JJ with first team O

Charhair

Let's see JJ knows the Offense and is not recovering from an Injury. SW knows the Offense and is recovering from an Injury, JF3 is learning the Offense, Queen is limited in throws because of a surgery and the other QB is a walk-on. To me it seems logical at the beginning JJ is on 1st team. Does that mean he will stay there. I don't know and coaches don't know yet either. Also JJ has talent which some people have forgotten most of his issues were mental, indecisive, locking in on a receiver and throwing into coverage. If he can overcome those issues he could be one heck of a QB. I believe you will see contact on QB's during practice so we can see if he or any other QB is ready for prime time. If D-line is as good as we think we will see real pressure on QB's so could get a good read this year.

JJ's issue was he was scared to be hit. And I mean scared. Oh and he liked to throw pick 6's.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJ deserves to be with the one's right now. If he stays with the one's and no other QB gets to show what they bring to the party, then I will be disappointed. It will be a long spring and summer, time will tell.

Do what?

JJ is a senior and deserves to be out there. As the spring continues, I would expect another QB will be getting most of the reps with the one's. I believe it's just too early to draw a conclusion at this time.

Just because JJ is a senior does not mean he deserves to be the #1 guy. JJ played his way out of the #1 spot lat year. And this tells me Gus still has not learned. And I'm told JJ looked like JJ looks in practice. Just OK. Threw a couple of picks.

Yeah, I'm just trying to look at things optimistically. It is the spring and hope springs eternal. The speculation that Gus hasn't learned anything scares me also.

Has Sean White not fully recovered by now? His injury didn't require major surgery did it? It's been 4+ months, he should be pretty close to 100% by now.

JJ taking reps as the #1 is no problem for me at this point. It's only spring practice. :dunno:

JJ deserves to be with the one's right now. If he stays with the one's and no other QB gets to show what they bring to the party, then I will be disappointed. It will be a long spring and summer, time will tell.

Do what?

JJ is a senior and deserves to be out there. As the spring continues, I would expect another QB will be getting most of the reps with the one's. I believe it's just too early to draw a conclusion at this time.

Seniority can't mean crap right now w/ Gus's job likely on the line. If JJ wins the job it better be because he improved & earned it.

Let's see JJ knows the Offense and is not recovering from an Injury. SW knows the Offense and is recovering from an Injury, JF3 is learning the Offense, Queen is limited in throws because of a surgery and the other QB is a walk-on. To me it seems logical at the beginning JJ is on 1st team. Does that mean he will stay there. I don't know and coaches don't know yet either. Also JJ has talent which some people have forgotten most of his issues were mental, indecisive, locking in on a receiver and throwing into coverage. If he can overcome those issues he could be one heck of a QB. I believe you will see contact on QB's during practice so we can see if he or any other QB is ready for prime time. If D-line is as good as we think we will see real pressure on QB's so could get a good read this year.

Sean has been 100% for at least a month.

MAJOR overreaction to practice 4 of the Spring.

Honestly, if I was Gus, I would have done the exact same thing. First, it shows Jeremy that Gus has confidence in him, which is what Jeremy needs to get over his issue. Second, it keeps everyone guessing, because if it was Sean or John out there, everyone would be talking about how Jeremy was completely out of it. Finally, it's respectful to him as a senior.

I guarantee you that all 4 of our main QBs will run with the ones this Spring. Actually, if you listen to what Gus says, instead of freaking out because Jeremy was the first QB seen with the ones, things are sounding pretty positive for John right now.

things are sounding pretty positive for John right now.

This is Auburn. Everything sounds positive in the Spring. It's been 1 big fluff show the past 2 years. Whether the same or different we'll find out the truth in the Fall.

I am not going to go crazy or anything but IMO it's definitely an eye brow raiser that Sean is not w/ the 1s given he is healthy. Says nothing about JF3 right now given he is so new.

Well the guy looks great in an orange jersey. Old coaching adage, the guy who practices the best, plays the most. Unfortunately JJ. Is probably the best practice QB on the team.

