08) Will Adams (OT) / 27 gms / 0 starts

09) Johnathan Ford (S) / 27 gms / 13 starts

10) Marcus Davis (WR) / 27 gms / 2 starts

11) Montravius Adams (DT) / 26 gms / 10 starts

12) Javiere Mitchell (LB) / 26 gms / 0 starts

13) Avery Young (OT) / 26 gms / 25 starts

14) Shon Coleman (OT) / 21 gms / 13 starts

15) Jonathan Wallace (QB-WR) / 21 gms / 4 starts

Since 2000, Auburn's most competitive teams consisted of rosters with at least 30 players with 20 games of experience, including at least 10 players with 30 games of experience. The 2015 Auburn Tigers entered the season with only 16 players of 20 games of experience, including transfer, Blake Countess. Of those 16 players, only 8 had started 10 games or more at Auburn. Though Auburn's overall roster was loaded with a high number of 4 & 5 star talent, Auburn was the least experienced roster in the SEC.

2015 Starters & Contributors:

01) T.J. Davis (CB) / 38 gms / 3 starts (Injured and unable to perform in 2015)

02) Kris Frost (LB) / 37 gms / 13 starts (Second leading tackler with 90 tackles, 16th best in the conference)

03) Ricardo Louis (WR) / 37 gms / 12 starts (Leading receiver during 2015 and second in all-purpose yardage. Louis was 15th in the SEC with 45 receptions.)

04) Cassanova McKinzy (LB-DE) / 34 gms / 28 starts (Third leading tackler on the team. Led Auburn in tackles for loss, sacks and QB hurries. McKinzy was 23rd in the SEC with 10 tackles for loss.)

05) Jonathan Jones (CB) / 33 gms / 14 starts (Jones was 4th in tackles and led Auburn with 11 passes defended. He and Blake Countess were tied for 5th in the conference with 12 passes defended.)

06) Josh Holsey (CB) / 30 gms / 19 starts (Injured and was unable to perform in 2015)

07) Robert Leff (OT) / 27 gms / 0 starts (Saw extensive time at TE and backup at OT)

08) Johnathan Ford (S) / 27 gms / 13 starts (Led Auburn with 113 tackles, which was 2nd best in the SEC.)

09) Marcus Davis (WR) / 27 gms / 2 starts (Appeared in all 12 games and was Auburn's second leading receiver with 28 receptions.)

10) Montravius Adams (DT) / 26 gms / 10 starts (Auburn's leading tackler from the defensive line with 42 tackles.

11) Javiere Mitchell (LB) / 26 gms / 0 starts (Played primarily on special teams. Finished the season with 13 tackles.)

12) Avery Young (OT) / 26 gms / 25 starts (Starter at RT)

13) Shon Coleman (OT) / 21 gms / 13 starts (Starter at LT)

Of Auburn's most experienced players, only 9 were significant contributors during the 2015 regular season. Most notably absent from the above lists were Auburn's starting quarterback and leading rusher. Not only did Auburn's starting quarterback lack experience, the Tigers ended up starting two different quarterbacks during the season. Auburn's top-3 leading rushers entered the 2015 season with a grand total of 17 game appearances. The backfield operated behind an interior OL with an average of 13 game appearances. Compounding the lack of experience on offense was the combined experience of 1 game among two fullbacks and two tight ends.

Taking the top-15 offensive contributors from the 2015 roster, the Auburn offense had a combined 212 games of experience. Compare this to the 319 games during the 2010 season, 287 in 2013 and 401 games during the 2014 season. Jeremy Johnson's early struggles forced the coaching staff to move on with red-shirt freshman, Sean White. The offense was scaled back somewhat to allow White an opportunity to gain experience. Each game he started, the Auburn coaches continued to open up the offense but White was injured and Jeremy Johnson returned as the starter. To prevent Johnson from turning the ball over, Auburn's coaches elected to scale back the offense under Johnson.

