JJ with first team O

Charhair

I'm told at lunch that JFIII is fast but can't hit the side of a barn with the football. And he is skinny. Real skinny. Broke in half skinny.

Surely nobody will be surprised to read any of this.

At least no one who's seen a picture of the kid on the practice field.

Sorry, but there is no way JFIII starts. I don't even think he gets many snaps at QB. If anyone had the potential to do this, it was Jason Smith and he is playing WR. Jason Smith was a much better QB at this point in time than JFIII. JFIII will likely get relegated to the Mccaleb role.

This has been stance since we started recruiting him. He's the perfect fit for the Omac role. It's just a bonus that he had a chance to be a QB also. Having a guy that's a perfect fit for one role and a possibility of being a QB also made the decision to recruit him a very easy one. His talent is a win/win. I don't care either way where he ends up. His speed will be appreciated at either spot.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Review the pass Jason Smith threw in the bowl game and then it will be very clear why he was moved to WR immediately after the first few practices.

Review the pass Jason Smith threw in the bowl game and then it will be very clear why he was moved to WR immediately after the first few practices.

I never said Jason Smith should have been the QB. I simply said that he had a much better chance of winning the job than JFIII. His JUCO highlights as a QB are actually pretty decent.

I'm told at lunch that JFIII is fast but can't hit the side of a barn with the football. And he is skinny. Real skinny. Broke in half skinny.

Sorry, but there is no way JFIII starts. I don't even think he gets many snaps at QB. If anyone had the potential to do this, it was Jason Smith and he is playing WR. Jason Smith was a much better QB at this point in time than JFIII. JFIII will likely get relegated to the Mccaleb role.

If this is true then we wasted a scholarship on JFIII.

wde

I never said Jason Smith should have been the QB. I simply said that he had a much better chance of winning the job than JFIII. His JUCO highlights as a QB are actually pretty decent.

That's fair. I didn't mean to imply that you meant he should be QB. I didn't read your post carefully enough.

If this is true then we wasted a scholarship on JFIII.

wde

Disagree. See Foundation's post above. In addition to that, Jason Smith has proven to be a valuable asset despite not winning the job last year.

The DL stood out. The OL struggled.

Carlton Davis is AU's best player. Better than Lawson.

I think CD is lights out for sure, but how can that be an absolute type statement if one of the QB's can't even hit the side of the barn? And what proven WR currently does AU have that he is he locking down?

My point is, anything we hear at lunch or read on a board is opinion. I trust yours, but absolute type statements from anyone should be accepted with some level of skepticism IMO.

I was told that Davis play looks effortless and natural. He just shuts down anyone he goes against and does it with ease. And he has really taken on to the S&C part also. Bulked up and has not lost a step. Lawson is elite but I'm told Davis just has "it".

And the one QB I was talking about didn't get many, 2 or 3, snaps at QB. Most were JJ. 2 plays JF3 made some good runs after being pressured.

Tony Stevens, Kyle Davis and Slayton have all looked good. WR will not be an issue this year. IMO.

OL looked ok.

And watch out for Prince Tega. When the light comes on full he is going to dominate.

I can't remember a freshman on either side of the ball be as good as C Davis was last year for Auburn. I think he will do huge things. I hope you are right about the WR position. I don't doubt your opinion. I just have to see it happen. I hope the OT spots are not a drop off. the middle 3 should be very strong. "OK" is actually a positive as i see it while replacing both tackles.

I can't remember a freshman on either side of the ball be as good as C Davis was last year for Auburn. I think he will do huge things. I hope you are right about the WR position. I don't doubt your opinion. I just have to see it happen. I hope the OT spots are not a drop off. the middle 3 should be very strong. "OK" is actually a positive as i see it while replacing both tackles.

Just wait when Jamel Dean lines up on the other side with Davis.

Is Jamal Dean really that highly regarded???

Is Jamal Dean really that highly regarded???

Not sure on how he was previously regarded but he has made a big impression on the coaching staff.

Dinson was looking very promising too. i hope he makes it back. dont look good for'16 though(strickly based off rumors, iguess)

Dinson was looking very promising too. i hope he makes it back. dont look good for'16 though(strickly based off rumors, iguess)

I think it is a safe bet Dinson will RS 2016. It was really sad how he was injured.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a wildcat package created for him, just because of his speed.

Hadn't Jason actually taken himself out of the QB competition by this time last year? Based on all of the comments from John, I don't see him ever volunteering to walk away from QB.

I think it is a safe bet Dinson will RS 2016. It was really sad how he was injured.

Sad? I still want to see Seals-Jones kicked out of football for that crap.

I don't think Jason Smith even practiced that much at QB and was never really considered for QB. If memory serves, it seems after about a week of practice it was determined he was WR.

It certainly seems that JFIII was recruited as a QB with every opportunity to win the job. Smith was recruited as an athlete. I think JFIII was brought in for one thing; play QB.

It does befuddle me that Gus had constantly been recruiting pocket passer QBs (JJ, White, Queen).

Would you rather have a bad DT QB than a good pro style QB? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any of our QBs are "good". But this constant "we need a dual threat QB just to have a dual threat QB" refrain is so exhausting.

Also, don't talk about Johnson, White or Queen like they're statues. All of them are far more mobile than the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world.

I don't think Jason Smith even practiced that much at QB and was never really considered for QB. If memory serves, it seems after about a week of practice it was determined he was WR.

It certainly seems that JFIII was recruited as a QB with every opportunity to win the job. Smith was recruited as an athlete. I think JFIII was brought in for one thing; play QB.

Thank you. Jason Smith realistically was never going to play QB, only to be an athlete. The coaches were nice enough to give him a tryout and after a week, he bowed out. JFIII was specifically sought out to become NM 2.0. Anywho, carry on.

It does befuddle me that Gus had constantly been recruiting pocket passer QBs (JJ, White, Queen).

Would you rather have a bad DT QB than a good pro style QB? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any of our QBs are "good". But this constant "we need a dual threat QB just to have a dual threat QB" refrain is so exhausting.

Also, don't talk about Johnson, White or Queen like they're statues. All of them are far more mobile than the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world.

Exhausting is an understatement.

Thank you. Jason Smith realistically was never going to play QB, only to be an athlete. The coaches were nice enough to give him a tryout and after a week, he bowed out. JFIII was specifically sought out to become NM 2.0. Anywho, carry on.

This and if JFIII does not end up being the starting QB or somehow gets many reps at a different position (and is also a valuable contributor at the different position) then we wasted a scholly on him

wde

If i was Gus i would only recruit QBs that can run. Some of us only recall Cam and Nick and call this style "Gus' offense". That style was the exception for Gus. Not the norm. He has not been able to nail down a particular style of offense HERE yet. I think he will. I would guess he feels like a running QB is icing on the cake.

This and if JFIII does not end up being the starting QB or somehow gets many reps at a different position (and is also a valuable contributor at the different position) then we wasted a scholly on him

wde

Well, there is a silver lining to "beasts" as Pettway has put it. An Athletic beast can be used in more than one way. At the very least he can run some wildcats or sweeps and be deadly. However, if the other QBs don't pick up the pace, then yes, they are nothing more than placeholders.

Dual threat vs pocket guys....a dual threat arrives on campus ready to run. I think you can tell who is athletic enough to be a running QB while he is in high school. However, it's much harder to gauge whether a pocket passer will be able to be effective once he gets to college. At least with a dual threat he can do SOMETHING even if his passing needs tons of work. If a pocket passer can't really pass very well you quickly learn you are SOL. You don't ever have to teach a scrambling QB how to run.

Archived