Reason This Doctor Says Georgia Fired Him

Auburn4life

Out of curiosity, what was the outside employment? Because he disputes that claim:

He can dispute until he's blue in the face. They've got him dead to rights. GDPH has their "out."

Pasadena Public Health Director Dr. Eric Walsh did not disclose his associate pastor salary on a required public statement of economic interest, according to documents exclusively obtained by this news organization.

In the required California Form 700 Walsh submitted to the city for 2013, the embattled city employee indicated that he had not received income from any investments, real property, gifts, travel payments or income, loans or business positions for last year.

But, according to the Southern California Conference for the national Seventh-day Adventist Church organization, Walsh is paid to be an associate pastor at the Altadena Seventh-day Adventist Church.

The form is signed under penalty of perjury.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity, what was the outside employment? Because he disputes that claim:

He can dispute until he's blue in the face. They've got him dead to rights. GDPH has their "out."

Pasadena Public Health Director Dr. Eric Walsh did not disclose his associate pastor salary on a required public statement of economic interest, according to documents exclusively obtained by this news organization.

In the required California Form 700 Walsh submitted to the city for 2013, the embattled city employee indicated that he had not received income from any investments, real property, gifts, travel payments or income, loans or business positions for last year.

But, according to the Southern California Conference for the national Seventh-day Adventist Church organization, Walsh is paid to be an associate pastor at the Altadena Seventh-day Adventist Church.

And this is a requirement in Georgia?

The GDPH's public response indicated a policy violation.

The doctor's contention is that the issue never came up at any stage of the interview process. Have you seen the written policy being asserted?

The doctor's contention is that the issue never came up at any stage of the interview process. Have you seen the written policy being asserted?

Correct, but the hire was apparently conditional upon passing a background check.

As for having seen the particular policy, I have not. But the idea that GDPH would invent a policy when facing a lawsuit quite frankly strains credulity.

Correct, but the hire was apparently conditional upon passing a background check.

As for having seen the particular policy, I have not. But the idea that GDPH would invent a policy when facing a lawsuit quite frankly strains credulity.

I would think they would already have cited the policy violated.

Any chance you're letting some bias creep into what you think strains credulity?

*SNIP*

I would think they would already have cited the policy violated.

Any chance you're letting some bias creep into what you think strains credulity?

They really have nothing to gain by lying. In a suit like this that's a hole large enough to drive a truck through. It's one of the first things the plaintiff's attorneys will attack. If I find a policy handbook I'll let you know.

As for bias, I'm not so haughty as to proclaim myself completely unbiased.

Ben I believe you'd like to establish a religious test for public employees. No Christian need apply.

Believe whatever you want. No skin off my back.

Ben I believe you'd like to establish a religious test for public employees. No Christian need apply.

Well I know this much. In every instance where religious conviction or religious freedom is in conflict with someone or something else you always, without fail, side against religious freedom. At the minimum you are indifferent.

Well I know this much. In every instance where religious conviction or religious freedom is in conflict with someone or something else you always, without fail, side against religious freedom. At the minimum you are indifferent.

On the contrary, I side with religious freedom in the grandest sense of the word. My faith is my faith, not everyone else's and though they should accommodate me, I should be equally accommodating. Freedom from religion is every bit as important a part of freedom of religion as my right to worship as I choose.

And yeah, I get it that you think this is a religious freedom case, but they have a justifiable reason to cut him loose, independent of whatever religious convictions he may hold.

Freedom from religion is every bit as important a part of freedom of religion as my right to worship as I choose.

I agree with you completely, but freedom FROM religion does not mean that you have a right not to see others express their freedom. It seems to be that we have gotten off course in this area.

• 9 months later...
On 4/22/2016 at 11:50 AM, Grumps said:

How are we defining evolution? Does evolution propose that a new species evolves from a current species? Do e. coli evolve into new species? Has anyone ever observed a new species being formed?

No, species adapt and adjust to their environment.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It appears that Georgia did not have the airtight case they thought they had or they would not have paid out this money. They saved face by not admitting to any wrong doing. Some will say they paid this out to save money but I doubt that will hold much water. There was to much circumstantial evidence that his belief's affected the decision.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It appears that Georgia did not have the airtight case they thought they had or they would not have paid out this money. They saved face by not admitting to any wrong doing. Some will say they paid this out to save money but I doubt that will hold much water. There was to much circumstantial evidence that his belief's affected the decision.

The thing that stuck out to me was the email where the GA Health Dept people were all divvying up his sermons to go listen to online.  If it were simply a cut and dried case of "you didn't disclose your outside employment," why do you need to hear all his sermons?  That was reinforced later when GDPH's lawyers tried to subpeona transcripts of his sermons.  Again, if it's simply about failing to disclose outside employment and salary, content of the sermons isn't relevant.  That leads me to believe the "failure to disclose" rationale was a cover for the real reason:  they simply didn't like what he said.  

Archived