Story On Barber

Texan4Auburn

A FA contract is still solid. Maybe won't be able to buy his mom the big house, but an apartment is still better than nothing.

It's a good start indeed...and the rest should be up to her?

450k is the league minimum so I think they will be OK if he is able to get a roster spot.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A FA contract is still solid. Maybe won't be able to buy his mom the big house, but an apartment is still better than nothing.

450k is the league minimum so I think they will be OK if he is able to get a roster spot.

True but i notice his Combine numbers were not good....near the back of the pack for RBs....gonna have win it on the field if he gets a chance. And BTW,,,practice squad players....which is probably his best bet....earn nowhere near that much money...but they do OK for the weeks they get paid.

True but i notice his Combine numbers were not good....near the back of the pack for RBs....gonna have win it on the field if he gets a chance. And BTW,,,practice squad players....which is probably his best bet....earn nowhere near that much money...but they do OK for the weeks they get paid.

True, but if he does go practice squad for a full season it is still a 6 figure payout. 100k or little over is what I have seen.

I hope he gets picked up. Maybe at the worst get one of those special team slots that land you on the roster.

Only number I saw that wasn't good was the 40. He excelled in his agility drills

Only number I saw that wasn't good was the 40. He excelled in his agility drills

Others were ave or a little below. His best bet is to be like CAP. That is not a bad gig, well paid and gets him on the correct path for the future

I am appalled at the elitism of the responses. To suggest he could legitimately get a well paying job with the amount of time demanded on them is a joke. Don't give me the 20 hrs a week max as they spend a min of 2x that amount if they actually play.

I completely believe we are all responsible for our actions, blah, blah blah but there were also a lot of opportunities provided to me and most likely you that some others were never offered, paving our way. Damn it is easy to criticize when you're not the one.

Sounds like a ton of other students at Auburn University that take full loads and then work at restaurants, grocery stores etc for minimum wage. Just they don't get tuition, books, food, utilities, rent, insurance, and tutors included in the gig. They walk away with debt.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he can get a well-paying job. Noone is acting like they can play football and get a 60k a year gig at the same time. Fact I think with the new cost of living stipend (which athletics is trying to get raised which will impact aid and costs for regular students) they make more than a student that takes the same class load and works the same amount of hours they do.

I did the collegiate athlete thing. I've done and I'm doing the work/loan thing now with my MBA. I will take the athlete route over work/loans. No elitism in that, just a opinion and preference based on actual experience.

And noone is criticizing him, it is a discussion of should college athletes be paid. In fact I have defended both Barber and his mother in this thread.

To judge one based on your ability or others you may know is unfathomable. Yes they get treated royally while on campus and they don't have the worries about eating at Sewell Hall ( I know it is no longer there) but there is a lot more to the story. Football players cannot have a job during fall or winter semesters and do what is required of them. Not everyone learns at the same rate as you. The stipends they will receive is based on the fact that that boy has zero money to go get a Coke at QT yet he brings in millions for the university. Something is wrong with that and thus it is changing.

The only numbers that were surprising or bad were his strength numbers. Like I said his agility numbers were as good as everybody and he's a big back. He either needs to lose some of that weight or hit the gym and get even stronger...his combine was far from a flop though. It just didn't set the world on fire

The only numbers that were surprising or bad were his strength numbers. Like I said his agility numbers were as good as everybody and he's a big back. He either needs to lose some of that weight or hit the gym and get even stronger...his combine was far from a flop though. It just didn't set the world on fire

Unfortunately puts him among about 50 other guys with similar speed and size. He has a big hill to climb but has overcome some stuff in the past and might be able to make it ....needs that first opportunity to get on the field somewhere. ...and that's always an issue.

I didn't think anybody thought he was going to wow the combine with speed and agility.....actually I take that back with some of the rebuttal I got for saying he wasn't fast or explosive I guess some were thinking that

He did better than I thought he would

Of the "Average" group he was in, some of those guys will get a chance. That is where the intangibles will be considered. Work ethic, attitude, competitiveness ... Peyton may well be at the head of the intangibles list. Doesn't sound like he will get drafted, but may be a first selection as a FA. How did his hands look?

I don't think they've done that stuff yet. That's why I'm saying it's too early to say RIP to his dreams.

Also I thought was intriguing, the hb for San Jose st excelled at everything but I remember people complaining about letting him run over us....now that he's showed to be a superior athlete is ok? Just because some guys play for smaller schools doesn't mean they aren't incredible athletes

I don't think they've done that stuff yet. That's why I'm saying it's too early to say RIP to his dreams.

Also I thought was intriguing, the hb for San Jose st excelled at everything but I remember people complaining about letting him run over us....now that he's showed to be a superior athlete is ok? Just because some guys play for smaller schools doesn't mean they aren't incredible athletes

WRONG...if they don't play in the SEC they are obviously inferior....you must not be paying attention to the experts on this board.

WRONG...if they don't play in the SEC they are obviously inferior....you must not be paying attention to the experts on this board.

What I ended up doing was making myself an expert so now if there's a debate it's just two message board professionals who disagree!

