JJ with first team O

Charhair

I remember leaving the Wazzou game thinking it's going to be a long year. As bad as Auburn was the year before I believe Washington State was worse. I think it was their Qb who threw 3 or 4 ints talking about how bad Nick was. It took a couple games to get the offense settled in and even at that point Nick's biggest attribute was his running. The prayer in JHS was an under thrown ball into double coverage, in the first series of the iron bowl and national championship game Nick missed wide open sure TDs. Auburn needs a QB that opens up the run.

Case in point: Chris Todd. That guy did everything that he was supposed to to maximize production.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 1980 game. Wasn't it the one in which UT was punting on first down?

On the comparison with Bama's QBs. It's not rare for them to be slow in making a decision. But they always get good play. Gus has gotten good play from our QBs until last year, so let's hold our fire a bit.

I attended the '80 game. And don't recall ut punting on first down. I do remember thousands of oranges raining down on the Volunteers as they left the field following their pre game warmup. I also remember Auburn holding Tennessee to a 3 and out on their series. And that being the only three and out.

Late in the 1973 game in Knoxville, Tennessee, leading 21-0, punted twice on 3rd down. The following year Auburn, with Auburn leading 21-0, calls came down from the stands for Auburn to punt to Tennessee on 3rd down. Coach Jordan, being the Gentleman he was, refused to stoop so low

Yes, the "punt on 3rd down game" was in Knoxville. However, the fourth quarter was played in a driving rainstorm. That was about as wet as I've ever been, even when swimming! He didn't punt on 3rd down to make some meaningless point. The ball was wet and players were mishandling it left and right. Punting the thing away and letting Auburn fumble around with it was the safest way for Tennessee to win. Majors had a valid reason for punting on 3rd down and it had nothing to do with embarrassing anyone.

I think Doug Dickey was the coach then, or maybe Bill Battle, huh?

We will have a quarterback come August. I'm fully convinced that JJ and JF3 will be the two top dogs. We will win at a minimum 8 games unless something crazy happens and we catch the injury bug.

I'm sorry but there's no way those two are the top dogs. JF3 is entirely too small to play SEC ball right now. I mean he's tiny. I don't see JJ being the guy either, too much pressure on him unfortunately.

I know everyone has an opinion, but JFIII was brought in to play QB and to play this year if his skill sets will work. I do not believe the coaching staff has any qualifier in place on size. If he can move the offense, he will be the QB.

Agree 100%

JF3 is this year's Nick Marshall. If he doesn't work out, we'll be lucky to go 6-6.

in the first series of the iron bowl and national championship game Nick missed wide open sure TDs.

The Iron Bowl pass, Marshall on the run evading two defenders, went right through Louis' hands.

Another TD drop by Louis happened on the 2nd-to-last drive of the game.

The National Championship game pass could have been caught by Louis as it landed around his knees.

Louis short-armed all three passes.

Even if Marshall throws all three passes to Louis in stride, is it guaranteed Louis catches all three passes?

The Arkansas game says no.

Did Nick miss on either of these two passes? Or was it simply a difference of the guy he threw them to?

Auburn%20vs%20Ole%20Miss%202014%20Marshall_zpsfgaovppg.gif

Auburn%20vs%20Missouri%20SECCG%202013%20Marshall_zpsaqkonxvg.gif

in the first series of the iron bowl and national championship game Nick missed wide open sure TDs.

The Iron Bowl pass, Marshall on the run evading two defenders, went right through Louis' hands.

Another TD drop by Louis happened on the 2nd-to-last drive of the game.

The National Championship game pass could have been caught by Louis as it landed around his knees.

Louis short-armed all three passes.

True.

He's lucky he'll be remembered for one catch rather than the potentially big catches he dropped.

I like Louis, that A&M game I remember him coming up big and Arkansas on the Sean White drive to send it to OT but he wore our foreheads out by all the face palms over the years.

On the comparison with Bama's QBs. It's not rare for them to be slow in making a decision. But they always get good play. Gus has gotten good play from our QBs until last year, so let's hold our fire a bit.

Agree but thinking back to 2010 and 2013...if our starting QBs had gone down in either year we would have likely been looking at 6 or 7 win seasons from either of those teams.

There is no question in my mind that the success of Gus's offense (and many others for that matter) almost totally depends on having a QB who can effectively run the offense. .....and I'm not talking about a middle of the road QB.

What we haven't had yet with Gus at Auburn is a just-fair-to-middlin' QB with a complete team around him. Probably the closest was 2009, but that was Gus's first season at Auburn and everything was a little spun around with that team.

It's a bad thing that Gus hasn't fielded a complete team yet, but I consider it a challenge to the notion that Gus requires an all world QB to make his offense hum.

For all the stats he put up, I don't really view NM as "all world." Did he fit perfectly? Absolutely, but he wasn't the superhero Cam was. The thing I liked most about the 2013 offense (aside from the obvious) was that it didn't have the same "one-man team" feel that 2010 had.

I can agree with you somewhat. Especially the part about Cam, because no quarterback has ever had his skill set. But Nick was very, very good. He wasn't the most accurate passer we've ever had, but it will be awhile before we find a guy who has his combination of arm strength, mobility, decision making and other intangibles IMO. He made bad plays good, he protected the ball, he and Sammie could take the top off the defense- man, what a perfectly paired WR and cannon arm- he inspired his teammates... we missed all of those qualities last year (although arm strength is not a problem for JJ).

