Touting the Offensive Coaching Staff

RunInRed

It's amazing how quiet the naysayers are when confronted with the facts about our coaching staff.

Everybody seems to be pretty pleased with RG thanks to his offseason recruiting efforts. He appears to be safe at the moment.

The only real issue left with the coaching staff from the posters on here are RL, and the "facts" attributed to RL are not as hard as they appear. Yeah, RL may have coached the number one offense but how much credit does he really deserve for the 2013 offense? Also, the question is how interchangeable is the OC under Gus Malzahn? Is Lashlee necessary to have a great Gus Malzahn offense or is he just sufficient to have a great Gus Malzahn offense? Lastly, if Lashlee is such a good offensive coach, why does it seem like Gus is wanting to take back some control of the offense that he had given to RL last year?

RL and Kodi. Jury is still out on Kodi. Huge learning curve. And Kodi is getting worked on the recruiting trail.

Others are damn good. In fact it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. Which makes me :dunno: about Gus and RL. So I was told by someone who would know.

how is it possible to know this at this point. not saying it won't happen but isn't it like 3 months into his tenure and not sure what opportunities he has had to win or lose recruiting.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yupp, 83 is spot on with roc. Reminds me of that Deanthony Thomas dude from Oregon or last years kid from Stanford. They'd put them on the field wherever he would make the biggest mismatch. Pitches from the backfield, reads with the QB, WR whenever needed. They'd just get him the ball anywhere on the field where he'd have space to make something happen. And they'd still keep him in the backfield every now and then because he was a RB who could make huge plays.

As for Kodi, I don't feel like he's got the type of personality that will allow him to start huge on the recruiting trail. I think if he shows he can coach, his recruiting will be fine.

JMO but it's not up to Gus or Kodi to put Roc on the field...it's up to Roc to want that position and then win it over several other guys who might be just as good. Gotta lol at the comments comparing Roc to guys at other schools who have actually won the jobs at their schools and seem eager to help their team win.

Why the concern about a guy who apparently needs coddling and has to be re-recruited each year to keep him on campus?

Yupp, 83 is spot on with roc. Reminds me of that Deanthony Thomas dude from Oregon or last years kid from Stanford. They'd put them on the field wherever he would make the biggest mismatch. Pitches from the backfield, reads with the QB, WR whenever needed. They'd just get him the ball anywhere on the field where he'd have space to make something happen. And they'd still keep him in the backfield every now and then because he was a RB who could make huge plays.

As for Kodi, I don't feel like he's got the type of personality that will allow him to start huge on the recruiting trail. I think if he shows he can coach, his recruiting will be fine.

JMO but it's not up to Gus or Kodi to put Roc on the field...it's up to Roc to want that position and then win it over several other guys who might be just as good. Gotta lol at the comments comparing Roc to guys at other schools who have actually won the jobs at their schools and seem eager to help their team win.

Why the concern about a guy who apparently needs coddling and has to be re-recruited each year to keep him on campus?

Who said Roc needs coddling. Comparing similar skillsets isn't even that funny either.

I'm def. not saying to coddle Roc and at this point it may be best for him to move on b/c this back and forth of it he wants to stay or leave is a waste of our time with our staff trying to get the offense back on course. My only point is that even though Roc probably wouldn't fully like the idea of not being a primary RB i do feel like if we would've ushered him into that role last season as games went on during the season and it was very clear we were struggling in the passing game and creating big plays; getting him the ball in various ways as Charhair mentioned i don't think there would be much of an issue at this point if he'd be open to the role increasing this season b/c he'd know for a fact he was going to get some touches and likely the load would increase from the previous year.

Welp it's a official.....Roc gone.

Who said Roc needs coddling. Comparing similar skillsets isn't even that funny either.

I'm not thinking skill sets, I'm thinking performance. We probably have two or three other guys on our team with similar skill sets .

