Staff Changes

fredst

I don't see why Diaz would take a lateral position but I would be all for the hire.

Because the same position at MSU vs the same position at Auburn isn't a lateral move.

Nothing lateral about AU vs Moost. I don't care about recent wins. AU is a top ten job in America

I don't see why Diaz would take a lateral position but I would be all for the hire.

Because the same position at MSU vs the same position at Auburn isn't a lateral move.

Nothing lateral about AU vs Moost. I don't care about recent wins. AU is a top ten job in America

To be fair, I said lateral position.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you figure? Auburn may be better than MSU program wise but at least Mullen has more job security than Gus right now.

Maybe, maybe not. There's been chatter the last 3 seasons at least about Mullen jumping somewhere else.

Please no Tom Allen. At first I liked the man; but since doing some serious investigations in order to ease my mind about him, I am very uncomfortable with this possibility. I just cannot see Gus risking the keys to the kingdom with a marginal hire at best with Allen.

I usually do not care for Jacobs occasional micromanagement with coaching decisions, but I hope he will step in and tell Gus to hire a proven successful DC. I would imagine that Jacobs has told Gus to not worry about $$$ needed to bring someone in that can get us back to the level we should be at.

Allen is just way too much of a risk and could spell the end of Gus if our defense does not make substantial gains.

Diaz is a much better hire than Allen. I hope that Gus will make a great hire.

How do you figure? Auburn may be better than MSU program wise but at least Mullen has more job security than Gus right now.

Maybe, maybe not. There's been chatter the last 3 seasons at least about Mullen jumping somewhere else.

They could be in trouble talent-wise for 2016 too as well as their awful recruiting class. A bad season may be enough to push him out the door. Sure he's winning more than they're used to, but he's still not doing much in terms of putting them in the position to win national or SEC championships.

Job security isn't the end all/be all for everyone. Coaches want to win championships.

Plus Diaz is use to jumping place to place. It might be a good hire, but I hope Mr. Jacobs don't give this guy to much freedom to leave IF he is hired.

What were you thinking? Shock collar? Dirty pics with a prostitute?

I keed. I keed.

All I'm saying for him to be such a young coach he has seen the country. For both willingly and unwillingly reasons.

He would be a good hire but for how long??

Coaching career[edit]

Florida State[edit]

Diaz began his coaching career at Florida State University in 1998, working alongside defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews for two seasons. During his stint, the Florida State Seminoles appeared in two back-to-back BCS National Championship Games, a loss to the Tennessee Volunteers in the 1999 Fiesta Bowl, and a win against the Virginia Tech Hokies the 2000 Sugar Bowl.

North Carolina State[edit]

Diaz played a major role for one of the country's top-ranked defenses by coaching safeties in 2004 and 2005 and handling the linebackers in 2002 and 2003 for the NC State Wolfpack.

The 2005 NC State Wolfpack football team finished eighth nationally in total defense, sixth in third-down percentage, and twelfth in scoring defense en route to a 7-5 record and a shutout win over the South Florida Bulls in the 2005 Meineke Car Care Bowl. Diaz also served as special teams coordinator and the kickoff return unit finished fifth nationally, while the punt return team blocked four kicks.

In his first year as safeties coach and special teams coordinator in 2004, NC State's defense finished the year as the top-ranked unit in the country in total defense by allowing just over 220 yards per game. The Wolfpack defense also held national powers Ohio State and Florida State to under 130 yards of total offense during the season. Diaz, who coached All-ACC performer and former New York Jets player Andre Maddox, also had the punt return team block three kicks and take two returns for touchdowns.

Diaz handled the linebackers for NC State in 2002 and 2003. The 2003 NC State Wolfpack football team finished 7-5 with Diaz sharing play-calling duties for all 11 games. He also made all the defensive calls during the 2003 Tangerine Bowl win over the Kansas Jayhawks.

In his first year as a full-time coach, Diaz helped the Wolfpack to one of their best seasons ever, finishing 11-3 and defeating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. He shared in the play-calling duties, and NC State ended the year ranked 14th nationally in total defense and 10th in scoring defense. In back-to-back games against Florida State and Notre Dame, NC State did not allow an offensive touchdown.

Middle Tennessee[edit]

Diaz spent four seasons as defensive coordinator at Middle Tennessee State University. Diaz also coached linebackers for two years after mentoring the safeties during his first two seasons in Murfreesboro.

In four years under Diaz, the Middle Tennessee defense led its conference in sacks and tackles for loss twice, and finished no lower than third in the league in either category during his tenure. In 2009, the Blue Raiders finished second nationally in tackles for loss, stopping more than eight and a half plays per game behind the line of scrimmage. Diaz's defense also ranked sixth nationally in sacks that season, posting nearly three per game.

Also in 2009, Diaz tutored defensive end Chris McCoy who was tabbed the Sun Belt Conference co-Defensive Player of the Year. McCoy led the league and ranked sixth nationally in tackles for loss. Safety Jeremy Kellum and cornerbacks Alex Suber and Marcus Udell were also named first team all-SBC. Defensive end Jamari Lattimore along with linebackers Cam Robinson and Danny Carmichael earned second-team honors. Overall, Diaz' unit produced 17 all-conference players during his time there and put up three of the top four fewest yards allowed averages at Middle Tennessee in its FBS era.

