so if we lose the birmingham bowl

aubiefifty

I think we have to realize why the season went bad this year. Almost everyone thought JJ was going to be great or at least very good. Many even wondered if he would only QB one year then go pro. I don' know why Gus didn't see it in practice but from my understanding most people didn't see that coming. Also we counted on a healthy Carl Lawson and that also didn't happen. If JJ had been even half decent and CL had stayed healthy we win probably 3 or 4 more games. The blame does not all fall in one place. I guess Gus is the HC so most of it is focused on him but I don't remember reading anyone on this or any board predicting the thing that happened so what I would say is that we need to put this year behind us and look forward to next year.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have to realize why the season went bad this year. Almost everyone thought JJ was going to be great or at least very good. Many even wondered if he would only QB one year then go pro. I don' know why Gus didn't see it in practice but from my understanding no one saw that coming. Also we counted on a healthy Carl Lawson and that also didn't happen. If JJ had been even half decent and CL had stayed healthy we win probably 3 or 4 more games. The blame does not all fall in one place. I guess Gus is the HC so most of it is focused on him but I don't remember reading anyone on this or any board predicting the thing that happened so what I would say is that we need to put this year behind us and look forward to next year.

FIFY

I'm not expecting a win, but it is not entirely out of the question. Memphis did well against passing teams and not so well against running teams. They beat Ole Miss, which is something even Alabama has not been able to do of late. But, I don't think Auburn will take them lightly like Ole Miss did. Auburn can't afford to take any team lightly.

If Auburn runs the ball and dominates the clock, then they have a shot at winning. But, Auburn also had the worst pass rush in the SEC and Memphis has an NFL 1st round draft pick at QB. Memphis is going to score. A lot.

Not sure if they can stop the run though. Gus needs to stick to the run and keep his foot on the pedal for 4 quarters. If he gets too cute, then Auburn is going to lose. Probably badly. Because once this team gets behind, they can't catch up quickly.

Bottomline, I'm glad Auburn gets the extra practice time. They need it. Preparing for next season is more important than the outcome of the BHM Bowl.

If they win, great. If they lose, just want them to be competitive and have worked out some of the many problems the team had during the regular season. But, with a loss, it is going to ratchet up the pressure even more during the off-season, and Auburn easily has the toughest 4-game stretch to open next season as any team in the country.

Maybe losing is the best thing, because everyone will have their backs against the wall the entire off-season and there won't being any doubt the team has to improve in every phase of the game. The next 9 months are probably the most important of Gus' career and vital to his future at Auburn. From filling coaching vacancies to recruiting to player evaluation and development, even with a potential win in the BHM Bowl, no one associated with this program needs to think for a second that what we all saw on the field this season is acceptable.

So, will I be pissed if Auburn loses? No. But, I've felt disappointed and let down since the 2nd half of the Louisville game, and there hasn't been much to make a dent in that disappointment all season.

Win or lose I will come to the board and wait for people to start more stupid threads about hypothetical situations for dramatic purpose. I can't get enough of that sh##!

well i believe they would give bama a great game if they still had the same coach. and i always thought parity was all about making things more fair. this is the difference between then and now.

And they lost 3 of their last 4 games. Yep, they beat ole miss. And ole miss beat bama. Does that mean memphis woukd beat bama? And if memphis did beat bama, bama would not be embarrassed? Auburn isn't bama, but it would still be embarrassing to lose to memphis. Ole miss was certainly embarrassed to lose to them.

Based on that logic, we're screwed.

And they lost 3 of their last 4 games. Yep, they beat ole miss. And ole miss beat bama. Does that mean memphis woukd beat bama? And if memphis did beat bama, bama would not be embarrassed? Auburn isn't bama, but it would still be embarrassing to lose to memphis. Ole miss was certainly embarrassed to lose to them.

Based on that logic, we're screwed.

I didn't say Auburn will lose. I said *** IF *** Auburn loses, it would be embarrassing. I am optimistic that Auburn can beat Memphis, if the Auburn defense shows up and the offense runs the ball effectively enough to keep Memphis offense off the field.

I think Our D may have plans to place the qb on his back. Hard to pass from that position.

I'm not expecting a win, but it is not entirely out of the question. Memphis did well against passing teams and not so well against running teams. They beat Ole Miss, which is something even Alabama has not been able to do of late. But, I don't think Auburn will take them lightly like Ole Miss did. Auburn can't afford to take any team lightly.

If Auburn runs the ball and dominates the clock, then they have a shot at winning. But, Auburn also had the worst pass rush in the SEC and Memphis has an NFL 1st round draft pick at QB. Memphis is going to score. A lot.

Not sure if they can stop the run though. Gus needs to stick to the run and keep his foot on the pedal for 4 quarters. If he gets too cute, then Auburn is going to lose. Probably badly. Because once this team gets behind, they can't catch up quickly.

Bottomline, I'm glad Auburn gets the extra practice time. They need it. Preparing for next season is more important than the outcome of the BHM Bowl.

If they win, great. If they lose, just want them to be competitive and have worked out some of the many problems the team had during the regular season. But, with a loss, it is going to ratchet up the pressure even more during the off-season, and Auburn easily has the toughest 4-game stretch to open next season as any team in the country.

