Gus says: He will be more "Hands On" this spring

AU-24

Is it poor play calling or at time poor execution of the play called...see SW interception against MSU...or a missed block by an HB on his run up the middle...

More often than not, it is poor execution.

Stat, in my profession, we constantly hear "Data doesn't lie." I want to thank you for the extra work you put forth in laying out the facts. It's enough detail for the detail folks to be able to respect, and enough evidence for the read-between-the-line folks to be able to draw logical inferences. I do have to wonder...does, on occasion, poor execution LEAD to poor play-calling...sort of like having to use an inferior plan B when plan A doesn't work?

yes. When you can't trust your qb to challenge the middle of the field the defense stops covering it and sells out on the RBs and screen passes. It makes you predictable and forces the plays you do call to be executed to perfection.

And when the defense stops covering the middle of the field, and you still don't have a QB that can exploit that, you are really in deep trouble.

you go 6-6

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously we have a top 10 offensive coaching staff that is saddled with sub par player effort or production. My question is what is becoming of these top 10 recruiting classes. Why are they not getting it done when we have such good playcalling and guidance. Who's responsible. To me it's difficult to hold the players responsible when their coaches are knocking down millions of bucks. But hey if y'all wanna bury your heads and fault the players then that's your prerogative. From my seats that I've had for over a decade it's a pretty easy call.

I don't think we have anything close to a top 10 offensive coaching staff. I'm not even sure they're top 25. Good recruiters, yes.

Is anyone having people's txt show up at really light colors as well? It's hard to see! It may just be me though. I'm on mobile from work!

The quote above yours is light. But considering who wrote it, I doubt you're missing much.

People's text looks normal for me, but I haven't been able to use the quote function for weeks now. :dunno:

a while back it stopped working for me. it was Internet Explorer. Run Chrome now, no problems.

As usual Stat you are dead on point. Malzhan's is good but he has to grow. If you are not improving each year then you are losing ground. I think there in lies the problem that CGM must fix. WDE

I am genuinely hopeful that with Herb Hand's influence/presence CGM may hit his stride again.

I believe Coach Hand will have a positive influence on the running game but I don't believe the offense will see some form of dramatic change schematically because of Hand. He has been and OL coach and a running game coordinator for the majority of his "recent" coaching career. Yes, I realize he was listed as co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa with Gus Malzahn but that was Malzahn's offense. Note the production of the 2009 Tulsa offense under Herb Hand during 2009 after Malzahn left. I would also point to the fact that Hand has not been an OC anywhere else since 2009. This is not to say that Hand cannot bring something positive to the table but it is not like head coaches around the country have been attempting to hire Herb Hand as an offensive coordinator either.

IMO, what he does bring to the table is overall coaching experience and experience coaching the OL in Malzahn's offense. I do believe Malzahn trusts Herb Hand and values his input but I don't see an extreme collaboration between Malzahn & Hand when it comes to scheming as some have mentioned or hoped for.

Hey, top notch oline execution can make a world of difference in this offense. Will also make a QB look much better - getting some protection and a little time to work through your reads will be great for JJ/SW or whoever gets the nod to lead this offense. So, if Coach Hand can put an elite o-line on the field, I'll be fine.

What purpose does Rhett serve if he wasn't hired to run an offense at AU?

Who was the OC for Steve Spurrier in 1990, 1991 and 1992 at Florida?

Great point Stat.

Who cares ? That was a quarter century ago.

btw, who were the OCs at UpDykeville University in '09, '11, '12, '15. Now those are relevant. It's important for AU to have a proven record as an OC. RL ain't it. For the Lashlee diehard fans, he HAS TO GO !

WDE !!!

The point is that no matter who the OC is under Malzahn, they will be running Malzahn's offense.

You don't get it Stat, who runs the O does matter because we see that Gus is retaking that role, he's just not renaming Lashlee's title as GA as it should have been. Having RL run it has failed and we have a 15-11 record the last two seasons to show for it.

GM has jeopardized AU's success, along with his own career, by supporting two seasons of favoritism for a coach without a resume'.

WDE !!!

