Gus says more of a Football Coach and less of an CEO this Season

AU-24

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Win football games . That's you're only job and you're getting paid a king's ransom to do it.

Now shut up and perform.

'Cause that's so easy to do...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win football games . That's you're only job and you're getting paid a king's ransom to do it.

Now shut up and perform.

Winner for douchbag post of the week! Congrats! smh

Now shut up and perform.

Hahaha

We really should keep track of those and put it to a vote

Now shut up and perform.

Example of a kings ransom? It's been a minute since we had a king in these parts. :)

A lot of the blame for how the team last year does go to the head coach.

surely you jest.

No, Shirley's serious.

Now shut up and perform.

Example of a kings ransom? It's been a minute since we had a king in these parts. :)

But we do have a couple of Princes and a President.

Now shut up and perform.

He wins a lot of those.....but, don't feed the troll.

I'll be glad to see Gus get back to his roots. Each year as a HC he has gotten more conservative, and perhaps reliant on assistant coaches. I'd like to see him return to the unpredictable risk-taker that brought him into the spotlight in the first place.

I'll be glad to see Gus get back to his roots. Each year as a HC he has gotten more conservative, and perhaps reliant on assistant coaches. I'd like to see him return to the unpredictable risk-taker that brought him into the spotlight in the first place.

I agree with all of this.

wde

I agree with all of this.

wde

That is very accurate. Great article. This goes back to everyone's HC in training comments. Although I think the SEC is the last place you need to come to to be a HC in training if Gus has learned that he has strayed away from his roots then he may very quickly right the ship. QB was a major problem, but it was only ONE problem. The disappearance of Jovon Robinson for the second half of the UGA game still has me scratching my head.

Personally, i think Gus gave the offense to Rhett last year. Rhett does not run Gus' offence the way GUS runs his offense. Gus will get the O running on all cylinders again and Auburn will start picking up wins.

Surely Gus was is wrong on this. I know it for a fact that the whole down fall of AU football last year was due to the QB position. It has to be fact, I have read it on here and every other message board. Someone call Gus and tell him that it was not the coaches fault at all. It was just the QBs. Without them we would have had a NC. :dunno:

I heard this past weekend from someone who was in all of them that Gus was not in any of the QB meetings during the season last year. So yeah....

Surely Gus was is wrong on this. I know it for a fact that the whole down fall of AU football last year was due to the QB position. It has to be fact, I have read it on here and every other message board. Someone call Gus and tell him that it was not the coaches fault at all. It was just the QBs. Without them we would have had a NC. :dunno:

I heard this past weekend from someone who was in all of them that Gus was not in any of the QB meetings during the season last year. So yeah....

I don't believe that for one minute. Gus saw early on that his starting QB was in deep water, why wouldn't he choose to be involved in the meetings, especially when JJ was benched and a SW had to take over?

This is exactly how you grow as a coach. When you can publicly admit to making a mistake such as this, it speaks volumes. I'm even more confident in Malzahn to right the ship than I was before after reading that quote. He's still learning how to be a major college coach and this is a huge step in that growth, IMO.

"It wasn't just the quarterback last year," said Malzahn, whose Tigers slipped to ninth in the SEC in both scoring offense and total offense in league games. "I know the quarterback is the focal point and all that. We just didn't execute as a whole, and that falls on me. I tried to be a CEO, and I'm a football coach. I can promise you we'll execute better on offense this year."

Agree. Some people try to do too much instead of doing what got them to that point. It's an an easy mistake to make.

I don't believe that for one minute. Gus saw early on that his starting QB was in deep water, why wouldn't he choose to be involved in the meetings, especially when JJ was benched and a SW had to take over?

You saw how it ended right?

What I saw and what this article says, seem to make a plausible, abeit inexcusable, explanation for what went on last year.

^THIS^ Please get back to why we wanted you in the first place! PLEASE!

Well, this actually made me feel better. Let's see if it translates to the field.

Boy, if it ends up that Rhett just blew one of our seasons where we were positioned well enough to be in the playoffs from the start of the year...I'll SMH eternally

Well, this actually made me feel better. Let's see if it translates to the field.

Boy, if it ends up that Rhett just blew one of our seasons where we were positioned well enough to be in the playoffs from the start of the year...I'll SMH eternally

..Rhett did not blow it...and I don't think anyone could have saved Jeremy's bubble guts, Duke's meltdown, or Lawson's injury. Not to mention inexperience and new starters in a lot of key areas. The offense did not run as one would expect an Malzahn offense to run. That could factually be a result of Rhett calling plays or not. But is is good to see Gus getting back in the drivers seat.

The real issue is execution, regardless of who lines up on the LOS. The coaches are directly responsible for having the team executing the offense. If you don't have someone executing you replace them, if you have more than one player not executing, then you change the way you practice. It really is that simple, this game is not that hard, you just out execute the other team, JMHO. If i am wrong please advise of YOUR opinion.

Well said. Why he couldn't have just been moved to replace Bentley, I'll never know.

The real issue is execution, regardless of who lines up on the LOS. The coaches are directly responsible for having the team executing the offense. If you don't have someone executing you replace them, if you have more than one player not executing, then you change the way you practice. It really is that simple, this game is not that hard, you just out execute the other team, JMHO. If i am wrong please advise of YOUR opinion.

There u have it ...coaching in the SEC 101

Easier said than done in this conference. Gus hasn't only gone up against some of the best talent in the country, he's had to go up against some well seasoned tactician coaches too. Some programs have the luxury of replacing players on their squad without a second thought if their starters aren't executing. We will get to that point someday.

Gus is still learning what it takes to coach in the mighty SEC - he doesn't have his own system yet. He needs a few more years at AU to get his process in place. I think by 2019-2020 we'll know what we have in Gus.

Easier said than done in this conference. Gus hasn't only gone up against some of the best talent in the country, he's had to go up against some well seasoned tactician coaches too. Some programs have the luxury of replacing players on their squad without a second thought if their starters aren't executing. We will get to that point someday.

Gus is still learning what it takes to coach in the mighty SEC - he doesn't have his own system yet. He needs a few more years at AU to get his process in place. I think by 2019-2020 we'll know what we have in Gus.

With respect, i'm not sure i agree. The fact that Gus came into the conference and did well immediately shows me his style of play will work and can win. The big difference is the way the team is executing. That is why Gus can take different style QBs and win with either. His offense is predicated on Speed, Tempo, Execution and Momentum, if one of these aren't firing on all cylinders then the offense is hindered. When they are, then the offense is very difficult to stop. The biggest problem last year was the the element of execution. Again with Gus excelling so quickly in the SEC proved that HE can win in this league. I believe in Gus and believe he will win again, we all understand this conference isn't easy to win on a regular basis. JMHO

With respect, i'm not sure i agree. The fact that Gus came into the conference and did well immediately shows me his style of play will work and can win. The big difference is the way the team is executing. That is why Gus can take different style QBs and win with either. His offense is predicated on Speed, Tempo, Execution and Momentum, if one of these aren't firing on all cylinders then the offense is hindered. When they are, then the offense is very difficult to stop. The biggest problem last year was the the element of execution. Again with Gus excelling so quickly in the SEC proved that HE can win in this league. I believe in Gus and believe he will win again, we all understand this conference isn't easy to win on a regular basis. JMHO

Can't argue with this...good post

Archived