JJ with first team O

Charhair

I don't think it's black or white one way or another or he was making decisions on the sole possibility of going to the pros, but when that NFL bug was put in his ear I don't think he chose to ignore it. That level is the pinnacle of the game that Gus has dedicated his life to. I think both work hand in hand. He wanted to help NM be a better passer for the benefit of his AU offense, and if was able to succeed to a certain level it would've been a positive for his NFL coaching stock.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the 2013 season CGM set his sights on the NFL. He started stocking up on DT QB's to switch to a more pass oriented offense not dependent on the Read. He wanted to show NFL teams that his system would work at that level.

Not true.

In 2014 Gus tried to start converting his offense. He tried to force Nick Marshal to be a drop back passer against K-State and Miss State going 1-1 and the offense looking very bad. After the Miss-State loss Gus went back to the Read Option for the year.

Marshall had 17 carries for 100-yards vs. Miss State so there was no going away from the read-option. The offense had over 440-yards against MSU. It was the 5 turnovers that beat Auburn that day.

Finally with JJ at the helm and Sean White as his back up, Gus could run a more pass oriented offense. Gus spent all last off season re-tooling his offense to be run without the read-option.

The read-option has always been part of his offense at Auburn and Auburn was not going away from it in 2015. In fact, they ran elements of it against Louisville. Johnson was never going to run the ball 10-15 times per game but Auburn was never leaving the read-option look completely.

Well, JJ didn't work out, Sean White did what was asked of him, but bottom line the offense was stagnant because Gus got away from what made him great. Now, Gus has signed two dual threat QB's, brought back Herb Hand who taught him the read option, and is going to be more "hands on" because that is what got him to Auburn to begin with. Gus lost track of what made him great but appears to be headed back in that direction.

Gus Malzahn adjusts his offense to the strengths and weaknesses of his starting QB. It made sense to have a more passing flavor going into 2015 but it wasn't like they were going pass-heavy. Arkansas in 2006 ran some elements of the read-option, especially in the wildcat formation, which was a year before Malzahn and Hand worked together in 2007. As for what made him great, it developed before 2010 and Cam Newton. His offense in 2009 was the base offense of what he schemed for and witnessed at Tulsa. If anything, he changed his offense in 2010 to fit what Cam Newton did and adjusted again in 2013 for Marshall's strengths. What he was wanted to do in 2015, was the actual return to his offensive roots.

It's amazing how much sense... sense makes!!!!

Hmmm. Gus had a ton of success with the read option, which evidently put him on the NFL's radar... so he decided to change his offense? He decided to go away from what got him into the BCSCG? He thought going away from a system that was working and winning to something that might not would improve his chances of getting to the NFL?

Also, I see that some Auburn fans still think that the only thing that changed from the 2014 offense to the 2015 offense was the quarterback. And that the new quarterbacks only shortcomings were only that they weren't dual threat guys.

Good lord.

Either story could be true really

Ah, but one is predicated on the completely unfounded belief that Gus is trying to impress the NFL and making all of his decisions based on that. The other is going with the more plausible assumption that one of the most successful offensive coaches in college football was actually just trying to win and use what he had at his disposal to do it.

Logic. What a concept!!!

I don't think it's black or white one way or another or he was making decisions on the sole possibility of going to the pros, but when that NFL bug was put in his ear I don't think he chose to ignore it. That level is the pinnacle of the game that Gus has dedicated his life to. I think both work hand in hand. He wanted to help NM be a better passer for the benefit of his AU offense, and if was able to succeed to a certain level it would've been a positive for his NFL coaching stock.

The NFL is the pinnacle of the game for some people. For others, head coach in the SEC is the pinnacle... others it's a different conference or even a different division if they value work/life balance more. I've never heard a single person quote Gus as saying he has any desire what-so-ever to coach in the pros. It's a completely different game that doesn't really fit with a lot of the things he's known to care about. In fact, other than dealing with over the top fans and some people in administration, I would be willing to bet that Gus is pretty darn happy where he is and has little desire to even consider the NFL.

