Staff Changes

fredst

Hopefully the fans have no influence whatsoever on his decision...however if there is a good defensive showing I think Gus will have to consider him along with any other candidates....If Lance can teach aggressive play, tackling and keep the other team from scoring...then let's do it....I mean he had to learn something from Saban....

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I would love closure on this, I got to thinking...how does it look to Coach Thompson to name the new DC, if there is one, before the bowl, which he was specifically promoted to coordinate? Coaches and fans want the best for their program, but that's asking a lot, knowing he has not only shown interest in the permanent position, but chose not to follow the boom to SC. Sort of like dancing with everyone else at the prom EXCEPT the one you came with.

I personally think that the primary reason (absent the misses with Kelley and whomever else) is that Gus isn't panicking, and wants to see if LT is a viable option or not. If the D shows up to play with the same vigor we saw in the late season and doesn't regress, then he is the guy and will be named before the new year. Memphis has a terrific QB and a good offense - if the D works, why change it?

That said, if we lose soundly and the D looks lost, then Gus pulls the trigger on one of the SEC names. I think he has legitimate concerns with someone like Diaz or Orgeron (the sleeper here). Diaz flamed out at UT as DC for whatever reason and could be perceived to be a retread. Orgeron could recruit a snowman to play for Solar State, but is as nuts as they come outside of Les Miles and maybe Mike Leach. He's also had some goofy stops at TN and USCw with Kiffin - although that makes for a good story come the Iron Bowl.

Just my feelings.

I happen to agree. All this time Gus has been observing how the defense responds to Lance during practice. At the same time, he has gone about the business of having an alternative lined up. Gus also knows there will be a lot of support for Lance, both on the team and with the community, if the defense plays well for him in the bowl game. So if the defense responds well I think he will name Lance. But if it doesn't then Gus will go to his alternative plan but then people will be more accepting of someone else. Win win

Hopefully the fans have no influence whatsoever on his decision...however if there is a good defensive showing I think Gus will have to consider him along with any other candidates....If Lance can teach aggressive play, tackling and keep the other team from scoring...then let's do it....I mean he had to learn something from Saban....

Honestly, if we really do have an influence on who Gus hires, we're in far worse shape than anyone ever imagined ;D

Please pardon me if this has been mentioned but I read that Va Tech is hiring the Memphis Head Coach, would this mean that Bud Foster may be in play? How would AU fans react if this was a possibility? If we want stability he has been there 20+ years....I think 29, and seems to be a solid choice, especially considering the talent level at AU vs. Va Tech. Just typing out load here..... not an insider or anything like that just trying to think outside the box.

No, Foster has agreed to stay at VT as the DC.

Good cause he just gave up 52 points and almost 600 yards in the bowl game

As much as I would love closure on this, I got to thinking...how does it look to Coach Thompson to name the new DC, if there is one, before the bowl, which he was specifically promoted to coordinate? Coaches and fans want the best for their program, but that's asking a lot, knowing he has not only shown interest in the permanent position, but chose not to follow the boom to SC. Sort of like dancing with everyone else at the prom EXCEPT the one you came with.

I personally think that the primary reason (absent the misses with Kelley and whomever else) is that Gus isn't panicking, and wants to see if LT is a viable option or not. If the D shows up to play with the same vigor we saw in the late season and doesn't regress, then he is the guy and will be named before the new year. Memphis has a terrific QB and a good offense - if the D works, why change it?

That said, if we lose soundly and the D looks lost, then Gus pulls the trigger on one of the SEC names. I think he has legitimate concerns with someone like Diaz or Orgeron (the sleeper here). Diaz flamed out at UT as DC for whatever reason and could be perceived to be a retread. Orgeron could recruit a snowman to play for Solar State, but is as nuts as they come outside of Les Miles and maybe Mike Leach. He's also had some goofy stops at TN and USCw with Kiffin - although that makes for a good story come the Iron Bowl.

Just my feelings.

I happen to agree. All this time Gus has been observing how the defense responds to Lance during practice. At the same time, he has gone about the business of having an alternative lined up. Gus also knows there will be a lot of support for Lance, both on the team and with the community, if the defense plays well for him in the bowl game. So if the defense responds well I think he will name Lance. But if it doesn't then Gus will go to his alternative plan but then people will be more accepting of someone else. Win win

IMO, if it was going to be Thompson, Malzahn would have already done it and let him start building his staff. He knows how the players respond during practice and how they will respond in a game. I hope Malzahn is not going to base a critical hire on the performance in one game. You base it on the entire body of work of the coach not one game.

Please pardon me if this has been mentioned but I read that Va Tech is hiring the Memphis Head Coach, would this mean that Bud Foster may be in play? How would AU fans react if this was a possibility? If we want stability he has been there 20+ years....I think 29, and seems to be a solid choice, especially considering the talent level at AU vs. Va Tech. Just typing out load here..... not an insider or anything like that just trying to think outside the box.

And we all know a poor performance in a bowl game is an automatic disqualifier...

And we all know a poor performance in a bowl game is an automatic disqualifier...

True...so what is the "qualifier" for points allowed in a bowl game this year? Should it be required that the DC hold an opponent under ....what?? maybe it has to be fewer than 30 points to earn a shot at our DC job?

Is it possible that Gus doesn't want to hire anyone until after signing day in fear of losing recruits? Our recruits dont seem to mind so far that we don't have a guy. Lol.

Is it possible that Gus doesn't want to hire anyone until after signing day in fear of losing recruits? Our recruits dont seem to mind so far that we don't have a guy. Lol.

No.

Certainly an option I hadn't considered. I THINK he'd likely be more concerned about getting the right guy and letting that guy convince recruits to stay/come but you never really know what someone is thinking. With recruiting going well right now, it is a possibility. Good thought.