If we could just find another Cam Newton or Nick Marshall, we're gold. Gus's rep is based on the 2010 season and having Cam as the QB. 2013 added to his rep with Nick and two miracle plays.

Now we need to settle in and stick with him for a few years and find out if he can be a solid coach.There are no more Cam Newtons and we used up our allotment of miracle plays. Time will tell.

I am genuinely hopeful that with Herb Hand's influence/presence CGM may hit his stride again.

I believe Coach Hand will have a positive influence on the running game but I don't believe the offense will see some form of dramatic change schematically because of Hand. He has been and OL coach and a running game coordinator for the majority of his "recent" coaching career. Yes, I realize he was listed as co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa with Gus Malzahn but that was Malzahn's offense. Note the production of the 2009 Tulsa offense under Herb Hand during 2009 after Malzahn left. I would also point to the fact that Hand has not been an OC anywhere else since 2009. This is not to say that Hand cannot bring something positive to the table but it is not like head coaches around the country have been attempting to hire Herb Hand as an offensive coordinator either.

IMO, what he does bring to the table is overall coaching experience and experience coaching the OL in Malzahn's offense. I do believe Malzahn trusts Herb Hand and values his input but I don't see an extreme collaboration between Malzahn & Hand when it comes to scheming as some have mentioned or hoped for.

You are 100% wrong here about Hand's role in the 2016 AU offense. Not going to be a dramatic change in the the way the AU offense looks but there will be some changes. Anyways.

You are 100% wrong here about Hand's role in the 2016 AU offense. Not going to be a dramatic change in the the way the AU offense looks but there will be some changes. Anyways.

Could be wrong but it looks like you guys are essentially saying the same thing. :dunno:

Could be wrong but it looks like you guys are essentially saying the same thing. :dunno:

No. Gus hired Hand to be his #2 guy on the offense.

No. Gus hired Hand to be his #2 guy on the offense.

Oh ok. The difference is in the opinions on Gus & Hand collaborating. I was looking more at the bottom line in that it appears you both don't see major changes in how the O looks.

How can I be 100% wrong when you basically repeated what I posted?

Glad I'm not the only 1 who read things that way.

Glad I'm not the only 1 who read things that way.

As a neutral party, I want to establish that I find WDE to be 90% Wrong.

What purpose does Rhett serve if he wasn't hired to run an offense at AU?

Who was the OC for Steve Spurrier in 1990, 1991 and 1992 at Florida?

Great point Stat.

Who cares ? That was a quarter century ago.

btw, who were the OCs at UpDykeville University in '09, '11, '12, '15. Now those are relevant. It's important for AU to have a proven record as an OC. RL ain't it. For the Lashlee diehard fans, he HAS TO GO !

WDE !!!

The point is that no matter who the OC is under Malzahn, they will be running Malzahn's offense.

Stat, maybe college football is different than other occupations; but if I hired a guy to run a business of mine; a business that I had been running, and the only thing he did was exactly what I had done before, I really didn't need to hire the guy....I could put a monkey or spreadsheet calculation in charge of playcalling. I can't imagine that a HC would hire an OC and not have that OC recommend changes, upgrades, etc. I can't imagine an OC worth anything that would take the job under conditions that all they could do would be to do what their predecessor had done. While the UAT offense is the same basic offense, it's pretty clear that Kiffen has done a great job with 1) the talent and 2) upgrading the offense. That is what you hire someone for....take a basic scheme and then find out how to make it better.

Stat, maybe college football is different than other occupations; but if I hired a guy to run a business of mine; a business that I had been running, and the only thing he did was exactly what I had done before, I really didn't need to hire the guy....I could put a monkey or spreadsheet calculation in charge of playcalling. I can't imagine that a HC would hire an OC and not have that OC recommend changes, upgrades, etc. I can't imagine an OC worth anything that would take the job under conditions that all they could do would be to do what their predecessor had done. While the UAT offense is the same basic offense, it's pretty clear that Kiffen has done a great job with 1) the talent and 2) upgrading the offense. That is what you hire someone for....take a basic scheme and then find out how to make it better.

