Gus says: He will be more "Hands On" this spring

AU-24

Why is everyone so freaked out with what happened in 2015? Sure tons of hype and the team had the talent to support it, but they lacked experience and we were replacing the majority of the offensive production from 2013&2014. Our offense did struggle and it was hard to watch. 2015 sucked but was no where near the 2012 season. Atleast we finished with a win in a bowl game against a decent Memphis team.

I know it's hard, but just sit back and watch the season unfold and enjoy what you can. This board seems to flip flop so hard over the guy who is responsible for 2 national championship appearances and one win in the last 5 seasons. We should know by now that Gus is going to live and die by the sword. So just appreciate the madness and the magic that comes with the territory.

Because he's trended downward like Bowden did . Worse actually . Plus, you're right that 2015 wasn't another 2012, but 2012 was Chiziks 4th year. It's pretty fresh in our minds. It's fear that we're gonna bust in 2016. It is for me. Gus hasn't performed well the last two years. Hes trended downward and had player problems and dissension that messed us up. 2013 is looking more and more like a fluke.

By the way, some of us haven't flip flopped. I thought he was a Bowden-type hire, and still do.

It's pretty interesting to approach a situation with the mindset of it being a failure. I guess it's an easy way to hedge your bets though. Enter with a pessimistic mindset and you "win" when they struggle and still win when the team is doing well. Yep. except people like this will never acknowledge the pessimism they had if the team actually does well. They'll just find something else to complain about. It's incredibly easy to identify the constantly negative people here. If Auburn won every game by 30 they still wouldn't be happy.

2 great offenses followed by a poor offense year when replacing vital parts of the offense. 1 average year of defense followed by 2014 defense that only had a half season in it, then slight improvement in 2015 to manageable defense.

My point is this board gets extremely high when it goes well and then flatlines into a meltdown when things go bad. How do you guys even enjoy football like that?

Then we have another group that just stays flatline regardless of the success we have. Those people will always find something to complain about. It's just what they do. It must be a really sad life to always have that defeatist attitude.

I just sit back and watch the games. 2013 for me will always feel skittle more special than 2010 was (despite the BCS Title) because of the teams progression and the 2 plays that will be remembered for the rest of my life. Watching that season unfold was simply amazing. Even 2014 was great to watch (offensively), but the finish was sad because I saw Marshall play his tail off in the last two losses and it sucked to see them go out like that.

I was actually extremely excited to see JJ play like he did against A&M because I think it was the first time we saw him play with emotion, he just looked empty before. It was good to see him end the season with a win.

They were both really special . 2010 because we saw the greatest CFB player in history. 2013 because of the tenacity of that team and the miracle finishes. I've never experienced any sporting event like the 2013 Iron Bowl and the Chris Davis return. That team had some magic in it. They never quit.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is everyone so freaked out with what happened in 2015? Sure tons of hype and the team had the talent to support it, but they lacked experience and we were replacing the majority of the offensive production from 2013&2014. Our offense did struggle and it was hard to watch. 2015 sucked but was no where near the 2012 season. Atleast we finished with a win in a bowl game against a decent Memphis team.

I know it's hard, but just sit back and watch the season unfold and enjoy what you can. This board seems to flip flop so hard over the guy who is responsible for 2 national championship appearances and one win in the last 5 seasons. We should know by now that Gus is going to live and die by the sword. So just appreciate the madness and the magic that comes with the territory.

Because he's trended downward like Bowden did . Worse actually . Plus, you're right that 2015 wasn't another 2012, but 2012 was Chiziks 4th year. It's pretty fresh in our minds. It's fear that we're gonna bust in 2016. It is for me. Gus hasn't performed well the last two years. Hes trended downward and had player problems and dissension that messed us up. 2013 is looking more and more like a fluke.

By the way, some of us haven't flip flopped. I thought he was a Bowden-type hire, and still do.

