JJ with first team O

Charhair

This thread is hilarious!!!

I think JJ and Roc getting the first snaps with the 1s is a good move.

Everybody knows that Jovon is our #1 tailback unless some unforeseen circumstances take place. Roc could use the reps to get better.

JF3 is still learning the basics of the O.

JJ is in his 4th year in this O. He knows it well. JF3 can watch JJs reps with the 1s and learn a lot about running the plays, timing, tempo, etc.

Steps to learning:

1. Watch it done and take notes

2. Practice with step by step instruction

3. Practice with a heavy dose of feedback

4. Do it!

5. Evaluate and do it better next time!

It is WAY TOO EARLY to start freaking out about who is taking snaps with the 1s!!!!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading most of the comments here no wonder AU athletics suck like they do right now. Just as long as we have funnel cakes and the eagle flies good most here will be satisfied. :dunno:

So overreacting from 4 spring practices is a better choice?

Overreacting? AU FINISHED LAST IN THE SEC WEST LAST YEAR. I guess as long as AU gives uat a good game everyone is happy? Keep you head in the sand. And enjoy the funnel cakes. And enjoy 6 win seasons.

Honestly that's just a dumb response. No one is sticking their head in the sand. Most everyone you reference (and I imagine Gus as well) realizes this is a make or break year for Gus. But to base your ideas for the upcoming season on 4 SPRING practices is just ridiculous.

Reading most of the comments here no wonder AU athletics suck like they do right now. Just as long as we have funnel cakes and the eagle flies good most here will be satisfied. :dunno:/>

So the fans should panick and criticize and hate on players/coaches and that will make things better? Give me a break.

This thread is hilarious!!!

I think JJ and Roc getting the first snaps with the 1s is a good move.

Everybody knows that Jovon is our #1 tailback unless some unforeseen circumstances take place. Roc could use the reps to get better.

JF3 is still learning the basics of the O.

JJ is in his 4th year in this O. He knows it well. JF3 can watch JJs reps with the 1s and learn a lot about running the plays, timing, tempo, etc.

Steps to learning:

1. Watch it done and take notes

2. Practice with step by step instruction

3. Practice with a heavy dose of feedback

4. Do it!

5. Evaluate and do it better next time!

It is WAY TOO EARLY to start freaking out about who is taking snaps with the 1s!!!!

Thank you

What it means is either jj isn't as bad as everybody says or SW isn't as good as everybody says.....

This is my point exactly. Jeremy played less "bad" than Sean in the last game, so he is going to be the first given the chance to prove he should be the starter. However, that could quickly change.

Sean was still hurt then so that's irrelevent IMO.

So, Sean should be the starter if both are healthy? Based on what?

I think it is pretty clear that Gus feels that Jeremy should be the first up to prove whether the job belongs to him or not. If he actually threw 2 more picks in practice a few days ago, then he may not hold that station for much longer though.

Granted Sean was forced into a difficult situation and maybe he will make up some ground in the spring, but I think Sean still has a long way to go to convince Gus. Do you really think he is durable enough to hold up against SEC defenses for an entire season, especially with two new starters on the OL? I think this is one of the main advantages Jeremy has over all the others and durability is very much a factor.

I think this race comes down to which one makes the fewest mistakes, is the most reliable, and is the most durable, not the one who has the most big-play potential, because I'm not convinced we have an SEC-caliber QB on the roster right now and no amount of coaching or limited play-calling is going to cover that up against SEC defenses. I want the one that gives us the best chance to win to be the starter, whether that is a senior who has not met his potential (similar to Jason Campbell coming into his senior season) or a true freshman like Woody Barrett who is not even on campus yet. Not turning the ball over is the first priority.

The reality is the QB situation right now is a hot mess that began 3 years ago when Deshaun Watson, Brandon Harris, and a number of other top QB prospects in the interim signed with other schools. This wouldn't be as big of a problem as it is if Auburn weren't in the SEC West. I don't expect any vast improvement over what we saw last season. Just finding the one who gives us steady reliable play is the best we can hope for, at least coming out of spring practice.

Mmmmm funnel cakes and ice cream...hopefully I don't miss mine while my head is in the sand. Posters here have no impact on what type of season this team will have. I can not see Gus putting a QB out there that will not help AU win. If he does he will be unemployed. And rightfully so if he makes decisions like that. If he sucked in practice like WDE's guy claimed he did - then no way he starts unless the other options are worse.

Something no one really cares to consider is that this offense and its QB thrives off of the hurry up no huddle and lightning fast pace. If we aren't going fast (or don't have a 6'6" 250lb beast at QB) our offense is nothing more than average at best. Pace takes pressure off of the QB with the running game and quick hitters in the passing game. Without fast pace, we stink. Bottom line.

