Gus says more of a Football Coach and less of an CEO this Season

AU-24

The real issue is execution, regardless of who lines up on the LOS. The coaches are directly responsible for having the team executing the offense. If you don't have someone executing you replace them, if you have more than one player not executing, then you change the way you practice. It really is that simple, this game is not that hard, you just out execute the other team, JMHO. If i am wrong please advise of YOUR opinion.

Easier said than done in this conference. Gus hasn't only gone up against some of the best talent in the country, he's had to go up against some well seasoned tactician coaches too. Some programs have the luxury of replacing players on their squad without a second thought if their starters aren't executing. We will get to that point someday.

Gus is still learning what it takes to coach in the mighty SEC - he doesn't have his own system yet. He needs a few more years at AU to get his process in place. I think by 2019-2020 we'll know what we have in Gus.

SERIOUSLY? Gus doesn't have the luxury to replace players? ONLY THREE teams in the nation have had four straight top 10 recruiting classes: UAT, FSU and AUBURN! if ANYONE in the West should be able to reload talent as easily as bama it is AUBURN. 2019? You mean I have to wait through three more years of mediocrity to watch my Alma Mater compete? Who are you really? Kristi Malzahn? Auburn is one of the three most talented teams in the nation. Last year was not a talent or depth issue.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real issue is execution, regardless of who lines up on the LOS. The coaches are directly responsible for having the team executing the offense. If you don't have someone executing you replace them, if you have more than one player not executing, then you change the way you practice. It really is that simple, this game is not that hard, you just out execute the other team, JMHO. If i am wrong please advise of YOUR opinion.

Easier said than done in this conference. Gus hasn't only gone up against some of the best talent in the country, he's had to go up against some well seasoned tactician coaches too. Some programs have the luxury of replacing players on their squad without a second thought if their starters aren't executing. We will get to that point someday.

Gus is still learning what it takes to coach in the mighty SEC - he doesn't have his own system yet. He needs a few more years at AU to get his process in place. I think by 2019-2020 we'll know what we have in Gus.

SERIOUSLY? Gus doesn't have the luxury to replace players? ONLY THREE teams in the nation have had four straight top 10 recruiting classes: UAT, FSU and AUBURN! if ANYONE in the West should be able to reload talent as easily as bama it is AUBURN. 2019? You mean I have to wait through three more years of mediocrity to watch my Alma Mater compete? Who are you really? Kristi Malzahn? Auburn is one of the three most talented teams in the nation. Last year was not a talent or depth issue.

Hahahaha -- no, I'm not Mrs. Kristi.

Some folks believe last year's debacle was an execution issue, some believe it was a QB issue, Gus said it wasn't a QB issue.....so who knows?

I just think he's still learning how to field a competitive team in the toughest conference in the country. And if after 3 season's he thinks he needs to get back to his roots and get more hands on then it may take another few years to see if he has what it takes to lead this Auburn program.

Eventually all of these top 10 recruiting classes have to result in consistent 10 top rated teams at the end of the year, right? Right?

Last year had talent and depth issues, along with other issues. Part of that is because Gus is still learning, and part of that is because our biggest rivals play dirty.

In 2013, Gus sold out on the zone read offense. He recruited heavily for it, which included recruiting a lot of athletes who could play multiple roles. Then the unthinkable happened, he was only able to land pocket passers for several recruiting classes. That forced us into a passing offense last year, with limited options at receiver. Yes, he had brought Duke in the previous year, to help boost that group, but Sammie leaving and Duke losing his mind left us thin and less talented at a key area required for our current group of QBs. (Side note: I think Gus is having trouble adjusting to having players who leave early. You really get the feeling, when you look at both 2011 and 2015 that we could have been world beaters if everyone had stayed.)

Then you have Linebacker, where we are facing the "anywhere but Auburn" recruiting tactics of our neighbors who seem to know no bounds to what they will do to keep Auburn from landing top linebackers.

Last year, Gus learned his mistake and recruited lights out for receivers. I don't think you'll see another class where we don't go for at least a couple top receivers again. This year, he's trying to fix linebacker, and fortunately, we've had some transfers and a few recruits come into their own in the Spring, so we should be better.

