Gus says: He will be more "Hands On" this spring

AU-24

"The man is not going to self evaluate.

Not sure Im buying this. What was the purpose of meeting with Art Briles? I'll with hold judgement of what Gus is going to do until I see his '16 Offense and can compare it to what he's done in the past. i agree wholeheartedly the run up the middle on quick count 1st down plays is stale as hayul.

Some choose to focus on the bad more than the good. Here is something to consider moving forward. I evaluate offenses based on the following categories:

1) 1st downs per game

2) Rushing yards per game

3) Pass efficiency

4) Total Offense (Yards per game)

5) Points per game

6) 3rd down Pct

7) Impact play ratio

8) Yards per play on 1st down

9) Red Zone TD Pct

10) Yards to point ratio

Here are Malzahn's average national rankings for the above categories by season:

2006: 30th

2007: 12th

2008: 5th

2009: 29th

2010: 9th

2011: 71st

2012: 25th

2013: 16th

2014: 23rd

2015: 72nd

This equates to eight top-30 seasons and six top-25 finishes. 2011 and 2015 stick out the most and the moment he has two of those seasons back-to-back is when I will truly stress over his coaching abilities. His three worst seasons were seasons there was no solidified starter at QB in place. During the remaining seven seasons, the offense was very good with consistent QB play in place.

are these in order of importance? 3rd down percentage seems more important than sixth.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The man is not going to self evaluate.

Not sure Im buying this. What was the purpose of meeting with Art Briles? I'll with hold judgement of what Gus is going to do until I see his '16 Offense and can compare it to what he's done in the past. i agree wholeheartedly the run up the middle on quick count 1st down plays is stale as hayul.

Some choose to focus on the bad more than the good. Here is something to consider moving forward. I evaluate offenses based on the following categories:

1) 1st downs per game

2) Rushing yards per game

3) Pass efficiency

4) Total Offense (Yards per game)

5) Points per game

6) 3rd down Pct

7) Impact play ratio

8) Yards per play on 1st down

9) Red Zone TD Pct

10) Yards to point ratio

Here are Malzahn's average national rankings for the above categories by season:

2006: 30th

2007: 12th

2008: 5th

2009: 29th

2010: 9th

2011: 71st

2012: 25th

2013: 16th

2014: 23rd

2015: 72nd

This equates to eight top-30 seasons and six top-25 finishes. 2011 and 2015 stick out the most and the moment he has two of those seasons back-to-back is when I will truly stress over his coaching abilities. His three worst seasons were seasons there was no solidified starter at QB in place. During the remaining seven seasons, the offense was very good with consistent QB play in place.

Fair enough. Does not the poor play calling in the redzone in 2014 even with a solidified starter give you cause for concern? Also, since there is no solidified starter at QB in place going into 2016, are you giving Gus a pass for the 2016 season too?

wde

Fair enough. Does not the poor play calling in the redzone in 2014 even with a solidified starter give you cause for concern? Also, since there is no solidified starter at QB in place going into 2016, are you giving Gus a pass for the 2016 season too?

wde

I already addressed the RZ comment from 2014. AU was No. 40 that year in RZ TD Pct. There were 2 dropped TD passes and a fumble inside the 5. Just those 3 plays alone would have bumped Auburn to #14 that year. It was more about execution than play-calling, so I'm not worried.

Is it poor play calling or at time poor execution of the play called...see SW interception against MSU...or a missed block by an HB on his run up the middle...

Is it poor play calling or at time poor execution of the play called...see SW interception against MSU...or a missed block by an HB on his run up the middle...

More often than not, it is poor execution.

Obviously finding a solid QB is vital for 2016 but I feel better going into 2016 knowing Malahn has fielded a top-25 pass offense in 7 of 10 seasons rather than 3 of 10 seasons.

wde

I already addressed the RZ comment from 2014. AU was No. 40 that year in RZ TD Pct. There were 2 dropped TD passes and a fumble inside the 5. Just those 3 plays alone would have bumped Auburn to #14 that year. It was more about execution than play-calling, so I'm not worried.

OK I will play along. Lets throw out all of the 2014 RZ problems as simply poor execution by the players themselves and had nothing to do with coaching or play calling. Back to 2016, we are not stable at the QB position. Does Gus get a pass if things continue to goes sideways or backwards on O because of the instability at the QB position?

wde

OK I will play along. Lets throw out all of the 2014 RZ problems as simply poor execution by the players themselves and had nothing to do with coaching or play calling. Back to 2016, we are not stable at the QB position. Does Gus get a pass if things continue to goes sideways or backwards on O because of the instability at the QB position?

