Touting the Offensive Coaching Staff

RunInRed

Well we have a Coach with little Div 1 experience, two bad seasons in the competitive SEC, and major coaching changes with rumors of tension and disarray. Our own fans are on the fence with CGM and expectations. Other schools are negative recruiting. It's clearly affecting this yrs recruiting. I personally am not a fan of CGM. Don't think RL is much of an OC. KB lacks experience and it's understandable why a top recruit is going to look elsewhere. I have to say that I've been surprised that we haven't had more success recruiting the nation's top RBs in comparison to UGA for instance. JR and KJ were great pickups but this yr even with a major need, we should be favored to land a strong group. Horton is good so I wonder if the concern is the sputtering offense. And we have been unable to land a top QB. Joey Gateway would be the first if he sticks. Hope we get KM

weve already got the #1 juco back and a 4* back committed in 2017 and are still looking for one more

RL is not much of an OC? I think you missed the OP. Even if it was completelyGus behind those offenses then why get rid of RL and bring in someone else who will do nothing but the same of what RL did for Gus? Barrett, JJ, Sean, Mond, Narcisse (at one point) and Gatewood are all up there as some of the nations top QB's of their classes. We currently have the #21 recruiting class and if we land Mond I'm sure we be top 10-15. What are you talking about??

I'd say mom2kid's post is pretty legit. I don't agree with the QB recruiting part but the rest is right. And lets be honest with the RB recruiting. One would think that all of the top kids would be lining up to play at AU under Gus. Not really happening but AU isn't hurting at RB recruiting either.

As far as RL. Sure it looks like Gus is going to run his system his way no matter who is the OC. Thats why, IMO, Gus need to get RL to move on and hire a stud QB coach. If Gus were to do this, watch out IMO. But as this staff stand now there is no real QB coach in the group. Gus isn't. RL isn't a very good one.

And I'm not so sure I'd be really gloating at the fact that AU has the top rated JUCO RB for 2017 committed. Kid is good. Not elite. Not the answer at RB for 2017 that AU needs.

great points...

about the juco rb we have committed, apparently he won't be the answer. keith tweeted over on 247 that he's being recruited as an "athlete"... could easily play reciever at AU

Yeah he plays both slot and RB in JUCO and Auburn will use him where they think he best fits.

l

Kinda like they were trying to do with Roc I guess. Lots of kids who play RB in HS are not built to take the punishment in the SEC as a RB. There are exceptions but looks like the stocky muscular guys have the best chance overall.....I'm thinking Dyer, Tre and those un-named guys at bama.

I'm really puzzled with AU and the RB recruiting. If I were a 5* top rated 215 to 230 lb RB id kill to play in Gus's system. You would get 1200 to 1500 yards a year and not kill your body.

But uat has these kid lining up. They are all used up before they take a snap in the NFL. Crazy stuff.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we have a Coach with little Div 1 experience, two bad seasons in the competitive SEC, and major coaching changes with rumors of tension and disarray. Our own fans are on the fence with CGM and expectations. Other schools are negative recruiting. It's clearly affecting this yrs recruiting. I personally am not a fan of CGM. Don't think RL is much of an OC. KB lacks experience and it's understandable why a top recruit is going to look elsewhere. I have to say that I've been surprised that we haven't had more success recruiting the nation's top RBs in comparison to UGA for instance. JR and KJ were great pickups but this yr even with a major need, we should be favored to land a strong group. Horton is good so I wonder if the concern is the sputtering offense. And we have been unable to land a top QB. Joey Gateway would be the first if he sticks. Hope we get KM

weve already got the #1 juco back and a 4* back committed in 2017 and are still looking for one more

RL is not much of an OC? I think you missed the OP. Even if it was completelyGus behind those offenses then why get rid of RL and bring in someone else who will do nothing but the same of what RL did for Gus? Barrett, JJ, Sean, Mond, Narcisse (at one point) and Gatewood are all up there as some of the nations top QB's of their classes. We currently have the #21 recruiting class and if we land Mond I'm sure we be top 10-15. What are you talking about??

I'd say mom2kid's post is pretty legit. I don't agree with the QB recruiting part but the rest is right. And lets be honest with the RB recruiting. One would think that all of the top kids would be lining up to play at AU under Gus. Not really happening but AU isn't hurting at RB recruiting either.