I think having top 10 recruiting classes has hurt as much as helped in some cases. We pass on a lesser talent who could really help in an area of need to get the highly rated guy for a lesser area of need. If we can get all aspects of the team clicking, we can do that, but until we do, i think it would be better for us to focus more on need than stars. Gus seems to have figured that out with where he has focused recruiting since the end of the season.

I think Keesler is right, I think it will be another 3-4 years before Gus has really established who he is in the SEC and as a head coach. That being said, because of the dynamic nature of his offense and his uncanny ability to mold his offense around the strength of his best players, even while he's finding himself, we could sneak in and win another trophy or two.

Look at Mark Richt, hell of a coach but has he come close to what Gus has done? No. The SEC is tough. Saben is very involved in the offense also. He is a coach first and CEO second. I think Gus learned his lesion. I see the too many personalities thing and that's why he brought in HiS guys IMO... What he and Hand done together at Tulsa was very very good. We now have system guys and I think it makes teaching the system much easier.

Look at Mark Richt, hell of a coach but has he come close to what Gus has done? No. The SEC is tough. Saben is very involved in the offense also. He is a coach first and CEO second. I think Gus learned his lesion. I see the too many personalities thing and that's why he brought in HiS guys IMO... What he and Hand done together at Tulsa was very very good. We now have system guys and I think it makes teaching the system much easier.

Richt hasn't come close to what Gus has done? Also, I don't think being a "CEO" and a head coach are mutually exclusive. You aren't one or the other. CEO is more of a descriptor for how some approach head coaching.

I'm with you on Hand though.

It's refreshing to hear Gus recognize the need to pull back and focus more on coaching. He's learning on the job. He didn't come to Auburn a finished product like Saban did to Alabama. Accept it.

For what it's worth...

Offense / QBs - QB was not the only reason for last year's slippage. It was a perfect storm. #1, the WRs were not consistent (or really talented enough for that matter), in getting open, catching, AND blocking, #2, HB's and TE's were young and woefully inexperienced. #3, the OL was only adequate, and #4, while Barber was serviceable, the RBs were not the healthiest. That combination made them inconsistent, with a lack of explosive plays, and a QB who looked average at best (JJ/SW). My take on QB development is this. Nick Marshall is all the proof I need. Evaluation is the problem. Whatever methods were used to reasonably predict how JJ was going to perform were a complete failure. This is not an indictment on his character or work ethic, but JJ was a deer in the head lights. As others have said, we saw the same thing with Kiehl Frazier. You can't have a QB throwing over and over into obvious double or triple coverage. That's not mechanics, or throwing motion. So what if the receivers aren't open? Throw it away. Play another down. If it means pulling off the orange jersey in practice to find out who can SEE the field, perform basic progressions, and has a natural feel for the game under pressure, so be it. I actually think it would help toughen up JJ if he would lower his shoulder and punish the defense once in a while. Clear his mind and ease some of that anxiety he shows. Countless times the perimeter was wide open if he had kept the ball. Unless he starts demonstrating better field awareness, decision making, and aggressiveness, my vote is for SW. You can't be tentative.

Recruiting - Half the league is in the top 15 every year. Yes, there's talent. Just not enough in the right places. While 4 straight top 10 classes are great, it is critical for ALL position needs to be filled more consistently. That's tough to do against Jawja, the updykes, corn dogs, and gators, The primary universities in those states. What coach at Auburn ever has? Dye? The uphill battle is what it is. At least the last two classes finally started addressing needs at LB, WR, DE, and DL. DCraig got a group of bonafide WRs, not converted QBs. TRob and Muschamp got some bonafide LBs and secondary players (not players converted from other positions). And thank goodness for RGarner. The benefits of this new talent won't be fully realized until next year.

Play calling - It's a talent. While everyone wants to dump on Lashlee, remember, the HUNH is largely Gus' own creation. Based on what we had to work with on offense last year, I'm not sure a Petrino or a Kiffin, as gifted as they are, would have the same success. I don't think Bill Walsh could have done better. I still think Lashlee's input is critical. It was one sub par year. Come on.

Defense - Definitely heading in the right direction. As far as the SEC is concerned, there is a lot of QB turnover. We have a chance to be very, very good.

Place kicking - Terrific.