Maybe losing is the best thing, because everyone will have their backs against the wall the entire off-season and there won't being any doubt the team has to improve in every phase of the game. The next 9 months are probably the most important of Gus' career and vital to his future at Auburn. From filling coaching vacancies to recruiting to player evaluation and development, even with a potential win in the BHM Bowl, no one associated with this program needs to think for a second that what we all saw on the field this season is acceptable.

So, will I be pissed if Auburn loses? No. But, I've felt disappointed and let down since the 2nd half of the Louisville game, and there hasn't been much to make a dent in that disappointment all season.

so if we lose the Birmingham Bowl, and if it's still relevant then, we will be in an ideal position (walking distance) to present our DC offer to Coach Scott.

Most fans problems was the speculation. We were in the top 4 to start the season until JJ s*** the bed and our defense wasn't changed over night. Going from thinking we would be undefeated to 6-7 with a loss in a bowl we are embarassed to be at would be painful. On top of losing the best DC in the country after showing promise. Not to mention the prices for season tickets this year made fans extra 'invested'. Lord knows prices will rise next year despite the losses.

That being said... with the exception of the LSU game, we lost most of our games by a one touchdown swing. We really COULD have won each game this year. Fought Bama tooth and nail. Healthy SW would have won us at least 2 more games. We were very similar to Florida and Georgia from a year or two ago. Injuries, key players lost, and another new DC for the players to adjust to. Holsey was a big loss early on, so was Lawson, and our LB play was only going to improve so much with our current horses.

Let people be dissapointed and don't shame them for it. When we get some surprise commits, get the positive comments during spring ball, and get a little national attention as a darkhorse fans will have amnesia.

Off the top of your head, do you know who we played in a bowl game, where it was, and if we won or not 6 years ago? 3 years ago? Not really, just got to keep looking ahead.

Who's coaching our defense this week for bowl prep? Who's watching Memphis game film and coming up with the defensive gameplan?

I imagine RL and LT.

Doubt we can slow down their qb tbh. Unless Lawson is in his backpokect all game.

Mr. Lawson says "Hello". Guys. Memphis is a good football team. They do not have SEC talent at every position. WE can beat them. We SHOULD beat them. Thus, we are favored to do so.......

That being said... with the exception of the LSU game, we lost most of our games by a one touchdown swing. We really COULD have won each game this year.

I keep seeing this posted. But we lost to MSU/Arky/OM by 8 points, UGA by 7 pts, and UAT by 16 pts. Are we just assuming we COULD have scored a TD in the red zone AND got the 2 pt conversion in those games to win them?

Mr. Lawson says "Hello". Guys. Memphis is a good football team. They do not have SEC talent at every position. WE can beat them. We SHOULD beat them. Thus, we are favored to do so.......

Cheering what little ass I got left off. WDE

Even if, however, WDE

That being said... with the exception of the LSU game, we lost most of our games by a one touchdown swing. We really COULD have won each game this year.

I keep seeing this posted. But we lost to MSU/Arky/OM by 8 points, UGA by 7 pts, and UAT by 16 pts. Are we just assuming we COULD have scored a TD in the red zone AND got the 2 pt conversion in those games to win them?

Probably not if you assume last minute scores but over the course of the game 2 scores shoulda been doable. With Gus' typical offensive production holding Ole Miss to 27, Miss St to 17, GA to 20 and Bammer to 29 could have all been wins. Miss St and Georgia for sure. Might be a different conversation this year if we were 8-4 right now.

This should be fun....

Auburnfifty never tries to start stuff. That's not what he is trying to do. If others wrote this, I'd definitely have to wonder..

I know that numnuts I just know what kind of posts some members are going to post.

Hey Golf? I wanted to let you know that I missed a hole-in-one by 18 inches last Friday. It was a 135 yard par 3 hole that has a creek running through it about 60 yards out. I have placed far too many golf balls in that drink when I hit my signature topping the ball shot. However, I have topped balls that actually made to the green on some of the shorter holes around 110 yards and less.

One day when you feel the need to come to the mountains of NC, you would be welcome to pay a visit to "Browntown" as I call it. We have 3800 sqft. of mountain home sitting 3050 feet above sea-level!

This should be fun....

Auburnfifty never tries to start stuff. That's not what he is trying to do. If others wrote this, I'd definitely have to wonder..

I know that numnuts I just know what kind of posts some members are going to post.

Hey Golf? I wanted to let you know that I missed a hole-in-one by 18 inches last Friday. It was a 135 yard par 3 hole that has a creek running through it about 60 yards out. I have placed far too many golf balls in that drink when I hit my signature topping the ball shot. However, I have topped balls that actually made to the green on some of the shorter holes around 110 yards and less.

One day when you feel the need to come to the mountains of NC, you would be welcome to pay a visit to "Browntown" as I call it. We have 3800 sqft. of mountain home sitting 3050 feet above sea-level!

Damn close doc.

Cheering what little ass I got left off. WDE

Even if, however, WDE

Considering that this is as good as a home game for us and home teams usually get 3 points anyways and, well, you do the math.

Having said that, to the OP, I have been an Auburn fan for 40+ years and have never given up on them and never will. However, I have and will continue to be disappointed with any 5+ loss season. Doesn't make me any less of a fan. I call em' like I see em' and this season should have been a 9+ win season, minimum.

Archived