Nick was a MASTER at play action fakes in 2013. Look at youtube film, he really played it up - you see defenders getting wrong footed and absolutely freezing. Not so much in 2014. Not sure why, whether D's looked for it more, it wasn't stressed or what. But in that offensive scheme a dual ability QB that can freeze the D even for a second is huge.

Hmmm. Gus had a ton of success with the read option, which evidently put him on the NFL's radar... so he decided to change his offense? He decided to go away from what got him into the BCSCG? He thought going away from a system that was working and winning to something that might not would improve his chances of getting to the NFL?

Also, I see that some Auburn fans still think that the only thing that changed from the 2014 offense to the 2015 offense was the quarterback. And that the new quarterbacks only shortcomings were only that they weren't dual threat guys.

Good lord.

Like stat so eloquently detailed, Gus has always built his offense around his QB's strength.

Johnson, in nearly everyone's estimate, was supposed to be a terrific pocket passer.

Thus, there was no need for Gus to run the Zone Read or Read Option in 2015.

Johnson obviously failed to live up to expectations.

That doesn't mean Gus chose the wrong offense to utilize in 2015. He simply failed to see Johnson's implosion coming.

If he had Chad Kelly last season, the pocket passer offense would have worked.

It was simply a bust at QB, not the offense, as the pocket passer offense worked for Gus in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2012.

As for the Zone Read and Read Option success in 2010, 2013 and 2014 and why would Gus get away from that...Cam Newtons and Nick Marshalls don't grow on trees.

Hopefully, it works with Franklin this season, but I don't expect anywhere close to the success of Cam and Nick.

I would be willing to bet that Gus is pretty darn happy where he is and has little desire to even consider the NFL.

To be fair, I don't think that position is any more defensible than saying he wants to coach in the NFL. And if you look at all the guys who have been offered NFL gigs, I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of them accepted (and Gus has fairly quickly accepted every promotion he's been offered, other than the Vandy job, which he likely didn't view as such). So without having any additional information, the chances are better that Gus would go to the NFL if offered. Also, Chip Kelly was doing fine with the Eagles until he went full blown ego-maniac and took his own ship down, and still managed to find another job up there. And he's using many of the same philosophies- HUNH, the play cards, etc.- that separate Gus from a lot of NFL coaches.

So I don't find it odd at all to suggest that Gus has the NFL on his mind. He's as competitive and motivated as they come. What I find ridiculous is to suggest that wanting to go to the NFL caused him to change everything that made it possible in the first place.

The NFL is the pinnacle of the game for some people. For others, head coach in the SEC is the pinnacle... others it's a different conference or even a different division if they value work/life balance more. I've never heard a single person quote Gus as saying he has any desire what-so-ever to coach in the pros. It's a completely different game that doesn't really fit with a lot of the things he's known to care about. In fact, other than dealing with over the top fans and some people in administration, I would be willing to bet that Gus is pretty darn happy where he is and has little desire to even consider the NFL.

I value your points as I don't disagree with them at all but I was just saying it could be SOME combination of both stories.

I would be willing to bet that Gus is pretty darn happy where he is and has little desire to even consider the NFL.

To be fair, I don't think that position is any more defensible than saying he wants to coach in the NFL. And if you look at all the guys who have been offered NFL gigs, I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of them accepted (and Gus has fairly quickly accepted every promotion he's been offered, other than the Vandy job, which he likely didn't view as such). So without having any additional information, the chances are better that Gus would go to the NFL if offered. Also, Chip Kelly was doing fine with the Eagles until he went full blown ego-maniac and took his own ship down, and still managed to find another job up there. And he's using many of the same philosophies- HUNH, the play cards, etc.- that separate Gus from a lot of NFL coaches.

