JJ with first team O

Charhair

Count me in with the crowd that can't believe the panic button is being mashed; though I'm even more surprised by the people doing the panicking. It is the fourth spring practice people, you know, the time when the entire team is mixed and matched to find the best fit??? Personally, I don't care if JJ took 100% of the first team snaps. All I care about is Gus's ability to objectively analyze his performance and decide whether he has what it takes to be a starting quarterback at Auburn. I say let him get all of the JJ out of his system now, EARLY, and be done with it. Let's solve this issue as early as possible and move on

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

85% sure seems a lot for one guy to get if they are going to be splitting reps. Lol so 3 other guys split 15% of the 1st team snaps?

Some coaches like to give first team reps to one guy one day and another the next day. That way you get a better sample size. So it still begs the question...was it just today?

JJ may just be better at rock, paper, scissors.

Somebody had to start out at 1. He finished strong (relatively), so it makes sense. They will go live after spring break and we will see who takes the reigns. I'll support whoever it is.

What did he do that was so relatively strong? Many QBs could have won the TAMU & Memphis games given the game plans & their weak defenses.

He won on the road at aTm and showed improvement as the year went on. Didn't cost us any games at the end of the year, and compared to the rest of the season, that is RELATIVELY good.

What it means is either jj isn't as bad as everybody says or SW isn't as good as everybody says.....

This is my point exactly. Jeremy played less "bad" than Sean in the last game, so he is going to be the first given the chance to prove he should be the starter. However, that could quickly change.

Sean was still hurt then so that's irrelevent IMO.

People are starved for information right now. So starved, that when the media reports JJ was #1 after their little 15 minute viewing of a freaking spring practice panic commences in here.

We have a new oline coach still learning his players ---- we have a new WR coach trying to get his feet under him ---- need I mention he entirely new defensive staff?

Have some patience ~ AU is still on a rough and bumpy road.

My guy was there the whole time. Said JJ took 85% of the snap with the 1's. I asked if JJ looked better. My guy said "hell no". No way to spin this one.

And he also said "Roc sure can spin nice".

Everything said about JJ is correct... he doesn't have it.

When Jeremy knew he was the 'for sure' back up, his frosh and sophomore seasons, he practiced lights out! The kid was unbelievable, because there was no pressure. He played loose as a goose... Now, he was the starter last year, and he's in a heated QB competition. He's cracking under pressure. And it hasn't gotten any better this spring.

On the other hand, I thought Roc looked good. Jovon deserves the bulk of the carries for sure, but they gotta find a place for Roc.

I say a slot/sweep guy... he's too good not to be out there.

FTR Altima has been at a number of practices over time. He knows of what he speaks. Have you been to any this Spring?

I hope whoever will be the QB for 2016 will win the job outright and will be the player that can win us a lot of games. Throwing up with the Kardashians is the thing to do.

People are starved for information right now. So starved, that when the media reports JJ was #1 after their little 15 minute viewing of a freaking spring practice panic commences in here.

We have a new oline coach still learning his players ---- we have a new WR coach trying to get his feet under him ---- need I mention he entirely new defensive staff?

My guy was there the whole time. Said JJ took 85% of the snap with the 1's. I asked if JJ looked better. My guy said "hell no". No way to spin this one.

Was your guy there for all the other practices? Did JJ get all the reps in those? Also, is SW 100 percent? Not trying to spin, but these are very valid questions before making judgement.

Sean has been healthy for a month per reports.

Count me in with the crowd that can't believe the panic button is being mashed; though I'm even more surprised by the people doing the panicking. It is the fourth spring practice people, you know, the time when the entire team is mixed and matched to find the best fit??? Personally, I don't care if JJ took 100% of the first team snaps. All I care about is Gus's ability to objectively analyze his performance and decide whether he has what it takes to be a starting quarterback at Auburn. I say let him get all of the JJ out of his system now, EARLY, and be done with it. Let's solve this issue as early as possible and move on

FTR I was not panicking. All I said was Sean not being w/ the ones given he was QB 1 when healthy the last half of last season. Eye brow raise meaning interesting not panicking.

Somebody had to start out at 1. He finished strong (relatively), so it makes sense. They will go live after spring break and we will see who takes the reigns. I'll support whoever it is.

What did he do that was so relatively strong? Many QBs could have won the TAMU & Memphis games given the game plans & their weak defenses.

He won on the road at aTm and showed improvement as the year went on. Didn't cost us any games at the end of the year, and compared to the rest of the season, that is RELATIVELY good.

Like I said. Didn't take much to beat TAMU with the game plan & Aggie poor D. Most of the QB's bad included would have won that one. Not saying JJ can't improve, turn around, & win the job. Just saying there was nothing relatively strong about him that game. The play calling was specifically designed for him to not mess up. If you mean relative to early in the year then yes but it could not have been much worse

Jeremy took the last snap in the bowl game and was arguably the difference in the game for Auburn.