It's pretty interesting to approach a situation with the mindset of it being a failure. I guess it's an easy way to hedge your bets though. Enter with a pessimistic mindset and you "win" when they struggle and still win when the team is doing well. Yep. except people like this will never acknowledge the pessimism they had if the team actually does well. They'll just find something else to complain about. It's incredibly easy to identify the constantly negative people here. If Auburn won every game by 30 they still wouldn't be happy.

2 great offenses followed by a poor offense year when replacing vital parts of the offense. 1 average year of defense followed by 2014 defense that only had a half season in it, then slight improvement in 2015 to manageable defense.

My point is this board gets extremely high when it goes well and then flatlines into a meltdown when things go bad. How do you guys even enjoy football like that?

Then we have another group that just stays flatline regardless of the success we have. Those people will always find something to complain about. It's just what they do. It must be a really sad life to always have that defeatist attitude.

Who would that be? Please provide posters names and examples.

All you have to do is read the posts here, its not hard to figure out who those people are.

I do read the posts on this site, however; I am just trying to find those post that meet YOUR definition of those that stay flatline and always complain. Again, if you are capable of doing so, please provide posters names and examples of posts who/that meet the YOUR criteria. Thanks.

This is the BS I'm talking about. For a forum supposedly focusing on Auburn, it certainly seems to be more toxic than political posts on Tumblr. To get to good content, I have to wade and sift through the bickering. Literally no matter how many threads one starts about canning Lashlee or why didn't we hire this guy, it's not going to influence a decision so it certainly shouldn't matter who wins an argument. There isn't any defined metric to determine the value of an opinion, so take it for what it's worth? If you don't like it then that's fine and you can talk about it, but the amount of actual rage in some of these posts is disturbing.

It's pretty interesting to approach a situation with the mindset of it being a failure. I guess it's an easy way to hedge your bets though. Enter with a pessimistic mindset and you "win" when they struggle and still win when the team is doing well.

I don't think Gus is a failure. He's trended downward .I wasn't impressed with the hire at the time.

Remember Bowden started out 11-0 and trended downward. Gus may start trending upward this year. But 2012 was not long ago and that's what causes the ups and downs IMHO. The memory is fresh, like waiting for the other shoe to drop. That, coupled with bammer's dominance.

I must say I didn't enjoy AU football last year, and not much the previous year. But I keep buying my season tix in hopes that I will enjoy this season!

WDE

What happened in 2015?

The task of replacing the starting QB, 2 OL, top 3 rushers, top 3 WR's and both TE's was more challenging than most thought it would be, including myself.

Plus: key injuries, Duke's implosion, and Jeremy going all Jekyll and Hyde between practice and games, none of which could have been expected or completely planned for.

All of the factors you two mentioned are exactly what happened in 2015.

I am expecting progress in 2016

What happened in 2015?

The task of replacing the starting QB, 2 OL, top 3 rushers, top 3 WR's and both TE's was more challenging than most thought it would be, including myself.

Plus: key injuries, Duke's implosion, and Jeremy going all Jekyll and Hyde between practice and games, none of which could have been expected or completely planned for.

I think Auburn will be better at...

DL

secondary

Special Teams

RB

H-Back

WR

Question mark at ....

QB

LB

OL

What happened in 2015?

DL

secondary

Special Teams

RB

H-Back

WR

Question mark at ....

QB

LB

OL

You probably failed to include the TE position because Gus seldom uses it, but I think that is a position of improvement as well with the addition of Rice.

What happened in 2015?

DL

secondary

Special Teams

RB

H-Back

WR

Question mark at ....

QB

LB

OL

I'm optimistic about QB. Sean showed he could play in 2 games before getting hurt. AU upped their sports psychology offerings, so Jeremy might get his head right. Finally, even if Franklin can't hit the broad side of a barn with his arm, it sounds like, from all accounts, he's going to be scary hard to catch if he takes off running. Gus can just line him up in a wishbone style formation with Roc and Jovon, bring Smith in motion, and let defensive coordinators guess who to try and tackle.