See above for my thoughts on QB play.

wde

See above for my thoughts on QB play.

Did Gus have an "unstable" QB position decision at any of those 7 good years other than Chris Todd in 2009?

wde

Did Gus have an "unstable" QB position decision at any of those 7 good years other than Chris Todd in 2009?

wde

IMO, there was a level of uncertainty regarding the QB position going into 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015 because the eventual starter was starting for the 1st time in Malzahn's offense and had limited starting experience at the FBS level or had struggled before as a starter. In reality, only Malzahn knows the "stability" of his QB position going into 2016.

You mentioned the phrase, "giving him a pass". Not sure what you mean but I'm not advocating giving anyone a pass. I choose to judge any player or coach based on their entire history and not just one bad game or one bad season or for one good game or one good year. I try not to make emotional assumptions and try to stick with what actually has transpired rather than what I assume might occur. I was very critical of this 2015 season and pulled no punches during my post game Notes & Thoughts. The 2015 season and team are history and I will patiently wait to see how the 2016 team & season plays out.

wde

IMO, there was a level of uncertainty regarding the QB position going into 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015 because the eventual starter was starting for the 1st time in Malzahn's offense and had limited starting experience at the FBS level or had struggled before as a starter. In reality, only Malzahn knows the "stability" of his QB position going into 2016.

You mentioned the phrase, "giving him a pass". Not sure what you mean but I'm not advocating giving anyone a pass. I choose to judge any player or coach based on their entire history and not just one bad game or one bad season or for one good game or one good year. I try not to make emotional assumptions and try to stick with what actually has transpired rather than what I assume might occur. I was very critical of this 2015 season and pulled no punches during my post game Notes & Thoughts. The 2015 season and team are history and I will patiently wait to see how the 2016 team & season plays out.

This is all true and fair. Thanks.

wde

It's ok guys. It was a contraction.

He going to have a more Hand's on approach to the offense. See: Hand is on. This clearly means that Herb Hand will be more involved in the offense!

this is absolutely true

Where might we look for evidence of this? Blocking schemes and improved run game, playcalling, balance, or just improved offense?

I'll hang up and listen

That's the real rub with Gus's offense. In many aspects, it's "simple" compared to a lot of offenses that allow multiple positions to adjust based on the defense, but at the same time, it is very complex in the fact that it requires every part to be working simultaneously. There are a lot of plays in his playbook that require all but 2 players on the field to complete a choreographed task, with the right timing, to achieve maximum result, and even on those, the remaining 2 players need to sell that something different is happening. Look at the jet sweep. It requires the QB to sell a hand-off to the back or a pass, and then often pick-up a backside block. The tailback needs sell that he's getting the ball, then block. The line has specific blocking assignments. The receivers on the side where the sweep is going need to sell a pass and then pick-up blocks at the right time. Finally, the remaining receiver(s) need to sell pass. Any one of those things fail and its a loss of yardage play. They all succeed, just as Gus has it scripted, and you've got at least 10 yards if not a touchdown.

If the team can't get it, Gus falls back into "simplified" mode and we get run up the middle every play. Since it's like a dance, the only way to get it perfectly is to repeat it over and over again, and with the limited time given for practice, that means the guys need to work on it on their own time. I get the feeling, based on comments players are making about last Spring, that didn't happen much in the off-season last year.

But our guys did practice on their own in the offseason last year. A large majority of our players stayed at AU and never went home during the summer. They buckled down and became gym rats, working out and did great in conditioning the whole time. Our WRs/Qbs and most of the skill players ran routes, honed their timing patterns a studied the playbook, they practiced all summer long because for many, it was their first year starting. They were in great physical shape when official fall practice started, and our offense knew the playbook - the defense had to transition to Muschamp so they may have been behind the eight ball a little, but the offense was locked and loaded.

but the offense was locked and loaded.

In reality, Auburn had to replace way too many starters to be considered locked and loaded. I would consider 2014 locked and loaded coming off the 2013 season because of the return of many proven players on offense.

Most thought Jeremy Johnson could step in and play well at quarterback. The question mark would be his ability to run the football and his lack of experience.