Punting - Last year, was a disappointment. Punt for punt, the opposition consistently gained field position. Yes our offense was pedestrian, but punting didn't help the situation. Improvement needed here.

Kickoff and Punt coverage, Don't recall enough to judge, but seemed ok. I wish we had Craig Sanders and Demetrice McNeal back.

Coaching - Overachieving players tend to be hungry, top notch coaches. That's I why love Kodi and TWill. Kodi turned himself into one helluva a blocker and a pretty decent clutch possession receiver. He knows what it takes to learn the WR position from the ground up. Fundamentals. TWill's career as a player speaks for itself. Their ability to recruit will be the big question. The rest of the staff is a pretty good mix.

Overall - While the last two years have been frustrating, at least the team has been competitive in most every game with a chance to win. I hope 2014 & 2015 are the low end of the threshold for Gus. 2010 & 2013 tells us what he's capable of against the toughest league in America.

Be patient. Stay the course.

A lot of the blame for how the team last year does go to the head coach.

I am shocked by this.......

Au4ever is really a wise man who says a lot with only a few words. What exactly is a Royal Rogue Booster?

I sense sarcasm. 2019-2020? If they keep slopping around like the last 2 years, ticket sales will plummet , big money donors will quit, etc. We know what we have right now, a coach that's in over his head that we all pray can figure out what he's supposed to be doing .

If not for 2 of the most fantastic and improbable plays in CFB history, we wouldn't have beaten bammer or ugag since 2010 (with the greatest player in CFB history). We are fast heading toward irrelevancy.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Win football games . That's you're only job and you're getting paid a king's ransom to do it.

Now shut up and perform.

'Cause that's so easy to do...

Earn his $4million. It's not easy. That's why he's paid more per year than most people earn in a lifetime. Shut up and earn it Gus .

Gus has a world of potential to become a coach of legendary status. I think in a season or so, we will be in the thick of things for the conference championship. Being in this elite group puts us in the thick of the NC.

I sense sarcasm. 2019-2020? If they keep slopping around like the last 2 years, ticket sales will plummet , big money donors will quit, etc. We know what we have right now, a coach that's in over his head that we all pray can figure out what he's supposed to be doing .

If not for 2 of the most fantastic and improbable plays in CFB history, we wouldn't have beaten bammer or ugag since 2010 (with the greatest player in CFB history). We are fast heading toward irrelevancy.

I am so sick and tired of hearing how we won our last 2 games of the 2013 by luck without giving any credit for what actually happened. The UGA game would not have come down to an improbable catch if the refs had done their job by turning the ball over to us when the UGA QB clearly did not get the needed yardage. That would most likely have sealed the game for us. Yes, the play was a rare one indeed. Our offense played well that game with putting up a lot of points and yardage.

The bammer game: Why do folks tend to forget that we had come back to tie the game with great offensive play and a tenacious defense that did not give up. We would have gone into overtime with the turds if not for the FG runback for the TD. No one knows, what would have happened in OT. We could have scored and put the game away in OT. We deserved to be in the NC game, and should have won that game. No more luck folks just good football like we played throughout the 2013 season.

I am so sick and tired of hearing how we won our last 2 games of the 2013 by luck without giving any credit for what actually happened. The UGA game would not have come down to an improbable catch if the refs had done their job by turning the ball over to us when the UGA QB clearly did not get the needed yardage. That would most likely have sealed the game for us. Yes, the play was a rare one indeed. Our offense played well that game with putting up a lot of points and yardage.

The bammer game: Why do folks tend to forget that we had come back to tie the game with great offensive play and a tenacious defense that did not give up. We would have gone into overtime with the turds if not for the FG runback for the TD. No one knows, what would have happened in OT. We could have scored and put the game away in OT. We deserved to be in the NC game, and should have won that game. No more luck folks just good football like we played throughout the 2013 season.

I said "fantastic and improbable"

I don't think I used the word "luck"

Hahahaha -- no, I'm not Mrs. Kristi.

Some folks believe last year's debacle was an execution issue, some believe it was a QB issue, Gus said it wasn't a QB issue.....so who knows?

I just think he's still learning how to field a competitive team in the toughest conference in the country. And if after 3 season's he thinks he needs to get back to his roots and get more hands on then it may take another few years to see if he has what it takes to lead this Auburn program.