So I don't find it odd at all to suggest that Gus has the NFL on his mind. He's as competitive and motivated as they come. What I find ridiculous is to suggest that wanting to go to the NFL caused him to change everything that made it possible in the first place.

Right -- I don't think he would abandon everything he's done in the past for the sole purpose of getting an NFL job. Good points about Gus moving from one job to another and also Chip Kelly.

Although I do think if Chip Kelly flops even more Gus' name probably takes a hit in NFL circles as well -- even though last season did enough of that to.

After the 2013 season CGM set his sights on the NFL. He started stocking up on DT QB's to switch to a more pass oriented offense not dependent on the Read. He wanted to show NFL teams that his system would work at that level. In 2014 Gus tried to start converting his offense. He tried to force Nick Marshal to be a drop back passer against K-State and Miss State going 1-1 and the offense looking very bad. After the Miss-State loss Gus went back to the Read Option for the year. Finally with JJ at the helm and Sean White as his back up, Gus could run a more pass oriented offense. Gus spent all last off season re-tooling his offense to be run without the read-option. Well, JJ didn't work out, Sean White did what was asked of him, but bottom line the offense was stagnant because Gus got away from what made him great. Now, Gus has signed two dual threat QB's, brought back Herb Hand who taught him the read option, and is going to be more "hands on" because that is what got him to Auburn to begin with. Gus lost track of what made him great but appears to be headed back in that direction.

That's a nice story. Here's a better one. In 2014, Gus wanted to improve Nick in an area where he was deficient, so he focused more on passing in the off season. While we continued to run the read option, it was less effective since our top 2 blockers were gone, so we integrated more passing. We ran with a more pass focused attack against K-State and Mississippi State because it was a better approach to the defense they ran. We lost to Mississippi State because they were one of the best teams in the SEC that year, and our D still sucked. In 2015, we switched to a pass oriented QB offense because the dual-threat QBs that we tried to recruit in 2013-2014 chose to go to other schools, so we adjusted to the personnel we had. Unfortunately, we had one QB who couldn't get out of his head, and the other two got hurt, so not only were we pass focused, but we couldn't even risk frequent use of the read option or risk the team being lead by a walk-on. It didn't help that we hadn't recruited a high ranking, true wide receiver out of high school in years, and the one JUCO receiver we had lost his freaking mind.

So every year Gus has made strategic decisions on how to use the personnel he has at his disposal. Now that he has access to more dual threat QBs, if they can win the job, expect to see a lot more read option. If they can't, still expect to see it, since we have several QBs in the wings who can take over if #1 gets hurt.

Good post lionheart.

I have a hard time believing that after only TWO years of college head coaching experience under his belt Gus had his sights set on the NFL. And then he'd go on to retool his offense to impress the NFL and to prove that system would work in the pro's?

Right -- I don't think he would abandon everything he's done in the past for the sole purpose of getting an NFL job. Good points about Gus moving from one job to another and also Chip Kelly.

Although I do think if Chip Kelly flops even more Gus' name probably takes a hit in NFL circles as well -- even though last season did enough of that to.

JMO, but I think the NFL will more than likely take a wait 'n see approach to Chip & Gus' philosophy now that both have taken a few hits lately.

My point is that, other than the fact that he moved up the chain rapidly, everything we know about what Gus cares about runs counter to what he would have to do if he went to the NFL.

Gus loves working with the kids. He is all about creating better men while winning football games. He's said things to this affect multiple times. In the NFL, that goes out the window. There, it's all about paychecks.

He's also all about giving high school coaches their big break. That's another thing that he would have to walk away from if he went to the NFL.

Finally, let's face it. Gus ball is not built for the NFL. If he went to the pros, he'd have to change his philosophy dramatically.

Ah, but one is predicated on the completely unfounded belief that Gus is trying to impress the NFL and making all of his decisions based on that. The other is going with the more plausible assumption that one of the most successful offensive coaches in college football was actually just trying to win and use what he had at his disposal to do it.