I'm also optimistic about the O-line, partially because one of our replacements has experience elsewhere, but mostly because of a year of experience under our center, which I think may have been a bigger issue that it always appeared.

LB is a GIANT ?

What happened in 2015?

DL

secondary

Special Teams

RB

H-Back

WR

Question mark at ....

QB

LB

OL

You probably failed to include the TE position because Gus seldom uses it, but I think that is a position of improvement as well with the addition of Rice.

What happened in 2015?

DL

secondary

Special Teams

RB

H-Back

WR

Question mark at ....

QB

LB

OL

The TE's are part of the H Back position.

I've already answered your first question. Please stop twisting my words. I have never said Rhett Lashlee deserves credit for 2013 and 2014 but 2015 was a collaboration with Malzahn. For about the 20th time, I HAVE STATED THAT IF LASHLEE IS TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR 2015, HE SHOULD BE GIVEN CREDIT FOR 2013 AND 2014. He was in name the OC for all three seasons.

Stat,

If Lashlee was truly the OC and his role and responsibility were the same in 2013, 2014, and 2015, what you say is true. He deserves credit for those two good offenses and blame for the lousy one. But what you're not getting (or choosing to not acknowledge) is that the people who have a problem with Lashlee DON'T believe he had an equal role and responsibility for all those years. They think that Gus increased his role a little in 2014 (and the points per game went down slightly and shifted more to passing and less running and zone read) and that Gus gave him MUCH MORE responsibility for play calling (and maybe game plan/scripting plays) in 2015 and it was a disaster (and you can blame that on QB's but Lashlee also was responsible for QB's so). And now we have a thread that Gus is more HANDS ON and has hired HERB HAND so that kind of supports that line of thinking that Lashlee is in over his head.

I ain't got a clue what's really going on, but I can see both sides of that debate. If the offense explodes again this year, lots of folks will say it was because Malzahn took play calls back over and Herb Hand helped him rejuvenate the run game and zone/read (even if the primary reason might be that JF3 recreated Nick Marshall).

I've already answered your first question. Please stop twisting my words. I have never said Rhett Lashlee deserves credit for 2013 and 2014 but 2015 was a collaboration with Malzahn. For about the 20th time, I HAVE STATED THAT IF LASHLEE IS TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR 2015, HE SHOULD BE GIVEN CREDIT FOR 2013 AND 2014. He was in name the OC for all three seasons.

Stat,

If Lashlee was truly the OC and his role and responsibility were the same in 2013, 2014, and 2015, what you say is true. He deserves credit for those two good offenses and blame for the lousy one. But what you're not getting (or choosing to not acknowledge) is that the people who have a problem with Lashlee DON'T believe he had an equal role and responsibility for all those years. They think that Gus increased his role a little in 2014 (and the points per game went down slightly and shifted more to passing and less running and zone read) and that Gus gave him MUCH MORE responsibility for play calling (and maybe game plan/scripting plays) in 2015 and it was a disaster (and you can blame that on QB's but Lashlee also was responsible for QB's so). And now we have a thread that Gus is more HANDS ON and has hired HERB HAND so that kind of supports that line of thinking that Lashlee is in over his head.

I ain't got a clue what's really going on, but I can see both sides of that debate. If the offense explodes again this year, lots of folks will say it was because Malzahn took play calls back over and Herb Hand helped him rejuvenate the run game and zone/read (even if the primary reason might be that JF3 recreated Nick Marshall).

This.

wde

They think that Gus increased his role a little in 2014 (and the points per game went down slightly and shifted more to passing and less running and zone read) and that Gus gave him MUCH MORE responsibility for play calling (and maybe game plan/scripting plays) in 2015 and it was a disaster (and you can blame that on QB's but Lashlee also was responsible for QB's so).