Eventually all of these top 10 recruiting classes have to result in consistent 10 top rated teams at the end of the year, right? Right?

To me, the top 10 recruiting classes need to start producing. I agree with you. Even Gus mentioned that fans expect a return investment on the talent brought in. QB was an issue. Bottom line is we will probably never really know what happened last year. Bad coaching? Poor evaluation of talent? Allowed JJ to buy into the hype? Gave control to Lashlee to soon? Question mark after question mark we will never know, but I do expect Auburn with the facilities, a HC making 4 million, and huge recruiting budget, to be A LOT more consistent the they have been.

In the military you will hear people ask "Do you know what the maximum effective range of an excuse is? ZERO"

Like for certain posters on ITAT, this board has certain posters and certain Mods that have a problem accepting reality (or at least admitting reality on a message board).

wde

biggest rivals play dirty.

In 2013, Gus sold out on the zone read offense. He recruited heavily for it, which included recruiting a lot of athletes who could play multiple roles. Then the unthinkable happened, he was only able to land pocket passers for several recruiting classes. That forced us into a passing offense last year, with limited options at receiver. Yes, he had brought Duke in the previous year, to help boost that group, but Sammie leaving and Duke losing his mind left us thin and less talented at a key area required for our current group of QBs. (Side note: I think Gus is having trouble adjusting to having players who leave early. You really get the feeling, when you look at both 2011 and 2015 that we could have been world beaters if everyone had stayed.)

I think having top 10 recruiting classes has hurt as much as helped in some cases. We pass on a lesser talent who could really help in an area of need to get the highly rated guy for a lesser area of need. If we can get all aspects of the team clicking, we can do that, but until we do, i think it would be better for us to focus more on need than stars. Gus seems to have figured that out with where he has focused recruiting since the end of the season.

First off, you don't ever need to mention that our rivals play dirty, thats already understood.

But you are probably spot on with recruiting. Gus signed the top high school fullback in the country two years in a row to help run the read-option but brought in pro-style QB's both classes. We will never know what Gus was thinking on that one. Just makes me scratch my head. I can also see Gus not anticipating attrition. He has learned a few hard lessons these last two years, maybe that is another one of them.

Lastly, as far as the talent of our recruiting classes having hurt us, I remember when Chizik finally assembled his staff. Reporters were interviewing Trooper Taylor who was the recruiting coordinator, he stated that you should NEVER pass on a highly rated player that is interested in your program even if you don;t have a need for that position. I wonder if Gus picked up a bad habit from Trooper McShady?

But you are probably spot on with recruiting. Gus signed the top high school fullback in the country two years in a row to help run the read-option but brought in pro-style QB's both classes. We will never know what Gus was thinking on that one. Just makes me scratch my head. I can also see Gus not anticipating attrition. He has learned a few hard lessons these last two years, maybe that is another one of them.

The failure to anticipate attrition is on him, but I don't blame him for the failure to sign a quality dual threat QB to go with the rest of the read-option centric players he was recruiting. We tried to get some top dual threats and they went elsewhere. Was it a failure of the coach who was recruiting them? Was it because they saw a team that was run focused and believed that would hurt their chances with the NFL? Was it because they were sold on the idea that, outside of Cam Newton, QBs in Gus's offense don't make it to the next level? Heck, I recall with one player (I believe it was our good friend Jameis), a message board leak tanked our recruiting effort. In the end, who knows. All we know for certain is that we tried to get QBs who fit what he was building and whiffed. Hopefully he's learned that he can't be so laser focused and has to have enough of every type of player to support whatever type of QB we do land.

Lastly, as far as the talent of our recruiting classes having hurt us, I remember when Chizik finally assembled his staff. Reporters were interviewing Trooper Taylor who was the recruiting coordinator, he stated that you should NEVER pass on a highly rated player that is interested in your program even if you don;t have a need for that position. I wonder if Gus picked up a bad habit from Trooper McShady?

I would have to say, yes... at least he picked it up form Chizik's staff in general. Gus's only experience recruiting in the SEC was when he was our OC and I believe he learned some bad habits. Hopefully he's figured out that we need to stop completing with bama for the "trophy" in February and focus on getting the right kinds of players to compete with them in November.

