the carries thereafter. I could be dead wrong about that. Maybe Roc never sees another carry at RB despite injuries to JR or anyone else. Yet, after JR we don't know what kind of production we will get from his role. We've got bodies, but we don't know about production. That question exists with or without Roc. I just brought it up in this thread.

You need new friends.

And?

Pot meets Kettle....

Might want to explain that to the kettle and the rest of us pots as your meaning is unclear.

He relishes in his title as the board pseudo-insider but yet he has the gall to say that I take the Internet too seriously. That's laughable.

You need new friends.

Your family doesn't have your number? That's odd...

Those aren't my words. You and I are probably agreeing more than you are giving me credit for. I don't think we had a proven commodity before this afternoon any more than we do now. That wasn't my point. My point was that after JR, we've got a committee of RBs who will likely share in carrying the "every-down" role. I completely understand that Roc wasn't that guy and wasn't going to be that guy. My point was that he would likely share in some of the carries thereafter. I could be dead wrong about that. Maybe Roc never sees another carry at RB despite injuries to JR or anyone else. Yet, after JR we don't know what kind of production we will get from his role. We've got bodies, but we don't know about production. That question exists with or without Roc. I just brought it up in this thread.

JR, KJ, MM who had a lot better spring than anticipated and KP had all passed Roc on the depth chart at TB. An injury to JR I don't think Roc would have got any carries. If another injury? Probably.

You need new friends.

And?

Pot meets Kettle....

Might want to explain that to the kettle and the rest of us pots as your meaning is unclear.

He relishes in his title as the board pseudo-insider but yet he has the gall to say that I take the Internet too seriously. That's laughable.

I do? Lol. Again you take this internetting stuff to seriously.

You need new friends.

My family that would actually need to get in touch with me aren't bammers.

You need new friends.

Lol. Tell em Jared.

You need new friends.

And?

Pot meets Kettle....

I do? Lol. Again you take this internetting stuff to seriously.

OK Ralph

You need new friends.

When I said "surrounded by bammers," being in touch with Bammers was at the very least implied.

JR, KJ, MM who had a lot better spring than anticipated and KP had all passed Roc on the depth chart at TB. An injury to JR I don't think Roc would have got any carries. If another injury? Probably.

Yeah. I'm with you all the way through your post. I'm just not doing a good job of explaining what my position is - and because I'm posting in a thread about Roc, its natural that you read my posts as revolving around Roc and his departure. I've tried to clarify, but things get lost in the weeds around here. My position is this: With our without Roc, I'm not completely comfortable with our depth at the RB position. JR is a between the tackles, every down back. We don't have a proven commodity in that role after him. KJ is not an every down back. I'm sure that you would agree that he isn't ideal for the same role that CAP, Tre and Jovon play(ed). After JR we have MM and KP to assume that type of role. Those guys have not seen the field in that position. We don't know what kind of production is there. Had PB not left for the NFL, I wouldn't have this question, because we know what we had in PB. As far as Roc is germane to this discussion, he was just another arrow in the quiver, and in the position we are in I hate for us to lose anyone who could contribute to the RB position should one or two injuries occur.

:popcorn:/> :popcorn:/>

Same golf,

I haven't posted much the past few months (compared to my usual) but this is my view on 98% of the threads here every day. They turn crazy fast.

:popcorn:/> :popcorn:/>

This Roc stuff has really affected the masses. Hoping time will also heal this wound.

Im like many, I hate that we lose that type of playmaker in slot, etc. I hate losing the potential of a 50 yard TD from roc out of the slot that could be a difference in a ball game and if SW is the starter he could've really helped him, but it is what it is.

You need new friends.

When I said "surrounded by bammers," being in touch with Bammers was at the very least implied.

I'm surrounded by walls but I do everything I can to stay out of touch with them.

Archived