This is Auburn. Everything sounds positive in the Spring. It's been 1 big fluff show the past 2 years. Whether the same or different we'll find out the truth in the Fall.

I am not going to go crazy or anything but IMO it's definitely an eye brow raiser that Sean is not w/ the 1s given he is healthy. Says nothing about JF3 right now given he is so new.

Go back and read Gus's quotes from practice. He's has singled out John for praise a couple of times. All he's really said about the others is that "they are getting better". I think it means absolutely nothing that Sean isn't with the ones this early into practice.

Go back and read Gus's quotes from practice. He's has singled out John for praise a couple of times. All he's really said about the others is that "they are getting better". I think it means absolutely nothing that Sean isn't with the ones this early into practice.

The 1 thing I have learned over the past 3 years is virtually nothing Gus says in the Spring means anything in the Fall by itself. There has to be ancillary evidence supporting what he said for it to have any meaning, which there appears to be w/ other reports of JF3 doing well.

As for Sean, how can it not be at least an eye brow raiser? He was QB1 the last half of the season when he was healthy.

That is every year leading up to the season. I'm still waiting for Philip Pierre-Louis and Deangelo Benton to show up

I'll tell you what means absolutely nothing. Anything Malzahn says about the team in public.

DING! DING! DING! DING! We have definitely had our run ins Spider but you nailed that one.

Has Sean White not fully recovered by now? His injury didn't require major surgery did it? It's been 4+ months, he should be pretty close to 100% by now.

JJ taking reps as the #1 is no problem for me at this point. It's only spring practice. :dunno:/>

Bingo...somebody cue the meltdown thread

E corrected me about SW he has been healthy for a month. So the top 2 guys after a few days of practice are the two who have been here for a while and know the offense. I don't know why anybody would expect them not to be the top 2 at the beginning. Let's give it some time before we assume Gus knows nothing about Offense. With Queen limited at this time it is really a 3 man race and until JF3 has been in the Offense for a while we don't know if he can learn enough to beat them out before the end of spring or if he is good enough to beat them out before the end of spring. The meltdown I am seeing is almost comical.

As for Sean, how can it not be at least an eye brow raiser? He was QB1 the last half of the season when he was healthy.

Because it's the 4th practice of the Spring... the order in which they try QBs out with the ones could be determined by all manner of reasons that have nothing to to with who will start in the Fall.

Because it's the 4th practice of the Spring... the order in which they try QBs out with the ones could be determined by all manner of reasons that have nothing to to with who will start in the Fall.

It's an open competition. Somebody has to go first. Might as well be JJ.

Somebody had to start out at 1. He finished strong (relatively), so it makes sense. They will go live after spring break and we will see who takes the reigns. I'll support whoever it is.

It's an open competition. Somebody has to go first. Might as well be JJ.

Exactly.

The most likely answer as WDE said is Gus being Gus. Finding QB1 should be the main goal to strive for at the end & it should be reflective in practices even in Spring. I'm all for JJ if he earns the job but there is no reason he should be in front of Sean right now.

Nor Roc in front of Jovon for that matter.

Somebody had to start out at 1. He finished strong (relatively), so it makes sense. They will go live after spring break and we will see who takes the reigns. I'll support whoever it is.

What did he do that was so relatively strong? Many QBs could have won the TAMU & Memphis games given the game plans & their weak defenses.

The most likely answer as WDE said is Gus being Gus. Finding QB1 should be the main goal to strive for at the end & it should be reflective in practices even in Spring. I'm all for JJ if he earns the job but there is no reason he should be in front of Sean right now.

Agree to disagree. I don't think anyone is "in front" of anyone right now. They are likely rotating to see where everyone is, and if you are doing that, and have to pick an order for who goes first, the most senior candidate makes plenty of sense. Plus... like I said... if Jeremy is ever going to get his confidence back, he needs the show of support that he wouldn't get if he didn't go first.

Archived