As far as RL. Sure it looks like Gus is going to run his system his way no matter who is the OC. Thats why, IMO, Gus need to get RL to move on and hire a stud QB coach. If Gus were to do this, watch out IMO. But as this staff stand now there is no real QB coach in the group. Gus isn't. RL isn't a very good one.

And I'm not so sure I'd be really gloating at the fact that AU has the top rated JUCO RB for 2017 committed. Kid is good. Not elite. Not the answer at RB for 2017 that AU needs.

great points...

about the juco rb we have committed, apparently he won't be the answer. keith tweeted over on 247 that he's being recruited as an "athlete"... could easily play reciever at AU

Yeah he plays both slot and RB in JUCO and Auburn will use him where they think he best fits.

l

Kinda like they were trying to do with Roc I guess. Lots of kids who play RB in HS are not built to take the punishment in the SEC as a RB. There are exceptions but looks like the stocky muscular guys have the best chance overall.....I'm thinking Dyer, Tre and those un-named guys at bama.

It was best for both that Ric moved on. Another DC situation.

great points...

l

How so? I bet Rhett and Gus would have LOVED for Roc to step up and be the man at any point during the last 2 seasons...he couldn't do it despite plenty of chances.

great points...

l

How so? I bet Rhett and Gus would have LOVED for Roc to step up and be the man at any point during the last 2 seasons...he couldn't do it despite plenty of chances.

???^^^

I'm with you...???

good cause I'm not

If you were, you'd forget why anyway.

Sorry guys, and it's not really worth it, but here goes... WDEWDE said the Roc situation was similar to the DC situation...but from what I understand DC was supposed to be more involved in running/planning the offense as promised by Gus....but that didn't work out for whatever reason.

I'm guessing, from his comment, that Gus made a similar promise to Roc that he would be the man at the RB position.

So my point...DC, from all internet rumors/accounts, was not given fair shot to Co-OC...but I'd argue Roc was given every opportunity to have the job (especially w/ the 15 offense needing a go-to guy). He simply did not perform. DC (again I'm guessing) was not given ample opportunity to perform in his promised role.

I'd argue Roc was given every opportunity to have the job (especially w/ the 15 offense needing a go-to guy). He simply did not perform. DC (again I'm guessing) was not given ample opportunity to perform in his promised role.

It's not as much that Roc didn't perform as he couldn't stay healthy. The reality of the situation is, Roc wanted to be the man at running back but a. he hasn't been able to handle the abuse and b. he didn't beat out Jovon in practice, so he is going elsewhere were he will be the man because he's not competing with the level of talent that he is competing with at AU.

Gus had a plan for him and he was going to get playing time, but it wasn't how he wanted it, so he moved on. It honestly doesn't matter if he felt like he was promised the #1 slot or not. In big time college football, you have to earn your position, and sometimes patiently wait for an opening, whether you are a player or a coach. It's the same way in life. You don't get the corner office by showing up and saying "you promised".

I remember CDC saying that Duke would be the best ever or some such thing and then watched the wide receivers drop the ball on and off the field. KB won't do any worse for the program than the cluster delivered at that position last year. I never had a roommate like Duke at AU, but I know it would have been a nightmare even if I wasn't the starting QB (JJ). CDC bet his paycheck on Duke and we all rode it into the dirt.

I remember CDC saying that Duke would be the best ever or some such thing and then watched the wide receivers drop the ball on and off the field. KB won't do any worse for the program than the cluster delivered at that position last year. I never had a roommate like Duke at AU, but I know it would have been a nightmare even if I wasn't the starting QB (JJ). CDC bet his paycheck on Duke and we all rode it into the dirt.

And Gus rode his on JJ. Sometimes things, do not work out as planned. No point in constantly bickering about it now. Lesson learnt, do not put all your eggs in one basket.

It's amazing how quiet the naysayers are when confronted with the facts about our coaching staff.

Everybody seems to be pretty pleased with RG thanks to his offseason recruiting efforts. He appears to be safe at the moment.

The only real issue left with the coaching staff from the posters on here are RL, and the "facts" attributed to RL are not as hard as they appear. Yeah, RL may have coached the number one offense but how much credit does he really deserve for the 2013 offense? Also, the question is how interchangeable is the OC under Gus Malzahn? Is Lashlee necessary to have a great Gus Malzahn offense or is he just sufficient to have a great Gus Malzahn offense? Lastly, if Lashlee is such a good offensive coach, why does it seem like Gus is wanting to take back some control of the offense that he had given to RL last year?

