Woody Working to Start

Charhair

No. Not a good idea to start a Freshman QB in this league......

Wasn't too good idea to start a Junior either last year but we did.

If he is the best let him play. We shall be better off in year two. Pre season excitement with some basis would be welcomed change.

Let me repeat: there is a HUGE difference in a true freshman and a redshirt freshman. Having a year to practice, watch film, etc while Nick Marshall finished his career made a lot of difference for Sean.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DeShaun Watson played rather extensively as a freshman, he turned out alright. If he's the best QB, let him take his licks and learn from it.

He was also much more developed as a passer out of high school than Woody is. Woody can develop into a passer but right now he is very, very, raw.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can be so emphatic on Woody's ability (or lack thereof). It's obvious so far that none of the QB's have separated themselves, so it looks like the door may be open to anything happening, no matter how unlikely. I honestly don't care who wins the QB job (and I agree that Woody's chances are fairly slim) but who can tell what happens in the fall. If Woody at least holds his own and shows a ton of upside, then Gus may decide to roll the dice with him. If he displays this upside during the season, the powers that be may be ok with a 7-8 win season and sticking with Gus, figuring that the QB of the future is in place and improving.

DeShaun Watson played rather extensively as a freshman, he turned out alright. If he's the best QB, let him take his licks and learn from it.

He was also much more developed as a passer out of high school than Woody is. Woody can develop into a passer but right now he is very, very, raw.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can be so emphatic on Woody's ability (or lack thereof). It's obvious so far that none of the QB's have separated themselves, so it looks like the door may be open to anything happening, no matter how unlikely. I honestly don't care who wins the QB job (and I agree that Woody's chances are fairly slim) but who can tell what happens in the fall. If Woody at least holds his own and shows a ton of upside, then Gus may decide to roll the dice with him. If he displays this upside during the season, the powers that be may be ok with a 7-8 win season and sticking with Gus, figuring that the QB of the future is in place and improving.

My own thought is that SW and JF3 have separated from JJ. SW can pass better, JF3 can run better, both are on the undersized end of the QB scale, neither is the complete package. My guess is that SW has the edge at the moment. But if any other QB, like WB, TQ, or a grad transfer, can show they have more to offer then so be it.

Our starting QB is either going to be Sean White or JF III.

White is the most accurate of these two, but Franklin has wheels. Which one is more important to the overall game plan is going to determine which one starts, IMHO.

My biggest concern about JF III is his size. A running QB who is as skinny as JF III is prone to injury once he is facing 300 lb. D-linemen and 350-260 lb linebackers. He is fast though.

My largest concern about White is if our receivers can step up. Right now, the two best receivers on the team is Marcus Davis and Roc Thomas (yes I know Roc is a running back, but he has proven he can catch).

So the concern about white is if his wr can step up....what about the other qb's?

I don't see how jf3 can beat out Sean at this point unless we don't have a strong enough WR core.

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe jf3 can improve that much more, but his ability to pass in the a day game did seem iffy. Of course it was only one pass but that deep ball would give me panic attacks every time he threw it if that's what they all looked like.

If we have a solid group of receivers going into the season and a strong oline (which would be essential to any QBs success of course) SW's accuracy and ability to get get the ball out of the pocket fast will spread out defenses just as much as anything else.

You can pick a throw out from anybody though. I'd like to see all the qb's have like an entire half to just play. I know we can't see that though. To be honest I haven't seen jj's amazing arm strength or sw amazing accuracy since they've been playing....I just wonder if our expectations are too high because of hype from off season then when it's game time we are all befuddled, or lying to ourselves about what we wanted a guy to be

You can pick a throw out from anybody though. I'd like to see all the qb's have like an entire half to just play. I know we can't see that though. To be honest I haven't seen jj's amazing arm strength or sw amazing accuracy since they've been playing....I just wonder if our expectations are too high because of hype from off season then when it's game time we are all befuddled, or lying to ourselves about what we wanted a guy to be

i could also pick out about 5-10 throws that white made during the a day game that were great passes, not so much on jf3's part. The SW highlight video that was posted in this thread seems to do a good job of proving SW's accuracy (I know it's a highlight film but still)

Yoy about have that right.....especially the second part. See too many posters absolutely convinced that some kid right out of HS is going to be ready to lead a team in the SEC. And using DW from Clemson as evidence.....one guy in a thousand.....and because DW did it, then it supports the theory that Woody or Joey will be ready to run Gus's offense ?

