about jeremy johnson

aubiefifty

people blame gus for not realizing jeremy was all that. johnson was voted preseason all sec. if you look at all the awards etc johnson has garnered to include being mr football of alabama it would seem most of those in the supposed "know" were on the jeremy band wagon. so some beat writers bashing gus are some of the same telling folks it is all coaches fault. my personal opinion is i think a player or two poisoned most of the team. i think if you sign to play for a school and it is hoped an nfl contract comes later players expect things to be fair. i would but thats just my opinion.

I do blame Gus as well as RL and the rest of the offensive coaches for having coached JJ for three years and still not knowing he was as inaccurate of a passer as he turned out.The media opinons mean nothing to me they just parrot what they are told by coaches.

i am not a professional. i just state my opinion like the rest of you do. i have never claimed to be right so lets clear that up. until i know more that is pretty close to what i am thinking right now. granted at sixty i might need to get the duster out clean out some clutter.

Don't you know that there are posters here that just because they played football in high school, they think that they know more than you do aubiefifty? :laugh:

people blame gus for not realizing jeremy was all that. johnson was voted preseason all sec. if you look at all the awards etc johnson has garnered to include being mr football of alabama it would seem most of those in the supposed "know" were on the jeremy band wagon. so some beat writers bashing gus are some of the same telling folks it is all coaches fault. my personal opinion is i think a player or two poisoned most of the team. i think if you sign to play for a school and it is hoped an nfl contract comes later players expect things to be fair. i would but thats just my opinion.

I have no idea what you just said. But here are some facts, don't let them confuse you:

Jeremy Johnson's passer rating: 2013- 195.7; 2014- 201.4; 2015- 126.4.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jeremy-johnson-5.html

AJ McCarron's passer rating: 2010- 151.2; 2011- 147.3; 2012- 175.3; 2014- 167.2.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/aj-mccarron-1.html

JJ and AJ shared about the same reps their first seasons on the field and JJ outperformed him easily.

The problem is not with JJ. The problem is the OC, Lashlee. He's an over rated GA who's being paid an enormous sum of $ for a position that he's NOT qualified. His previous success has been linked only to implementing plays that GM called, not succeeding away from the coat tails of GM. Now that Lashlee is having to stand on his own, making the majority of the calls (according to GM in his press briefings), you are seeing that he is unqualified as an OC, at least for Auburn University. Lashlee needs to be fired or GM will be next. I want GM to stay, but his loyalty to RL is sinking him. I can't believe we have an OC at AU who served only as a graduate assistant before being gifted with the AU program. It's lunacy. Yeah, he was OC at Arky State for one season. So what ?

Bringing in a more versatile qb will help but the lack of qb development will remain. NMarshall saved RL's bacon the previous two seasons.

Fire Lashlee and make DCraig the sole OC. He's the one we want. He has the skill sets required for the job.

WDE !!!

JJ played games against tougher competition than Jacksonville State and looked good. I don't understand how one loses everything he had other than mishandling. Dude lost the ability to stay in the pocket, hit tight windows, throw decisively, everything.

Now of course, everything he lost could be regained with the right QB coach, but again, I don't expect him to find what he needs here.

Sometimes it falls at the feet of the player....JJ in relief for Nick showed none of the things that plagued him this season. We also saw him look very impressive in the spring game. But the pressure of being the starting QB at AU proved to be too much for him. Gus and Rhett IMO were caught off guard just like many of us....it's all mental with Jeremy....

i come on here to have fun. not trying to troll. i would rather read a decent opinion. it is just like i doubt gus left all the play calling to lashlee after our season went south and we needed to try and right the ship. gus has always said they are a team. in the end it is on coach. maybe one day we will find out.

It amazes me how posters blame GM and RL for not developing JJ.

Well, looking at his FR and SO seasons, he seemed to be doing well as a backup when he had to play due to injuries or suspension. But then when he is given free rein his JR year, he suddenly was not being developed by his coaches.

Doesnt make sense...it simply as other players have shown, that when they become starters, and have to perform in every aspect of the game, some just dont perform as well.