An offensive coordinator serves many rolls than simply installing a game plan and calling plays on game day. In that regard, Rhett Lashlee serves a purpose on this staff as well as being the QB coach. In the end, his job description defines his responsibility (coordinate the offense). Rhett Lashlee being the OC under Malzahn is different than Al Borges being the OC under Tommy Tuberville. Lashlee was hired to handle the daily operations of an offensive scheme already present. Al Borges was hired to install his offense under certain perimeters established by the head coach. This is the difference I speak of. I never stated he serves no purpose if he is here merely to operate Malzahn's offensive concepts. Why would he or anyone in his position take such a job? Being an OC at a major program with success can create opportunities for advancement. Anyone in his situation would be foolish not to take the job. As far as Lashlee's tenure at Auburn as the offensive coordinator, he has been part of an offense that has been very good during two seasons and below average during one.

Again... my point was that it is difficult to truly grade Lashlee's ability as an offensive coordinator because he is not independent from the head coach when it comes to the style of offense he is coordinating. The same was said about Muschamp, when he was the defensive coordinator under Nick Saban. It was difficult to evaluate Muschamp under Nick Saban because many gave credit to Nick Saban for Muschamp's success. It wasn't until he separated himself away from Saban, when the majority of folks could appreciate what kind of coach Muschamp was at the time. Lashlee finds himself in a similar situation. During 2013 and 2014, the media commented on Gus Malzahn as being the jewel of Auburn's success. Whether or not this assessment was valid or not, it was the perception, leaving Lashlee in the shadows of the success. Both Malzahn and Lashlee recognize this situation and it is the reason why both realize it is important for Lashlee to move on to prove his actual value.

What that value is, no one really knows at this point. This is why I have taken the stance that Auburn's success and failures should reside on the shoulders of Malzahn. Had Lashlee found another job after 2015, odds are, Malzahn would have hired another former assistant under Malzahn to take Lashlee's place. I'm not saying Lashlee is a great OC or a bad one. IMO, if Lashlee is going to be judged based on the offensive performance of 2015, he should be given credit for the success from 2013 and 2014. I would love to see Gus hire an experienced OC with a successful back ground in some variation of a spread offense. I would like to see the offense evolve and for the offense to expand year to year based on the addition of this new OC. Of course that decision is up to Gus Malzahn. I also realize that a different OC is not needed to change schemes. Malzahn could accomplish this on his own. He has ten years of experience at the collegiate level and is obviously intelligent and experienced enough to make any changes he desires in an attempt to improve the offense.

You hit the nail on the head Stat - this offense has become stagnant/slow, predictable, and in effective in the red zone.

CGM needs to evolve his offense, he's been labeled an offensive genius so he has the knowledge. But does he see the deficiencies and will he step out of his box and shake things up?

In this day and age of college football if you aren't evolving and working to get better, you are getting left behind. AU got left behind and ended up in the bottom of the division last year.

Once our first few scripted plays were exhausted, it looked like the play calling went in a shell. Once a few errors were made, untimely penalties, INTs, runs stuffed, etc. it was like our coaches had nothing in the arsenal to move the ball. I know they were limited at times due to the QBs, but some of the odd roster management/substitutions and poor play selections were head scratching.

You hit the nail on the head Stat - this offense has become stagnant/slow, predictable, and in effective in the red zone.

CGM needs to evolve his offense, he's been labeled an offensive genius so he has the knowledge. But does he see the deficiencies and will he step out of his box and shake things up?

In this day and age of college football if you aren't evolving and working to get better, you are getting left behind. AU got left behind and ended up in the bottom of the division last year.

Once our first few scripted plays were exhausted, it looked like the play calling went in a shell. Once a few errors were made, untimely penalties, INTs, runs stuffed, etc. it was like our coaches had nothing in the arsenal to move the ball. I know they were limited at times due to the QBs, but some of the odd roster management/substitutions and poor play selections were head scratching.

I agree, there is NO excuse for consistently running up the middle on every (ok most) first downs. Heck, even my wife could predict what was coming next, on the rare occasion when we made a first down. It was horrendous. No excuse Coach, quit being stubborn and lets see some of that creativity that brought you to where you are now. We love you but PLEASE quit being predictable. (rant over)

Archived