Malzahn and Briles get together

AUGoo

some of ya'll saying Gus might be teaching Art how to run the ball makes me laugh. Baylor runs more than most people think. they had 645 yards on the ground vs UNC. in comparison, Georgia Tech only put up 249 yards rushing vs UNC. Art knows offense. doesn't matter who he has, they'll score points. something Gus hasn't figured out yet.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baylor was THIRD in the nation last year in rushing. They run the ball too. They do whatever it takes to get yards and points. UNC in the bowl game opted to take away the pass and they absolutely obliterated UNC's defense on the ground.

Baylor averaged 326 yards per game rushing last season. Think about that coupled with a dynamic, explosive pass offense. Incredible. Imagine if they had their real QB playing for most of the year.

Our WRs route running was awf5. I was a if the play was just designed to got to one WR and the other WRs just halfa**ed it on routes.... Yes i know there is a first otion and stuff like that, but our WRs act like there was no second or third option or even a check down WRs.... just sayin....

This is just not correct. AU had WR's running wide open last year. QB play and drops were the problem.

Dangers of the digital age. People see one video of receivers dropping off their routes before a play is complete and it becomes the norm in their minds.

Briles and Malzahn both advocate something called the "hurry up no huddle offense". That's where their similarities end. Their philosophies are profoundly different and they are quite different offenses. Gus is more interested in establishing a run than Briles has ever been and Gus uses the HUNH selectively and sporadically when defenses are in his mind most vulnerable (e.g. after big plays and other first downs). Briles is more into constant up tempo which obviously works against his conference's athletes but which Gus wrote in his book runs the risk of defenses getting accustomed to the speed as a game wears on. Gus is tempo, Briles is a HUNH purest.

Point being, Gus is probably not the only one asking questions over their single malts.

That and Gus hasn't run a true HUNH in over 2 years.

Seems he's just running a slow, no huddle. (SLNH)

It's actually a HUSHT, Hurry Up and Substitute Half of the Team

This may just be wishful thinking, but right after CGM meets with Art Briles, AU offers 4 elite WR. I pray this means that hard headed Gus if finally going to play wide open offence

This makes me extremely happy!! I'd love to see our passing game borrow some stuff from Baylor

Maybe he can ask him how he managed to do so well when his top 3 QBs went down

I get your intent but Baylor lost 2 out of their last 3 and 3 out of their last 5, so not sure what there is to learn from that.

Look who they play the last few weeks every season... OU,TCU,OSU all crammed into the last few games for them. Tough couple of weeks.

Our WRs route running was awf5. I was a if the play was just designed to got to one WR and the other WRs just halfa**ed it on routes.... Yes i know there is a first otion and stuff like that, but our WRs act like there was no second or third option or even a check down WRs.... just sayin....

This is just not correct. AU had WR's running wide open last year. QB play and drops were the problem.

Route running wasn't consistent either

Briles and Malzahn both advocate something called the "hurry up no huddle offense". That's where their similarities end. Their philosophies are profoundly different and they are quite different offenses. Gus is more interested in establishing a run than Briles has ever been and Gus uses the HUNH selectively and sporadically when defenses are in his mind most vulnerable (e.g. after big plays and other first downs). Briles is more into constant up tempo which obviously works against his conference's athletes but which Gus wrote in his book runs the risk of defenses getting accustomed to the speed as a game wears on. Gus is tempo, Briles is a HUNH purest.

Point being, Gus is probably not the only one asking questions over their single malts.

That and Gus hasn't run a true HUNH in over 2 years.

Seems he's just running a slow, no huddle. (SLNH)

Haha..yeah it's called HUNH every third series. Or every fifth or sixth first down depending on the spot on the field and which personnel we have on the field.

does it not seem odd that if rhett is our oc then why did he not go with gus? i have not seen anything on rhett going with him. this tells me that gus ultimately calls the plays.

does it not seem odd that if rhett is our oc then why did he not go with gus? i have not seen anything on rhett going with him. this tells me that gus ultimately calls the plays.

From my understanding Gus did not meet with Briles' OC. Who knows what all they talked about...could have been defense, special teams, or practice prep for all we know.

May be harder to leave with young children and another on the way. Just a possibility.

Crisp route running was actually something accredited to Louis in his evaluation.

"Former "catch-and-run" receiver who proved effective with more complex routes. Gets open downfield with crisp routes and acceleration out of his breaks."

Crisp route running was actually something accredited to Louis in his evaluation.

"Former "catch-and-run" receiver who proved effective with more complex routes. Gets open downfield with crisp routes and acceleration out of his breaks."

Don't you know the AU Family football experts know more than the guys that get paid to do it....sarcasm lol

Don't remember a particular player but I do know many times this season our wr would pull up on routes right in front of the first down marker....doesn't take an expert to know we should be getting first downs....doesn't take an expert to know the wr should extend the route a yard or two...maybe just a little advanced knowledge but not much....But DEFINITELY a little more than it takes to claim a wr coach wasn't good because a wr dropped balls....

Too bad he dropped 5 out of 10 thrown his way at AU.

We need an OC like Briles Jr. He could really help our offense.

We just need to get rid of Lashlee and so Malzahn calls 100% of the offense.

Doesn't this contradict the commonly accepted theory that Malzahn's passing schemes, route trees, etc. are elementary and unacceptable for this level of football?

Not really...Oregon's WRs are always running open and they dumb down their offense to the same level AU does to increase the speed they are operating at. AU just uses the simplistic offense at a not-so-fast pace which is REALLY putting our O at a disadvantage

Not really...Oregon's WRs are always running open and they dumb down their offense to the same level AU does to increase the speed they are operating at. AU just uses the simplistic offense at a not-so-fast pace which is REALLY putting our O at a disadvantage

I was really addressing the unacceptable part more than the elementary part. Quite frankly, I don't care how simple, dumbed down, or whatever it is if it works. Many here have moaned and wailed that Gus' pass offense puts us at a disadvantage because of its simplistic, high school level routes. My point is that common thought and the statement "receivers running wide open " are contradictory. And btw, I am not implying that WDE is contradicting himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't this contradict the commonly accepted theory that Malzahn's passing schemes, route trees, etc. are elementary and unacceptable for this level of football?

I wouldn't think so. Malzahn's schemes, when the playcalling mixes things up, leaves receivers in 1:1 matchups. It's not so good on 3rd & 8, but the rest of the time, everything is play action.

Archived