Like for certain posters on ITAT, this board has certain posters and certain Mods that have a problem accepting reality (or at least admitting reality on a message board).

wde

Yep. I get his point-we played great in those games. But those 2 plays were both fantastic and highly improbable. Louis kind of made his own luck by not losing focus and Ellis Johnson put us in a position to return the failed FG. You get my point though. If not for those 2 plays-Gus would be gone at the end of this year. I hope he stays at least one more year, which is where you and I differ. The turnover is killing us.

wde

Yep. I get his point-we played great in those games. But those 2 plays were both fantastic and highly improbable. Louis kind of made his own luck by not losing focus and Ellis Johnson put us in a position to return the failed FG. You get my point though. If not for those 2 plays-Gus would be gone at the end of this year. I hope he stays at least one more year, which is where you and I differ. The turnover is killing us.

I do get your point and yes we do differ on what happens after 2016. I also agree the turnover is killing us, but why enable mediocrity? Are we just waiting on Saban to die or retire?

wde

The 2013 season was magical, improbable and amazing. When you look back, we could have lost miss st, atm, Uga and uat games that year. We would be 8-5 and who knows what would have happened. However, that's not what happened and football takes a little luck or whatever else you want to call it.

Nevertheless, I'm sure if our records in the last 3 years were 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, we probably would have major discussions about another coach. But Gus was 13 seconds away from a natl championship and he gets a little more grace. Time will tell if the last year and a half were the aberration or the pattern.

I find the endless debate about what could've happened or what will happen before this season plays out to be tiresome and unnecessary.

I would like to add that as much as I hate him and them, Saban and Uat have set the bar almost impossibly high, save for maybe Ohio state, so comparing us or any team to their success will lead to frustration. I don't think it matters who we bring in we may struggle in comparison. There I said it. That doesn't mean that we are 'enabling mediocrity.'

I would like to add that as much as I hate him and them, Saban and Uat have set the bar almost impossibly high, save for maybe Ohio state, so comparing us or any team to their success will lead to frustration. I don't think it matters who we bring in we may struggle in comparison. There I said it. That doesn't mean that we are 'enabling mediocrity.'

Since the enabling mediocrity is referring to my post I will respond. Enabling mediocrity in my opinion is accepting 2015 in year three of a HC's tenure as acceptable and giving that same HC a pass in 2016 just because we won the SEC Championship and played for the BCSC in 2013-14. The trend both on and off of the field has been down since the 2013 year. In 2014, our O was very good but the D sucked. However, chinks in the armor for the O (redzone proficiency) and lack of discipline within the program started to present themselves in 2014. The effort against Georgia in 2014 was inexcusable. The entire 2015 season speaks for itself.

I totally get that as long a Saban is spuat is the HC, spuat will consistently win at least ten games every year. However, we should be able to at least be competitive on the field with uga.

wde

. But Gus was 13 seconds away from a natl championship and he gets a little more grace. Time will tell if the last year and a half were the aberration or the pattern.

So I am new here and I know this is not the post to ask this question, but has the 21-3 lead Gus squandered against FSU been addressed. Everyone keeps saying within 13 seconds of a NC but they don't bring up how Auburn was kicking FSU's teeth in then blew it. Same thing happened with UGA that year but we got the Prayer at Jordan Hare. Also happened with Ole Miss that year too.

. But Gus was 13 seconds away from a natl championship and he gets a little more grace. Time will tell if the last year and a half were the aberration or the pattern.

So I am new here and I know this is not the post to ask this question, but has the 21-3 lead Gus squandered against FSU been addressed. Everyone keeps saying within 13 seconds of a NC but they don't bring up how Auburn was kicking FSU's teeth in then blew it. Same thing happened with UGA that year but we got the Prayer at Jordan Hare. Also happened with Ole Miss that year too.

Blowing leads like that is what we have been doing Gus has been on campus -- even as an OC. Yeah, we were 13 seconds away at the end. But if we cover a damn fake punt in the first half and even just get a FG out of that we pretty much take FSU's soul right then and there and we can get everyone's rings fitted during halftime lol

There were a handful of plays where if we just MADE THE PLAY it would've changed the outcome of that game. I guess such is the case in every game, though.

Archived