Mississippi State[edit]

In 2010 with the Mississippi State Bulldogs, Diaz guided a defense that ranked 22nd in the nation in scoring defense (19.9 ppg), 17th in rushing defense (214.9 ypg) and 17th in tackles for loss (7.0 pg). That was a dramatic turnaround for MSU from the season prior to his arrival. In 2009, the defense finished 71st in scoring defense, 62nd in rushing defense and 89th in TFL. Mississippi State also finished ranked 13th in red zone defense (.73) and 22nd in turnovers forced (28) nationally this season.

Texas[edit]

In 2012 with the Texas Longhorns, Diaz guided the Longhorns[2]

On September 7, 2013, the Longhorns' defense, under Diaz, gave up 550 yards rushing to BYU, the most in school history. The following day, Mack Brown described the defensive performance as "unacceptable" and removed Diaz from the position of defensive coordinator.[3]

Louisiana Tech[edit]

On January 21, 2014 Espn first reported Diaz would become the new Defensive Coordinator at Louisiana Tech. This was later followed by official reports by the university.[4]

Mississippi State[edit]

On January 5, 2015 it was announced that Diaz would return to Mississippi State as Defensive Coordinator.[5]

Looks like Ted Roof is in the mix as well, but it seems like everyone is in the mix at this point. Lol

I really don't understand this one.

I don't either, but evidently Tate is reporting it.

Looks like Ted Roof is in the mix as well, but it seems like everyone is in the mix at this point. Lol

I really don't understand this one.

Gus provides the foundation, but he needs a Roof.

Unfortunately 2 great DL coaches are now off the board. Garner has decided to stay at Georgia and Mark Richt just landed Craig Kuglowski (former Missouri DL coach).

Garner's staying at Georgia? Crap we're screwed

With all the talk of who will be the next DC. I honestly feel that CGM will find the best available. Personally, I am hoping we can pry Chavis away from A&M or Shannon from Florida. Regardless, I think we hit rock bottom with the Gus bus this past season. I really don't think we can do worse than that. Having said that, I think we will be considerably better on offense next year. That leaves defense. We will be as good or better on defense because our young players that played will be a year older, a very good recruiting class and Malzahn will be all business this next season knowing his job is on the line if we have similar results. What do I want in a DC? Sound tackling, pressure...pressure...pressure on the quarterback. jam the receivers at the line of scrimmage and turn your head when ball is in the air from the DB's, ball hawks at LB, and a DL that dominates the line of scrimmage.

Question, would Roof be a better hire than Allen or Thompson???

Ive been thinking about that one and if Roof is hired and Thompson Coaches the LB, would it be that bad ?

Allen is just a toss up, at least Roof has the experience and runs a pretty good scheme. Remember who Roofs assistants were? They sucked (not rocker) but the others did. Roof, Garner, Thompson, and a really good DB coach might just work.

Ted Roof is an established, capable DC. During his time at Auburn the half-time adjustments were absolutely the best we've had for decades. Why the first half results sucked is anybody's guess but we could do a lot worse than Ted Roof. I didn't like seeing him go and I'd be happy to see him coming back, though I don't think it will happen.

Ted Roof is an established, capable DC. During his time at Auburn the half-time adjustments were absolutely the best we've had for decades. Why the first half results sucked is anybody's guess but we could do a lot worse than Ted Roof. I didn't like seeing him go and I'd be happy to see him coming back, though I don't think it will happen.

I've meet Roof several times. Good guy. But if he is the guy then Gus is in way over his head coaching AU. IMO. I thought Gus had his man, based on no info coming from the football complex. Guess the no info is actually just no info and Gus is really struggling to fill the job. What a mess.

I've meet Roof several times. Good guy. But if he is the guy then Gus is in way over his head coaching AU. IMO. I thought Gus had his man, based on no info coming from the football complex. Guess the no info is actually just no info and Gus is really struggling to fill the job. What a mess.

My theory is that he has so many people clamoring for the job that he is having a hard time sorting them out to get the best guy. Pretty soon he will be down to the top 2 or 3 and make a decision from them.

Be patient folks....it's gonna work out.

i want malzahn to do well, but i just have serious doubts that he can get us over the hump.....we could do a lot worse than ted roof....he was a much better DC than he will ever get credit for being, but i just think recycling him is not a good idea, at the moment.

Roof was a good coach that got screwed by the Chizik regime and is tarnished in the minds of AU fans. I don't see it happening, but CGM and CTR have had pretty good success together.

Roof was a good coach that got screwed by the Chizik regime and is tarnished in the minds of AU fans. I don't see it happening, but CGM and CTR have had pretty good success together.

I think Roof is a good coach. But AU hiring a guy that AU basically fired 4 years ago will be hard to stop the negative recruiting that uat and uga will be doing.

I guess you could look at it that way but if I recall correctly, people on this board were calling for Roof to go about half way through the season and even after he did a good job of shutting down Oregon, there were the folks on this board wanting him "gone" ....and had been calling for his dismissal for a long time afterward. I got the feeling that Chiz caved in to the pressure....JMO

Archived