What I ended up doing was making myself an expert so now if there's a debate it's just two message board professionals who disagree!

O....K......I guess I understand that....and good luck....

I am appalled at the elitism of the responses. To suggest he could legitimately get a well paying job with the amount of time demanded on them is a joke. Don't give me the 20 hrs a week max as they spend a min of 2x that amount if they actually play.

I completely believe we are all responsible for our actions, blah, blah blah but there were also a lot of opportunities provided to me and most likely you that some others were never offered, paving our way. Damn it is easy to criticize when you're not the one.

Sounds like a ton of other students at Auburn University that take full loads and then work at restaurants, grocery stores etc for minimum wage. Just they don't get tuition, books, food, utilities, rent, insurance, and tutors included in the gig. They walk away with debt.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he can get a well-paying job. Noone is acting like they can play football and get a 60k a year gig at the same time. Fact I think with the new cost of living stipend (which athletics is trying to get raised which will impact aid and costs for regular students) they make more than a student that takes the same class load and works the same amount of hours they do.

I did the collegiate athlete thing. I've done and I'm doing the work/loan thing now with my MBA. I will take the athlete route over work/loans. No elitism in that, just a opinion and preference based on actual experience.

And noone is criticizing him, it is a discussion of should college athletes be paid. In fact I have defended both Barber and his mother in this thread.

To judge one based on your ability or others you may know is unfathomable. Yes they get treated royally while on campus and they don't have the worries about eating at Sewell Hall ( I know it is no longer there) but there is a lot more to the story. Football players cannot have a job during fall or winter semesters and do what is required of them. Not everyone learns at the same rate as you. The stipends they will receive is based on the fact that that boy has zero money to go get a Coke at QT yet he brings in millions for the university. Something is wrong with that and thus it is changing.

What are you talking about? I'm not judging anyone off there abilities or how well they learn.

It is simply this:

Scenario A: Go to school full time. Work a job that pays 8.50 a hour. Take out 30k in loans to pay tuition. If need, then pay 20 dollars a hour for a tutor. Using some money I already had, combined with some of the loan, and from job along with credit cards, pay for rent, food, utilities, books, etc..Then pay all that back and off as I can down the road.

Scenario B: Go to school on athletic scholarship. Be full time student. Play sport I have played since I was child and want to continue playing. Get exposure, training, and opportunity to perhaps make a career out of said sport. Provided food, provided tuition, provided books, provided utilities, provided food, provided the best tutors on campus, get free gift bags providing hundreds of dollars in electronics, provided clothing, walk away from Auburn University with a degree DEBT FREE, have the powerful connections and networking being an athlete at Auburn will provide you with. Did I mention DEBT FREE.

I don't know about you but I'm taking Scenario B every single time. Which is what I said above. I will take the athlete route over the work/loan.

And if "boy" doesn't have the money to get a coke at the QT then "boy" shouldn't be at Skybar in the middle of the week paying 5 dollar cover charges, drinking multiple 3 dollar beers, and doing multiple 5 dollar plus shots and tipping the hottie serving them trying to get into her pants.

So which would you choose? Scenario A or Scenario B.

What are you talking about? I'm not judging anyone off there abilities or how well they learn.

It is simply this:

Scenario A: Go to school full time. Work a job that pays 8.50 a hour. Take out 30k in loans to pay tuition. If need, then pay 20 dollars a hour for a tutor. Using some money I already had, combined with some of the loan, and from job along with credit cards, pay for rent, food, utilities, books, etc..Then pay all that back and off as I can down the road.

Scenario B: Go to school on athletic scholarship. Be full time student. Play sport I have played since I was child and want to continue playing. Get exposure, training, and opportunity to perhaps make a career out of said sport. Provided food, provided tuition, provided books, provided utilities, provided food, provided the best tutors on campus, get free gift bags providing hundreds of dollars in electronics, provided clothing, walk away from Auburn University with a degree DEBT FREE, have the powerful connections and networking being an athlete at Auburn will provide you with. Did I mention DEBT FREE.

I don't know about you but I'm taking Scenario B every single time. Which is what I said above. I will take the athlete route over the work/loan.

And if "boy" doesn't have the money to get a coke at the QT then "boy" shouldn't be at Skybar in the middle of the week paying 5 dollar cover charges, drinking multiple 3 dollar beers, and doing multiple 5 dollar plus shots and tipping the hottie serving them trying to get into her pants.

You are so full of it. You said they can do all 3; go to school, play ball ( they only spend 20 hr/wk at football), and get a job. Fact is they cannot because the amount of time they spend working on football during both semesters.

Now you are asking which is better or which one would you'd want to do? Everyone would agree that the scholar/athlete route instead of paying back the loans would be preferred. But the fact is they bring in a sh:t ton of money to the university and sacrifice a heck of a lot in the name of the university and they will get a stipend because of it and deserve one. Concerning a stipend, a debate already happened, and a stipend won

It is simply this:

You are so full of it. You said they can do all 3; go to school, play ball ( they only spend 20 hr/wk at football), and get a job. Fact is they cannot because the amount of time they spend working on football during both semesters.