Aside from your two suppositions I guess i would like to toss in clueless as a third reason.

Last year, we thought that the QB position was in good hands and we would put on a good show and win tons of games. I think we have a totally different idea going into 2016. I hope that this season we are surprised with the QB position and will be able to enjoy the season with wins coming our way. I would not be surprised if JJ comes on strong and plays the way we all thought he should from game one.

If we can get JJ to play like he did with TAMU and Memphis, then there is hope. However, if it goes bad we should give the other QBs a chance to show what they can do. With a healthy SW and JFIII gaining enough skills to throw the ball well enough to scare off defenses from loading up in the box, both could turn into a good SEC QB. Give Woody a redshirt year, then all will be well on the plains. Think positive my friends!

Yoy about have that right.....especially the second part. See too many posters absolutely convinced that some kid right out of HS is going to be ready to lead a team in the SEC. And using DW from Clemson as evidence.....one guy in a thousand.....and because DW did it, then it supports the theory that Woody or Joey will be ready to run Gus's offense ?

Aside from your two suppositions I guess i would like to toss in clueless as a third reason.

i don't think anyone is already "absolutely convinced" that a true freshman is going to take over the offense. My OP was simply asking what IF Woody is the most talented QB come Clemson. Would it be in his (and AU's) best interest to throw him immediately to the wolves on week 1? Would the coaches do that when we've got at least decent experience and talent at position already

i could also pick out about 5-10 throws that white made during the a day game that were great passes, not so much on jf3's part. The SW highlight video that was posted in this thread seems to do a good job of proving SW's accuracy (I know it's a highlight film but still)

SW can really spin it. Very accurate as well.

I think Sean's pocket awareness and ability to keep his eyes downfield while being pressured impresses me the most.

I'm not trying to argue is he good or not I guess I'm saying I don't know if he's as good and the expectations are too much or normal play is built up to be so great that it will be a big let down. Like the arky game was bad but people always bring up that game like that happened all the time. I would think the way people talk about sw accuracy hell be a 70% passer or I'd see some passes that were extraordinary like threw a window that if it was off the slightest it couldn't have been completed....I don't see that. I see that he usually check down and make the safe play (much rather have that than an int btw). I think he plays a nice game manager type of way. But I don't think he plays like that ole miss guy. He's more of a risk taker. When people talk about jj, yeah I know he has size and I've heard he has a big arm....But I don't or haven't seen it during the game so it doesn't matter IMO. I'll give him one thing he throws a nice deep ball but if that's not open....well the other team usually is....

I mean let's admit jj is pretty damn bad....I just wonder how is it you can't beat him out if you're super good. My conclusion is you're doing something that you're not. Expectations from fans is steady rising though, especially because you don't want to see the guy that was starting keep on messing up games....Then when he actually play a good team...well in the beginning it will be other people fault like wr's. Then coaches, then the meltdown but in reality you didn't have an all star player in the first place and you're actually mad that you thought you did

I think Sean's pocket awareness and ability to keep his eyes downfield while being pressured impresses me the most.