As for coddling, I guess my definition falls under the category of players who can't seem to decide whether they want to be at Auburn or not and need frequent reassuring.

I'm not thinking skill sets, I'm thinking performance. We probably have two or three other guys on our team with similar skill sets .

As for coddling, I guess my definition falls under the category of players who can't seem to decide whether they want to be at Auburn or not and need frequent reassuring.

He was resistant to a position change and decided to leave after he was about to move.

It's amazing how quiet the naysayers are when confronted with the facts about our coaching staff.

Everybody seems to be pretty pleased with RG thanks to his offseason recruiting efforts. He appears to be safe at the moment.

The only real issue left with the coaching staff from the posters on here are RL, and the "facts" attributed to RL are not as hard as they appear. Yeah, RL may have coached the number one offense but how much credit does he really deserve for the 2013 offense? Also, the question is how interchangeable is the OC under Gus Malzahn? Is Lashlee necessary to have a great Gus Malzahn offense or is he just sufficient to have a great Gus Malzahn offense? Lastly, if Lashlee is such a good offensive coach, why does it seem like Gus is wanting to take back some control of the offense that he had given to RL last year?

RL and Kodi. Jury is still out on Kodi. Huge learning curve. And Kodi is getting worked on the recruiting trail.

Others are damn good. In fact it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. Which makes me :dunno:/> about Gus and RL. So I was told by someone who would know.

If true...this concerns me with Gus and his thought process with his offense. It's like he's in a fog and can't get out. Please get out!

Not surprised regarding Kodi. He's young and needs time. I don't know Kodi's personality but T-Will is def. a guy that recruits just love like Craig. T-Will is very engaging; even before he got the job. He commonly interacts with AU fans on FB. People are just drawn to him. Kodi seems pretty cool, calm and a little reserved. Both will have to prove themselves. I'm just beyond thankful that DC left us with some pretty good talent at WR which should help Kodi's learning curve.

Its clear to see how Kodi would struggle on the recruiting trail...

He's a shy/timid type of guy... and to speak frankly, he's kinda awkward. He lacks the confidence he needs right now... that comes with experience. But, he doesn't have the bubbly personality that Travis has... and that's what attracts these recruits and high school coaches.

All that being said, Kodi can definitely learn these traits, but it'll take time.

But make no mistake, this will be a struggle for him. I mean, he's a 26 year old kid going up against some of the best recruiters/snake-oil salesmen in the game...

That's why the Kodi hire left me scratching my head... we gave up a lot on the recruiting trail.

just one mans opinion.

Others are damn good. In fact it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. Which makes me :dunno:/> about Gus and RL. So I was told by someone who would know.

If true...this concerns me with Gus and his thought process with his offense. It's like he's in a fog and can't get out. Please get out!

Not surprised regarding Kodi. He's young and needs time. I don't know Kodi's personality but T-Will is def. a guy that recruits just love like Craig. T-Will is very engaging; even before he got the job. He commonly interacts with AU fans on FB. People are just drawn to him. Kodi seems pretty cool, calm and a little reserved. Both will have to prove themselves. I'm just beyond thankful that DC left us with some pretty good talent at WR which should help Kodi's learning curve.

He's a shy/timid type of guy... and to speak frankly, he's kinda awkward. He lacks the confidence he needs right now... that comes with experience. But, he doesn't have the bubbly personality that Travis has... and that's what attracts these recruits and high school coaches.

All that being said, Kodi can definitely learn these traits, but it'll take time.

But make no mistake, this will be a struggle for him. I mean, he's a 26 year old kid going up against some of the best recruiters/snake-oil salesmen in the game...

That's why the Kodi hire left me scratching my head... we gave up a lot on the recruiting trail.

just one mans opinion.

On him alone yes but not every coach on a team has to be an ace recruiter. We have 2 in CRG & CWM plus T-Will is looking very promising. . Horton is a good one as well as Hand. CSF has done good in central Florida. They all can help him recruit WRs. The main thing I'm looking for from Kodi is developing those talented WRs CDC brought in.

