Q & A with me.

WarDamnEagleWDE

I know most are concentrated on 2016 as am I. But I am curious if there are any 2017 guys close to pulling the trigger? I know we got a few commits around this time last year.

Not sure. Think Ignot(sp) is very close.

Trey Bishop & Markail Benton are possibilities also.

AU vs uat for Benton. Will be ugly.

other than #30?

Tre is the last 1 and he does count.

That was my question, the last one besides him

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know most are concentrated on 2016 as am I. But I am curious if there are any 2017 guys close to pulling the trigger? I know we got a few commits around this time last year.

other than #30?

Tre is the last 1 and he does count.

That was my question, the last one besides him

I know it was & my point was that was a quality W. TBH I don't know that we won another LB battle against them in the Saban era.

You know folks. I would think that there are other 4&5 star LBs other than those hand picked by bammer. I wish we would focus on some of these young men and just forget what bammer is doing. We always seem to have nice highly rated classes year end and out. I cannot remember when we had a class that was outside the top 15.

I feel that 2016 is going to be a pivotal year for us. If we can have a 9-3 type season, this will signal a sign of stability for the program and will usher in a lot of good things. We can feed off of that positive momentum and take it to our across state rival on the field and the recruiting field as well. We have no choice but to come through in a big way for 2016.

If stability is the key to successful recruiting (Pat Dye once said it is) then can we drop all the nonsense about "If Gus doesn't win X number of games he'll be fired"? The last thing this program needs is another coaching turnover. We keep blowing our own foot off.

We've got a good HC and a good staff. Let's give them time to do their job without all the "gotta win" foolishness.

If stability is the key to successful recruiting (Pat Dye once said it is) then can we drop all the nonsense about "If Gus doesn't win X number of games he'll be fired"? The last thing this program needs is another coaching turnover. We keep blowing our own foot off.

We've got a good HC and a good staff. Let's give them time to do their job without all the "gotta win" foolishness.

The logical people on here agree but that's just simply how many close to the program look at it. And unfortunately they carry more weight than us.

JMO but I think Steele & the D staff remains even if Gus is let go next year.

There's almost no chance that's true. No head coach is saddled with guys he didn't hire. The only one that comes to mind is Muschamp getting stuck with Weiss, and that was a complete disaster.

I'm sure R.Evans would of said the same. Just sayin

That said, if he wants to be here, and is a quality LB, let's suit him up!

That's a murky issue in regards 2 Evans.......s0me things are just different.

The logical people on here agree but that's just simply how many close to the program look at it. And unfortunately they carry more weight than us.

If we have 2 endure an0ther HC change after next seas0n it will set us back an0ther 2-4 years......

There's almost no chance that's true. No head coach is saddled with guys he didn't hire. The only one that comes to mind is Muschamp getting stuck with Weiss, and that was a complete disaster.

I never said nor implied a potential new HC will be saddled w/ them. My opinion is if there is a HC change & the D plays descient I think a new HC would choose to keep them.

Excellent thread!

So sorry I missed the Q&A. Had work to deal with.

Kickin back with a couple of Manhattans. Hehe. Keep up the good work guys.

Damn I missed it. WDE, when you come back, I was wondering about Nigel Warrier. Is he a Tenn lock or do we really have a chance. You did not put him in your group of people you think will sign, but I have been hearing he may visit us again.

UT

So does that mean he is a Bama lock?

In all seriousness, when was the last time we went toe to toe with Bama for a LB they REALLY wanted, and the LB sign with us other than #30? Bama has more talent in their 3rd string than we do as an entire LB unit. This is due to a whole mess of things. Like constant turnover of defensive staff (can't build relationships with HS coaches,) getting played by recruits, and just dropping the ball. As much as I don't like saying his name, Ruben Foster got a huge AU tattoo prior to signing day, and STILL ultimately signs with Bama. Granted, I know a lot had to do with the Chizik regime turnover, and the subsequent coaches that were brought in... But it's just one thing after another. We get a recruit commit at an All-Star game (if memory serves me) and the kid has some piece of fruit take him and basically hide him there until he gives in to Bama. It's one thing after another going against them for a LB they REALLY want, and if it's business as usual, and as you said WDE that it "will be ugly," why not put the effort into someone we actually have a good chance to sign? I mean EVERY year it's the same story about LBs...

I'm not suggesting we concede and let Bama have their pick of just ANYONE. We CAN go toe to toe with them and win in almost EVERY other position. But Little Nicky has something to hypnotize LBs, some sort of voodoo Magik. They would rather go there and sit on the bench for 2 to 4 years, rather than signing with us, and playing from day 1. I just dont understand it, and I don't see the point of doing it over AGAIN. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. And we have done the same thing over and over since Bynes signed. I used to think Mikey was just exaggerating, but it has surfaced itself as a real issue...

This is all just my personal opinion of course. And i dont get paid millions to make recruiting decisions, but if we as simple fans can see a real issue with LBs, why can't the coaches we pay millions for see the same? Maybe they can. Maybe that's why CGM hired TWill full time. He is still young. I have full confidence TWill could become the best recruiter on the team and become the force CDC is on the offensive side.

I apologize for my rambling. It's just frustrating.

Not a bama lock at all. Just a player that Saban really wants. Helps that Benton is in AU's back yard.

If Gus can get over himself & get some decent QB play AU will be pretty good next year. Lawson & Adams coming back is HUGE.

If Gus can get over himself & get some decent QB play AU will be pretty good next year. Lawson & Adams coming back is HUGE.

If by over himself you mean listen to his coaches then I agree.

This.

Thanks for this thread, tremendously insightful. The '"get over himself" comment is yet another example of Gus being Spurrier IMO.

fwiw, wings go best w/ Rolling Rock - unless one of the many quality Canadian brews is available.

If we have 2 endure an0ther HC change after next seas0n it will set us back an0ther 2-4 years......

^^ Agree with you 3. The constant swapping out of coaches is causing great harm to our program. If Gus is fired after next season, what quality coach would dare come to us without a salary and guarantee that is off the charts high? We badly need stability and hopefully Gus will silence all the talk of firing by having a great 2016 season. Fully believe we will...

This.

Ditto

It's not rocket science you are right. It's voodoo Magik $aban learned while down on the Bayou

Saban got to be personal friends with the NCAA Pres down on the bayou.

Yep, good ole Mark "Baghdad Bob" Emmert when it applies to all things saban.

Archived