I'll have to see him play a team that has a good pass rush before I can say that personally. Well the pocket awareness part because I didn't like some things he did against Georgia but at the same time he was hurt. The keeping his eyes downfield I can agree with though

You can pick a throw out from anybody though. I'd like to see all the qb's have like an entire half to just play. I know we can't see that though. To be honest I haven't seen jj's amazing arm strength or sw amazing accuracy since they've

been playing....I just wonder if our expectations are too high because of hype from off season then when it's game time we are all befuddled, or lying to ourselves about what we wanted a guy to be

i could also pick out about 5-10 throws that white made during the a day game that

were great passes, not so much on jf3's part. The SW highlight video that was posted in this thread seems to do a good job of proving SW's accuracy (I know it's a highlight film but still)

I'm not trying to argue is he good or not I guess I'm saying I don't know if he's as good and the expectations are too much or normal play is built up to be so great that it will be a big let down. Like the arky game was bad but people always bring up that game like that happened all the

time. I would think the way people talk about sw accuracy hell be a 70% passer or I'd see some passes that were extraordinary like threw a window that if it was off the slightest it couldn't have been completed....I don't see that. I see that he usually check down and make the safe play (much rather have that than an int btw). I

think he plays a nice game manager type of way. But I don't think he plays like that ole miss guy. He's more of a risk taker. When people talk about jj, yeah I know he has size and I've heard he has a big arm....But I don't or haven't seen it

during the game so it doesn't matter IMO. I'll give him one thing he throws a nice deep ball but if that's not open....well the other team usually is....

I mean let's admit jj is pretty damn bad....I just wonder how is it you can't beat him out if you're super good. My conclusion is you're doing something that you're not. Expectations from fans is steady rising though, especially because

you don't want to see the guy that was starting keep on messing up games....Then when he actually play a good team...well in the beginning it will be other people fault like wr's. Then coaches, then the meltdown but in reality you didn't have an all star player in the first place and you're actually mad that you thought you did

All correct. The short version is our current QBs are very average.

Great point Bird. Time will only make him better.

I think that the injury last season limited SW both in playing time and in demonstrating his abilities. If he had a full season to progress and settle into the roll of QB, I truly think we would not be having a discussion about who the starting QB will be this season.

I think that the injury last season limited SW both in playing time and in demonstrating his abilities. If he had a full season to progress and settle into the roll of QB, I truly think we would not be having a discussion about who the starting QB will be this season.

Agree. Time will tell.

^I just don't think SW is the answer, unless the "no separation" thing is just coach speak and he really has "separated" himself from at least JJ. If they really can't make a decision between the two, EJ is really our only hope, and Gus's to keep his job.

If Gus is gone at the end of this year, should we go after a JUCO QB for 2017 just in case WB isn't ready (even if he is, it's good to have a backup plan, rite)?

Guest NC1406

Sean White highlights from last year

The video has been blocked on my YouTube due to copyright violations. Is there another link where I can view this?

+1 Sean's going to be fine IMO. He'll have a rough go of it against Clemson, but so would any QB that has to face them right out of the gate.

+1 Sean's going to be fine IMO. He'll have a rough go of it against Clemson, but so would any QB that has to face them right out of the gate.

You are most likely correct. Them again, AU might surprise...

^I just don't think SW is the answer, unless the "no separation" thing is just coach speak and he really has "separated" himself from at least JJ. If they really can't make a decision between the two, EJ is really our only hope, and Gus's to keep his job.

If Gus is gone at the end of this year, should we go after a JUCO QB for 2017 just in case WB isn't ready (even if he is, it's good to have a backup plan, rite)?

SW started the bowl game over a healthy JJ who had by coaches comments had a solid prep work for the bowl. And based on the plays and how the game unfolded SW was the preferred choice. I feel coaches have more trust in SW to effectively lead the offense and keep the chains moving.

i don't think anyone is already "absolutely convinced" that a true freshman is going to take over the offense. My OP was simply asking what IF Woody is the most talented QB come Clemson. Would it be in his (and AU's) best interest to throw him immediately to the wolves on week 1? Would the coaches do that when we've got at least decent experience and talent at position already

I don't think so, regardless of talent. At any other position, yeah, take a shot. But QB isn't just any position, and throwing a true freshman to the wolves, especially game 1, is asking for trouble.

Archived