On him alone yes but not every coach on a team has to be an ace recruiter. We have 2 in CRG & CWM plus T-Will is looking very promising. . Horton is a good one as well as Hand. CSF has done good in central Florida. They all can help him recruit WRs. The main thing I'm looking for from Kodi is developing those talented WRs CDC brought in.

Right....folks gripe about "failure to develop" various players who don't seem to reach the level their "potential" indicates....so maybe it's time to have a few guys who can teach and coach....and not get totally caught up in the recruiting battles.

We have some fresh young talent at the various receiving positions. It would be nice to see those guys bring fear to the hearts of opposing defenses by catching everything in reach and helping our QBs by running crisp and correct routes ....and when we have third and 7, not running a six yard stop pattern.

Hoping Kodi can coach 'em up this year and sure not writing him off, as some seem to be doing, before the team hits the field.

Right now Kodi is at a disadvantage as he is new and some of the opposing recruiters have had these kids and their parents ear for a couple of years. As for being timid and shy as some have said being quite is not the same thing as being timid and shy. So he is not a rah rah type guy but when he sits down with the parents and the kids one on one and they see his love for Auburn and his sincerity it will turn some kids to Auburn. Some kids and families will be more attracted to a guy like Kodi while others will prefer a personality like McGriff. We are lucky we can recruit with both types.

The kids who are Sophomores and Juniors this year will help us see what type of a recruiter Kodi is. I think we will be pleasantly surprised by Kodi but only time will tell for sure.

I'm fine with waiting to see what Kodi does in recruiting business. One thing he has going for him is that he did it at Auburn . He is not a hired gun brought in to do quick recruiting and then move along.

He learned to play wide receiver at Auburn . It was not his natural position but he did it for the team and contributed the best way he could. I think Kodi brings something special to the recruiting trail and that is his Auburn connection from his playing days. And he has that BCS ring … Not a small thing.

just one mans opinion.

At this point i'm not worried about him recruiting wise...just coach the guys we have up to getting better results than we have in the past. I mainly want to see our WRs getting better technique wise in not only catching but running routes and getting in better position to get open more.

If the receivers run their routes, get open and CATCH THE BALL we'll be in much better shape with Kodi coaching them. The recruiting slack (if there indeed is any) can be taken up by others.

Well we have a Coach with little Div 1 experience, two bad seasons in the competitive SEC, and major coaching changes with rumors of tension and disarray. Our own fans are on the fence with CGM and expectations. Other schools are negative recruiting. It's clearly affecting this yrs recruiting. I personally am not a fan of CGM. Don't think RL is much of an OC. KB lacks experience and it's understandable why a top recruit is going to look elsewhere. I have to say that I've been surprised that we haven't had more success recruiting the nation's top RBs in comparison to UGA for instance. JR and KJ were great pickups but this yr even with a major need, we should be favored to land a strong group. Horton is good so I wonder if the concern is the sputtering offense. And we have been unable to land a top QB. Joey Gateway would be the first if he sticks. Hope we get KM

Well we have a Coach with little Div 1 experience, two bad seasons in the competitive SEC, and major coaching changes with rumors of tension and disarray. Our own fans are on the fence with CGM and expectations. Other schools are negative recruiting. It's clearly affecting this yrs recruiting. I personally am not a fan of CGM. Don't think RL is much of an OC. KB lacks experience and it's understandable why a top recruit is going to look elsewhere. I have to say that I've been surprised that we haven't had more success recruiting the nation's top RBs in comparison to UGA for instance. JR and KJ were great pickups but this yr even with a major need, we should be favored to land a strong group. Horton is good so I wonder if the concern is the sputtering offense. And we have been unable to land a top QB. Joey Gateway would be the first if he sticks. Hope we get KM

weve already got the #1 juco back and a 4* back committed in 2017 and are still looking for one more

RL is not much of an OC? I think you missed the OP. Even if it was completelyGus behind those offenses then why get rid of RL and bring in someone else who will do nothing but the same of what RL did for Gus? Barrett, JJ, Sean, Mond, Narcisse (at one point) and Gatewood are all up there as some of the nations top QB's of their classes. We currently have the #21 recruiting class and if we land Mond I'm sure we be top 10-15. What are you talking about??

