Staff Changes

fredst

OK, this has been a lot of fun with the DC hire and all. I do not think that there has been as much anticipation as we had last year when we were holding our breath while watching it all unfold with the hiring of XCWM. This has actually been a bit of fun in an odd sort of way.

I have tried to compile a list of coaches whose names have been associated with the job:

1. Lance Thompson

2. Bob Shoop

3. Charles Kelly

4. Tom Allen

5. Ed Orgeron

6. Rocky Long

7. Nate Woody

8. Mike Hankwitz

9. Many Diaz

10. Mel Tucker

11. Chuck Amato

12. John Chavis

13. Paul Rhoades

14. Mike Shannon

15. Geoff Collins

16. Todd Grantham

I am not sure if this covers all that have been mentioned. If you know of any additional names, feel free to add to the list. we all know that only 1 person will get the gig. Who knows, the person chosen may not even be on this list.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I would love closure on this, I got to thinking...how does it look to Coach Thompson to name the new DC, if there is one, before the bowl, which he was specifically promoted to coordinate? Coaches and fans want the best for their program, but that's asking a lot, knowing he has not only shown interest in the permanent position, but chose not to follow the boom to SC. Sort of like dancing with everyone else at the prom EXCEPT the one you came with.

I would like to know how many interim DCs for bowl games have actually gotten the gig after having a big game. Does anyone come to mind? At this point, I think I would rather have LT than Allen if it came down to these 2.

I personally think that the primary reason (absent the misses with Kelley and whomever else) is that Gus isn't panicking, and wants to see if LT is a viable option or not. If the D shows up to play with the same vigor we saw in the late season and doesn't regress, then he is the guy and will be named before the new year. Memphis has a terrific QB and a good offense - if the D works, why change it?

That said, if we lose soundly and the D looks lost, then Gus pulls the trigger on one of the SEC names. I think he has legitimate concerns with someone like Diaz or Orgeron (the sleeper here). Diaz flamed out at UT as DC for whatever reason and could be perceived to be a retread. Orgeron could recruit a snowman to play for Solar State, but is as nuts as they come outside of Les Miles and maybe Mike Leach. He's also had some goofy stops at TN and USCw with Kiffin - although that makes for a good story come the Iron Bowl.

Just my feelings.

I happen to agree. All this time Gus has been observing how the defense responds to Lance during practice. At the same time, he has gone about the business of having an alternative lined up. Gus also knows there will be a lot of support for Lance, both on the team and with the community, if the defense plays well for him in the bowl game. So if the defense responds well I think he will name Lance. But if it doesn't then Gus will go to his alternative plan but then people will be more accepting of someone else. Win win

IMO, if it was going to be Thompson, Malzahn would have already done it and let him start building his staff. He knows how the players respond during practice and how they will respond in a game. I hope Malzahn is not going to base a critical hire on the performance in one game. You base it on the entire body of work of the coach not one game.

I'm not suggesting you base the decision on one game. But you sure do look to that game to see how a team that may have responded well to a coach translates it to the field. Gus should have learned to do that from the JJ situation. So no, Gus doesn't already know how well the team will respond to Lance in an actual game and he doesn't know how well Lance can call a game or handle a game time situation when he is in charge.

So you look at his coaching background, look at how well he interacts with staff, how well he has coached these current players, see how it translates to a real game, take all of it into account and make a decision. That is what I am suggesting. Lance will also be the only candidate that gets this unique opportunity and the only one Gus will get to observe with his own players.

But, he may not be coaching his defense in this game. He is coaching Muschamp's defense. He is not reconstructing the defense in two weeks of practice for one bowl game. I don't see how you base a decision on that. It can factor in a decision but you don't audition under those circumstances.

Nothing wrong with that...in fact, I would be happy to see him coach CWM's defense....if we have the players for it, would mean the defensive players would not have to learn another new defensive language.

Where is it written that every DC has to come in with some "original" defensive scheme or philosophy? Why not take a proven scheme...and teach the players how to execute it well? :dunno:/>

Is it possible that Gus doesn't want to hire anyone until after signing day in fear of losing recruits? Our recruits dont seem to mind so far that we don't have a guy. Lol.

Just because the recruits are "fine" now, doesn't mean that they'll continue to be "fine" a month+ from now (Signing Day) if we still don't have a DC. C'mon man, are you serious?

I'm guessing the "lol" at the end suggests he's not serious. Call me crazy.

Yea it did, but most of these fellas don't pick up on sarcasm. Any chance they can have to make you think that they think more practically than you is an opportunity that can't be wasted.

OK, this has been a lot of fun with the DC hire and all. I do not think that there has been as much anticipation as we had last year when we were holding our breath while watching it all unfold with the hiring of XCWM. This has actually been a bit of fun in an odd sort of way.

I have tried to compile a list of coaches whose names have been associated with the job:

1. Lance Thompson

2. Bob Shoop

3. Charles Kelly

4. Tom Allen

5. Ed Orgeron

6. Rocky Long

7. Nate Woody

8. Mike Hankwitz

9. Many Diaz

10. Mel Tucker

11. Chuck Amato

12. John Chavis

13. Paul Rhoades

14. Mike Shannon

15. Geoff Collins

16. Todd Grantham

I am not sure if this covers all that have been mentioned. If you know of any additional names, feel free to add to the list. we all know that only 1 person will get the gig. Who knows, the person chosen may not even be on this list.

