Staff Changes

fredst

some folks believe and maybe rightly so that Roof`s problem was Chiz meddling in his planning before games. Maybe why Roof`s halftime changes worked so well; Chiz was working on the offense and Roof got to make his own changes. Just a thought.

That is 100% fact. Lock stock fact. Wayne Bolt sat in on the D meetings. And Bolt helped, no matter if Roof or Vangorder wanted Bolt's input, plan the gameday D.

And often times Chiz -> Bolt by extension made completely changed the game plan as late as Wednesday or Thursday of game thus putting the players in a very disadvantagous situations.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not disputing, but why and the heck would Chiz have someone meddle in on coaches that had a good history of solid defenses? Seems counter-productive to me.

Because Chiz was a total control freak as a HC & did not trust his coaches, especially on D. Chiz is one of those guys who will likely always be a good DC but unless he changes his HC approach with coaches he will never be a long term succesful HC.

some folks believe and maybe rightly so that Roof`s problem was Chiz meddling in his planning before games. Maybe why Roof`s halftime changes worked so well; Chiz was working on the offense and Roof got to make his own changes. Just a thought.

That is 100% fact. Lock stock fact. Wayne Bolt sat in on the D meetings. And Bolt helped, no matter if Roof or Vangorder wanted Bolt's input, plan the gameday D.

And often times Chiz -> Bolt by extension made completely changed the game plan as late as Wednesday or Thursday of game thus putting the players in a very disadvantagous situations.

I've heard this enough times from reliable sources that there has to be truth to it, but it doesn't make it any less baffling!

Surely to God this Roof rumor is nothing more than a rumor? Someone please tell me Gus has a better grasp of this program than to even consider what this hire could do to recruiting.

Word is Roof is a legit candidate, as in Diaz, & Grantham it appears. Roof & Gus aparently got along very well when they were at AU together. Also Gus knows the D we had while Roof was here was not his. It was what Chiz forced on him. Gus may be willing to give Roof a shot to do it on his own.

Not disputing, but why and the heck would Chiz have someone meddle in on coaches that had a good history of solid defenses? Seems counter-productive to me.

Because Chiz was a total control freak as a HC & did not trust his coaches, especially on D. Chiz is one of those guys who will likely always be a good DC but unless he changes his HC approach with coaches he will never be a long term succesful HC.

hey E. What is your insight on Malzahn concerning control issues? Will he get this DC hire right? Will those above him screw this up? Hearing any leaning on the hire?

The thing that scares me about Ted Roof is his defenses declined during his time at Auburn.

Those defenses weren't his most of the time. They were more Chiz's midweek & late week alterations. I'm not saying bring Roof back. As WDE said it would cause a recruiting backlash due to our Rivals negitively recruiting the crap out of it. I'm just saying Roof never really had a fair shake @ AU & that's unfortunate.

I guess at some point the control freak aspect is so much you get blinded and don't realize you are doing more harm than good with the "recommendations" to the defense.

Roof could not recruit, he could get 2 and 3 star caliber linebackers.

He had 4* LB Trey Johnson committed to AU before he was fired.

Surely to God this Roof rumor is nothing more than a rumor? Someone please tell me Gus has a better grasp of this program than to even consider what this hire could do to recruiting.

Word is Roof is a legit candidate, as in Diaz, & Grantham it appears. Roof & Gus aparently got along very well when they were at AU together. Also Gus knows the D we had while Roof was here was not his. It was what Chiz forced on him. Gus may be willing to give Roof a shot to do it on his own.

thats what i tried to tell people back when roof was here...ted roof runs an attacking, blitz from anywhere type defense....you did not see that style when he was here before....he was running a defensive system that was not his....ted roof has done well as a DC every other place that he has been....of the three mentioned in this post, give me roof by a wide margin

hey E. What is your insight on Malzahn concerning control issues? Will he get this DC hire right? Will those above him screw this up? Hearing any leaning on the hire?

I don't think he is controlling like Chiz but at the same time he does not trust many people either. Nobody knows if he will get the DC right. The bigger question is will he get the QB sitch right? If he does then he can have a mediocre to subpar D that the O carries to 9 or 10 wins. That would save Gus's job for 2017.

The thing that scares me about Ted Roof is his defenses declined during his time at Auburn.

Those defenses weren't his most of the time. They were more Chiz's midweek & late week alterations. I'm not saying bring Roof back. As WDE said it would cause a recruiting backlash due to our Rivals negitively recruiting the crap out of it. I'm just saying Roof never really had a fair shake @ AU & that's unfortunate.