The lack of overall experience on offense and instability at the quarterback position prevented the offense from its natural maturation process as the season progressed. Alabama rarely has 20+ players with 20 gms of exp AND 10+ players with 30 gms of exp. They are so loaded at talent every year, it offsets their lack of experience. LSU and maybe UGA kind of fall under the same radar but UGA has really benefited from competing in the East. Last year and this year, MSU was #1 and Ole Miss was No. 3 in terms of scholarship players with 20 gms of experience. I believe it is the primary reason why both have been so highly competitive the last two years. When I first began to track these numbers, it was only for Auburn's roster. During the Tuberville era, his better teams came during years he had a high number of experienced players to make up for a lack of overall talent. From 2004-2015, Auburn has compiled a record of 67-12 during the 6 seasons they had at least 20 players with 20-gms of experience and at least 10 players with 30+ gms of experience. During the six seasons they did not, they compiled a record of 39-36.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course we won't truly know for sure until later but assuming all eligible players decide to come back, how is next year's team looking, experience wise?

This certainly provides hope about the future, especially with the Mississippi teams. OM will definitely regress a bit next year, losing a bunch of guys and a nasty schedule. MSU, while losing Dak, has a lot of returning defensive starters and another creampuff schedule. OM has certainly been very experienced the last couple of years.

However, I'll say it again. With all that experience in 2014...HOW THE HECK DID WE LOSE 5 GAMES?! :banghead:

This certainly provides hope about the future, especially with the Mississippi teams. It'd be GREAT if they went back to being...well...their normal selves.

However, I'll say it again. With all that experience in 2014...HOW THE HECK DID WE LOSE 5 GAMES?! I think that '14 might have been one of the most underachieving teams ever. :banghead:/>

And we had a TRUE dual threat QB then too. Keep that in mind when yall say that Gus needs a dual threat quaterback or else his career is done.

This certainly provides hope about the future, especially with the Mississippi teams. OM will definitely regress a bit next year, losing a bunch of guys and a nasty schedule. MSU, while losing Dak, has a lot of returning defensive starters and another creampuff schedule. OM has certainly been very experienced the last couple of years.

However, I'll say it again. With all that experience in 2014...HOW THE HECK DID WE LOSE 5 GAMES?! I think that '14 might have been one of the most underachieving teams ever. :banghead:/>

Really poorly coached/soft defense. Stat is saying experience wins championships...well there's another one about defense that's just as accurate and we had none in 2014.

Really poorly coached/soft defense. Stat is saying experience wins championships...well there's another one about defense that's just as accurate and we had none in 2014.

Finally agree with you on something. Anybody with common sense could see we lost games because of how poor our defense played at the end of the year. UGA being the exception, that was an overwhelming team effort.

Of course we won't truly know for sure until later but assuming all eligible players decide to come back, how is next year's team looking, experience wise?

Looks like 24 with 20 games, including 8 with 30 games

So potentially close to 50 percent better? I'll take it.

Not great, with the 30 games, but not too bad.

Thanks, Stat.

That's better than 16! Thanks Stat

However, I'll say it again. With all that experience in 2014...HOW THE HECK DID WE LOSE 5 GAMES?! :banghead:

I think Ole Miss is def. even better next year! Hugh Freeze is crushing it in recruiting but yeah who knows about MSU

God, I'm going to miss Ricardo. I hope he gets drafted to Carolina.

Wait, are you for real? <-- can't tell if serious or not)

I do actually miss Sammie Coates and Darvin Adams and i'll throw Courtney Taylor in the mix too.

I'd glad we are runningback U and not Wide Receiver U - speaking of which - who is recognized as "wide receiver University"?

wow! that put things where even i could understand them.i believe sir your thread hits the mark. thank you for posting.

This certainly provides hope about the future, especially with the Mississippi teams. It'd be

GREAT if they went back to being...well...their normal selves.

However, I'll say it again. With all that experience in 2014...HOW THE HECK DID WE

LOSE 5 GAMES?! I think that '14 might have been one of the most underachieving teams ever. :banghead:/>

And we had a TRUE dual threat QB then too. Keep that in mind when yall say that Gus

needs a dual threat quaterback or else his career is done.

So your saying we lost those games because of our QB and offense last year? With the exception of one game in 2014 the offense did their job with moving the ball and scoring. That was not the case this past season.

Excellent information Stat. Thanks for pulling it together.

But this does not remove the guilt from Malzahn for such a terrible 2015 season.

He should have foreseen this lack of experience would happen and should have scheduled more games for Auburn to play in 2013 and 2014. If he had done so this year's team would not have been so inexperienced. And Auburn would not have had the crappiest team of all of college football.