I mentioned Ditka early on in the thread, but that is mostly because I just mention Ditka as an answer to any coaching search. I still think Hurricane Ditka should be included based on his status alone.

1. Lance Thompson

2. Bob Shoop

3. Charles Kelly

4. Tom Allen

5. Ed Orgeron

6. Rocky Long

7. Nate Woody

8. Mike Hankwitz

9. Many Diaz

10. Mel Tucker

11. Chuck Amato

12. John Chavis

13. Paul Rhoades

14. Mike Shannon

15. Geoff Collins

16. Todd Grantham

I mentioned Ditka early on in the thread, but that is mostly because I just mention Ditka as an answer to any coaching search. I still think Hurricane Ditka should be included based on his status alone.

Hard to take the list seriously without Ditka on it. Even if we have no shot.

Well if we go off Gus's DC by the end of the week answer, if you are a Friday is the end of the week person then that is the 1st of January. If your a Sunday is the end of the week person that is the 3rd of January. We know it is some one from the SEC. Now we can narrow it down to the following people.

29th - LSU - Oregeon

30th - Miss St. - Diaz

TX A&M - Chavis

31st - FL ST - Kelly

Alabama - Tucker (possible additional game)

1st - Florida - Shannon

Is it possible that Gus doesn't want to hire anyone until after signing day in fear of losing recruits? Our recruits dont seem to mind so far that we don't have a guy. Lol.

Just because the recruits are "fine" now, doesn't mean that they'll continue to be "fine" a month+ from now (Signing Day) if we still don't have a DC. C'mon man, are you serious?

I'm guessing the "lol" at the end suggests he's not serious. Call me crazy.

Yea it did, but most of these fellas don't pick up on sarcasm. Any chance they can have to make you think that they think more practically than you is an opportunity that can't be wasted.

My mistake, I didn't pick up on the LOL. Sometimes it takes me a little while to pick up on a poster's sense of humor. :-)

1. Lance Thompson

2. Bob Shoop

3. Charles Kelly

4. Tom Allen

5. Ed Orgeron

6. Rocky Long

7. Nate Woody

8. Mike Hankwitz

9. Many Diaz

10. Mel Tucker

11. Chuck Amato

12. John Chavis

13. Paul Rhoades

14. Mike Shannon

15. Geoff Collins

16. Todd Grantham

Why would Rocky Long want to quit as a HC to come be a DC at Auburn?

I would love it if we got Joe Whitt Jr. away from Green Bay. I know many say he is/was working his way up in the NFL, but he has seemed stuck in the Packer secondary for who knows how long now. I just think if we went ahead and gave him the chance to be a DC he might heavily consider it.

Resume for those who don't know him: http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/joe-whitt-jr/4998944b-31d0-4e8c-9444-e442247665ff

Could just be a bit of wishful thinking on my part. But who knows.

I would love it if we got Joe Whitt Jr. away from Green Bay. I know many say he is/was working his way up in the NFL, but he has seemed stuck in the Packer secondary for who knows how long now. I just think if we went ahead and gave him the chance to be a DC he might heavily consider it.

You never know...

Well if we go off Gus's DC by the end of the week answer, if you are a Friday is the end of the week person then that is the 1st of January. If your a Sunday is the end of the week person that is the 3rd of January. We know it is some one from the SEC. Now we can narrow it down to the following people.

29th - LSU - Oregeon

30th - Miss St. - Diaz

TX A&M - Chavis

31st - FL ST - Kelly

Alabama - Tucker (possible additional game)

1st - Florida - Shannon

Solid.

Resume for those who don't know him: http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/joe-whitt-jr/4998944b-31d0-4e8c-9444-e442247665ff

Did you see their game against Arizona? I'm gonna have to flush all his hard work down the drain because of that game.....no thanks!

:)

Resume for those who don't know him: http://www.packers.c...44-e442247665ff

Did you see their game against Arizona? I'm gonna have to flush all his hard work down the drain because of that game.....no thanks!

:)

Hahaha...just note that 2 of Arizona's TD's were defensive scores.

Resume for those who don't know him: http://www.packers.c...44-e442247665ff

:)/>

Hahaha...just note that 2 of Arizona's TD's were defensive scores.

Not to mention Aaron Rodgers was beat up like a rag doll.

Can someone remind me...where/who said that it is DEFINITELY someone from another SEC school?

Jay G Tate said we were focusing our efforts at another SEC school.

Ok. Thanks. I knew I had heard it, just couldn't remember.

Can someone remind me...where/who said that it is DEFINITELY someone from another SEC school?

Jay G Tate said we were focusing our efforts at another SEC school.

Ok. Thanks. I knew I had heard it, just couldn't remember.

We talked to Diaz.

I don't see why Diaz would take a lateral position but I would be all for the hire.

Because the same position at MSU vs the same position at Auburn isn't a lateral move.

I don't see why Diaz would take a lateral position but I would be all for the hire.

Because the same position at MSU vs the same position at Auburn isn't a lateral move.

Nothing lateral about AU vs Moost. I don't care about recent wins. AU is a top ten job in America

How do you figure? Auburn may be better than MSU program wise but at least Mullen has more job security than Gus right now.

Archived