Well he still was the DC and that doesn't explain the lack of player development and progress his defenses made throughout his tenure. If your going to say Chizik had a lot to do with his failures, well one can argue maybe it was Chizik's game plan against bama in 2009 or Oregon in the 2010 championship game. It still goes both ways, and the same defense that was one of the worst in AU history in 2011 played pretty well against Virginia under Chizik in the bowl game.

Well he still was the DC and that doesn't explain the lack of player development and progress his defenses made throughout his tenure. If your going to say Chizik had a lot to do with his failures, well one can argue maybe it was Chizik's game plan against bama in 2009 or Oregon in the 2010 championship game. It still goes both ways, and the same defense that was one of the worst in AU history in 2011 played pretty well against Virginia under Chizik in the bowl game.

"The D played well against Virginia". Lol.

ted roof was not on chiziks staff at iowa state and remember paul rhoads talking about how bad the fundamentals were when he took over there?....

Well he still was the DC and that doesn't explain the lack of player development and progress his defenses made throughout his tenure.

Actually it very easily could. Kids that have completely gameplan changes late on game weeks could easily be overflooded mentally thus lowering the focus on fundamentals.
If your going to say Chizik had a lot to do with his failures, well one can argue maybe it was Chizik's game plan against bama in 2009 or Oregon in the 2010 championship game. It still goes both ways, and the same defense that was one of the worst in AU history in 2011 played pretty well against Virginia under Chizik in the bowl game.
You're missing part of the point. Complete gameplan changes 2 or 3 days before a game puts kids at a serious disadvantage. On Oregon the staff had more than a month to get everyone on the same page for that game. Om Virginia it was Chiz''s the day he fired Roof so there was no late meddling to be done and then it still was a meh show by the D. Again, I'm not saying it happened before every game, just that it happened often. Chiz may have very well not meddled late before the 2009 IB.

Chizik gets all the blame but no credit.He was the head coach for the national championship season was he not.And as for the control freak BS there is no bigger control freak on the planet than saban and it seems to work out for him.

"The D played well against Virginia". Lol.

Yeah funny right, but it still was a scary game when it was a big stage for Virginia in the Chick-fil-a bowl, Dyer was suspended for the game, and Clint Moseley was the starting QB.

No Ted Roof please....If I had the choice between Manny and Tom, I would lean towards Manny. Good thing I don't have the choice because I can see how having someone like him would be problematic.

Chizik gets all the blame but no credit.He was the head coach for the national championship season was he not.And as for the control freak BS there is no bigger control freak on the planet than saban and it seems to work out for him.

Being a control freak can definitely work. It just depends on how you do it. I guarantee you Nick hasn't been going to Kirby on Wednesday or Thursday before a game saying "What you got there, throw it out. We are doing this." Or even worse, have a minion do it.

Well he still was the DC and that doesn't explain the lack of player development and progress his defenses made throughout his tenure.

Actually it very easily could. Kids that have completely gameplan changes late on game weeks could easily be overflooded mentally thus lowering the focus on fundamentals.
If your going to say Chizik had a lot to do with his failures, well one can argue maybe it was Chizik's game plan against bama in 2009 or Oregon in the 2010 championship game. It still goes both ways, and the same defense that was one of the worst in AU history in 2011 played pretty well against Virginia under Chizik in the bowl game.
You're missing part of the point. Complete gameplan changes 2 or 3 days before a game puts kids at a serious disadvantage. On Oregon the staff had more than a month to get everyone on the same page for that game. Om Virginia it was Chiz''s the day he fired Roof so there was no late meddling to be done and then it still was a meh show by the D. Again, I'm not saying it happened before every game, just that it happened often. Chiz may have very well not meddled late before the 2009 IB.

I agree, if Chiz did change the game plan it would have put AU players at a disadvantage. You still have to think though, if Chiz is a defensive guru and the head coach he must have felt some kind away about Roof's game plans.

I agree, if Chiz did change the game plan it would have put AU players at a disadvantage. You still have to think though, if Chiz is a defensive guru and the head coach he must have felt some kind away about Roof's game plans.

He definitely is a defensive man. He has done wonders at UNC.

Chiz was and he does deserve credit.

And Saban isn't as big of a control freak as you think. Saban is hands on but he lets his assistant's do most of the coaching. A big reason why uat has been so good.

Yeah, but he did it to VanGorder too.

Yeah, but he did it to VanGorder too.

This is the thing that makes me lean toward it being a Chizik problem. Both Roof and Van Gorder were successful and improved whatever defense they inherited at multiple stops before and after Auburn. But under Chizik, they fielded terrible defenses. That tends to make me think it was less them and more CGC.

I am not even sure Roof was fired. I think it is reasonable to believe he left because of the interference. More mutual than anything. I still not sure I would want Roof. It would be a proverbial smack in the face to Chizik too.

Archived