Something no one really cares to consider is that this offense and its QB thrives off of the hurry up no huddle and lightning fast pace. If we aren't going fast (or don't have a 6'6" 250lb beast at QB) our offense is nothing more than average at best. Pace takes pressure off of the QB with the running game and quick hitters in the passing game. Without fast pace, we stink. Bottom line.

I don't 100% agree. Speed is certainly one of our weapons... and probably our biggest one against teams that live and die by huge defensive lines, but if you look back at 2009, 2010, and 2013, deception is also a huge weapon in the Malzhan offense. Unfortunately, deception requires execution and we haven't been executing well, consistently, since 2013. I think, if we can get this new crop of receivers to perform at their potential, both receiving and blocking, you'll see the offense step up dramatically.

As I recall, the only time we really effectively used speed as a consistent weapon is 2010.

I don't 100% agree. Speed is certainly one of our weapons... and probably our biggest one against teams that live and die by huge defensive lines, but if you look back at 2009, 2010, and 2013, deception is also a huge weapon in the Malzhan offense. Unfortunately, deception requires execution and we haven't been executing well, consistently, since 2013. I think, if we can get this new crop of receivers to perform at their potential, both receiving and blocking, you'll see the offense step up dramatically.

As I recall, the only time we really effectively used speed as a consistent weapon is 2010.

Yeah I was expecting us to play faster when Gus came back as the HC.

I think the durability aspect is over hyped. Of course you want your players to be durable but a coach isn't going to keep a kid who's better than the rest on the bench because of fear he may not be able to make it through a full season. If he's on the sideline because he's hurt he's contributing just as much if he was healthy and on the sideline due to durability concerns. I just don't think durability will be a deciding factor. If SW or JF3 out perform the other guys, they will play and it has nothing to do with their durability. Using both those guys as examples because they are the ones that need to put on some more weight. The coaches will protect them in the midst of a game with their game plan and play calling if they are concerned about the hits if one of those guys wins the job

I'm told at lunch that JFIII is fast but can't hit the side of a barn with the football. And he is skinny. Real skinny. Broke in half skinny.

NOOOOOO...thumbs down to this and what it means for our season

I'm told at lunch that JFIII is fast but can't hit the side of a barn with the football. And he is skinny. Real skinny. Broke in half skinny.

NOOOOOO...thumbs down to this and what it means for our season

Guess we know why JJ is getting reps with the #1's. Sad.

The DL stood out. The OL struggled.

Expected. Expected.

Carlton Davis is AU's best player. Better than Lawson.

WOW! That's a big statement. Could bode very well for us.

If JJ is going to be the guy...just throw Woody into the fire and lets get his development started. I'd rather take freshman mistakes from a freshman than those same mistakes as a senior. And at least Woody can run.

If you could take the strengths of all our QBs and put them together, you'd have a decent one. They all have their weaknesses that prevent each of them from being SEC caliber. Frustrating.

Give me Jeremy's size, Sean's brain, and JF3's agility/quicks all in one body. Gus has put himself in a corner...and we're wasting some of our otherwise most talented players on teams with no QB.

I've stood next to him. He is not near as thick as NM, but he also seems like he'd be much faster. If he knows how to take hits and can have an average arm, he will be fine here. Despite how much inside information you have, it's completely ok to not be a doom and gloom guy.

I think most know he is tiny....and I am not surprised by his accuracy issues...i personally don't think he will be the starter when the fighting Dabos come to town....when does Barrett get here ??

I was hoping JF3 could be NM Lite, but I was a bit worried what you said might be the case. I was really hoping Barrett would enroll for the spring (there was a possibility at one point if I'm not mistaken), so the coaches would have enough time to evaluate if the true freshman could cut it. I doubt he will be able to pick things up quickly enough in the fall to have a realistic shot. Oh well.

That's why he's working directly with Gus in practice. Unless you are in the Gus can't develop a QB camp, in which case it's JJ or SW.

so I guess the Jason smith project is off the table? AND, I understand he is limited in his reps right now, but I still don't understand why there isn't anymore hope that TQ could be a viable option if the others struggle.........

That's why he's working directly with Gus in practice. Unless you are in the Gus can't develop a QB camp, in which case it's JJ or SW.

What QB has Gus developed? Not Mustain. Not Kodi. Not Keihl Frazier. Todd maybe marginally (Todd was injured in 2008) Not Cam. N Marshall maybe marginally. SW had more QB coaching by his HS coach (who he still consults with) than he has had while at AU.

Archived