Need help with my marching orders please.

The Plainsman

Agree totally with CGM CRL and JJ being gone. So tired of all the soap opera going on down on the plains. I do not know of another SEC school that goes through this year after year.

Correct... No other program shoots themselves in the foot quite like AU. When it's good, it's really good! Unfortunately, there's been more bad than good lately...

Gus is not good for AU moving forward. Jay Jacobs loves Auburn, but he's not a very good business man. He's just not a very good athletic director. As long as he's here, we will keep making bad hires... especially at football. He's gotten some BAD advice.

Can you elaborate in any way as to who those advisors are and why JJ is listening to them? Not a challenge--sincerely asking out of curiosity.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree totally with CGM CRL and JJ being gone. So tired of all the soap opera going on down on the plains. I do not know of another SEC school that goes through this year after year.

Correct... No other program shoots themselves in the foot quite like AU. When it's good, it's really good! Unfortunately, there's been more bad than good lately...

Gus is not good for AU moving forward. Jay Jacobs loves Auburn, but he's not a very good business man. He's just not a very good athletic director. As long as he's here, we will keep making bad hires... especially at football. He's gotten some BAD advice.

Can you elaborate in any way as to who those advisors are and why JJ is listening to them?

Can you elaborate in any way as to who those advisors are and why JJ is listening to them?

Got it! :) Wish the advisors knew as much about football as they must about accumulating wealth if their input is why we seem to struggle along!

Got it! :)/> Wish the advisors knew as much about football as they must about accumulating wealth if their input is why we seem to struggle along!

Well, it appear (to me anyways) that, at least for this year, those "advisors" have been shut out of the decision making in the football program...which I assume is why they're all pissed right now about their best connection with the team (DC) being "allowed to leave". This may be last chance for many years to succeed without their meddling. Should Gus fail this way, they'll feel as empowered as ever when they run him out. Again, I don't know for sure if this is case, but it APPEARS (to me) to be. For all those that complain about the "powers that be" who are always accused of meddling in the programs...this may be your best chance to get them to back out a little (should Gus succeed)

Got it! :)/> Wish the advisors knew as much about football as they must about accumulating wealth if their input is why we seem to struggle along!

Well, it appear (to me anyways) that, at least for this year, those "advisors" have been shut out of the decision making in the football program...which I assume is why they're all pissed right now about their best connection with the team (DC) being "allowed to leave". This may be last chance for many years to succeed without their meddling. Should Gus fail this way, they'll feel as empowered as ever when they run him out. Again, I don't know for sure if this is case, but it APPEARS (to me) to be. For all those that complain about the "powers that be" who are always accused of meddling in the programs...this may be your best chance to get them to back out a little (should Gus succeed)

assuming this isn't sarcasm....?

But you're saying that DC was essentially infiltrating Gus's offense on someone else's behalf and that's why Gus didn't care if he left?

Gus bringing in Kodi was all his own idea and should he succeed with the hire he'll get more...responsibility..?

assuming this isn't sarcasm....?

But you're saying that DC was essentially infiltrating Gus's offense on someone else's behalf and that's why Gus didn't care if he left?

Gus bringing in Kodi was all his own idea and should he succeed with the hire he'll get more...responsibility..?

You missed it. I was saying DC was the last connection those guys had to the staff. Not that he was infiltrating anything. The decision not to pull out all the stops to keep him was also apparently against all the wishes of those ptb so he effectively pushed them out. Not implying DC did anything of the sort.

We sure do have a bunch of whiney wimps on this message board. Our biggest problem has been turnover in head coaches. Now the hand-wringers want to do THAT all over again.

Gus & Co. can and most likely will have a team that shows big improvement next year. Get used to the idea, even if you hate it.

Interesting theory and this could very well be the case.

Interesting theory and this could very well be the case.

It's just that...a theory. WDE has said that Gus has lost almost all of his "support". One would have to assume that also mean he would be losing almost all of the meddling (assuming there was meddling of course). I don't think DC has done anything wrong here, but if he and GM were at odds, maybe the cracks spread during the last year and we saw the effects :dunno: if so, I have to give Craig even more respect for sticking it out through signing day. That would indicate he wanted to leave his alma mater in the best shape he could.

I guess I'm in the minority but I like our present coaching staff better than the staff we entered spring practice with in 2015.

Continuity wise maybe so. Craig was a great coach but he certainly wasn't a yes man that deferred 100% to Malzahns offense. I think having a bunch of disciples as assistant coaches is pretty dangerous but that is just me. How we are going to replace the recruiter in Craig I have no clue.

I guess I'm in the minority but I like our present coaching staff better than the staff we entered spring practice with in 2015.

I agree. Coach Hothead was going to bail on us at the first opportunity anyway and take his followers with him. Now that's done and over with. I'm not particularly thrilled to see Craig leave but bringing Burns back will probably mean better on-field WR performance and a less effective recruiter. That may be a swap that helps us, at least in the short term. There are others that can recruit if Burns isn't good at it, but for all we know Kodi will be a great recruiter.

The soap opera is this board with so called insiders posting massive amounts of BS like the know something. There are only a couple of people on here that have some knowledge of what goes on. If someone is constantly being propped up as insider they usually are not.

I agree. Coach Hothead was going to bail on us at the first opportunity anyway and take his followers with him. Now that's done and over with. I'm not particularly thrilled to see Craig leave but bringing Burns back will probably mean better on-field WR performance and a less effective recruiter. That may be a swap that helps us, at least in the short term. There are others that can recruit if Burns isn't good at it, but for all we know Kodi will be a great recruiter.

To be honest I don't see Kodi doing well at all recruiting wise. He has no clue what he's doing

To be honest I don't see Kodi doing well at all recruiting wise. He has no clue what he's doing

Not only that, what kind of recruiting networks does he have?

And you know this because how? He tried to recruit your son? A nephew?

And you know this because how? He tried to recruit your son? A nephew?

Because I'm using actual logic Mikey. He recruited at MTSU For ONE year. MTSU is a completely different ball game compared to SEC recruiting. That's not arguable.

More than likely Kodi isn't ready and I think we will take a major hit on the recruiting trail because of it. He's really young but his resume is literally nothing compared to the coaches he will be competing against in living rooms. He better wear all his rings when he's meeting with prospects. I hope I'm wrong but realistically speaking if it was so easy to be a top recruiter and position coach, especially at an SEC power, we'd see more 27 year olds doing it.

Clayton, he never even had an opportunity to recruit at Arizona State. He was only on staff for a month. He has no Power 5 recruiting experience at all.

Clayton, he never even had an opportunity to recruit at Arizona State. He was only on staff for a month. He has no Power 5 recruiting experience at all.

I realized that after I typed. My apologies! Just proves my point more.

Archived