Auburn had to replace their top-3 leading rushers in Cameron Artis-Payne, NIck Marshall and Corey Grant. (Never made up for the loss of Marshall in the running game and sadly, the passing game.) Never really replaced CAP until Robinson came into the lineup midway in the season.

Auburn had to replace 2 of their top-3 WR's and with Duke's shortcomings off the field, Auburn ended up having to replace their top-3 WR's. Ricardo Louis did a decent job but no one else stepped up in a consistent basis.

Auburn had to replace both TE's and failed to come close.

Auburn had to replace two starters off the OL and struggled in their attempt.

In total, Auburn had to replace 5302-yards and 47 TD's worth of production, which was the most asked of an Auburn offense probably since 1972. I expected a drop off on offense from 2014 but had hoped that JJ would live up to his hype. I actually thought Auburn got the most of the their running game considering the deficiencies in the pass-offense during 2015.

But our guys did practice on their own in the offseason last year. A large majority of our players stayed at AU and never went home during the summer. They buckled down and became gym rats, working out and did great in conditioning the whole time. Our WRs/Qbs and most of the skill players ran routes, honed their timing patterns a studied the playbook, they practiced all summer long because for many, it was their first year starting. They were in great physical shape when official fall practice started, and our offense knew the playbook - the defense had to transition to Muschamp so they may have been behind the eight ball a little, but the offense was locked and loaded.

That's good to hear. When you hear players saying that the talk of Spring camp, last year, was how they couldn't wait for Spring break, it makes you wonder how strong the motivation was. I honestly can't speak to the level of execution of the individual plays, last year, since we failed so frequently on personal execution at quarterback, wide receiver, and even a few times at running back. Maybe everyone was executing the overall plays properly, and it was individual mistakes in basic football that killed us. Of course, the constant need to substitute didn't help.

my opinion -- in the beginning of last fall camp, it was widely reported that the defense was getting the better of the offense in most of the scrimmages. we ALL should have known then the offense was in trouble. I stuck my head in the sand, but should have known better.

I was excited to hear the defense was getting the upper hand on our offense at the beginning of fall camp last year. Because I wanted so desperately for AU to have an elite defense on the field again. Muschamp is the best DC in the country and I felt like he and his staff were getting the most out of our players and they were getting those guys fired up and ready to play ball.

I didn't have doubts about the offense because I had been lead to believe that Jeremy after 2 yrs under Gus/Rhett's training was ready for the job, and with Duke & Ricardo's return along with Melvin Ray an our stable of RB's we'd be fine.

Agree. There was a lot of evidence of this last spring.

Stat, in my profession, we constantly hear "Data doesn't lie." I want to thank you for the extra work you put forth in laying out the facts. It's enough detail for the detail folks to be able to respect, and enough evidence for the read-between-the-line folks to be able to draw logical inferences. I do have to wonder...does, on occasion, poor execution LEAD to poor play-calling...sort of like having to use an inferior plan B when plan A doesn't work?

Stat, in my profession, we constantly hear "Data doesn't lie." I want to thank you for the extra work you put forth in laying out the facts. It's enough detail for the detail folks to be able to respect, and enough evidence for the read-between-the-line folks to be able to draw logical inferences. I do have to wonder...does, on occasion, poor execution LEAD to poor play-calling...sort of like having to use an inferior plan B when plan A doesn't work?

Yes...big ups to stat..

yes. When you can't trust your qb to challenge the middle of the field the defense stops covering it and sells out on the RBs and screen passes. It makes you predictable and forces the plays you do call to be executed to perfection.

yes. When you can't trust your qb to challenge the middle of the field the defense stops covering it and sells out on the RBs and screen passes. It makes you predictable and forces the plays you do call to be executed to perfection.

And when the defense stops covering the middle of the field, and you still don't have a QB that can exploit that, you are really in deep trouble.

Obviously we have a top 10 offensive coaching staff that is saddled with sub par player effort or production. My question is what is becoming of these top 10 recruiting classes. Why are they not getting it done when we have such good playcalling and guidance. Who's responsible. To me it's difficult to hold the players responsible when their coaches are knocking down millions of bucks. But hey if y'all wanna bury your heads and fault the players then that's your prerogative. From my seats that I've had for over a decade it's a pretty easy call.

Archived