All of your concerns that you put in your post are valid and will be addressed in the next two seasons (at most). We all need to pray to the AU football gods that Gus becomes a good HC in the next season or two because the worst situation for AU is for Jay Jacobs to hire another football coach.

wde

weve already got the #1 juco back and a 4* back committed in 2017 and are still looking for one more

RL is not much of an OC? I think you missed the OP. Even if it was completelyGus behind those offenses then why get rid of RL and bring in someone else who will do nothing but the same of what RL did for Gus? Barrett, JJ, Sean, Mond, Narcisse (at one point) and Gatewood are all up there as some of the nations top QB's of their classes. We currently have the #21 recruiting class and if we land Mond I'm sure we be top 10-15. What are you talking about??

At least. We are recruiting Alaric as an ATH right now.

I'd say mom2kid's post is pretty legit. I don't agree with the QB recruiting part but the rest is right. And lets be honest with the RB recruiting. One would think that all of the top kids would be lining up to play at AU under Gus. Not really happening but AU isn't hurting at RB recruiting either.

As far as RL. Sure it looks like Gus is going to run his system his way no matter who is the OC. Thats why, IMO, Gus need to get RL to move on and hire a stud QB coach. If Gus were to do this, watch out IMO. But as this staff stand now there is no real QB coach in the group. Gus isn't. RL isn't a very good one.

And I'm not so sure I'd be really gloating at the fact that AU has the top rated JUCO RB for 2017 committed. Kid is good. Not elite. Not the answer at RB for 2017 that AU needs.

I'd say mom2kid's post is pretty legit. I don't agree with the QB recruiting part but the rest is right. And lets be honest with the RB recruiting. One would think that all of the top kids would be lining up to play at AU under Gus. Not really happening but AU isn't hurting at RB recruiting either.

As far as RL. Sure it looks like Gus is going to run his system his way no matter who is the OC. Thats why, IMO, Gus need to get RL to move on and hire a stud QB coach. If Gus were to do this, watch out IMO. But as this staff stand now there is no real QB coach in the group. Gus isn't. RL isn't a very good one.

And I'm not so sure I'd be really gloating at the fact that AU has the top rated JUCO RB for 2017 committed. Kid is good. Not elite. Not the answer at RB for 2017 that AU needs.

great points...

about the juco rb we have committed, apparently he won't be the answer. keith tweeted over on 247 that he's being recruited as an "athlete"... could easily play reciever at AU

great points...

about the juco rb we have committed, apparently he won't be the answer. keith tweeted over on 247 that he's being recruited as an "athlete"... could easily play reciever at AU

Yeah he plays both slot and RB in JUCO and Auburn will use him where they think he best fits.

Covered in the Octavius Matthews thread. Alaric Williams is also being recruited as an ATH & not just RB also.

Covered in the Octavius Matthews thread. Alaric Williams is also being recruited as an ATH & not just RB also.

That has nothing to do with JF3's passing ability. You must be lost.

Then who are we going after for RB? Barrett?

Then who are we going after for RB? Barrett?

Among of a handful of others, yes.

great points...

Yeah he plays both slot and RB in JUCO and Auburn will use him where they think he best fits.

l

Kinda like they were trying to do with Roc I guess. Lots of kids who play RB in HS are not built to take the punishment in the SEC as a RB. There are exceptions but looks like the stocky muscular guys have the best chance overall.....I'm thinking Dyer, Tre and those un-named guys at bama.

Archived