Or, to simplify... when people don't have all, or even most of the facts, they will readily make up a scenario that supports their agenda, often ignoring or disregarding more logical scenarios.

What happened in 2015?

DL

secondary

Special Teams

RB

H-Back

WR

Question mark at ....

QB

LB

OL

Agreedfor the most part. I think OL will be better. Center has a year under his belt, Kozan and Smith will be beasts. The good news is LB has been pretty bad since 2010, so that's not new. JF3 may be the second coming of Nick Marshall. So, QB won't be any worse,nor will LB. 8-4 possible and 9 regular season wins, maybe.

All you have to do is read the posts here, its not hard to figure out who those people are.

I do read the posts on this site, however; I am just trying to find those post that meet YOUR definition of those that stay flatline and always complain. Again, if you are capable of doing so, please provide posters names and examples of posts who/that meet the YOUR criteria. Thanks.

You're a poster that actually likes to discuss both sides, including the downside . I do too. That's why I have a 2.3 rating on TOS. Don't take the bait. I enjoy your posts.

I like Stuart's facts and analysis and I'll bet you do too. It's all good.

I'm going for a 2.0 on TOS BTW. ��

Happy Easter

Stat,

The above bolded comments you made support my entire point all along. Plenty of folks making assumptions on what they believe is going on. I'm not failing to see their point, I'm electing to ignore any assumptions made. This is the very reason why I don't make emotional comments based on assumptions. It is not a matter of right or wrong but as you stated yourself, no one really knows what the roles are, which makes it difficult to direct the praise and criticism. This is why I place the good and bad squarely on the shoulders of the HFC.

You're a poster that actually likes to discuss both sides, including the downside . I do too. That's why I have a 2.3 rating on TOS. Don't take the bait. I enjoy your posts.

I like Stuart's facts and analysis and I'll bet you do too. It's all good.

I'm going for a 2.0 on TOS BTW. ��

Happy Easter

Agree. I have no problem being happy and "All In" regarding the football program when it is earned and warranted. I simply refuse to stick my head in the sand and toe the company line when there are areas where the program can improve. I have no problem admitting to being wrong on an opinion that I take. (See Boulware and JB Grimes...I thought both were terrible hires and both turned out to be good hires).

StatTiger's stats are great and I believe that he and I agree more in terms of opinion (leaving stats aside) than he is willing to admit to on this board (we have before on other boards). augolf is the Mod you should pay attention to. He will keep you in line, but he does not drink the kool-aid unless it is washed down with PBR.

wde

wde

StatTiger's stats are great and I believe that he and I agree more in terms of opinion (leaving stats aside) than he is willing to admit to on this board (we have before on other boards). augolf is the Mod you should pay attention to. He will keep you in line, but he does not drink the kool-aid unless it is washed down with PBR.

wde

wde

I state what I believe and no, there is nothing that I agree with you that I feel compelled to hide. The difference is I don't feel the need to beat a dead horse. I can post something critical and move on. I also don't need to take it to a personal level if I am critical of a coach or player's performance ("Handing Malzahn his gum"). If I don't know much about a topic, I will likely refrain from making a comment, especially in a public forum. If I make an assumption, I normally note this to be the case by stating, "I believe..." or "It appears...".

I hate it when Auburn loses but I don't dwell on it for very long. When something goes wrong, I never assume it will continue and when something goes right, I don't assume everything is okay. The 2015 season is in the history books. The 2016 Auburn Tigers are working through spring practice. I guess I could allow my emotions to get the better of me and predict a bad season or a good one for that matter but I won't. I'll save my emotions for when the season begins, progresses and concludes.

wde

wde

I state what I believe and no, there is nothing that I agree with you that I feel compelled to hide. The difference is I don't feel the need to beat a dead horse. I can post something critical and move on. I also don't need to take it to a personal level if I am critical of a coach or player's performance ("Handing Malzahn his gum"). If I don't know much about a topic, I will likely refrain from making a comment, especially in a public forum. If I make an assumption, I normally note this to be the case by stating, "I believe..." or "It appears...".