RL and Kodi. Jury is still out on Kodi. Huge learning curve. And Kodi is getting worked on the recruiting trail.

Others are damn good. In fact it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. Which makes me :dunno:/> about Gus and RL. So I was told by someone who would know.

If true...this concerns me with Gus and his thought process with his offense. It's like he's in a fog and can't get out. Please get out!

Not surprised regarding Kodi. He's young and needs time. I don't know Kodi's personality but T-Will is def. a guy that recruits just love like Craig. T-Will is very engaging; even before he got the job. He commonly interacts with AU fans on FB. People are just drawn to him. Kodi seems pretty cool, calm and a little reserved. Both will have to prove themselves. I'm just beyond thankful that DC left us with some pretty good talent at WR which should help Kodi's learning curve.

Its clear to see how Kodi would struggle on the recruiting trail...

He's a shy/timid type of guy... and to speak frankly, he's kinda awkward. He lacks the confidence he needs right now... that comes with experience. But, he doesn't have the bubbly personality that Travis has... and that's what attracts these recruits and high school coaches.

All that being said, Kodi can definitely learn these traits, but it'll take time.

But make no mistake, this will be a struggle for him. I mean, he's a 26 year old kid going up against some of the best recruiters/snake-oil salesmen in the game...

That's why the Kodi hire left me scratching my head... we gave up a lot on the recruiting trail.

just one mans opinion.

I met Kodi a few times back when I was a student. to say he is shy and timid is 100% accurate. Super nice guy but not outgoing at all.

I'm sure we can tout anybody, some recent success would tout themselves though, it would mean more as well.

Not that I'm defending DC, which I'm not, but Gus told everyone the same thing about JJ. Time to get rid of Gus for saying as much? Or could someone do better than Gus?

Not that I'm defending DC, which I'm not, but Gus told everyone the same thing about JJ. Time to get rid of Gus for saying as much? Or could someone do better than Gus?

WarDamnEagle somewhere you said that if Gus could get rid of Lashlee and bring in someone that can develop a QB Gus would be in good shape. I agree with that. I like Gus's offense. He not Rhett knows how to run his offense, but Gus doesn't know how to develop a QB and needs to bring someone on who does.

When people say stuff like this, it really trips me out. So he said the guy would be great....ok. Bet his paycheck? Wth does that even mean? What wr should we have been playing instead?

When people say stuff like this, it really trips me out. So he said the guy would be great....ok. Bet his paycheck? Wth does that even mean? What wr should we have been playing instead?

I really hope there is an attempt to respond to this, because I'd also like to know. It seemed like we threw to other guys besides Duke in the few games that he was present for.

A lot of interesting thoughts and stats here. Like, a LOT.

You are absolutely correct. That is a very good read. THEY NEVER QUIT!, I like that. WDE

Gus and Hand are beast!

I really like Horton a lot. Solid dude!

Kodi is my boy. He's gonna make a fine coach!

Fountain is solid as well.

Lashlee has learned a lot from Gus. He took a lot of the brunt of a jacked up season. Not entirely his fault.

Mark my words, before Lashlee leaves for a HC position, he will be known as a very good coach by the AU faithful. Maybe even a Broyles award.

A lot of interesting thoughts and stats here. Like, a LOT.

Enjoyable read. The point I liked best I think was at the end when the writer points out - given all the crap that went on last year - how did we win 7 games? Hopefully that spells something good this year - the kids don't quit and if we get a few breaks actually go our way this year (and get at least decent and consistent QB play), then we can have a good season.

CgWKhzPUEAEQxzy.jpg

CjkGaGOXAAA9YQw.jpg

CjaL2eXUoAEmfSf.jpg

CjL3fFzWkAAjVLd.jpg

CjWb1sGUUAAcSIx.jpg

CjWb1tWVEAEVk-w.jpg

Question - Do most schools tout their coaching staff like this? I mean do they list all of the accolades from the # of bowl appearances an assistant has to how many players he's sent to the NFL in his career? Is this stuff more of a filler for the Media Guide, etc?

Archived