JJ with first team O

Charhair

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was his recruiting in high school which is over now and how they literally changed his "category" in the middle of his recruitment. Even mcloof can attest to it because this is actually a chick convo we all had a while back

Was thinking of that exact conversation while reading this back and forth.

It does befuddle me that Gus had constantly been recruiting pocket passer QBs (JJ, White, Queen).

There are a # of decent dual threat guys we could have had. Lamar Jackson at Louisville was one.

It does befuddle me that Gus had constantly been recruiting pocket passer QBs (JJ, White, Queen).

There are a # of decent dual threat guys we could have had. Lamar Jackson at Louisville was one.

At the time they were all in on JJ....thinking he had his guy already.

There was a discussion earlier concerning Jason Smith volunteering to go to WR by this time last spring. I feel Jason must have know that JJ was the guy and Jason wanted to play so his only option was WR. This year, the QB competition is wide open and JF3 is getting a more serious look than Jason did.

As far as recruiting DT QBs, Gus did recruit Watson (Clemson) and Harris (LSU) in previous years, just didn't land them. It seems that Gus was confident enough in his system and didn't feel he needed a DT guy to succeed. He might have changed his mind as he has been recruiting DT guys this year. Just my opinion.

That has nothing to do with passing on a good qb. We should sign a qb every year, if anything be passed him because of SW....If JJ was everything he thought JJ potentially could have left last year

Question.

Has Gus yet to recruit a qb from high school?

Either he cannot pick them or he cannot develop them.

If we remove Nick and Cam we are in worse shape than we are now. Which is really hard to comprehend.

Question.

Has Gus yet to recruit a qb from high school?

Either he cannot pick them or he cannot develop them.

If we remove Nick and Cam we are in worse shape than we are now. Which is really hard to comprehend.

IMO, Gus cannot develop them. Rhett is even worse.

We all know how this ends. I say stick with Gus till saban retires. Quit extending his contract. If he's got 5 years, let him coach for 5 years . Saban may be gone by then. Then we might hire a real HC.

NewDay, it isn't hard for some of us to comprehend. I was in college during the worst era in modern AU football history. We were mediocre at best for years. We're close to another era like that.

We all know how this ends. I say stick with Gus till saban retires. Quit extending his contract. If he's got 5 years, let him coach for 5 years . Saban may be gone by then. Then we might hire a real HC.

NewDay, it isn't hard for some of us to comprehend. I was in college during the worst era in modern AU football history. We were mediocre at best for years. We're close to another era like that.

You keep comparing the Barfield era to Malzahn and it's not even close.

Win Pct: Malzahn (.675) / Barfield (.536) If we compared their first 3 years, Barfield drops to .500.

Malzahn has a higher win percentage by 26 % despite facing a far tougher level of competition than Barfield. Malzahn has faced a SOS of .642 to Barfield's .538. This includes 72.5% of Malzahn's opponents having winning records compared to Barfield's 52.7%. Malzahn's competition has included 45% ranked opponents compared to Barfield's 23.6%.

31.0% of Barfield's games resulted in a loss of at least 10 points, compared to Malzahn's 15.0%.

33% of Malzahn's games have resulted in an Auburn victory of 17 or more points compared to Barfield's 16%.

Barfield had a win pct of .259 against teams with a winning record and Malzahn is .552.

Malzahn is .560 in conference play compared to Barfield's win pct of .433. This includes Malzahn's win pct of .500 against SEC teams with a winning record, compared to Barfield's .222.

Barfield compiled a 20-6 record against teams with a non-winning record and Malzahn is currently 11-0.

Both were offensive coaches. Malzahn's offense has averaged 261.9 YPG rushing the football and Barfield's run-offense was the offense, yet averaged 246.9 YPG on the ground. Malzahn's pass offense has a pass rating of 143.9, compared to Barfield's 106.0.

Malzahn has taken 3 of 3 teams to a bowl game and Barfield was 0 of 5 but will give him the 1979 season Auburn was on probation for a 1 out of 5 finish.

Malzahn won a SEC title and Barfield wasn't even close.