I hate it when Auburn loses but I don't dwell on it for very long. When something goes wrong, I never assume it will continue and when something goes right, I don't assume everything is okay. The 2015 season is in the history books. The 2016 Auburn Tigers are working through spring practice. I guess I could allow my emotions to get the better of me and predict a bad season or a good one for that matter but I won't. I'll save my emotions for when the season begins, progresses and concludes.

This is how I am..never get too high or too low. And I prefer to remain optimistic until proven otherwise. But at the end of the day we all have the same passion and desire to see the team do well. Excellent post and outlook.

wde

wde

This is how I am..never get too high or too low. And I prefer to remain optimistic until proven otherwise. But at the end of the day we all have the same passion and desire to see the team do well. Excellent post and outlook.

I get way down and pop up for air after a good victory. But his is a good outlook I agree

wde

wde

I get it Stat. I guess we just disagree when the horse is dead. I post critical things and would gladly leave them alone, but someone always tends to take it to a personal level with me without arguing/discussing the situation. I will gladly admit to being wrong. Heck, if we win 9 or more regular season games next year including a win over uga or spuat, our O be in the top 5 in total O and TDs and our DL show at least average play then I will gladly come on this board and give credit to Gus/Lashlee for the O and Rodney Garner for the DL.

wde

wde

Amen & WDE !!!

wde

wde

Stat, please don't ever stop posting!

On another note: I hate that the OL is a question mark. Let's hope for the best this year.

wde

wde

I get it Stat. I guess we just disagree when the horse is dead. I post critical things and would gladly leave them alone, but someone always tends to take it to a personal level with me without arguing/discussing the situation. I will gladly admit to being wrong. Heck, if we win 9 or more regular season games next year including a win over uga or spuat, our O be in the top 5 in total O and TDs and our DL show at least average play then I will gladly come on this board and give credit to Gus/Lashlee for the O and Rodney Garner for the DL.

That makes two of us.

The only true question to ask: Did Gus make Cam and Marshall have freak talent, cuz both of those guys made broken plays continue drives, not the play being called. If gus does not evolve his offense we will hold our spot in the league, defenses don't buy the gimmick motion and maintain balance, because the gimmicks put the offense in a negative balance without motion resulting in stalling offense. Our talent gets us what we get, our offensive staff shows results on scoreboard

The only true question to ask: Did Gus make Cam and Marshall have freak talent, cuz both of those guys made broken plays continue drives, not the play being called. If gus does not evolve his offense we will hold our spot in the league, defenses don't buy the gimmick motion and maintain balance, because the gimmicks put the offense in a negative balance without motion resulting in stalling offense. Our talent gets us what we get, our offensive staff shows results on scoreboard

Great players make plays for ANY offense. Auburn doesn't beat Florida or Alabama in 1983 without Bo Jackson. Take Jason Campbell out for the season in 2004 and there is no way that team goes undefeated. Georgia doesn't win the national championship in 1980 without Herschel Walker. Take any "great" player from any offense and the offense declines to some degree. Did Cam and Nick extend plays with their athletic talents? Of course they did but its not like they did it despite poor play calling. The majority of the offensive success is a direct result of taking advantage of all the talent on the field, which means good play calling too.

I do agree the play calling could be better but personnel issues had a lot to do with the play calling during 2015. Auburn lacked consistency when it comes to play makers in 2015. I agree with your comment about the offense evolving.

Gus's 2013 offense was the first SEC offense to lead the nation in rushing (I believe).

That was all off the zone read and execution, sure we had freak athletes but not matter who took the ball they were going to gain yards.

See that SEC championship game, for example

Tre with 300, Nick, Ricardo, CAP and Grant all having good games too. Due to that triple option, not "broken plays" at all.

Archived