Well then lionheartkc you can take it up with Barrett Sallee. It was his interview that I got that from. So actually, one story was predicated from a Barrett Sallee/Bleacher Report interview, the other, more plausible assumption is based on unicorns rainbows and your belief that Gus would NEVER make decisions based on his desire to move onto the NFL. Even though, part of the justification on Malzahns raise was NFL interest.

everything we know about what Gus cares about runs counter to what he would have to do if he went to the NFL.

Disagree.

Gus loves working with the kids.

Most coaches do. That's how almost all of them get started. Doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy winning Super Bowls more.

He is all about creating better men while winning football games. He's said things to this affect multiple times.

Coaches say a lot of things. And, again, I think most coaches think this way for the early phases of their careers. I bet a lot of NFL coaches miss that aspect of their job. Doesn't mean they're going back by choice.

He's also all about giving high school coaches their big break. That's another thing that he would have to walk away from if he went to the NFL.

Or he could be all about giving hot young college coaches their big break.

Finally, let's face it. Gus ball is not built for the NFL. If he went to the pros, he'd have to change his philosophy dramatically.

That's an opinion, one that has a little more evidence against it every season. Again, Chip Kelly's offense has had better results than many more traditional "NFL" offenses. Again, it's not the same as Gus's, but it uses a lot of the same core concepts that differentiate Gus from more traditional offensive minds. Half the teams in the league run some sort of read option. There are more dual threat QBs than ever. The Carolina Panthers just rode half of Gus's playbook from 2010 to the Super Bowl. Yes, they needed a Cam Newton to do it. But who knows what Gus could do with a, say, Marcus Mariota and a decent defense. Certainly none of us.

Well then lionheartkc you can take it up with Barrett Sallee. It was his interview that I got that from. So actually, one story was predicated from a Barrett Sallee/Bleacher Report interview, the other, more plausible assumption is based on unicorns rainbows and your belief that Gus would NEVER make decisions based on his desire to move onto the NFL. Even though, part of the justification on Malzahns raise was NFL interest.

I must have missed the memo when we started taking Bleacher Report seriously... Also, just because the NFL showed interest in Gus doesn't mean it was reciprocated on his part... all it means is his agent got a call or possibly even exaggerated a little to get his client (and himself) more money. As I said before, Gus has never mentioned an interest in coaching in the NFL. In fact, quite the opposite. Let's hear it from the man himself...

"To me, that's business," Malzahn told AL.com. "There's a line separation. That's business. I like the daily contact with an individual, working with them to help them reach our goals and dreams within our team -- and individually. That feeling. That goes all the way back to high school and now I've just got them a couple years older, but it still feels the same. I love high school football, I love college football. They're really close."

Malzahn grew up a Dallas Cowboys fan and considers Tom Landry one of his favorite coaches, but he's not interested in making a jump during his career.

"It's a business," he repeated. "I like the purity of the game."

Yeah, and Tubs is only leaving Oxford in a pine box. Saban has no interest in going back to the college ranks, and there was never bad blood between Malzahn and Nutt.

Asked something akin to that at his news conference in December 2011, Malzahn responded, “If you think I’m a one and done kind of guy, you don’t know me very well.” Regularly, he repeated that position.

http://arkansasnews.com/harry-king/old-hat-asu-new-coach#sthash.XklehgQh.dpuf

Asked something akin to that at his news conference in December 2011, Malzahn responded, “If you think I’m a one and done kind of guy, you don’t know me very well.” Regularly, he repeated that position.

http://arkansasnews....h.XklehgQh.dpuf

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

When Jay Jacobs is sitting in the passenger seat of a Brinks truck parked in your driveway......

The only two questions you ask is "Where do I sign?" and "When do I start?"

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

When Jay Jacobs is sitting in the passenger seat of a Brinks truck parked in your driveway......

BAHAHAHAHA

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Exactly. Jay Jacobs, Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, Arthur Blank...

Archived