Oh and Gus should have known before the season started his leader on offense would fold. And his leader on defense would be injured in the first half of the first game.

Malzahn should be fired for this gross oversight.

This certainly provides hope about the future, especially with the Mississippi teams. It'd be

However, I'll say it again. With all that experience in 2014...HOW THE HECK DID WE

LOSE 5 GAMES?! I think that '14 might have been one of the most underachieving teams ever. :banghead:/>

And we had a TRUE dual threat QB then too. Keep that in mind when yall say that Gus

needs a dual threat quaterback or else his career is done.

So your saying we lost those games because of our QB and offense last year? With the exception of one game in 2014 the offense did their job with moving the ball and scoring. That was not the case this past season.

You're

I'm actually saying what you are saying. There are other factors such as defense and what not that can bring a season to five losses very quickly even with a DT QB. Hailing the next DT QB to be the savior just because he is juco and the last few juco johnnies turned out to be good is insane.

It's a little miss leading. Kozan started all 14 games in 2013 and Golston started all 13 in 2013 also, for Ole Miss. He played a different position but started.

Auburn's problem this past year was simple. The quarterback that everyone thought we had, wasn't that guy. After that was revealed, the team did not have the confidence and faith that they could win the tough game.

The game of football really comes down to teams making plays when it matters the most. Sometimes dumb luck, sometimes players being in the right position and sometimes poor luck. This is just one example of many throughout the year, but the kind that plaqued auburn all year: it was a third down against GA ( I believe the game was tied) Ga had the ball and the qb was sacked by Ford setting up a 4th down fg attempt, but as bad luck would have it, was called for a face mask penalty giving them first down and later to score a touchdown. If he is once inch lower on the tackle it is forth down. In my opinion, typical of auburns season.

This certainly provides hope about the future,

especially with the Mississippi teams. It'd be

needs a dual threat quaterback or else his

career is done.

So your saying we lost those games because of our QB and offense last year? With the exception of one game in 2014 the offense did

their job with moving the ball and scoring. That was not the case this past season.

You're

I'm actually saying what you are saying. There are other factors such as defense and what not

that can bring a season to five losses very quickly even with a DT QB. Hailing the next DT QB to be the savior just because he is juco and the last few juco johnnies turned out to be good is insane.

I get what you are saying, of course there are always other factors. Let's look at it from this perspective, how would we have done in 2014 without NM? I think we lose both Ole Miss and KSU which would leave us with the exact same record as this year. Just my opinion though.

Excellent information Stat. Thanks for pulling it together.

But this does not remove the guilt from Malzahn for such a terrible 2015 season.

He should have foreseen this lack of experience would happen and should have scheduled more games for Auburn to play in 2013 and 2014. If he had done so this year's team would not have been so inexperienced. And Auburn would not have had the crappiest team of all of college football.

Oh and Gus should have known before the season started his leader on offense would fold. And his leader on defense would be injured in the first half of the first game.

Malzahn should be fired for this gross oversight.

You forgot to yellow font...

It's a little miss leading. Kozan started all 14 games in 2013 and Golston started all 13 in 2013 also, for Ole Miss. He played a different position but started.

Auburn's problem this past year was simple. The quarterback that everyone thought we had, wasn't that guy. After that was revealed, the team did not have the confidence and faith that they could win the tough game.

The game of football really comes down to teams making plays when it matters the most. Sometimes dumb luck, sometimes players being in the right position and sometimes poor luck. This is just one example of many throughout the year, but the kind that plaqued auburn all year: it was a third down against GA ( I believe the game was tied) Ga had the ball and the qb was sacked by Ford setting up a 4th down fg attempt, but as bad luck would have it, was called for a face mask penalty giving them first down and later to score a touchdown. If he is once inch lower on the tackle it is forth down. In my opinion, typical of auburns season.

Problem is that this isn't the first time a QB that Gus recruited out of HS folded. Seriously, JJ this year looked EXACTLY like KF.

Also, given that Duke's problems were evident pre-season, why was Gus letting JJ room with him? I really get the feeling that Duke was the poison. If this year was really just bad luck, we had better win at least two more games next year.

Archived