So now that Southern Miss has pulled out

PChamp119

They claim another Division-IA opponent may not be possible. AKA... The Citadel will be receiving a letter to play us again.

Though a home game brings in lots of money for the football program and the university... would the Auburn football team (when it comes to the BCS and stuff) be better off not playing an 11th game at all?

I know we shouldn't plan on going undefeated and to not worry about the BCS, but it is a thought. Everyone was complaining about Citadel and ULM, tho most did know the real reason of scheduling those teams. Would Auburn get more beef for not playing then playing a D-IA opponent.

There needs to be some sort of rule in college football that says teams cannot backout - no matter what the circumstances are. I know this was a "mutual agreement" with no buyout, but now Auburn is stuck and screwed yet once again. Why can't they just move the game to a different date? I'm guessing USM has to play a conference game the weekend they would play us. So move our game at the end of the season or a week early.

First off I think playing ULM is fine. Secondly we do not, and I repeat do not need to play a D1AA school ever again. Thirdly, AU will fill the slot...based on money like you said above.

Now with that being said, it's up to Jacobs, Tubs, and Richardson/Lowder to come up with the opponent. Like subterranean_jack said earlier, here's a list of teams that have that week off, and could also play us.

ARKANSAS STATE

FLORIDA ATLANTIC

FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

FRESNO STATE

HOUSTON

KANSAS

LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE

MEMPHIS

NORTH TEXAS

RUTGERS

TOLEDO

TULANE

TULSA

WESTERN MICHIGAN

BUFFALO

BYU

COLORADO STATE

CONNECTICUT

KANSAS STATE

KENT STATE

LOUISVILLE

NEVADA

NORTH CAROLINA STATE

PITTSBURGH

SYRACUSE

UAB

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON STATE

With all these teams having the same off week, there is conceivably no reason why we shouldn't be playing a D1A school on sept 24, 2005. I've already sent an e-mail to Tubs, Jacobs, Housel, and Ed expressing my concern for scheduling a D1A school....as should everyone on this board.

Yes, it sucks that Southern Miss pulled out...but if we end up playing a D1AA school again, it's Auburn's fault.

all those teams may have the week off but that doesn't mean they can play the game. i'm sure their schedules are already full. and even if they aren't you don't see too many schools jumping on the chance to come to jordan-hare and lose. so those acc teams and big east teams are probably out of the question.

Ideally, we need to find a 1-A team that doesn't require a return game for just a one-time deal. At this point, I don't care if it is Florida Atlantic, Western Michigan or (even though it wouldn't happen) Louisville...a 1-A opponent is first and foremost.

I also think that if a team bails within one year of the game being played, that team should be responsible for finding its replacement. We've been on both sides of this coin (dropping FSU in '99) and it's just not right. I'm pretty sure we asked out of the series against Virginia Tech, but that wasn't going to come off for another 6-7 years...plenty of time to make other arrangements.

Something that I had forgotten about:

Nebraska and Houston were supposed to play in Houston this fall, but Nebraska (!) backed out several weeks ago. I don't know if UH has filled that open date yet, though.

Hansel,

I bet that ALOT of those teams on that list would jump at the chance to come to Auburn for a big pay day. NC St.? probably not, Buffalo or N.Texas or Ark. St. heck yeah

Hansel,

I bet that ALOT of those teams on that list would jump at the chance to come to Auburn for a big pay day. NC St.? probably not, Buffalo or N.Texas or Ark. St. heck yeah

138914[/snapback]

the smaller schools would but not the ones from the better conferences.

Well, Troy is looking for someone to play, because we only have 10 games for next season (Iowa State was supposed to come to Troy the first game of the season). When was the Southern Miss game supposed to occur?

Don't forget, we also have October 8th off if someone who is not as lazy as I am wants to see who is open then.

Don't forget, we also have October 8th off if someone who is not as lazy as I am wants to see who is open then.

138955[/snapback]

There is at least one honest person posting on this board! :big::big:

138955[/snapback]

yes, good thinking man! So once again there should be absolutely no way we should be playing a D1AA school...and if so it's the Admin's fault.

:au:

I haven't read anywhere about S. Miss pulling out. I haven't even heard of it til I read it here. I need sources and links please! Otherwise, sit down, chill out, and STFU!

139164[/snapback]

:lol: you suck man...you're the one who needs to sit down chill and shut up

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/foot...ernmiss.aub.ap/

seriously, is google that hard?

creampuff just got owned.

Good eye, luke...truly no excuse for not getting a 1-A opponent.

get over it men. I asked for sources and links, and that is what you gave me. I still think you rookies need to sit down and chill out.

139222[/snapback]

:blink: you're laughable.

rookies? nice 7 posts :roflol:

It's going to be long 7 months before football.  Looks like some of us need to switch to decaf a little earlier in the day. :big:

139246[/snapback]

:lol:

i do seriously miss college football

Heh...I'm glad I like college hoops and college baseball. That'll get me to June, at least.

You guys definitely need a I-A opponent if you can swing it. But if it comes down to a I-AA, at least it's on the record that we asked. From Saturday's Anniston Star:

Jacksonville State would be interested in helping the Tigers fill their void.

Head coach Jack Crowe said Friday he called Tuberville and new Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs, a one-time finalist for the AD’s job at Jax State, but had not received an answer by the end of the business day.

"I think they have an excuse to fill it with a I-AA team and one locally, to be honest with you," Crowe said.

The Gamecocks are scheduled to open their Ohio Valley Conference schedule against Southeast Missouri that day, but Crowe would hope there would be support to move the game if JSU could get the game with Auburn.

JSU has been trying to finalize its schedule. It has been in contact with Pitt, Indiana and Eastern Washington for I-A games, Furman, Nicholls State and Wofford for I-AA games.

Auburn opens the 2005 season with one solid non-conference opponent, Sept. 3, against Georgia Tech at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

If you've gotta play down, why not keep the guarantee money in-state?

Congrats on a great 2004 season, Tiger fans. Here's hoping you poor I-A folks will get a playoff someday. It works, and it's good.

moe and SLAG-91

so you guys are the e-dorks who troll this place and act big and bad. Good for you guys. I spend my time more wisely with my life. In the future, if I have any question regarding AU football I'll be sure to come here and post a request of information instead of looking it up myself. I also apologize for not being such an AU football dork, again, I have much better things in my life to do than sit around waiting for new AU football info to come out.

haven't we already started this topic?

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14996

p.s. creampuff, welcome to the board. typically, the mods or admin will shut down a topic if no sources or links are found; however, in this case, this subject has been brought up multiple times and i believe there is an explaination and a source (not on the link above).

get over it men. I asked for sources and links, and that is what you gave me. I still think you rookies need to sit down and chill out.

139222[/snapback]

:ua::homer: Alert!!!!!

It doesn't matter if we schedule USC or Citadel High, they'll find plenty of reasons to screw us. (see Kirk, Lee and the rest of followers) Remember every other team we played was GREAT, until we beat them.

Oh, and can someone mention the plane trip to Louisville one more time!

Archived