The D was the difference in the Bowl game. JJ gets credit for not messing it up & not trying to do too much other than 1 play.

Not saying Jeremy will end up the starter in the fall, but it is certainly his job to lose at this juncture.

Just No.

Like I said. Didn't take much to beat TAMU with the game plan & Aggie poor D. Most of the QB's bad included would have won that one. Not saying JJ can't improve, turn around, & win the job. Just saying there was nothing relatively strong about him that game. The play calling was specifically designed for him to not mess up. If you mean relative to early in the year then yes but it could not have been much worse

I think you keep overlooking the word "relatively." As in compared to how he started, he finished relatively strong. SW did not finish strong or healthy.

When Jeremy knew he was the 'for sure' back up, his frosh and sophomore seasons, he practiced lights out! The kid was unbelievable, because there was no pressure. He played loose as a goose... Now, he was the starter last year, and he's in a heated QB competition. He's cracking under pressure. And it hasn't gotten any better this spring.

On the other hand, I thought Roc looked good. Jovon deserves the bulk of the carries for sure, but they gotta find a place for Roc.

FTR Altima has been at a number of practices over time. He knows of what he speaks. Have you been to any this Spring?

Is JF3 any better?

Relative to what sir?

After losing the uga I have no tolerance for this. Jj does not and will not have it. Period ever. Good coaches would not waste valuable practice time. But we don't appear to have a good coach. Que the 2-8 record vs uga. Add in lsu Bamako miss and we are irrelevant on college football. We open with Clemson. Not north west la. Practice time is valuable. Use it.

You can say that about all of SW games too then. Our qb play wasn't impressive at all this year.

Relative to what sir?

After losing the uga I have no tolerance for this. Jj does not and will not have it. Period ever. Good coaches would not waste valuable practice time. But we don't appear to have a good coach. Que the 2-8 record vs uga. Add in lsu Bamako miss and we are irrelevant on college football. We open with Clemson. Not north west la. Practice time is valuable. Use it.

Maybe you just don't understand football. JJ is talented. SW is talented. Both have been in the system. A guy that's practiced all of 4 times at Auburn will not be the starter immediately. That isn't a Gus thing or an Auburn thing, that's a football thing. Gus is a good coach. The three will have a live QB contest in a couple weeks. I fully anticipate JF3 to win, but suggesting that working on JJ is a waste of time is very wrong.

OT, but is Rudy Ford really "sick?" Because when Gus says something like that, it generally is code for "they're in trouble."

Is JF3 any better?

Unless Gus moves him to WR I assume it'll be a while before we know anything about that

Reading most of the comments here no wonder AU athletics suck like they do right now. Just as long as we have funnel cakes and the eagle flies good most here will be satisfied. :dunno:

I am taking a wait and see approach right now regarding the QB situation. If Gus starts JJ against Clemson in the opener without exposing JJ to being live in practice both in the spring and in the fall during scrimmages and we get 2015 JJ, then Gus will likely be coaching somewhere else in 2017. I will be concerned if JJ and Roc continue getting the majority of the snaps as 1st QB and RB though.

wde

Reading most of the comments here no wonder AU athletics suck like they do right now. Just as long as we have funnel cakes and the eagle flies good most here will be satisfied. :dunno:

So overreacting from 4 spring practices is a better choice?

So overreacting from 4 spring practices is a better choice?

Overreacting? AU FINISHED LAST IN THE SEC WEST LAST YEAR. I guess as long as AU gives uat a good game everyone is happy? Keep you head in the sand. And enjoy the funnel cakes. And enjoy 6 win seasons.

FTR I was not panicking. All I said was Sean not being w/ the ones given he was QB 1 when healthy the last half of last season. Eye brow raise meaning interesting not panicking.

I don't think I had you in mind when I wrote that E. You don't seem like the panicking type lol

Good grief. Settle down, WDE. It's acceptable to be critical. It's acceptable to be optimistic. Very few on this board are putting their head in the sand. If anything, this board bends toward incredible panic.

I actually had the chance to talk to someone that viewed practice (I know other folks here have been there as well), and he said Roc looked great. His take was basically that Jovon and Roc are the best/most complementary 1-2 combo we've had since at least Dyer/McCalebb and probably since two guys that neither Jovon nor Roc has earned a comparison to. It's a little early for those types of statements, but his point was: both guys look very, very good. That was echoed by Kam Pettway the other day talking about how good both dudes looked. We have to find a major role for Roc. He offers so much versatility as a pass catcher, outside/sweep player, and inside runner. I'm hoping to see him and Jovon share the field quite a bit this year.

As for the QB thing, I'll just wait to see it shake out. If JJ continues to struggle in practice, he's going to lose reps. No coach will sink their career in hopes that a kid turns it around. Personally, I think White is the guy that can make the offense go, but time will tell.

Archived