Certainly an option I hadn't considered. I THINK he'd likely be more concerned about getting the right guy and letting that guy convince recruits to stay/come but you never really know what someone is thinking. With recruiting going well right now, it is a possibility. Good thought.

It's a great conspiracy.....all the defensive commitments know but they have been sworn to secrecy about it. That's the only thing that explains the good and solid commitments the past couple weeks....

No, but it is possible that "The Guy" is coaching on a team that has yet to play its bowl game and the announcement won't be made until after that team plays.

Just my feelings.

IMO, if it was going to be Thompson, Malzahn would have already done it and let him start building his staff. He knows how the players respond during practice and how they will respond in a game. I hope Malzahn is not going to base a critical hire on the performance in one game. You base it on the entire body of work of the coach not one game.

I understand what you are saying, but I submit that seeing someone coach an actual game as DC is an important component of "body of work". I think this year is a perfect and painful example of the importance of seeing something outside the practice fields.

In Coach Malzahn's mind, from his words to the press, he has a DC, interim or not. Fans are the ones grabbing for bones. It's what he doesn't say as sure as what he has said when interviewed...and again, the recruits not being rattled speaks volumes. Add what he does for "entertainment" reading 105 pages of trying to get inside his mind (sarc drip). Definitely a CLOSE TO THE VEST guy. :-) The next few days will tell a lot. He's in the catbird seat right now. All he already knows about present staff...plus some reveal...in addition to what's being revealed by those still in bowls, plus reflections on records/team fit by those not or done. "Make no mistake, NO ONE knows the stakes more, NO DOUBT."

Just my feelings.

You sure do base it on the body of work, but I can't help but wonder how much leeway Coach Thompson had to "defensively coordinate" when CWM was at the helm. Totally different product and responsibilities. This IS a rare audition opportunity, in front of one who values loyalty. Not saying he's the one or should be, but then again, hmmmm. Another great research project...how many interims have gone on to be hired permanently, head or position?

Just my feelings.

You sure do base it on the body of work, but I can't help but wonder how much leeway Coach Thompson had to "defensively coordinate" when CWM was at the helm. Totally different product and responsibilities. This IS a rare audition opportunity, in front of one who values loyalty. Not saying he's the one or should be, but then again, hmmmm. Another great research project...how many interims have gone on to be hired permanently, head or position?

No many lately...most that I'm aware of have flunked their final exams....USCe, Miami....probably some others too.

Just my feelings.

I'm not suggesting you base the decision on one game. But you sure do look to that game to see how a team that may have responded well to a coach translates it to the field. Gus should have learned to do that from the JJ situation. So no, Gus doesn't already know how well the team will respond to Lance in an actual game and he doesn't know how well Lance can call a game or handle a game time situation when he is in charge.

So you look at his coaching background, look at how well he interacts with staff, how well he has coached these current players, see how it translates to a real game, take all of it into account and make a decision. That is what I am suggesting. Lance will also be the only candidate that gets this unique opportunity and the only one Gus will get to observe with his own players.

Just because the recruits are "fine" now, doesn't mean that they'll continue to be "fine" a month+ from now (Signing Day) if we still don't have a DC. C'mon man, are you serious?

Just my feelings.

I'm not suggesting you base the decision on one game. But you sure do look to that game to see how a team that may have responded well to a coach translates it to the field. Gus should have learned to do that from the JJ situation. So no, Gus doesn't already know how well the team will respond to Lance in an actual game and he doesn't know how well Lance can call a game or handle a game time situation when he is in charge.

So you look at his coaching background, look at how well he interacts with staff, how well he has coached these current players, see how it translates to a real game, take all of it into account and make a decision. That is what I am suggesting. Lance will also be the only candidate that gets this unique opportunity and the only one Gus will get to observe with his own players.

But, he may not be coaching his defense in this game. He is coaching Muschamp's defense. He is not reconstructing the defense in two weeks of practice for one bowl game. I don't see how you base a decision on that. It can factor in a decision but you don't audition under those circumstances.

Just my feelings.

But, he may not be coaching his defense in this game. He is coaching Muschamp's defense. He is not reconstructing the defense in two weeks of practice for one bowl game. I don't see how you base a decision on that. It can factor in a decision but you don't audition under those circumstances.

Nothing wrong with that...in fact, I would be happy to see him coach CWM's defense....if we have the players for it, would mean the defensive players would not have to learn another new defensive language.

Where is it written that every DC has to come in with some "original" defensive scheme or philosophy? Why not take a proven scheme...and teach the players how to execute it well? :dunno:

Just because the recruits are "fine" now, doesn't mean that they'll continue to be "fine" a month+ from now (Signing Day) if we still don't have a DC. C'mon man, are you serious?

I'm guessing the "lol" at the end suggests he's not serious. Call me crazy.

I agree. Whoever we get it will be their job to convince these recruits how they fit into his style of defense. We might lose a couple but I think we'd lose a whole lot more if they had no idea what they were getting into without a DC named.

I'm guessing the "lol" at the end suggests he's not serious. Call me crazy.

It appears the lol went with his second sentence, not the first.

Just my feelings.

If things go well, my thinking would be that Lance would want to keep the same defensive scheme. That would be my guess. But I would also think that Gus and he have already had discussions about that very thing. But you touch on another important issue.

We cant keep switching the base defense back and forth on our players by running whatever defense a particular DC happens to bring to the table. At some point in Gus's tour as a HC, he needs to decide what defense HE wants for his team and what defense HE thinks is most compatible with his offense. Make that decision, recruit the players to it, choose DCs that can run it and stick with it.

Archived