Now you are asking which is better or which one would you'd want to do? Everyone would agree that the scholar/athlete route instead of paying back the loans would be preferred. But the fact is they bring in a sh:t ton of money to the university and sacrifice a heck of a lot in the name of the university and they will get a stipend because of it and deserve one. Concerning a stipend, a debate already happened, and a stipend won

Your reading comprehension sucks ass man.

Reread what you quoted. Paragraph 1 - On athletics being a job (which it is).... plenty of other students work jobs with just as long or more hours . Paragraph 2 - No they can't work enough to make 60k a year and make more than minimum wage with stipend. Paragraph 3 - My personal experience (so I'm very well aware of time consumption) and the one I would choose every-time having done both.

Far as saying they can do all 3 that is a general statement and they can if they choose to do so. The statement was made they were not allowed to have jobs by another individual, which I corrected. Plenty of athletes in other time consuming sports that take advantage of Proposition 62 (including individuals that have won national championships in their sport) and plenty of football players across the nation that take advantage of working their teams Summer Camps.

Take a look at Stanford's football program:

Cardinal players are cashing in on a one-of-a-kind resource run by the football office. About 50 to 70 work as paid interns in the offseason as part of The 12th Man Summer Jobs Program, which connects players with employers.

Players land jobs throughout Silicon Valley in everything from technology startups, law firms, venture capital firms, banks, medical research, insurance agencies and hotels to tutoring services and public policy work. The program helps players afford to stay near campus so they can participate in voluntary offseason workouts.

http://collegefootba...beyond-football

So apparently at Stanford nearly all the scholarship players can work quality internships during the summer (even 40 hours a week), and participate in summer drills as well as put together 10 win Championship seasons.

So I guess Fact is Stanford athletes > Auburn athletes on and off the field then.

Apparently Harbaugh will bring this to Michigan:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/06/michigans_jim_harbaugh_allowin.html

Also to add in I notice you said both semesters, the summer is usually also added in to the debate also with plenty saying they can not work in the summers either.

"Poor" students, including athletes, are eligible for pell grants if I'm not mistaken

The stipend is an addition, is it not?

Yes it is. Older article on number of, amount, and type of athletes in Alabama getting pell grants

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/pell_grants_for_players_divisi.html

I'm not saying these kids have a good situation, but they can eat and take their girl to the movie. Quite frankly, you aren't trying hard if you can't figure out cheap entertainment.. All of my entertainment was the school provided stuff - if you pay attention, the university provides tons of things to do - including movies.

Of course the answer has always been - if a college athlete feels taken advantage of ... Then stop playing and pay your own way to college. It is an extracurricular that no one has ever forced upon you. You also knew the deal going in. It isn't a surprise. Your welcome to be a college student just like all the others who are paying their own way.

I'm not saying these kids have a good situation, but they can eat and take their girl to the movie. Quite frankly, you aren't trying hard if you can't figure out cheap entertainment.. All of my entertainment was the school provided stuff - if you pay attention, the university provides tons of things to do - including movies.

Of course the answer has always been - if a college athlete feels taken advantage of ... Then stop playing and pay your own way to college. It is an extracurricular that no one has ever forced upon you. You also knew the deal going in. It isn't a surprise. Your welcome to be a college student just like all the others who are paying their own way.

Also the discussion seems to assume that all of our athletes arrive at AU from public housing or something. Check the bios and most of the kids grew up in relatively normal family lives, many with two parents and or at least one working parent. There are untold programs to help those from the bottom of the economic ladder. And I will once again express my admiration for the 100 or more male and female athletes..... in all sports. who are not on full scholarship and yet are in school playing a favorite sport working just as hard as their scholarship brothers and sisters with almost none of the benefits.

And I wonder why we always focus on the football team....as if they are the entire athletic program. Anyone check on the economic status of students in the other 19 competitive sports at AU? Why is no one eager to help them out with generous stipends.....they are wearing Auburn colors with the big AU....representing the school.

my kid is a soccer player ... those 1/4 scholarships have us all geeked up about her playing for all of that cash!

... or maybe she will simply play because she loves it ... or not ... and simply we will help her pay for her college (praying for academic money!)

my kid is a soccer player ... those 1/4 scholarships have us all geeked up about her playing for all of that cash!

... or maybe she will simply play because she loves it ... or not ... and simply we will help her pay for her college (praying for academic money!)

Understand...I have twin grand children ...very bright but un-athletic.... graduating HS this year and their mother's sole occupation the past 6 months has been trying to find academic scholarship money for them. Getting some good responses from out of state schools but a long way to go.

Good luck to you....

Reason why football is being discussed is because the other sports, minus mens bball, don't bring in any money. Football players do so in my eyes they should see some of the $. If equestrian brought in tons of revenue I'd be singing the same tune for them.

Reason why football is being discussed is because the other sports, minus mens bball, don't bring in any money. Football players do so in my eyes they should see some of the $. If equestrian brought in tons of revenue I'd be singing the same tune for them.

But in Equestrian, don't the horses really do all of the work?

Archived