Only time will tell what the future will bring for Gus Malzahn and the Auburn Tigers but the comparison to the Barfield era is a tad premature. Yes, the past two seasons under Malzahn has been disappointing but at least he delivered one memorable season, which cannot be said during the Barfield era.

Win Pct: Malzahn (.675) / Barfield (.536) If we compared their first 3 years, Barfield drops to .500.

Malzahn has a higher win percentage by 26 % despite facing a far tougher level of competition than Barfield. Malzahn has faced a SOS of .642 to Barfield's .538. This includes 72.5% of Malzahn's opponents having winning records compared to Barfield's 52.7%. Malzahn's competition has included 45% ranked opponents compared to Barfield's 23.6%.

31.0% of Barfield's games resulted in a loss of at least 10 points, compared to Malzahn's 15.0%.

33% of Malzahn's games have resulted in an Auburn victory of 17 or more points compared to Barfield's 16%.

Barfield had a win pct of .259 against teams with a winning record and Malzahn is .552.

Malzahn is .560 in conference play compared to Barfield's win pct of .433. This includes Malzahn's win pct of .500 against SEC teams with a winning record, compared to Barfield's .222.

Malzahn has taken 3 of 3 teams to a bowl game and Barfield was 0 of 5 but will give him the 1979 season Auburn was on probation for a 1 out of 5 finish.

Only time will tell what the future will bring for Gus Malzahn and the Auburn Tigers but the comparison to the Barfield era is a tad premature. Yes, the past two seasons under Malzahn has been disappointing but at least he delivered one memorable season, which cannot be said during the Barfield era.

I'll go out on a limb here and say none of those facts matter to the poster you quoted. It doesn't fit his unfounded mantra.

I'm told at lunch that JFIII is fast but can't hit the side of a barn with the football. And he is skinny. Real skinny. Broke in half skinny.

I think most know he is tiny....and I am not surprised by his accuracy issues...i personally don't think he will be the starter when the fighting Dabos come8 to town....when does Barrett get here ??

Gus and co. should have him ready to run 50% of the offense in 3 years. By his RS Senior season he should have things down by the 4th or 5th game of the year. :) keeding.

Seriously though, do we really expect a true freshman to make waves in Gus' offense in the SEC?

Barfield compiled a 20-6 record against teams with a non-winning record and Malzahn is currently 11-0.

Both were offensive coaches. Malzahn's offense has averaged 261.9 YPG rushing the football and Barfield's run-offense was the offense, yet averaged 246.9 YPG on the ground. Malzahn's pass offense has a pass rating of 143.9, compared to Barfield's 106.0.

Good info Stat. Maybe I'll back away from the ledge. For awhile.

I was in HS and my older brother was at Auburn during the Barfield area. You really had to be a true Auburn fan during those years. I did think the 1979 team was pretty darn good.

I was in HS and my older brother was at Auburn during the Barfield area. You really had to be a true Auburn fan during those years. I did think the 1979 team was pretty darn good.

Then this happened in '80

September 27, 1980 Tennessee #18 Jordan-Hare StadiumAuburn, AL L 0–42

I was at that game. It was horrible. I was 16 at the time and I remember my older brother being in a foul mode the rest of the day.

Yes, I graduated in 79. That was a good team. We had bammer beat but Steadman Shealey, never mind.

The bahr owned the State and CFB. I knew Coach Barfield and he was and is a fine man and a great offensive coach . He had no chance to compete.

Been buying season tix since 1979...

I was at that game. It was horrible. I was 16 at the time and I remember my older brother being in a foul mode the rest of the day.

Was that the orange jersey game?

Was that the orange jersey game?

No you're thinking the uga game I believe. this is the game in 1980 vs UT. Want to see awful defense watch this.

Worst game I ever saw...AU blew about a 30+ point lead at Wake Forest...could not believe what I was seeing.

Worst game I ever saw...AU blew about a 30+ point lead at Wake Forest...could not believe what I was seeing.

I was at that game and I still have nightmares from those years

I was at that game and I still have nightmares from those years

I lived in Greensboro and took my 10 year old son to show him some "real" football...what a disaster...he decided to go to UNC.

Archived