National Park trees are racist

It's almost automatic. Whenever you read an idiot thread title, you know the original post was most likely one of four individuals.

Excessive time in the "conservative" echo chamber devastates one's IQ.

So, what exactly are you dismissing ? Sure, the story is nuts. But are you blaming the " conservatives " who report it ? Or the site ? I'm curious as to see what you object to the most.

The story is itself absurd. It's on par of Rachel Dolezal in nuts. That isn't in much debate, right ?

So, what of this ' echo chamber ' ? Did Mickey Fearn, the National Park Service Deputy Director for Communications and Community Assistance NOT make a statement as to why black people don't visit national parks ? ?

Yes or No ?

So what did he say?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost automatic. Whenever you read an idiot thread title, you know the original post was most likely one of four individuals.

So, what exactly are you dismissing ? Sure, the story is nuts. But are you blaming the " conservatives " who report it ? Or the site ? I'm curious as to see what you object to the most.

The story is itself absurd. It's on par of Rachel Dolezal in nuts. That isn't in much debate, right ?

So, what of this ' echo chamber ' ? Did Mickey Fearn, the National Park Service Deputy Director for Communications and Community Assistance NOT make a statement as to why black people don't visit national parks ? ?

Yes or No ?

So what did he say?

Umm, very first paragraph of the linked story, homer...

" Mickey Fearn, the National Park Service Deputy Director for Communications and Community Assistance, made headlines when he claimed that black people don’t visit national parks because they associate them with slaves being lynched by their masters. "

Do I need to repeat the question ?

Yes or No ?

So what did he say?

Umm, very first paragraph of the linked story, homer...

" Mickey Fearn, the National Park Service Deputy Director for Communications and Community Assistance, made headlines when he claimed that black people don’t visit national parks because they associate them with slaves being lynched by their masters. "

Do I need to repeat the question ?

I didn't read the article. I went to the link, saw the first story on it (about the pope), and decided not to waste my time trying to find the article in question.

So in order to answer your question, I'd like to see a second source.

:-\

So, you dismiss it out of hand, until verified by another source ? Fine. But that's the claim that's been made. If true, would you consider this an idiotic thread too ? Nothing but an conservative echo chamber ? Simply because it posted a factual story ?

The claim was made by Alcee Hastings for one and others too I believe. The purpose in posting this was to show that the race hustling never ends and they're always looking for a new angle to try and show America as a racist country even now.

Guest NC1406

Hiked a few areas in AZ about 10 days ago. The only slighted minority I saw was the native Americans. Damn we have screwed that "race". "Civilization" has a tendency to be brutal. Off to prepare for the next group that wants to civilize me.

Felt similar when I traveled to S. Dakota , Wyoming & Montana ...

I looked at some links within CT's OP to see if I could find the original story or video of his speaking about this and saw that this is an outdated story that was rehashed this week in an effort to rile up all the naive folks about all the "whining" or "ridiculous" black people and their "claims of racism." The Fearn quote appears to be from a Canada Outdoors conference in February 2013, the month he left his NPS post.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/27/ravines_arent_just_for_rich_white_people_porter.html

The Finney lynching quote is from her 2014 book "Black Faces, White Spaces: Reimagining the Relationship of African Americans to the Great Outdoors."

https://www.guernicamag.com/interviews/landscapes-of-exclusion/

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Faces-White-Spaces-Relationship/dp/1469614480

There’s a way that nature has been talked about as a sublime, peaceful, beautiful space. There’s something deep about going out under a tree or in the woods on a mountain without any human beings. The quiet—there is something meaningful about it. Putting those two things together means, for someone like Henry David Thoreau, going out into the woods to find serenity.

But if you were black at that time, you had better make sure that you had a gun in your pocket and knew where you were going. Because it wasn’t about how nature would be violent to you, but how other people out in nature would be violent toward you because of the color of your skin. Black people also wanted to go out in the woods and eat apples from the trees. But black people were lynched on the trees. The tree became a big symbol.

Nature is sublime; nature is regenerative. We need it to survive. But these are spaces where we can be killed. And so, for some of us, these spaces don’t feel good. Not because of anything nature can do, but because of what other people do to us in nature.

To summarize what she's saying: blacks avoid the isolation of nature because of the fear of running into racist loons.

So evidently the guy didn't say it according to the Star article. None of the other folks cited in the article ever said "trees are racist" either. That's the author of the article's moronic inference.

So the OP is a lie and the wingnut media is preying upon naive folks proclivity to believe such ridiculous claims.

:-\

So, you dismiss it out of hand, until verified by another source ? Fine. But that's the claim that's been made. If true, would you consider this an idiotic thread too ? Nothing but an conservative echo chamber ? Simply because it posted a factual story ?

Yes. It shouldn't be all that hard to find one.

Even if true, I would still consider the title of this thread to be idiotic.

Yep

I don't know that it's "factual". This site looks like a right wing tabloid.

Of course. It's a " lie ".

Isn't it always ?

You pick the stupidest things to 'double down' on.

That's a lie !!!

Leaves no doubt in my mind.

#SLOWCLAP

In and of itself, it's not a big deal. When you put it together with all the other stuff they find offensive or racist then it does become part of a pattern. They're part of the grievance industry. They profit from keeping things stirred up between the races. This does nothing to address real problems faced by blacks and just makes it harder to do anything.

In and of itself, it's not a big deal. When you put it together with all the other stuff they find offensive or racist then it does become part of a pattern. They're part of the grievance industry. They profit from keeping things stirred up between the races. This does nothing to address real problems faced by blacks and just makes it harder to do anything.

Ironic post of the week!

Ironic post of the week!

says the apologist for these kind of people

Ironic post of the week!

says the apologist for these kind of people

For what kind of people?

So are the trees racist or not?

Only in the fevered dreams of the far right. ;)

So are the trees racist or not?

Only in the fevered dreams of the far right. ;)/>

The right has nothing vested in this in the least.

Greviance industry, Homer.

Duh

Duh?

Who are the "greviance industry" - black people?

Color is the only thing that's important to you, isn't it ?

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs – partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.” - Booker T Washington.

Archived