Also, 2010 wasn't a one man offense. That was one of the most experienced offensive lines we'll ever see at Auburn, Mike Dyer was a legit 5* RB, Onterrio McCalebb was a home run waiting to happen, we had the most selfless, hard working WR corps we could hope for- and TZach, Blake and Darvin Adams were legit college pass catchers- Lutz, Fannin... that offense didn't produce many legit NFL careers and Cam definitely lifted them up, but they weren't hot garbage. Ziemba, Pugh, Isom, Adams, Zachary, McCalebb, Fannin, Blake and Dyer (!!!) all at least made it into NFL camps. Possibly others. Lutz would have had he not come back and gotten injured.

Sorry. Don't want to get into overkill here. Marshall might not have been "all world", but he was far, far above "middle of the road".

Just to add some perspective.... Since 1970, there have been 10 QB's from a power 5 conference to have a pass rating of 140 or better and to rush for 1000 yds in the same season. Nick Marshall and Cam Newton are 2 of the 10.

i feel like you could write down your top 10 facts about a certain position played at auburn and go sign us a couple of five stars haha

Don't be surpised if Woody Barrett is starting by the end of 2016 because JJ and Sean will be more of the same and JF3 will be thrown around like a rag doll in the SEC. O

^If JF3 isn't the answer, I doubt anyone will be. Giving JJ a 5 year-contract extension may end up being the dumbest move the PTB have ever made if he isn't. From all reports at practice JF3 seems to be drawing the most attention. I know that's within a margin of error, but it's something to hang hope on, isn't it?

Oh, and Stat: your post about all the talent we lost from '14 just makes me even more frustrated about what could have been.

Don't be surpised if Woody Barrett is starting by the end of 2016 because JJ and Sean will be more of the same and JF3 will be thrown around like a rag doll in the SEC. O

OMG

He can sling it, that's for sure.

Not only does this statement show little depth of knowledge, its Just plain dumb.

Brilliant retort as always Sesame Street. Here you go:

It's a tongue in cheek parody of half the posts on here that take STRONG opinions of ANY QB at this point, lighten up. But read it again. As a ruse it's actually about as astute as serious posts that historically received serious blathering praise here - like showing any interest in a transferring Russell Wilson would "mess up" the "great chemistry" between competing QBs Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley and Kiehl Fraser.

Brilliant retort as always Sesame Street. Here you go:

It's a tongue in cheek parody of half the posts on here that take STRONG opinions of ANY QB at this point, lighten up. But read it again. As a ruse it's actually about as astute as serious posts that historically received serious blathering praise here - like showing any interest in a transferring Russell Wilson would "mess up" the "great chemistry" between competing QBs Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley and Kiehl Fraser.

This is something you might already know, but tongue-in-cheek, sarcasm and humor in general doesn't do well on the internet. People don't know you and there's no way to see facial expressions or body language. Myself, I thought you were probably just either drunk or real angry when you posted that silly statement.

Don't think so but if he is we're in deep deep doo doo

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Barrett got the job. I don't care what anyone says. Gus is on the hot seat. Last year got off to a bad start bc of the QB position, Gus knows he has to get it right. JF3 may be a Nick Marshal clone but but so is Barrett and Barrett is much bigger and stronger than JF3.

I attended the '80 game. And don't recall ut punting on first down. I do remember thousands of oranges raining down on the Volunteers as they left the field following their pre game warmup. I also remember Auburn holding Tennessee to a 3 and out on their series. And that being the only three and out.

Late in the 1973 game in Knoxville, Tennessee, leading 21-0, punted twice on 3rd down. The following year Auburn, with Auburn leading 21-0, calls came down from the stands for Auburn to punt to Tennessee on 3rd down. Coach Jordan, being the Gentleman he was, refused to stoop so low

Yes, the "punt on 3rd down game" was in Knoxville. However, the fourth quarter was played in a driving rainstorm. That was about as wet as I've ever been, even when swimming! He didn't punt on 3rd down to make some meaningless point. The ball was wet and players were mishandling it left and right. Punting the thing away and letting Auburn fumble around with it was the safest way for Tennessee to win. Majors had a valid reason for punting on 3rd down and it had nothing to do with embarrassing anyone.

Appreciate these replies.

Obviously he won't be the starter. With that said, is it just me or did he throw the ball 50 yards with both feet planted and without stepping into the throw at all?

Can you imagine him with a running start?

Bill Battle. Doug Dickey was HC of florida during the same time frame.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Barrett got the job. I don't care what anyone says. Gus is on the hot seat. Last year got off to a bad start bc of the QB position, Gus knows he has to get it right. JF3 may be a Nick Marshal clone but but so is Barrett and Barrett is much bigger and stronger than JF3.

You are wrong about Gus being on the hot seat. However, the last thing any coach on the hot seat would do would be to turn the team over to a true freshman QB. That coach would be out of the hot seat and onto the street in short order. Barring a string of injuries, Barrett will redshirt.

UT's coach in '73 was indeed Bill Battle. I was thinking Johnny Majors but Battle is correct. https://en.wikipedia...ootball_coaches

This is not as crazy as some implied

Possible but not preference.

When Woody gets some more arm/leg strength in him, dude might be hitting around 75 yards

Maybe it's just me...but I'm not worried about 75 yards....or even 50 yards. What I'm hoping for is a QB who can hit an AU receiver (rather than an opponent's DB) on the move at 25 or 30 yards.

Stat can tell me for sure but my impression is that a very high percentage of our completed passes last year were to a receiver who was standing still,,,,waiting on the ball to arrive at a spot.

Archived