It amazes me how posters blame GM and RL for not developing JJ.

Well, looking at his FR and SO seasons, he seemed to be doing well as a backup when he had to play due to injuries or suspension. But then when he is given free rein his JR year, he suddenly was not being developed by his coaches.

Doesnt make sense...it simply as other players have shown, that when they become starters, and have to perform in every aspect of the game, some just dont perform as well.

don't think anyone is blaming GM. GM has said on more than one occasion that RL is making the majority of the calls. What does "majority" mean ? Qualitative, quantitative ?

As much as I've been down on JJ and RL it wasn't (isn't) merely a two party disaster. Having WR's that couldn't be relied upon to catch a cold was certainly devastating. And the notion that having a 1000 yard rusher would be superior than spreading the yards around never.... is something I've still not made sense of. But as you said I'm not the coach, nor studied, nor ever wanted to be the anointed one.

What concerned me is that Gus has always waited to see what the prevailing identity of his team would be through ever how many games it took to find it out. Nothing ever emerged this season and Gus looked absolutely lost. Nothing was revealed to him by the cosmos so he didn't know what to do. That is very disconcerting to me. Gus seems to go into every season without an identity to his own offense!

I tend to agree with OP. Greg McElroy was singing JJ's praises pre-season. He showed film of JJ from 2013 and 2014 a described how well JJ progressed through his reads.

JJ was more accurate in 2013 and 2014. The reason was the level of competition JJ faced in the games he played in was less, and our 2013 and 2014 O-Lines were better. I don't know if JJ was ever pressured or hurried in 2013 and 2014 when he played.

I think JJ cracked under real pressure, but I also think there was poison elsewhere on the team. Don't forget JJ's roommate was Duke Williams. JJ played better later when the cancer known as Duke Williams was excised, but still wilted under pressure.

What concerned me is that Gus has always waited to see what the prevailing identity of his team would be through ever how many games it took to find it out. Nothing ever emerged this season and Gus looked absolutely lost. Nothing was revealed to him by the cosmos so he didn't know what to do. That is very disconcerting to me. Gus seems to go into every season without an identity to his own offense!

He made the choice that RL could convert from graduate assistant to OC. Whoever heard of such ? RL has implemented play calls for GM, not been the original thinker. Now it shows.

NMarshall's natural athleticism saved RL for two seasons. But each successive season the offense has grown worse.

The only thing I blame CGM and CRL for is their refusal to let a pocket passer like JJ go train in the summer with a genuine, bona fide QB guru, who would educate him, push him, and test him. JJ has talent, he just wasn't prepared for the speed, the need for fast read/progression, and the nuances of throws in different situation.

Pretty much every other starting QB at every other major football school has trained under these QB gurus. Yes, even at Bama, where they pride themselves on having the best coaching staff in the world. It's unfair to our QBs to deny them that training. (I suppose a case can be made for a dual threat QB in an option offense not needing to do that, but a pocket passer like JJ needs that.)

Yes, JJ made some bad throws. And a bunch of receivers just did not make the catches, even of perfectly thrown balls. It is NOT all on JJ. But the real criticism of the coaches should be on not allowing JJ to get the kind of professional guidance he needs and deserves, and let him prepare for the challenge of being the starter in big time college ball.

Yeah that seems pretty damning to wait a quarter into the season to see if your team is any good

This is where guys will come in and say JJ couldn't afford it, and Gus was protecting our program from the NCAA (even though nobody else has been in trouble with the NCAA because of this) it has nothing to do with GM or RL egos because unlike every other person on earth they have no faults

This is where guys will come in and say JJ couldn't afford it, and Gus was protecting our program from the NCAA (even though nobody else has been in trouble with the NCAA because of this) it has nothing to do with GM or RL egos because unlike every other person on earth they have no faults

... and afraid more practice time might be a risk in over training..

Yeah that seems pretty damning to wait a quarter into the season to see if your team is any good

It bothers me a great deal that he takes so long to get a feeling for his team.He should know after spring ball what he has for the most part.He had better figure it out sooner next season we open up with Clemson which will be better Louisville.

Archived